HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

April 3rd Deadline Approaching

Old
03-30-2013, 08:13 PM
Iron Duke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
David Poile: Darcy Reiger "everyone is available" - Then go get Thomas Vanek. This is an opportunity.

And for the record, we shouldn't be buyers. This is for the next few seasons.
I'm not so sure. He's their most valuable piece, is playing at a greater than PPG pace, and they don't really lose anything by keeping him around. The price in young forwards or defensemen and picks would be moving backwards, IMO.

I see the likes of Stafford or Pominville being far more likely, but equally less desirable.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 09:12 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

ID - I hear you and agree with your premise. However if he truly is available, a package akin to what we were offering for Rick Nash is very doable and doesn't hurt us too much on the ice IMO.

03-30-2013, 09:29 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Vanek would be a great catch, but can we hang with other teams if he is available? He doesn't have a NTC/NMC. There would be a pretty good bidding war. I guess the advantage we would have is cap space. A lot of the contending teams would have to clear a sizable chunk of cap space, but not all of them. Teams like St Louis, Anaheim and LA could drive the price pretty high.

03-30-2013, 10:46 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

If he is truly available, you have to bid and bid heavily. Opportunities to get a star sniper are non existent. :/

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:34 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
If he is truly available, you have to bid and bid heavily. Opportunities to get a star sniper are non existent. :/
For only one more year though? Awfully steep price for a guy that could walk for nothing at the end of next season. The prospects/players and 1st rounder are likely to have more an impact on the franchise going forward than Vanek would.

Old
03-31-2013, 07:11 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I thought he had 2 more years. Apologies.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:06 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I would love Vanek, but if Poile were to trade for him without a future commitment it would be awful. We aren't in rebuild mode, nor are we in contender mode. Great player. Terrible trade environment.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:37 PM
maplepred

I saw we sell sell sell this deadline.
We have weber locked up as well as rinne for years to come. Lets kill it at this draft, sign a big forward this offseason (as we could attract one now with weber and rinne locked up long term) and draft some high picks and be in amazing shape for next season!! Let this short season be a building block for an amazing full season next year!
Trade gill, Blum, sk74, fisher, halischuk, hannan, mason (hellberg backup next year), etc

Our pick will be high, maybe we land another first rounder or even two (remember goose was worth a first last deadline).
Next season could be something special. So make it happen!!

maplepred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:51 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Sell what?

UFA's: Mason, Mueller, Hannan, Yip. Victor Bartley's twin brother is the only one who will be kept and the rest are not so big chips for trade.

I think they will jetison pieces for mid picks. Nashville needs a 2nd but other than that. I don't see teams chucking away long term pieces.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:54 PM
maplepred

Just because guys like sk74 and fisher still have more than this year on contract doesn't mean teams won't want then to help a playoff push. And even next year as well.

maplepred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 01:20 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Just because guys like sk74 and fisher still have more than this year on contract doesn't mean teams won't want then to help a playoff push. And even next year as well.
I could see trying to trade someone like SK74, but I doubt we'll see Fisher moved this year. Smith has not shown himself ready to be relied upon as a top 6 center, and trusting Watson to be ready to take that role next season is awfully risky. Fisher's likely better than anyone we could get in free agency to fill that role.

I can see us trading a veteran wing or two, and a defenseman like Gill, or Hannan, if anybody wants them, but that's about all.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:20 PM
Byrddog

Most have overvalued the players we currently have that we as fans are pitching for trade. One can look a the Jordan Leopold trade yesterday Buffalo got a 2nd and conditional 5th. If we were lucjky and get a 2nd for Gill and Hannan and SK we would be in high cotton. I just don't see anyone were willing to move that will garner a 1st. If were able to have 9th pick in the first round DP could package our first and a second to move up to a top 5 perhaps. This would be best case.

If we could land Vanek I would be beside myself. While he is injured alot he would be the best forward we have ever had to play an entire season. And if we could sneek in and get Drew Stafford as well that would a great start to building a couple lines But this would be costly. Vanek will require a couple 1st round picks and a NHL ready prospect at least. Staffordond and Blum could get that done. Im just not sure iof DP would do what is needed to land these Fish.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 04:41 PM
JamestheSame

We should trade Rinne and Weber in a package deal for some draft picks.

Then the team would be complete for a late draft day push.

JamestheSame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:41 PM
thecloser

per mynhltraderumors.com

What are the Predators plans for the trade deadline?

“I’m day-to-day,” said Poile with a chuckle in a conversation with ESPN.com on Wednesday. “Call me after all the games are over on the night of April 2. It’ll be a touch bit clearer.”

“This 48-game schedule is not normal. Everything about it is not normal. The condensed schedule, the travel, especially for us in the West, it’s all different,” said Poile. “And consequently I have to imagine the trade deadline is different. …

“Maybe for the majority of teams, status quo might be a good position to be in come the trading deadline, based on the closeness of the races.”

The Predators could use scoring help, and have been linked to Stars Derek Roy.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:44 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloser View Post
per mynhltraderumors.com

What are the Predators plans for the trade deadline?

“I’m day-to-day,” said Poile with a chuckle in a conversation with ESPN.com on Wednesday. “Call me after all the games are over on the night of April 2. It’ll be a touch bit clearer.”

“This 48-game schedule is not normal. Everything about it is not normal. The condensed schedule, the travel, especially for us in the West, it’s all different,” said Poile. “And consequently I have to imagine the trade deadline is different. …

“Maybe for the majority of teams, status quo might be a good position to be in come the trading deadline, based on the closeness of the races.”

The Predators could use scoring help, and have been linked to Stars Derek Roy.
Since that interview, we've lost two games, and lost ground to Columbus and Edmonton.

We're not adding UFA Derek Roy. Don't get your hopes up. We're not "buyers."

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:48 PM
dulzhok

Our asset pool is the smallest it's been since the first years of expansion.

Our tradable vets may return some mid-round draft pick.

We have very few prospects with good value, and they are unlikely to entice someone part with a younger scorer-type.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 11:27 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
you would think in this short season with pretty tightly bunched standings that very few teams would be sellers and those that are should be able to command pretty high returns

but something tells me that more than one GM of a team that is still marginally in the playoff picture and in an ordinary year might be a buyer will instead think of this as a "throwaway" season and take the opportunity to try to jettison some dead weight in exchange for picks in a deep draft

I think there will be a lot more sellers than people are anticipating, which will sadly drive down the prices..

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:08 AM
cleangene

I would suspect the only thing happening for the Preds today would be preparing for the hawks game tonight. My suggestion...PRAYERS, PRAYERS, PRAYERS.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:13 AM
Johnny B Good

Hey guys, reading in the norways biggest newspaper that you guys might sign Ole-Kristian Tollefesen? You heard anything about it?

Link: http://www.vg.no/sport/ishockey/arti...artid=10115013

Basiclly says that you were close to signing him last offseason, but now a swedish newspaper says that a deal is as good as done.

Swedish newspaper link : http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey...lytt-till-nhl/

EDIT : Someone already wrote it in the Generel thread

Last edited by Johnny B Good: 04-01-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Johnny B Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 08:26 AM
RaiderDoug

I'm usually on the side of "let's do anything to get into the playoffs because anything can happen". It's a tournament sport, and all you need is a hot goaltender.

But the more and more I watch this team, the less I think a "get hot" run is in the cards. Our best offensive player is down for a significant stretch, SK, Legwand, and others not producing for whatever reason, we can't get any consistency out of the defense.

It's just tough to see us making anything more than a token appearance as 7/8 seed cannon fodder.

Honestly, the best thing that can probably happen is we end up missing the playoffs and drafting another forward with a top 10 pick. I don't see us as big spenders in UFA, I don't even see any UFA's that could provide immediate guaranteed help (Ribiero/Ryder look like the best of the lot, they're old and will be overpaid).

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:03 AM
alexmanu

If Poile wants to add a good piece then it should be Gaborik. But I stress that I DO NOT want any player that would require us to trade away our first round pick this year. This coming draft is stacked with offensive talent, we need to take advantage of it.

alexmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:11 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmanu View Post
If Poile wants to add a good piece then it should be Gaborik. But I stress that I DO NOT want any player that would require us to trade away our first round pick this year. This coming draft is stacked with offensive talent, we need to take advantage of it.
there is ZERO chance Poile makes a bold-big name move this year when even making the playoffs is in doubt, unless we get someone with more years on their deal.

I think we might trade Hannan for a pick but thats about it...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:14 AM
alexmanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
there is ZERO chance Poile makes a bold-big name move this year when even making the playoffs is in doubt, unless we get someone with more years on their deal.

I think we might trade Hannan for a pick but thats about it...
Agreed.

I would rather us consolidate our assets, but if we can get a good price for some of our players then by all means Poile needs to pull the trigger on those deals. I still don't understand why we aren't in sell mode. Yes the playoffs are still there but it's unlikely and even if we do manage to make it I don't think this current teams makes if past the 1st round. There are major issues on this offense that Poile needs to resolve.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:20 AM
token grinder

what is funny here is that we need to perform well against the Hawks to make the playoffs. And if we do we more than likely slide into the 8 spot. So if going 3-1 vs the Hawks happens, are you still in the camp of "we can't beat the Hawks/throwaway season/tanktanktank" or does your mindset change?

all the teams with us in the pack some issues that can prevent them from making the playoffs. Detroit had Zetterburgs wwonky groin, Columbus has not had the playoff chase experience, we have scoring issues, STL has routinly quit on hitch, Dallas is jekll and hyde with their effort. Edmonton has the same issues as Columbus, San Jose may sell a top six forward today. Alot of hockey and alot to happen the next 48 hours.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:35 AM
alexmanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
what is funny here is that we need to perform well against the Hawks to make the playoffs. And if we do we more than likely slide into the 8 spot. So if going 3-1 vs the Hawks happens, are you still in the camp of "we can't beat the Hawks/throwaway season/tanktanktank" or does your mindset change?

all the teams with us in the pack some issues that can prevent them from making the playoffs. Detroit had Zetterburgs wwonky groin, Columbus has not had the playoff chase experience, we have scoring issues, STL has routinly quit on hitch, Dallas is jekll and hyde with their effort. Edmonton has the same issues as Columbus, San Jose may sell a top six forward today. Alot of hockey and alot to happen the next 48 hours.
If we lose we should go into sell mode IMO. But really even if this team does make the playoffs do you see them going deep? It could happen, but there'd need to be a monumental change to our offensive play.