HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Postseason Lines Discussion

Old
03-31-2013, 10:01 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Circle OneTimer View Post
Why is everyone forcing Neal back on the left wing? As we have already seen hes way better on the right side? Neal gets all his goals off that right side shot why take away his best option?
Dude, it's not that simple, nor that complicated. Putting Neal on LW won't adversely affect his play. Look at where TK gets his goals from (left side, yet he's a RW). Neal played fantastic hockey at the World Championships a few years ago for team Canada when he was on LW with Rick Nash on RW. It's really not that big of an issue, at all. (and I was the one to advocate putting Neal at RW in the first place. There's no loss with Iginla in, at all).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
i'm worried about face-offs. with Crosby out and Vitale stapled to the bench, the rest of the centers are merely competent at face-offs.
Me too. And, also, I think Bylsma got a glimpse of how valuable it is to have an extra centre on the 4th line in the event of some other injury (or game-misconduct penalty, or whatever).

And the silver lining with Crosby's injury is the following: this gives Dustin Jeffrey, who was just coming on strong before Geno returned, to showcase himself for summertime trade-bait by getting to play, and hopefully perform well, for the time that Sid is out. This could be the difference between Jeffrey being worth a 2nd round pick versus a 4th/5th rounder at the draft if he performs well, or perhaps be used in a package for a good forward player/prospect. I really like DJ, so let's use him now, but there will be a time soon when we will have to move him (i.e. he'll ask for a trade).

Neal-Malkin-Iginla
Kunitz-Sutter-Dupuis
Morrow-Jeffrey-Cooke
Adams-Vitale-Kennedy

This line-up gives us more face-off men and gets Glass out of there. Glass's only redeeming quality is his PK usage, but that's easily replaceable with guys like Kunitz, Jeffrey or Vitale taking that spot.

Iggy will replace Crosby on the top PP unit, and you can always swap Jeffrey & Sutter for a different look or if guys aren't clicking. But that's the right way to go, no doubt in my mind. Bennett won't play unless TK gets traded, which is less likely to happen now with Sid out, or unless there's another injury or suspension (which hopefully doesn't happen). It won't hurt BB to play in WBS for the playoffs, and then get called up as part of the Black Aces for the rest of the NHL playoffs if WBS gets eliminated.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:14 PM
AgentM

I'll be shocked if Bylsma doesn't put Jeffrey between Kunitz and Dupuis. He wanted to keep the lines as similar as possible when Geno was out by keeping the Crosby and Sutter lines the same and he'll most likely do the same here with the Malkin and Sutter lines.

The more interesting question is whether or not Iginla bumps Kunitz from the top unit after getting some practices in. My money is that he doesn't but that Geno stays out with a second unit of Iginla and Morrow when they come on for Kunitz and Neal.

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:23 PM
cheesedanish87

Even if Malkin Neal Kunitz gives you the best chance to win right now u don't do that to Iginla, He wouldn't out of his way to come to Pgh to play with Sid and Geno you show the future HOF some respect and play him with Geno.

cheesedanish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:45 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
I'll be shocked if Bylsma doesn't put Jeffrey between Kunitz and Dupuis. He wanted to keep the lines as similar as possible when Geno was out by keeping the Crosby and Sutter lines the same and he'll most likely do the same here with the Malkin and Sutter lines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
Even if Malkin Neal Kunitz gives you the best chance to win right now u don't do that to Iginla, He wouldn't out of his way to come to Pgh to play with Sid and Geno you show the future HOF some respect and play him with Geno.
I agree with both of you here. I think Bylsma will try to keep certain things as constant as possible with Sid being out. That means that Iginla will play with Malkin and Neal -- and cheese is right, you have to make him happy if you plan on re-signing this player after this season. Build a line with Morrow + Cooke on the wings with either Sutter or Jeffrey centering them, depending on who is clicking.

I would prefer for Jeffrey to shine with Kunits+Dupuis so we can keep everything else constant and showcase Jeffrey for summertime trade value. But at least being able to swap Jeffrey and Sutter (if needed) is a good back-up plan. Put Engo in for Martin, move Brooks up with Letang and we're all set. (And having Engo's toughness in makes it easier to move Glass out for Vitale)

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:47 PM
Ray Shero*

Why is everyone putting Morrow on the third line?

I propose:

Kunitz-Malkin-Iggy
Neal-Dupuis-Morrow
Sutter-Kennendy-Cooke
Adams-Jeffery-Vitale

Wings aren't right but you know.

Ray Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:52 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Simmons' Nightmare

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Shero View Post

I propose:

Kunitz-Malkin-Iggy
Neal-Dupuis-Morrow
Sutter-Kennendy-Cooke
Adams-Jeffery-Vitale

So you don't want James Neal to ever score again?

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Shero View Post

I propose:

Kunitz-Malkin-Iggy
Neal-Dupuis-Morrow
Sutter-Kennendy-Cooke
Adams-Jeffery-Vitale

I just want Iginla to play with Geno, right now he's the Center Iggy deserves

leafspensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheGoldenJet

Interesting read on the whole LW/RW debate concerning Iginla and Neal:

Quote:
Iginla, a right winger most of his career, played on the left side of the second line with center Evgeni Malkin and James Neal.
At least, that was the plan. At times, the two wingers switched, apparently at Neal's suggestion.
"I think he was feeling bad for me in the first [period]," Iginla said.
"I was a little lost as far as left wing and trying to adjust to different stuff. He was trying to make it easier on me."
Bylsma confirmed it was not a switch the coaches orchestrated, but he hardly was upset.
"In the first period, they were working that out on their own a little bit," Bylsma said. "And some of it was just circumstances in the game a little bit as we tracked back."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2PBEDL8xu
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-debut-681517/

TheGoldenJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 11:02 PM
Honour Over Glory

Fata, Hrdina, Dome
Koltsov, Kraft, Meloche
Sonnenberg, Park, Kostopoulos
Roche, Wells, Abid

Tamer, Moran
Melichar, Jonsson
Welch, Koci

Caron
Aubin

I think we're set. I have 100% confidence in that line-up, I mean maybe we have a few chemistry issues with Bylsma forcing things but otherwise, we'll be fine I think.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 11:12 PM
Honour Over Glory

I know Iginla has played some center with the Flames every now and then, that's not a great idea for the long term, but I don't see why not for a few games. Just to try some stuff out. Ideally that's just not what you want to do when the roster is healthy, but right now, it wouldn't hurt.

Just a thought, so relax to the ones that will freak out.

Morrow, Malkin, Neal
Kunitz, Iginla, Dupuis
Cooke, Sutter, Kennedy
Jeffrey, Vitale, Adams

Or the obvious choice and what I think will go down.

Iginla, Malkin, Neal
Kunitz, Jeffrey, Dupuis
Morrow, Sutter, Kennedy
Cooke, Vitale, Adams

Last edited by Honour Over Glory: 03-31-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 11:20 PM
Common Sense

What I would like to see:

Kunitz - Malkin - Iggy
Bennett - Sutter - Neal
Morrow - Jeffrey - Dupuis
Cooke - Vitale - Kennedy

What Bylsma will probably do:

Iginla - Malkin - Neal
Kunitz - Jeffrey - Dupuis
Morrow - Sutter - Kennedy
Glass - Adams - Cooke

Common Sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:23 AM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

All of you guys putting Neal with anyone but Geno, why? As we saw Neal is a completely different player without Geno as his pivot.

Mo Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:24 AM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Fata, Hrdina, Dome
Koltsov, Kraft, Meloche
Roche, Wells, Abid

Tamer, Moran
Melichar, Jonsson
Welch, Koci

Caron
Aubin

I think we're set. I have 100% confidence in that line-up, I mean maybe we have a few chemistry issues with Bylsma forcing things but otherwise, we'll be fine I think.
This made me laugh.

Mo Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:30 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Simmons' Nightmare

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post
All of you guys putting Neal with anyone but Geno, why? As we saw Neal is a completely different player without Geno as his pivot.
Apparently these last 8 or 9 games when Malkin was out and Neal had zero goals and a couple of assists weren't enough evidence that he's just that much more dangerous with Geno than without.

It seems it'll take Neal going the final 12 games without a goal for people to realize that Neal on Malkin's line is not only a very good idea, but a no-brainer.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:33 AM
Waffle Fries

First line to me is obviously going to be some variation of Iginla-Malkin-Neal or Neal-Malkin-Iginla.

It's not ideal to have either one move to LW, but Neal needs to be with Malkin and Iggy came here to play with the two best players in the world and we're down one.

I'm not quite sure what Bylsma will do for the second line. When Malkin was out Jeffrey slid into his spot, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a line of Kunitz-Jeffrey-Dupuis, even though I'd rather Sutter center that line. The difference between Jeffrey taking over Sid's spot verses Malkin's is that Dupuis and Kunitz are more adaptable than Neal so I don't think that line will be completely invisible.

I'd imagine the third and fourth lines will be kept pretty much status quo. I'd rather see Vitale and no Glass, but that probably won't be the case.

This is what I expect:
Neal-Malkin-Iginla
Kunitz-Jeffrey-Dupuis
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Glass-Adams-Kennedy

Not necessarily what I want, but what I see happening.

Last edited by Waffle Fries: 04-01-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:40 AM
OGBobbyFarnham

What i personally want is a waste of brain power and keystrokes, so i'm just putting down what i believe DB will do:

Iginla-Malkin-Neal (Iginla may switch to RW though)
Kunitz-Jeffrey-Dupus (Sutter may be swapped in to C during games)
Cooke-Sutter-Morrow
Glass-Adams-Kennedy
(Vitale, Bennett)

Now theres a chance DB goes with a different 2nd line C, meaning Jeffrey and Vitale and Bennett are the bubble players as usual.

DB loves Glass, so he's a given in any lineup DB makes. It will be interesting who the next bubble player is if DB wants Bennett in the lineup. Well it be Glass then, finally? Morrow maybe? Kennedy? Doubt it.

ETA: I'm assuming with Crosby on IR, they'll bring Bennett back up yes?

As for the Defense. Despres is in as long as Martin is out. Engelland is in as long as Letang is out.

Orpik-Niskanen
Despres-Eaton
Murray-Engelland
or
Murray-Eaton
Despres-Engelland

I will say the team still has the horses to keep a winning streak alive. Thats some sick depth when Crosby, Martin and Letang are out and to still be able to say that.

Heres a lineup with those guys out and without Shero making moves.

Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Dupuis-Jeffrey-Kennedy
Cooke-Sutter-Bennett
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Orpik-Niskanen
Despres-Engelland
Eaton-Bortuzzo

Last edited by OGBobbyFarnham: 04-01-2013 at 01:12 AM.
OGBobbyFarnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:43 AM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

It's obvious that with Sid out indefinitely, Bylsma has a mandate to put Kunitz with Malkin-Neal to troll the entire league. Many people would lose their **** if they had to face the reality of Chris Kunitz, Art Ross Trophy winner.

mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:14 AM
Wickedtune

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzeigler View Post
It's obvious that with Sid out indefinitely, Bylsma has a mandate to put Kunitz with Malkin-Neal to troll the entire league. Many people would lose their **** if they had to face the reality of Chris Kunitz, Art Ross Trophy winner.
I was standing at work and the exact same thought popped into my head. Bylsma has to do this now.

Wickedtune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:24 AM
Zbynek

The last priority right now is Dustin Jeffrey's summertime value.

Zbynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 08:36 AM
ZapRowsdower13
Ticklish Tummy Tumx2

Send a message via AIM to ZapRowsdower13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Fata, Hrdina, Dome
Koltsov, Kraft, Meloche
Roche, Wells, Abid

Tamer, Moran
Melichar, Jonsson
Welch, Koci

Caron
Aubin

HA! Ohhh to be a Pens fan at that time. This ones for you Ramzi Abid.

The only thing I question about proposed lines is why does Kunitz keep going with Geno/Neal? People still hung up on that from last year? Not gonna say it didn't work and won't work again but I'd like to see Iginla play there since that's likely what will happen once Crosby comes back. And I also don't understand the Morrow on any line other than 3rd or 2nd.

To me it'll be

Iginla Malkin Neal (Neal and Iggy will switch of course at times)
Kunitz Jeffery Dupuis
Morrow Sutter Cooke
Adams Vitale Kennedy (Once JV is back and we can pray Glass finally sits. This is also guessing Bennet doesnt get called up and into the line up, as he shoudl be.)

I can see Jeffery and Sutter switching if Crosby will be out a few weeks.

ZapRowsdower13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:06 AM
SUBdrewgANS
born into trouble

Send a message via AIM to SUBdrewgANS
Iginla - Malkin - Neal
Morrow - Sutter - Kunitz
Cooke - Jeffery - Dupuis
Glass - Adams/Vitale - Kennedy/Bennet

Murray - Letang
Orpik - Niskanen
Despres - Eaton

SUBdrewgANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:13 AM
SEALBound
Fancy Conor McSheary

I concur with the guys saying:

KUNITZ-JEFFREY-DUPUIS
NEAL-MALKIN-IGINLA
MORROW-SUTTER-COOKE
GLASS-ADAMS-KENNEDY

This is what I expect the lines to be. That's two lines that will be similar in the playoffs. Let them start building the chemistry now. Then when Sid gets back, just a simple 1 for 1 switch with Jeffrey.

Coaching wise, this is he correct decision to make concerning the playoffs. We need as many lines firing on all cylinders as soon as possible.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Phil68

Iginla can play center and has done so in the past. Plus he is a great faceoff man! I would not mind seeing him at center With maybe Bennett and Dupuis while we have Kunitz, Malkin, And Neal

Phil68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:35 AM
AquaticBirdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
Why would you throw that much pressure on Sutter, playing with Iginla will **** his mind over, do you have any idea how much pressure a defensive minded center will endure playing with a future Hall of Famer? Too ****ing much! The best scenario to put those two together is if Neal-Geno-Iggy falter (not gonna happen once they learn each other's games) and if Sutter does produce with Kuni and Dupes. Now, we're all saying that Kunitz and Dupuis have made their cases for being legitimate top 6 wingers, their games are well suited for Sutter's, all three of them work down low, any one of them can work the crease, they can all shoot, the only problem is the set-up man. If Sutter doesn't have the ability to set those two up, no point wasting Iginla with him
Pressure?? Dude...he's playing the NHL! On the best team in the league no less! And he's about to enter the most grueling playoff schedule in all of professional sports! If "pressure" is something we're trying to shield Sutter away from then I honestly think he's in the wrong line of work.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:37 AM
AquaticBirdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
What i personally want is a waste of brain power and keystrokes, so i'm just putting down what i believe DB will do:

Iginla-Malkin-Neal (Iginla may switch to RW though)
Kunitz-Jeffrey-Dupus (Sutter may be swapped in to C during games)
Cooke-Sutter-Morrow
Glass-Adams-Kennedy
(Vitale, Bennett)

Now theres a chance DB goes with a different 2nd line C, meaning Jeffrey and Vitale and Bennett are the bubble players as usual.

DB loves Glass, so he's a given in any lineup DB makes. It will be interesting who the next bubble player is if DB wants Bennett in the lineup. Well it be Glass then, finally? Morrow maybe? Kennedy? Doubt it.

ETA: I'm assuming with Crosby on IR, they'll bring Bennett back up yes?

As for the Defense. Despres is in as long as Martin is out. Engelland is in as long as Letang is out.

Orpik-Niskanen
Despres-Eaton
Murray-Engelland
or
Murray-Eaton
Despres-Engelland

I will say the team still has the horses to keep a winning streak alive. Thats some sick depth when Crosby, Martin and Letang are out and to still be able to say that.

Heres a lineup with those guys out and without Shero making moves.

Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Dupuis-Jeffrey-Kennedy
Cooke-Sutter-Bennett

Glass-Vitale-Adams

Orpik-Niskanen
Despres-Engelland
Eaton-Bortuzzo
WHy does our 3rd line look better than our 2nd?

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote