HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mike Smith to Toronto

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2013, 06:07 AM
FlyingV

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
wouldn't deal Reimer for him but I don't see Smith being a UFA as a bad thing if he sucks we have no long term commitment if he's great he's #1 going forward
Considering I was talking about the Reimer proposal, him being a UFA would be a bad thing.

Old
04-01-2013, 08:38 AM
CreeksideStrangler

I like smith... his stats reflect how bad pho is atm. Would not give upreimer for him... if the price is right i would be glad to roll reims and smith

Old
04-01-2013, 08:51 AM
caribouPINE

Honestly?

Mike Smith is a PENDING UFA. 30 years old and about to make $4M+.

Reimer just turned 25, is having a BETTER year than Mike Smith and is signed for another year at $1.8M.

THINK before you post. If the Leafs acquire Mike Smith (and its possible) they won't be trading their starting goalie for him. It would be to go with a combo of Reimer AND Smith.

Old
04-01-2013, 08:55 AM
caribouPINE

When Mike Smith was 24/25 (Reimers age) he was pretty much a garbage back up goalie.

Reimer at this stage is a decent starter.

IF we did this deal we are FORCED to sign Mike Smith. He would have all the leverage and have the Leafs over a barrell. If he walks, we'd be stuck with Scrivens as the starter and no backup.

This proposal makes so little sense it's scary people think about stuff like this.

Old
04-01-2013, 08:59 AM
CreeksideStrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
When Mike Smith was 24/25 (Reimers age) he was pretty much a garbage back up goalie.

Reimer at this stage is a decent starter.

IF we did this deal we are FORCED to sign Mike Smith. He would have all the leverage and have the Leafs over a barrell. If he walks, we'd be stuck with Scrivens as the starter and no backup.

This proposal makes so little sense it's scary people think about stuff like this.
Some people just cant grasp the concept of contracts and value

Old
04-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Donmega

Not sure if srs? Is this april fools prank?

Old
04-01-2013, 10:43 AM
bootsgaudet

contracts and value ?

you'd rather lose bozak + to get bobby lou and Reimer a back up for many seasons, and the loss of scrivens who's a capable true back up?

So funny how Leaf Nation over values the players on this team always. , Reimer is not bad, but hes just a so so goalie. Just like at least on this team bozak and grabo are 1st line centres, but to the rest of the nhl they are 2nd or 3rd line yet they are and are going be paid as if they are. As per Reims stats this year, the team has been playing good hes had a few games, and few awful, Smith and phoneix, they simply cant score, not smith's fault he has to back stop that, yet has been giving them a chance to stay in games.

Same with kipper's stats, people are questioning him as well based upon the rest of the team playing like crap.

Scrivens wont get somthing done for smith, as i agree a Smith + Reimer tandem would be awesome.

But posters so far have been tremendously undervaluing Mike Smith, he's in no way like Brian Elliot choke mode, this talk about 2nd round picks is a farce, hes in the top 10 of all goalies in then nhl.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:00 AM
caribouPINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsgaudet View Post
contracts and value ?

you'd rather lose bozak + to get bobby lou and Reimer a back up for many seasons, and the loss of scrivens who's a capable true back up?

No, I'd rather do neither, HOW ABOUT THAT!?!

Sometimes the best trade you make is the one you don't!

Quote:
So funny how Leaf Nation over values the players on this team always.

I'm not overvaluing anyone. If anyone is overvaluing someone it's you with Mike Smith.

The grass is NOT always greener on the other side.

Quote:
, Reimer is not bad, but hes just a so so goalie. Just like at least on this team bozak and grabo are 1st line centres, but to the rest of the nhl they are 2nd or 3rd line yet they are and are going be paid as if they are. As per Reims stats this year, the team has been playing good hes had a few games, and few awful, Smith and phoneix, they simply cant score, not smith's fault he has to back stop that, yet has been giving them a chance to stay in games.
Mike Smith's stats have nothing to do with PHX not scoring. They are mutually exclusive. He can't score goals. His SV% doesn't magically go up if they score more goals.

Quote:
Same with kipper's stats, people are questioning him as well based upon the rest of the team playing like crap.
Meh, don't want Kypper either.

Quote:
Scrivens wont get somthing done for smith, as i agree a Smith + Reimer tandem would be awesome.
Finally! WE AGREE!

Quote:
But posters so far have been tremendously undervaluing Mike Smith, he's in no way like Brian Elliot choke mode, this talk about 2nd round picks is a farce, hes in the top 10 of all goalies in then nhl.

No, he's probably not a top 10 goalie in the NHL. Quick, Rask, Price, Lundqvist, Renne, Schneider, Anderson, Ward, Miller, and Fleury are top 10 goalies. Mike Smith is debatable sure but so are Bobrovsky, Niemi, Lehtonen, Fasth, Backstrom and even James Reimer!

At the end of the day you don't get it. If you lose Reimer for Smith, you are 100% FORCED to sign Smith for what he wants. You can not afford to lose him. He will likely command $4, maybe even $5M.

Smith at $5M or Reimer at $1.8M. You can argue all day Smith is better (and thats debatable) but he is NOT $3.2M+ better.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:12 AM
caribouPINE

Mike Smith

31 years old, about to command around $5M on the market.

Career: 116-94-32
Careeer SV%: .913
Career GAA: 2.59
Career S/O: 23

James Reimer

25 years old, signed through next season for $1.8M

Career: 47-28-13
Careeer SV%: .913
Career GAA: 2.76
Career S/O: 8

There is almost NOTHING separating the two guys.... except Reimer is 6 years younger and much cheaper.

This makes no logical sense to trade him for Mike Smith. Like I said, when Smith was Reimers age he was a backup barely scrapping by in the NHL. Reimer has shown he's a capable NHL starter.

Oh, and the little fact that Reimer this season is 13-4-4 with a SV% of .920 while Smith is 11-10-3 with a SV% of .901 doesn't help your case either. Especially considering Smith plays in a defensive style system, etc.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:14 AM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
So the OP proposals a trade for the Coyotes goalie who is currently on the IR and going to be a free agent at the end of the season?
And who got wrecked by a concussion in Tampa and may have the same issue again. Plus he is having a lousy year. Labarbera is badly outplaying him so let's not blame it on the Yotes D. Bryzgalov was a stud in the Phoenix system and look at him in Philly. Give the team around him some credit. A .918 sv% in AZ is not the same as a .918 in TO, and he is nowhere near that good lately.

I was a Smith fan when he was in Tampa and maybe the "upper body injury" isn't concussion related but annointing him a superstar after one good season is just bizarre. If he was repeating last season and not injured there would be a lot better case for trading your 25 year old #1 for a rental (or at least an arguement).

Old
04-01-2013, 11:16 AM
bootsgaudet

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
No, I'd rather do neither, HOW ABOUT THAT!?!

Sometimes the best trade you make is the one you don't!

I'm not overvaluing anyone. If anyone is overvaluing someone it's you with Mike Smith.

The grass is NOT always greener on the other side.

Mike Smith's stats have nothing to do with PHX not scoring. They are mutually exclusive. He can't score goals. His SV% doesn't magically go up if they score more goals.

Meh, don't want Kypper either.

Finally! WE AGREE!

No, he's probably not a top 10 goalie in the NHL. Quick, Rask, Price, Lundqvist, Renne, Schneider, Anderson, Ward, Miller, and Fleury are top 10 goalies. Mike Smith is debatable sure but so are Bobrovsky, Niemi, Lehtonen, Fasth, Backstrom and even James Reimer!

At the end of the day you don't get it. If you lose Reimer for Smith, you are 100% FORCED to sign Smith for what he wants. You can not afford to lose him. He will likely command $4, maybe even $5M.

Smith at $5M or Reimer at $1.8M. You can argue all day Smith is better (and thats debatable) but he is NOT $3.2M+ better.
if they dont make a goalie trade, this year will be for nothing but a quick playoff exit. Smith making 4 - 5 million will make him an average paid starting goalie, and concering the 3.2 million , Reimer is an Rfa after next season he will get his raise, and since its the leafs its going to be same money as smith would get... id say 4 - 5 milllion.

And his team not scoring and playing bad, do mean his numbers are not going to be great. Great goalies can be on **** teams and have **** numbers. Which is the case.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:24 AM
bootsgaudet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
And who got wrecked by a concussion in Tampa and may have the same issue again. Plus he is having a lousy year. Labarbera is badly outplaying him so let's not blame it on the Yotes D. Bryzgalov was a stud in the Phoenix system and look at him in Philly. Give the team around him some credit. A .918 sv% in AZ is not the same as a .918 in TO, and he is nowhere near that good lately.

I was a Smith fan when he was in Tampa and maybe the "upper body injury" isn't concussion related but annointing him a superstar after one good season is just bizarre. If he was repeating last season and not injured there would be a lot better case for trading your 25 year old #1 for a rental (or at least an arguement).

Where did i ever say he was a super star, i only ever said good goalie and exactly what the leafs need. Bryzgalov is a russian joke, Smith on the other hand, i at least watch leafs games, and i do ducks and Phoneix`games. Smith is lights out and gives phoniex a chance to win even when they clearly shouldnt. Only reason the coyotes won 2 of those 3 in a row vs. the ducks was because of his unbelivable play. (not to say thats the sole reason he should go to the leafs.)

Lupul was a 3rd line injury prone LW on the ducks , and francois beauchim was a `****** 3rd pariing dman`on the the leafs.

Look at them both now, stats, play etc... ****** stats in one season dosen always mean much overall.

Last edited by bootsgaudet: 04-01-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old
04-01-2013, 11:36 AM
bootsgaudet

Labarbera
G Min W L OTL GA GAA SA SV SV% SO
12 546 2 5 2 24 2.64 291 267 .918 0

Smith
26 1465 11 10 3 69 2.83 696 627 .901 4

Reimer
G Min W L OTL GA GAA SA SV SV% So
22 1212 13 4 4 51 2.52 636 585 .920 2

Hiller
GP W L OT GA SA SV SV% GAA SO PIM MIN
21 12 4 4 50 544 494 .908 2.46 1 2 1,220

I dont see how labarbera is badly outplaying him ?

Smith's numbers are not even that bad, imo, compareable to reimer, 4 games more played yet has only faced 60 more shots. Compare him to hiller and hiller is playing on a team thats playing great. hes the opposite of smith, the ducks have to outplay the other teams that much more when hiller is in, because hes not solid, yet people are saying hiller is playing great. Goalies live and die with how the rest of the team is playing, you need to be able to see through the stats.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:55 AM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Where did i ever say he was a super star, i only ever said good goalie and exactly what the leafs need. Bryzgalov is a russian joke, Smith on the other hand, i at least watch leafs games, and i do ducks and Phoneix`games. Smith is lights out and gives phoniex a chance to win even when they clearly shouldnt. Only reason the coyotes won 2 of those 3 in a row vs. the ducks was because of his unbelivable play. (not to say thats the sole reason he should go to the leafs.)

Lupul was a 3rd line injury prone LW on the ducks , and francois beauchim was a `****** 3rd pariing dman`on the the leafs.

Look at them both now, stats, play etc... ****** stats in one season dosen always mean much overall.

Labarbera
12 546 2 5 2 24 2.64 291 267 .918 0

Smith
26 1465 11 10 3 69 2.83 696 627 .901 4

I dont see how labarbera is badly outplaying him ?

Smith's numbers are not even that bad, imo.
You must be looking at his won - lost record maybe? .901 sv% puts him 53rd in the league. The league average is around .915. His GA is 49th. If he saw as much rubber as Labarbera his GA would be over 3.00 per game. If he was lights out in any games then he was absolutely porous in others.

I know how good he looked last year and I remember how good he was in Tampa but he wasn't that guy this year. If you think he is having a good season in 12-13 then I can't argue with you but I think if you look at the history you will find most goalies who go .901 sv% aren't invited back the next year.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:58 AM
Christ

As a Leaf fan I am more than happy to keep Reimer who has been more than fine for us this season...

Old
04-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Quote:
if they dont make a goalie trade, this year will be for nothing but a quick playoff exit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
As a Leaf fan I am more than happy to keep Reimer who has been more than fine for us this season...
But we'll make a 1st round exit !!!!!!!

Old
04-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Vor
RIP Lounge

vCash: 145
Absolutely zero reason or incentive for Toronto to trade Reimer for Smith. Like, why? What is the motivation to trade our homegrown, still-young starting goaltender for a guy whose been nothing but up and down in his career that's looking for an unwarranted, massive contract? I have never, ever been sold on Smith. Not in Tampa, not in Dallas, not in Phoenix. Do not want.

Closed Thread