HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Goaltending discussion thread (edit: Markstrom called up)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-13-2013, 03:01 PM
  #451
LuckyLuke87
Registered User
 
LuckyLuke87's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Prague
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 226
vCash: 500
Gotta say I'm quite unimpressed with Markstrom so far. Considering the team in front of him, I didn't expect Jacob winning game after game but I was looking forward to solid goaltending with occasional steal. But after last game I have to say Jacob's got ways to go even to the solid part, let alone stealing games. It's not what I was waiting for 3+ years... Considering Jacob is the future of this team, it's not looking good right now.

LuckyLuke87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:48 AM
  #452
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme
 
King Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Riverside, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,054
vCash: 500
Ive said it several times and Ill say it again. If I was DT I would go acquire Bernier.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Then Id let Marky Mark and JB fight it out. If only one of them develops then you keep that one and now we have a franchise goalie. If they both develop then you trade one and get whatever your paid back.

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:05 PM
  #453
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 26,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLuke87 View Post
Gotta say I'm quite unimpressed with Markstrom so far. Considering the team in front of him, I didn't expect Jacob winning game after game but I was looking forward to solid goaltending with occasional steal. But after last game I have to say Jacob's got ways to go even to the solid part, let alone stealing games. It's not what I was waiting for 3+ years... Considering Jacob is the future of this team, it's not looking good right now.
"Considering the team in front of him...but I won't."

I actually found myself rolling my eyes, but if I'm gonna jump on people about not taking things into account for Gudbranson, I've gotta do the same for Marks. That said, not looking good right now? Cmon.

__________________
So you're saying there's a chance!
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:07 PM
  #454
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 26,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
Ive said it several times and Ill say it again. If I was DT I would go acquire Bernier.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Then Id let Marky Mark and JB fight it out. If only one of them develops then you keep that one and now we have a franchise goalie. If they both develop then you trade one and get whatever your paid back.
Him or Bishop, whichever is cheaper, but Coolburn said the FA pool for goalies will be good.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:24 PM
  #455
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 15,560
vCash: 500
Why should we give up assets for Bernier or Bishop? They're not going to come cheap. I don't want to give up a 2nd or maybe even more, when we can just sign a goalie in free agency.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:37 PM
  #456
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme
 
King Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Riverside, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Why should we give up assets for Bernier or Bishop? They're not going to come cheap. I don't want to give up a 2nd or maybe even more, when we can just sign a goalie in free agency.
Because having a franchise goalie is worth that price and more. Markstrom has potential, but it is far from guaranteed that he becomes the stud goalie we need. Bernier has just as much or more potential and has very good numbers in the NHL. Having the two of them almost guarantees we would end up with a stud goalie for the next 10+ years. And if they both becomes studs then we trade one away. Im not an expert on the business and politics of the NHL, my point is just that having two young potential all star goalies would be the best case scenario. But if the business/contract realities prevent it, then so be it.

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:54 PM
  #457
Evgeny Oliker
Registered User
 
Evgeny Oliker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,295
vCash: 500
What Markstrom needs more than anything else is to PLAY. So why bring in another goalie? That would mean Markstrom plays less.

I dont think Bernier or Bishop are in the same ball park as Markstrom. Bernier is a step below. Bishop is 2 steps below. Both are on better teams so of course they will have better numbers so far...its not a fair comparison.

You guys are out of the playoffs...let The Alien play!

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:05 PM
  #458
billysbreakdown
Registered User
 
billysbreakdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,286
vCash: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker View Post
What Markstrom needs more than anything else is to PLAY. So why bring in another goalie? That would mean Markstrom plays less.

I dont think Bernier or Bishop are in the same ball park as Markstrom. Bernier is a step below. Bishop is 2 steps below. Both are on better teams so of course they will have better numbers so far...its not a fair comparison.

You guys are out of the playoffs...let The Alien play!
This so much.

Markstrom's gonna be absolutely fine. Let him play and get more comfortable.
Bringing in Bishop, nonetheless Bernier, would make no sense.

billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:02 PM
  #459
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 15,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
Because having a franchise goalie is worth that price and more. Markstrom has potential, but it is far from guaranteed that he becomes the stud goalie we need. Bernier has just as much or more potential and has very good numbers in the NHL. Having the two of them almost guarantees we would end up with a stud goalie for the next 10+ years. And if they both becomes studs then we trade one away. Im not an expert on the business and politics of the NHL, my point is just that having two young potential all star goalies would be the best case scenario. But if the business/contract realities prevent it, then so be it.
Markstrom will be fine. If he was playing on L.A. or Ottawa right now, he'd have far better numbers. He looks good right now, he is learning and has taken some lumps but he seems to be progressing. If by this time next season he doesn't look like he's our goalie of the future, that's when you get ready to make some sort of move. There's no point in paying a high price for a young goalie right now when we already have one of the most highly regarded young goalies in hockey.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:13 PM
  #460
flapanthersfan
Registered User
 
flapanthersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,684
vCash: 500
i don't want ben bishop. he reminds me of a bigger, slightly more athetic (but not by much) version of Alex Auld. don't like him.

Bernier will be very good but will cost a blue-chip asset. it's not worth it.

if we go the route of bringing in an unproven goalie, i'd want it to be Anton Khudobin. i love his game, quick as hell, great reflexes, great athleticism. his only downfall is he is small, but in his limited time in the NHL it hasn't mattered.

he'll be a UFA at seasons end so he wont cost us anything (asset-wise) to bring in.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:18 PM
  #461
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 26,629
vCash: 500
I speaking in terms of a backup; one that can challenge works for me. Theo and Clem fed off each other it seemed last season.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:19 PM
  #462
Erick
Registered User
 
Erick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 11,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
i don't want ben bishop. he reminds me of a bigger, slightly more athetic (but not by much) version of Alex Auld. don't like him.

Bernier will be very good but will cost a blue-chip asset. it's not worth it.

if we go the route of bringing in an unproven goalie, i'd want it to be Anton Khudobin. i love his game, quick as hell, great reflexes, great athleticism. his only downfall is he is small, but in his limited time in the NHL it hasn't mattered.

he'll be a UFA at seasons end so he wont cost us anything (asset-wise) to bring in.
He'll cost us money.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:17 PM
  #463
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 7,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLuke87 View Post
Gotta say I'm quite unimpressed with Markstrom so far. Considering the team in front of him, I didn't expect Jacob winning game after game but I was looking forward to solid goaltending with occasional steal. But after last game I have to say Jacob's got ways to go even to the solid part, let alone stealing games. It's not what I was waiting for 3+ years... Considering Jacob is the future of this team, it's not looking good right now.
Feeling better?

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:00 PM
  #464
inxs
Registered User
 
inxs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 47
vCash: 500
Another game with only 1 goal allowed.

Saving % : 922 now

Brodeur 2.0

inxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:25 PM
  #465
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 7,862
vCash: 500
“@GeorgeRichards: #FlaPanthers GM Dale Tallon tells ST renewal group bringing Jose Theodore back next season a possibility w/ @j_markstrom”

oh there is a god.....

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:32 PM
  #466
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 26,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
“@GeorgeRichards: #FlaPanthers GM Dale Tallon tells ST renewal group bringing Jose Theodore back next season a possibility w/ @j_markstrom”

oh there is a god.....
Wonder if Clem gets moved by this week or at the deadline. Who needs a free falling net minder who's a great guy?

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:36 PM
  #467
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 7,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Wonder if Clem gets moved by this week or at the deadline. Who needs a free falling net minder who's a great guy?

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 01:27 AM
  #468
Panthers Rock
Moderator
Slumpin' Like A Soph
 
Panthers Rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Winter Springs, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 5,451
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Wonder if Clem gets moved by this week or at the deadline. Who needs a free falling net minder who's a great guy?
We re-signed Jamie McLennan? Weird.

__________________

Jonathan Huberdeau: 2013 Calder Trophy Winner
Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:51 AM
  #469
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 7,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers Rock View Post
We re-signed Jamie McLennan? Weird.
Mclennan >>> Clemmer

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 05:01 PM
  #470
Panthersfan1989
Registered User
 
Panthersfan1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: S. Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 897
vCash: 500
Are people still questioning markstrom being the future? He's played pretty damn well recently.

Panthersfan1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 05:18 PM
  #471
Don Tibbles
Nothing to see here
 
Don Tibbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthersfan1989 View Post
Are people still questioning markstrom being the future? He's played pretty damn well recently.
Not me. But, it wouldn't hurt to have some solid backup(s). We don't have any luck when it comes to injuries.

Don Tibbles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 07:03 PM
  #472
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 7,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthersfan1989 View Post
Are people still questioning markstrom being the future? He's played pretty damn well recently.
No but he'll play 50,55 gms so we need a competent b/u for 25 gms + & a mentor.

i know most wont agree, but boy would Vokun be perfect.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 08:06 AM
  #473
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator
 
Boothinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,927
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
No but he'll play 50,55 gms so we need a competent b/u for 25 gms + & a mentor.

i know most wont agree, but boy would Vokun be perfect.
I still think Khudobin would be a better fit. There is no need to bring a player of the losing era back..

Boothinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 08:45 AM
  #474
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 7,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothinator View Post
I still think Khudobin would be a better fit. There is no need to bring a player of the losing era back..
I get that. Plus he's doing so well in Pitt they'll resign him.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:09 AM
  #475
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat
 
PantherboyHTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Blue Jay Nation...
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
I get that. Plus he's doing so well in Pitt they'll resign him.
Opps, wrong guy.

My vote is to sign Khabibulin. he has showed this year he is a more than competent back-up with Edmonton. Wouldn't be against re-signing Thedore either. I want Markstrom paired with a veteran goalie next year, not named Clemmer.

PantherboyHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.