HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs on Tradecentre Part 5 (Who do you want at the deadline/in free agency?) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
I have a feeling we're going to trade for O'Byrne.

MB loves bringing back ex-Habs.
Well if he comes to Montreal and plays like he did in 11/12 he would be a pretty good pickup, but the way he's playing this year is simply awful, he and Greg Zanon make Campoli of last season look like Doug Harvey compared to Patrice Brisebois.

Old
MXD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asif16 View Post
Translation please
Seriously?

Old
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
Sur Ryan Clowe, on me dit que Boston et Montréal ne sont plus au sommet de la liste où l'attaquant des Sharks pourrait être échangé.
Good. This will break so many hearts...

Old
04-01-2013, 10:01 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
From Renaud Lavoie
Sur Ryan Clowe, on me dit que Boston et Montréal ne sont plus au sommet de la liste où l'attaquant des Sharks pourrait être échangé.

Translation

I've been told Boston and Montreal are no longer in the list of teams where the forward (Ryan Clowe) will be traded to.
Not at all.

"No longer at the top of teams where Clowe could land*

Big difference.

Old
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
So you are gonna pay a 1st and perhaps a prospect to play someone on the 4th line? That's absurd. It's a hefty price to pay
I am not saying we should pay a 1st and prospect. I am just saying that having Clowe on our 4th line is the best of scenario. Think is, WE SHOULDN'T PLAN FOR THE BEST OF SCENARIO. Clowe will give up great additional sandpaper depth in case any of our winger develops a problem during the playoffs.

It would be great if everything clicks perfectly; but not gonna happen. Bad things are probably happen to us. And if they don't, we have a very skilled Clowe on the 4th line that can really drive the opposition into their zone.

Old
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Not at all.

"No longer at the top of teams where Clowe could land*

Big difference.
Yeah I missed the "sommet" word. My bad.

Old
Asif16*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Boston and Montreal are no longer the most likely destinations for Clowe.
Kk. Thnx man.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:02 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I am not saying we should pay a 1st and prospect. I am just saying that having Clowe on our 4th line is the best of scenario. Think is, WE SHOULDN'T PLAN FOR THE BEST OF SCENARIO. Clowe will give up great additional sandpaper depth in case any of our winger develops a problem during the playoffs.

It would be great if everything clicks perfectly; but not gonna happen. Bad things are probably happen to us. And if they don't, we have a very skilled Clowe on the 4th line that can really drive the opposition into their zone.
I disagree. It's a complete waste to acquire him to play him on the 4th line.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:03 AM
Et le But

If Bourque is indeed coming back, it might be a better idea to use the assets it would take to get Clowe to target someone like McLeod to compete with Armstrong and Moen on the 4th line. Or Boll but Columbus is fighting for a playoff spot.

Any chance McLeod is available considering how awful the Avs are right now? He doesn't have Clowe's shot but he's faster and better defensively.

Old
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
At this point, I'd not want the habs to trade picks for players because of the deep draft and Timmins factor. But there are bound to be prospects we can trade that we are confident won't come back to bite us in the ass. I won't pretend to know who these prospects are but there are has to be some guys who haven't developed according to plan.

Even with the prospects that do develop well, you might end up losing them also. You can only stockpile so many prospects; they cant all play for your team. At some point, one way or another, you either keep them, let them sign elsewhere, waive them, or trade them.

If the asking price for Clowe is something like a 2nd and Leblanc, i'd definitely consider it. In my opinion, with the parity in the NHL now, there's no possibility of building a dynasty. In any given year, if the pieces fall into place, you kind of have to go for it. I'm definitely not for sacrificing the future, but I think we are dreaming if we believe that stockpiling prospects will turn our team into a potential 90's-2000's Red Wings. It doesn't really work that way anymore. The majority of GM's now are pretty decent, in the sense that they have scouts everywhere, they miss far less great prospects than they used to. Obviously there are better GM's and better scouts, but not to the degree there was in the 90's.

All to say that prospects can definitely be overrated in the great scheme of things. Sometimes you have to roll the dice, simply because there will never be a perfect year to pick up a player at the deadline. Every year we will be saying "not this year, next year's our year." I just think it doesn't exist.

Old
Gary320

I like Ryan Clowe. I'd like to get him.. but I'd rather get a strong defenseman who can play top 6 any given night than Clowe. I think that's one of our more visible holes.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:04 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
I disagree. It's a complete waste to acquire him to play him on the 4th line.
We aren't going to acquire him to play on the 4th line. We are going to acquire him to be proper depth in case Bourque (or any other winger) has a booboo during the playoffs.

People, am I speaking chinese or something that makes me incomprehensible?! Is that so hard to consider that Bourque might not be back or another winger gets injured?!

Old
04-01-2013, 10:05 AM
FinnHab

Flyers board goes berserk if Holmgren trade 1st round pick for Clowe

Old
04-01-2013, 10:05 AM
MXD

Quote:
Defense should be the priority #1.
I agree.
As long as we get a pending UFA.
If the Caps weren't surging, I would have considered Tom Poti, and if he wouldn't already have been traded, I would have considering Jordan Leopold.

As far as more offense-oriented guys are concerned, one would think that the Canes would like to keep Corvo, because they aren't that far. Is Ryan Whitney still an NHL-caliber D-Men at this point? Because, I dunno, but I'd hate to get a guy who is worst than Kaberle.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:07 AM
Et le But

Quote:
We aren't going to acquire him to play on the 4th line. We are going to acquire him to be proper depth in case Bourque (or any other winger) has a booboo during the playoffs.

People, am I speaking chinese or something that makes me incomprehensible?! Is that so hard to consider that Bourque might not be back or another winger gets injured?!
You aren't incomprehensible, you are grasping for straws.

I'd love Clowe on this team, anyone would love Clowe on this team, but you don't get into a bidding war with a desperate Flyers team for a backup player. San Jose was already playing hardball to begin with. You don't gut your future for Clowe unless you have more bad news regarding Bourque.

Those are assets that could be better spent on a big top 6 defenseman or another high end grinder.

Old
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

If we go for a D, please don't get a useless pylon like O'Byrne. Go get someone who can eat 20 minutes per game.

If we want someone who can't play that much and who is the human version of a pylon, might as well give that time to our rookies.

Old
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
I have a feeling those clamoring for Clowe have never watched him play. At least not this year. If they would, they wouldn't want him on our team, especially at the price that San Jose is rumoured to be asking.
This is so BS. So many theories on hfboards just snowball out of control because people love to "group-think". I don't know who it is that started this idea that Clowe is slow and useless? He's a wrecking-ball and skates hard, doesn't have agility, obviously, but he can definitely move. The guy is a deterrent and a nightmare for dmen on the forecheck. Goes to the net and has enough offense to provide secondary scoring. And he's a great fighter.

I don't want to overpay for him, but I definitely want him on my team.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:09 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
This is so BS. So many theories on hfboards just snowball out of control because people love to "group-think". I don't know who it is that started this idea that Clowe is slow and useless? He's a wrecking-ball and skates hard, doesn't have agility, obviously, but he can definitely move. The guy is a deterrent and a nightmare for dmen on the forecheck. Goes to the net and has enough offense to provide secondary scoring. And he's a great fighter.

That is not b.s. He's a weak skater. His regression is quite obvious this year. Plus he takes a lot of bad penalties, and our PK is already shaky...so I am not sure we should be adding someone that will put us in our weakest situation over and over again.

Sure he hits, no one said otherwise, but he doesn't provide secondary scoring this year, and he has as many fights as Moen.

The theory that he is a fighting machine that can score is the theory that snowballed out of control, and this year it's clearly not true.

In the 12 or so games I have watched him, he has not done much except for taking a few bad penalties. He had a few big hits, but it's not as if he was hitting the opposition into submission. They were just run of the mill hits. That's his biggest asset though, and Montreal could use a little more grit. However he tends to give up the puck a fair amount, so the grit he brings to the team would be outweighed by the bad penalties, lack of production and slow skating that won't fit into our playing style.

Everyone keeps saying they want him on our team, but they don't want to overpay. Well, the thing is the Sharks want good assets for this pending UFA that doesn't particularly fill a need we have. So if we want him, we will have to overpay.

For a 4th rounder? Sure, that would be great, but we all know that San Jose wants much more than that.
I doubt Bergevin is willing to overpay for a pending UFA that's having such a terrible season. He's not that short sighted.

Old
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
You aren't incomprehensible, you are grasping for straws.

I'd love Clowe on this team, anyone would love Clowe on this team, but you don't get into a bidding war with a desperate Flyers team for a backup player. San Jose was already playing hardball to begin with. You don't gut your future for Clowe unless you have more bad news regarding Bourque.

Those are assets that could be better spent on a big top 6 defenseman or another high end grinder.
Obviously we shouldn't get close to a bidding war, if another team is ready to pay big money for him, let them.

It's just claiming that the entire point of Clowe's addition to our roster would be "to play on the 4th line" is stupid.

Old
MXD

Quote:

It's just that giving a 1st rounder and Leblanc (example...) for that purpose doesn't make much sense.

Old
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
If Bourque is indeed coming back, it might be a better idea to use the assets it would take to get Clowe to target someone like McLeod to compete with Armstrong and Moen on the 4th line. Or Boll but Columbus is fighting for a playoff spot.

Any chance McLeod is available considering how awful the Avs are right now? He doesn't have Clowe's shot but he's faster and better defensively.
Nope. He's signed to a great deal, he wears an A and he's one of the few guys who bring their A game night in and night out, plus their FO absolutely loves him.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post

If anything you are supporting his argument, because Clowe hasn't played like that at all lately. That used to describe him but since last year he's been a perimeter shooter who seems to only show aggression when he wants to fight. It's very possible a new team will light the fire back under him, but you'd be paying for a maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Nope. He's signed to a great deal, he wears an A and he's one of the few guys who bring their A game night in and night out, plus their FO absolutely loves him.
Damn. I'm a big fan, he combines nastiness with hockey ability.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Until Clowe gets dealt,just remember this..Pittsburgh was said to be out on Iginla.

Report: Bruins currently lead the Iginla sweepstakes

Old
04-01-2013, 10:12 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
It's just that giving a 1st rounder and Leblanc (example...) for that purpose doesn't make much sense.
Agreed. But in the sentence: "We'd give a 1st and a prospect for a 4th liner", the part I object is "4th liner", not "1st and a prospect".

Well, I object to giving a 1st and a prospect, but.. the point is that Clowe would be more than "just a 4th liner". It's not like we would be acquiring Armstrong 2.0

Old
04-01-2013, 10:13 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

With the season Clow has had so far, no way you get in a bidding war for him.

If you can get him for OUR 2nd rounder after talking to his agent about an extension(and the numbers are at least in the ballpark). If you have to add LeBlanc or any decent prospect, pass.

The more guys I see signing extensions, the more I see a team like Boston overpaying for "leftovers" in a desperate attempt to compete with Pittsburgh.

There is a rumor the asking price for Clowe is Couturier...crazy!!!!

Closed Thread