HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs on Tradecentre Part 5 (Who do you want at the deadline/in free agency?) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Madevilz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...-sources-say/1

-From Robin Short, lead sports reporter for the Evening Telegram in St. John's, NL where Clowe is from.
Would love to see them give youth and picks for a pending UFA, and then miss the playoffs.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:07 AM
JusticeBeaver
Twitter: @gar****al

Wouldn't put too much worth into it. This guy writes about local senior hockey teams, not the NHL. While it does make sense, local guy, phillys situation, Newfoundlanders inability to keep something secret, why would he be the only guy with the inside scoop? No other NHL insider has gotten word on this?

Old
04-01-2013, 09:09 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Informed opinion on Clowe seems polarized between him being a total idiot and useless, versus being that character guy who could be a power forward.

Can anyone track down where the idea of getting him originated? Was it credible chatter from within the media, or is it just our fan base fixating on this guy and not letting go? Is Clowe a real possibility or just some of our fans' wet dream?
A bit of both. It was pure speculation on his part but Pierre Lebrun did say he wouldn't be shocked if Clowe was the kind of guy Bergevin would be in the market for. I think a lot of media pundits feel like his size/grit would fill an obvious need for us.

On the other hand, Bergevin said he wasn't going to mortgage the future for a rental so if the price is too high on Clowe, he'll likely pass.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:10 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticeBeaver View Post
Wouldn't put too much worth into it. This guy writes about local senior hockey teams, not the NHL. While it does make sense, local guy, phillys situation, Newfoundlanders inability to keep something secret, why would he be the only guy with the inside scoop? No other NHL insider has gotten word on this?
Just posted by Lebrun.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Not written in stone but possible a Clowe trade goes down today... Clowe camp and Sharks on same page as far as teams in mix. Clowe has NTC

Old
04-01-2013, 09:11 AM
FinnHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...-sources-say/1

-From Robin Short, lead sports reporter for the Evening Telegram in St. John's, NL where Clowe is from.

Of course, what a "surprise". Trigger happy Holmgren and his panic moves...

Old
04-01-2013, 09:11 AM
JusticeBeaver
Twitter: @gar****al

Exactly, and read that teams in mix are Rangers, Bruins, and Habs no?

I read that CSN California reported his agent asked him to waive his NTC this morning.

Edit: Okay looks to be more. Thanks LEBRUN.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:15 AM
PricePkPatch

From this post

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 1m

Not written in stone but possible a Clowe trade goes down today... Clowe camp and Sharks on same page as far as teams in mix. Clowe has NTC

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 31s

Among teams that I believe have at least talked to SJ are Flyers, Wild, Canucks, Habs, Rangers, Bruins... and believe there are more...

https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/...26565213134848

https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/...26247700107265

Old
04-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
A bit of both. It was pure speculation on his part but Pierre Lebrun did say he wouldn't be shocked if Clowe was the kind of guy Bergevin would be in the market for. I think a lot of media pundits feel like his size/grit would fill an obvious need for us.

On the other hand, Bergevin said he wasn't going to mortgage the future for a rental so if the price is too high on Clowe, he'll likely pass.
Thanks!

(If I took a drink every time someone used the phrase, "Mortgage the future", I would've mortgaged my liver a month ago).

Old
04-01-2013, 09:25 AM
Habsfannick

I'm actually warming up to the clowe idea if the price is right... But I saw in the main trade board that a deal with Philly is close

Old
04-01-2013, 09:27 AM
ChesterNimitz

We currently have 4 picks in the top 60 choices in the upcoming draft. Depending on how Dallas finishes, we may have 5 picks in the top 70. If you want to get excited, just check out some of the mock drafts online and see the quality of players the Canadiens are projected to select. The 2013 draft is unusually deep and most teams will be able to draft several players that will be valuable assets down the road. To give up such a potential asset for a rental player is dubious planning at best. Perhaps if the team was one player away from making a real run, one could consider such a short term approach. Does anyone in their heart of hearts truly believe that Montreal is one player away from victory? Let the other teams engage in the annual festival of overpayment for declining talent.

One should always be reminded of the old adage that the best trades are usually the ones that you don't make.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:30 AM
FinnHab

Id luv to have Clowe in our beloved Habs but it seems that bidding war is ahead. Im sure that this trade circus ends as they usually end: Flyers or Rangers will win this (again)...

Old
04-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

I ****ing hope that Clowe will be traded here!! We need him!!!

Old
04-01-2013, 09:32 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post
We currently have 4 picks in the top 60 choices in the upcoming draft. Depending on how Dallas finishes, we may have 5 picks in the top 70. If you want to get excited, just check out some of the mock drafts online and see the quality of players the Canadiens are projected to select. The 2013 draft is unusually deep and most teams will be able to draft several players that will be valuable assets down the road. To give up such a potential asset for a rental player is dubious planning at best. Perhaps if the team was one player away from making a real run, one could consider such a short term approach. Does anyone in their heart of hearts truly believe that Montreal is one player away from victory? Let the other teams engage in the annual festival of overpayment for declining talent. One should always be reminded of the old adage that the best trades are usually the ones that you don't make.
At this point, I'd not want the habs to trade picks for players because of the deep draft and Timmins factor. But there are bound to be prospects we can trade that we are confident won't come back to bite us in the ass. I won't pretend to know who these prospects are but there are has to be some guys who haven't developed according to plan.

Old
googlymoogly

We really don't have any wingers like Clowe. As long as it is not our 1st in this years draft he might be valuable to our small winger situation. They should also try to sign him if the payment is high as a rental player if you give up young talent like Leblanc, Ellis plus picks you need to get your moneys worth long term.

Old
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnHab View Post
Id luv to have Clowe in our beloved Habs but it seems that bidding war is ahead. Im sure that this trade circus ends as they usually end: Flyers or Rangers will win this (again)...
Yeah, my absolute max would be Leblanc + 1st, but I'd be very hesitant. I'd probably cut it off at Calgary's 2nd.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:33 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Thanks!

(If I took a drink every time someone used the phrase, "Mortgage the future", I would've mortgaged my liver a month ago).
Yeah sorry, I'm not a fan of that term either but it's still early and couldn't come up with anything else

Old
04-01-2013, 09:33 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnHab View Post
If one of those two teams gets him, it's a good consolation as he doesn't go to a team that we have to worry about too much.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:34 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
For what it's worth, Lebrun did tweet today that the Habs, along with several other teams, have called about Clowe. So Bergevin is definitely kicking the tires, if nothing else.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:34 AM
Gary320

I'd like to get Clowe (despite the season he's had) but it really depends on the price. Now that Talbot is out, if Flyers aren't sellers, I expect them to give up more for him. Be that the case... I dont want to give up alot for Clowe.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:36 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Yeah, my absolute max would be Leblanc + 1st, but I'd be very hesitant. I'd probably cut it off at Calgary's 2nd.
Leblanc and a 1st is too much for me...Leblanc was still a first round pick and hasn't been ruled a full lost cause ala Fischer....

Old
04-01-2013, 09:36 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
He's not worth that.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:38 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
I'd like to get Clowe (despite the season he's had) but it really depends on the price. Now that Talbot is out, if Flyers aren't sellers, I expect them to give up more for him. Be that the case... I dont want to give up alot for Clowe.
As nice as Clowe would be on the Habs...seeing the Flyers sell off assets for a player they don't need will be priceless.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:38 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Good Lord, please, let Clowe come to Montreal if Bourque is not close from a return.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:39 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Leblanc + Calgary 2rd pick is what i would give. I would even add a 3rd if necessery.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:39 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
He's not worth that.
Agreed. That's TWO 1st for a guy who hasn't scored a goal this year. Me thinks not so much

Closed Thread