HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LIII - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-01-2013, 09:51 AM
  #926
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
Smid getting less than Gorges gets is hurting the Habs fan that I am.
Yeah....
it kinda sucks in that optic.

However, there's something I'm slightly worried about regarding Smid.

He never played with a decent team, and mostly played with brutal ones.

He never was anything more than their 3rd best D-Men... and he was mostly in their bottom-3.

He's a defensive specialist with little or no offensive output. Yet his team was often in the bottom-5 teams regarding goals allowed.

I saw Smid play and I know what he can bring. However, I wonder if there isn't something that we can't see (due to not seeing Smid play all that often) about him. Because if he was that good, well, probably the Oilers would have done a better job at keeping the puck out of their nets.

To be fair, he was possibly graduated a little earlier that he should've, and the Oilers certainly improved defensively, at least this year.

But I wonder if he isn't even more brutal than we think he is at moving the puck.

MXD is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 09:51 AM
  #927
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab
 
The Gal Pals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,790
vCash: 1744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Not sure if this is the right thread but whatever? How bad was Campoli last year? How the hell is he not playing in the NHL? I'm not even a fan, it just seems incredible that a 28 year old guy with 440 games under his belt is suddenly not good enough to get a contact.
Campoli did not play very well at all with us last year, however, he is still an NHL calibre D-man. Most have speculated that the reason he is out of the NHL right now is because of his important role with the NHLPA during the lockout discussions. The same also happened to Mathieu Darche who at least got a try-out with NJD. There's also speculation that Ron Hainsey will have a tough time signing a new deal this summer once his contract is up with the Jets.

The Gal Pals is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 09:53 AM
  #928
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Campoli did not play very well at all with us last year, however, he is still an NHL calibre D-man. Most have speculated that the reason he is out of the NHL right now is because of his important role with the NHLPA during the lockout discussions. The same also happened to Mathieu Darche who at least got a try-out with NJD. There's also speculation that Ron Hainsey will have a tough time signing a new deal this summer once his contract is up with the Jets.
No, no, no, no, no...

The guy cannot play a zone-defense system for christsakes!!

MXD is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 09:54 AM
  #929
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I knew there was a reason we made fun of the Newfies
And what reason would that be?

sheed36 is online now  
Old
04-01-2013, 09:56 AM
  #930
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab
 
The Gal Pals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,790
vCash: 1744
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
No, no, no, no, no...

The guy cannot play a zone-defense system for christsakes!!
There are worst d-men in the NHL today then Campoli is what I was trying to say. That alone makes him NHL-calibre.

The Gal Pals is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 10:05 AM
  #931
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score
 
Madam Kadri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland native
Country: United States
Posts: 5,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
There are worst d-men in the NHL today then Campoli is what I was trying to say. That alone makes him NHL-calibre.
Name one. This guy is the definition of pylon and headcase and only outcasts out of the league like Tyler Sloan are worse.

Madam Kadri is online now  
Old
04-01-2013, 10:11 AM
  #932
HiggsBozon
i.e. GFORCE
 
HiggsBozon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Yeah....
it kinda sucks in that optic.

However, there's something I'm slightly worried about regarding Smid.

He never played with a decent team, and mostly played with brutal ones.


He never was anything more than their 3rd best D-Men... and he was mostly in their bottom-3.

He's a defensive specialist with little or no offensive output. Yet his team was often in the bottom-5 teams regarding goals allowed.

I saw Smid play and I know what he can bring. However, I wonder if there isn't something that we can't see (due to not seeing Smid play all that often) about him. Because if he was that good, well, probably the Oilers would have done a better job at keeping the puck out of their nets.

To be fair, he was possibly graduated a little earlier that he should've, and the Oilers certainly improved defensively, at least this year.

But I wonder if he isn't even more brutal than we think he is at moving the puck.
To be honest, no matter how crappy the teams he played for are, I still take what he brings on the table for 3.5M way before Gorges' shot blocking for nearly 4M a year.

HiggsBozon is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 10:14 AM
  #933
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
To be honest, no matter how crappy the teams he played for are, I still take what he brings on the table for 3.5M way before Gorges' shot blocking for nearly 4M a year.
What I meant is that there is usually a reason why teams are crappy, and most of the times, the reason is -- their players. Especially when they're bad for a long stretch.

MXD is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 10:18 AM
  #934
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,162
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
To be honest, no matter how crappy the teams he played for are, I still take what he brings on the table for 3.5M way before Gorges' shot blocking for nearly 4M a year.
I wouldn't, personally. Player vs. player, I prefer Gorges. Gorges' deal costs more because it ate up more UFA years. Smid's deal is a good deal, but really, "way" before? You're talking about a difference of 0.4m.

hototogisu is online now  
Old
04-01-2013, 10:25 AM
  #935
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 16,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull 2m

CONFIRMED: #Flyers are having exploratory talks for Jagr, Clowe and Bouwmeester.
Flyers are seriously trying to gut their assets for a futile playoff run. Amazing.

Et le But is online now  
Old
04-01-2013, 10:33 AM
  #936
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,738
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Flyers are seriously trying to gut their assets for a futile playoff run. Amazing.
Yup.

Their asset management is reminding me of Gainey.

Have Jagr.. let Jagr go..
trade a 2nd for Jagr

Highly similar to..
Have Streit..
Let Streit go..
Pay 2nd round pick for Schneider
let Schneider go.
Pay 2nd round pick for Wizniewski
let Wizniewski go.

WeThreeKings is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 10:41 AM
  #937
Bloumeister
Certifiable
 
Bloumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: in a padded cell
Posts: 5,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Yup.

Their asset management is reminding me of Gainey.

Have Jagr.. let Jagr go..
trade a 2nd for Jagr

Highly similar to..
Have Streit..
Let Streit go..
Pay 2nd round pick for Schneider
let Schneider go.
Pay 2nd round pick for Wizniewski
let Wizniewski go.
Let's not forget Tanguay for a 1st and 2nd

Bloumeister is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 10:48 AM
  #938
bib
#believe
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,488
vCash: 500
The Leafs are similar to Boston of a few years ago in some senses of their style.

Questions are:


Do they have anybody who can rise to the play of Tim Thomas come playoffs?

Who is their Chara? Meaning, who is the player they center around?

bib is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 10:55 AM
  #939
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,617
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bib View Post
The Leafs are similar to Boston of a few years ago in some senses of their style.

Questions are:


Do they have anybody who can rise to the play of Tim Thomas come playoffs?

Who is their Chara? Meaning, who is the player they center around?
I disagree. Bruins' toughness/grit style stems from top minutes players like Chara/Lucic...something the Leafs don't have. They tried to suffocate opponents with their team D/gooning and had vezina caliber goaltending when that failed. Leafs' toughness are waiver wire fodder like McLaren/Orr/Fraser. Leafs success IMO is from offensive skill and timely finishing from their top players along with special teams.

Watsatheo is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 10:55 AM
  #940
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 16,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bib View Post
The Leafs are similar to Boston of a few years ago in some sense.

Question is, do they have anybody who can rise to the play of Tim Thomas come playoffs?
The Leafs have nothing in common with Boston except fighting a lot.

The Bruins for the past few years have been all about depth and defense, focusing on exhausting the opposition through consistent 5 on 5 north-south hockey anchored by Bergeron and Kelly. Although they emphasize size over speed, them and us are actually constructed in similar ways, with two 2-way lines, one exploitation line and a 4th line that is capable of holding its own.

The Leafs have inconsistent high powered offensive forces in Kessel, Kadri, Lupul and JVR surrounded by goons and grinders. Their only two 2-way threats of note are Grabovski and Phanuef, and they have terrible possession numbers and rely on individual acts of brilliance. Their goalies have actually been decent this year though both give up some of the juiciest rebounds imaginable, but they get consistently outshot night in and night out.

Et le But is online now  
Old
04-01-2013, 10:59 AM
  #941
HiggsBozon
i.e. GFORCE
 
HiggsBozon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I wouldn't, personally. Player vs. player, I prefer Gorges. Gorges' deal costs more because it ate up more UFA years. Smid's deal is a good deal, but really, "way" before? You're talking about a difference of 0.4m.
Smid brings comparable defense, physical play, and more offense. Fair to say he should get at least 1M more per year than Gorges. There's a real hometown discount right there.
EDIT NM for comparable offense, his numbers are quite underwhelming. Everytime I see him play though, he seems to have one hell of a slapper. Still. He still brings a physical dimension that would help our team.

HiggsBozon is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 11:03 AM
  #942
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 16,845
vCash: 500
The worst part of the Smid deal is it means the only available Oiler defenseman is Whitney, who is immobile.

Et le But is online now  
Old
04-01-2013, 11:04 AM
  #943
HiggsBozon
i.e. GFORCE
 
HiggsBozon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
The worst part of the Smid deal is it means the only available Oiler defenseman is Whitney, who is immobile.
I would still rather have him back there than using 5 ds.

HiggsBozon is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 11:06 AM
  #944
MarkovsKnee
Registered User
 
MarkovsKnee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,847
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
That makes no sense.
I didn't think so either. It doesn't exactly fill a need. No idea what they're trading for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers
GM Steve Tambellini announces #Oilers have agreed to terms with defenceman Ladislav Smid on a 4-year contract extension ($3.5 AAV)
That's probably what Gorges should've signed for. But, much higher taxes in Quebec than Alberta. I'm sure that always comes into play for the Habs. I would've been happier with a 4 year contract for Gorges rather than 6 too.

But, last year our D sucked. It looked like Gorges was going to be a long time core player for us on D by default. Then Pateryn played much better in the A than expected. Diaz became a legitimate top 4 D. Tinordi then was at least a year away. Most thought Beaulieu was 2 years away. Dietz had a monster year.

Now we have amazing depth on D. What a difference a year makes. lol

MarkovsKnee is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 11:16 AM
  #945
24get
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,279
vCash: 50
Yotes in Quebec next season?

Interesting
From Stephane Patry ‏@stephanepatry (translated from French to English)

According to one of my sources, the town of Qc (ExpoCité) contacted all promoters who had reserved at the Coliseum dates

between September 15, 2013 and December 31, 2013, to advise them that their dates were not available until further notice...

Source: https://twitter.com/stephanepatry


Last edited by 24get: 04-01-2013 at 11:43 AM.
24get is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 12:06 PM
  #946
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
Yotes in Quebec next season?

Interesting
From Stephane Patry ‏@stephanepatry (translated from French to English)

According to one of my sources, the town of Qc (ExpoCité) contacted all promoters who had reserved at the Coliseum dates

between September 15, 2013 and December 31, 2013, to advise them that their dates were not available until further notice...

Source: https://twitter.com/stephanepatry
It does look like it. Quebec is acting like Winnipeg: less noise possible. And patofqc's illegitimate father has droped Quebecor's presidency. Which is a surprising move. But would mean he's goin to preside over something else, the Nerds.

deandebean is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 12:07 PM
  #947
googlymoogly
Registered User
 
googlymoogly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
Yotes in Quebec next season?

Interesting
From Stephane Patry ‏@stephanepatry (translated from French to English)

According to one of my sources, the town of Qc (ExpoCité) contacted all promoters who had reserved at the Coliseum dates

between September 15, 2013 and December 31, 2013, to advise them that their dates were not available until further notice...

Source: https://twitter.com/stephanepatry
I feel this is good for Montreal to have a Provincial rivalry again.

googlymoogly is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 12:10 PM
  #948
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
I feel this is good for Montreal to have a Provincial rivalry again.
Not the greatest for the Habs. Never good to lose a monopoly for a business owner. Molson must not be very happy.

deandebean is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 12:13 PM
  #949
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥
 
Theosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DDO, Montreal
Country: Greece
Posts: 9,912
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
Yotes in Quebec next season?

Interesting
From Stephane Patry ‏@stephanepatry (translated from French to English)

According to one of my sources, the town of Qc (ExpoCité) contacted all promoters who had reserved at the Coliseum dates

between September 15, 2013 and December 31, 2013, to advise them that their dates were not available until further notice...

Source: https://twitter.com/stephanepatry
So Eastern Conference will have 17 teams?

Western will have 13 teams?

9 teams won't make the playoffs in the East. 5 teams won't make the playoffs in the West. I think they really need to go back to square one on the new realignment... Such a terrible format at the moment.


Theosis is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 12:14 PM
  #950
googlymoogly
Registered User
 
googlymoogly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Not the greatest for the Habs. Never good to lose a monopoly for a business owner. Molson must not be very happy.
Good for the fans though, Montreal won't be able the do the cheap game like they did in the late 90's early 2000's of not caring about fans but their own profits by icing lousy teams.

googlymoogly is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.