HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's Time to Tank: Who Gets Moved

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-31-2013, 12:24 PM
  #551
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther
 
CanadianPanther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Caledon, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,501
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Huh? I said I'd rather have him be the #1 Center in San Antonio then get crap minutes on the fourth line. Shore's defensive game is good. He needs to develop his offensive game which is why playing a lot in the AHL makes more sense. I don't know yet if he will be. I highly doubt he'll be a #1 center but he has a good shot at being a career #2 guy. Matthias is certainly not a #1 center either.

I'm also not convinced Matthias's performance lately is the true Matthias. He's going to come down to earth. I'm not trying to take anything away from him but he's on a super hot streak and I don't think it's an honest assessment to believe his play in March is the player he's going to be. Probably somewhere in between what he's doing now and what he was doing in January.
No I know you mean #1 Center in SA but I'm more saying right now, Shore's only spot is 2nd line Center, he's typecast into that spot. So if Shore's defensive game is good than why not have him play a more defensive style moving forward. I say move him down to 4th line and see what he can do, evaluate and decide his future.

There's only 12 games left so if I was Dineen, I'd be switching lines around to get a better idea of what works for next year.

CanadianPanther is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 12:27 PM
  #552
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther
 
CanadianPanther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Caledon, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,501
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I don't think Matthias is necessarily going to become a consistent 30 goal scorer, but I think he could develop into a quality #2 center.

Imagine:
Bjugstad 6'6" 230 lbs.
Matthias 6'4" 220 lbs.

As your 1-2 punch down the middle

CanadianPanther is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 12:29 PM
  #553
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 9,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPanther View Post
No I know you mean #1 Center in SA but I'm more saying right now, Shore's only spot is 2nd line Center, he's typecast into that spot. So if Shore's defensive game is good than why not have him play a more defensive style moving forward. I say move him down to 4th line and see what he can do, evaluate and decide his future.

There's only 12 games left so if I was Dineen, I'd be switching lines around to get a better idea of what works for next year.
He can take over third line duties too. Why would we waste his potential on the fourth line? We can get a free agent to play 10 minutes a night on the fourth line. We also have a bunch of prospects who probably don't have the offensive upside of shore. We need him to develop his offensive game, it's there.

RainingRats is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 12:35 PM
  #554
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther
 
CanadianPanther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Caledon, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,501
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
He can take over third line duties too. Why would we waste his potential on the fourth line? We can get a free agent to play 10 minutes a night on the fourth line. We also have a bunch of prospects who probably don't have the offensive upside of shore. We need him to develop his offensive game, it's there.
Ya I'd be fine with Shore on 3rd line with Bergy and Kopy, unfortunately Goc would have to go then. I don't want to see him go because he is useful even for one more year at an affordable cap hit. I'm really hoping Tallon doesn't trade Goc AND Kopecky, they're both great utility players.

See how Weiss is problem/solution to the puzzle for next year's depth at Center.

CanadianPanther is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 12:40 PM
  #555
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 9,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPanther View Post
Ya I'd be fine with Shore on 3rd line with Bergy and Kopy, unfortunately Goc would have to go then. I don't want to see him go because he is useful even for one more year at an affordable cap hit. I'm really hoping Tallon doesn't trade Goc AND Kopecky, they're both great utility players.

See how Weiss is problem/solution to the puzzle for next year's depth at Center.
I'll be very surprised if Weiss is back. If Weiss comes back it's a good problem to have.

I think Kopecky's contract is too much for a lot of teams and we lack his style of play so it wouldn't be a good idea to trade him. You can see why he's won two cups.

I think Tallon cashes in on the high selling prices and moves Goc.

RainingRats is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 12:41 PM
  #556
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,069
vCash: 500
Goc filled a needed role at the time and he did a great job. We NEED Weiss or a replacement brought from outside to be a stopgap for the #1 job for a couple years. And we also have two young centers, Matthias and Shore, who need playing time. Bjugstad will also be competing with Shore in camp. Goc has to go. Even if he plays on the 4th line, his salary would be excessive for a 4th line center. That money can be better utilized.

Markstrom Rules is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 01:11 PM
  #557
Dr Beinfest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,026
vCash: 500
We are absolutely loaded at center, but yeah, we need a #1 guy to move in there. Doesn't have to be an all-star, but we can't be running rookies as #1 Cs.

Dr Beinfest is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 01:25 PM
  #558
Holy Jokinen
Registered User
 
Holy Jokinen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa/Boca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,818
vCash: 500
I've seen a fair amount of Bjugstad since we drafted him, but i don't recall him hitting much. Anyone think he'll develop that game when he goes pro?

Holy Jokinen is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 01:29 PM
  #559
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
I've seen a fair amount of Bjugstad since we drafted him, but i don't recall him hitting much. Anyone think he'll develop that game when he goes pro?
He doesn't go out of his way to hit people, but you better be prepared if you are in his way.

Markstrom Rules is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 01:36 PM
  #560
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!
 
AwesomePanthers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Norway
Posts: 8,627
vCash: 500
We could sign Bjugstad, and use him in 7-8 NHL games without taking a year off his ECL. Or are you guys thinking AHL?

AwesomePanthers is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 01:38 PM
  #561
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 9,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
We could sign Bjugstad, and use him in 7-8 NHL games without taking a year off his ECL. Or are you guys thinking AHL?
7-8 games at the NHL level would be my preference. Just so he can see how fast the game is. It would give him great perspective going into training for the summer and what he can expect for camp next year.

RainingRats is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 01:46 PM
  #562
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian
 
Ghoste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,055
vCash: 835
If we move Goc then perhaps maybe we re-sign Weiss? I really want Bjugstad, Knight, & Trocheck to at the very least start in San Antonio next season.

-ghoste

Ghoste is online now  
Old
03-31-2013, 02:15 PM
  #563
hockey dude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Matthias always blossoms after a few years. Thought he'd catch on sooner, but I think this is closer to who he is. He's likely gonna be streaky, though.
Agree that this is closer to who Matthias is. Having followed Matthias through Juniors I can say that he is not a streaky player however he is slow off the mark and never really gets rolling till about December in a regular season or March in a shortened season such as this year. And yes maybe he is on a bit of a tear at the moment and will likely settle down some. Even if he is scoring only 6 goals a month that puts him around 35 goals a year - not too shabby!

For those of you who are still not sold it has just been about three games where he has moved up in lines, most of his goals were playing with lesser hockey players which also has a lot to do with the low assist count.

I wonder where Matthias would be now if he had the opportunities to prove himself on a second line like Shore has. Man, the kid would make a mistake and de Boer would have him riding the pine in no time. Shore in my opinion has been over exposed and needs to go down a line or two and work his way back up.

What does a first line center look like? I think we all agree not Steven Weiss. So why bring him back if he really is not part of the future. We going to pay him 5 mill along with Versteeg's and Fleishman's 4.5 mill to underachieve.

And for all of you hanging your hat on Bjugstad, big centermen take time and as I understand it he didn't show well in NCAA tourney; what makes you think he will get up to the NHL and suddenly turn it around?

Matthias as I have always thought is a first line center as well as being a big game type player.


Last edited by hockey dude: 03-31-2013 at 02:42 PM.
hockey dude is online now  
Old
03-31-2013, 03:09 PM
  #564
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey dude View Post
Agree that this is closer to who Matthias is. Having followed Matthias through Juniors I can say that he is not a streaky player however he is slow off the mark and never really gets rolling till about December in a regular season or March in a shortened season such as this year. And yes maybe he is on a bit of a tear at the moment and will likely settle down some. Even if he is scoring only 6 goals a month that puts him around 35 goals a year - not too shabby!

For those of you who are still not sold it has just been about three games where he has moved up in lines, most of his goals were playing with lesser hockey players which also has a lot to do with the low assist count.

I wonder where Matthias would be now if he had the opportunities to prove himself on a second line like Shore has. Man, the kid would make a mistake and de Boer would have him riding the pine in no time. Shore in my opinion has been over exposed and needs to go down a line or two and work his way back up.

What does a first line center look like? I think we all agree not Steven Weiss. So why bring him back if he really is not part of the future. We going to pay him 5 mill along with Versteeg's and Fleishman's 4.5 mill to underachieve.

And for all of you hanging your hat on Bjugstad, big centermen take time and as I understand it he didn't show well in NCAA tourney; what makes you think he will get up to the NHL and suddenly turn it around?

Matthias as I have always thought is a first line center as well as being a big game type player.
Excellent post.

This was my number one gripe with the Bore (lord. Knows I had many). Him and kulikov would NEVER have progressed...

adam graves is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 03:33 PM
  #565
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator
 
Boothinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,061
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
If we move Goc then perhaps maybe we re-sign Weiss? I really want Bjugstad, Knight, & Trocheck to at the very least start in San Antonio next season.

-ghoste
I am still not expecting him to sign before Free Agency and that is a situation where Tallon should think about trading him!!
We also have the opportunity to draft Nathan MacKinnon which I prefer more anyway if we finish in the bottom 5 which is likely. Weiss' time here is done and if he asks for 4+ he can go..That would be a waste of money IMO

Boothinator is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 05:18 PM
  #566
IceManCat
A New Era
 
IceManCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Miami
Country: United States
Posts: 1,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
I've seen a fair amount of Bjugstad since we drafted him, but i don't recall him hitting much. Anyone think he'll develop that game when he goes pro?

Hes no Clutterbuck but at the same time hes no Parros either

IceManCat is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 06:43 PM
  #567
PanthersHockey1
Bond.
 
PanthersHockey1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UF & Boca Raton
Country: United States
Posts: 5,535
vCash: 500
i still think its a bit premature to pencil mathias in for the 2nd line center role. one season does not make a career but given talented line mates he has been able to score.

Like others have said lets see what happens with weiss.

PanthersHockey1 is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 06:52 PM
  #568
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator
 
Boothinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,061
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
i still think its a bit premature to pencil mathias in for the 2nd line center role. one season does not make a career but given talented line mates he has been able to score.

Like others have said lets see what happens with weiss.
Well, he played with Goc & Skille before. Not saying they played bad, they were one of the better lines the whole time. But you still cant compare it to playing with Huby & Mueller.

Boothinator is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 09:47 AM
  #569
SeasonTicket
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 530
vCash: 500
I don't think he played more than a couple of games with Goc all year.

He had been with Skille for most of the season till Skille got hurt again. Both Skille and Matthias have been the high energy guys on most nights from the start of the season. And probably two of our best players on most nights.

But besides Skille, when Matthias has played center his other winger has been basically everyone. He had call up Rheault for 5 games, Kopecky, Santo, Parros, and Upshall. Did I miss anyone?

SeasonTicket is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 10:31 AM
  #570
hockey dude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
i still think its a bit premature to pencil mathias in for the 2nd line center role. one season does not make a career but given talented line mates he has been able to score.

Like others have said lets see what happens with weiss.
Funny to me how so many are unwilling to pencil Matthias in as a second line center yet already have Bjugstad as a first liner. As Drew Shore can probably now tell you; there are no free lunches in the NHL!!

hockey dude is online now  
Old
04-01-2013, 10:38 AM
  #571
PanthersHockey1
Bond.
 
PanthersHockey1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UF & Boca Raton
Country: United States
Posts: 5,535
vCash: 500
Eklund speculated this and I think he may be right that the panthers could end up being buyers or at least over summer i can see another brian campbell like contract (This time a forward) who is overpaid and underperforming end up coming to the panthers for little to nothing going the other way because many teams will have to fit under the shrinking cap.

PanthersHockey1 is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 10:46 AM
  #572
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther
 
CanadianPanther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Caledon, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,501
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey dude View Post
Funny to me how so many are unwilling to pencil Matthias in as a second line center yet already have Bjugstad as a first liner. As Drew Shore can probably now tell you; there are no free lunches in the NHL!!
My thoughts exactly, Matthias is all around a better player than Shore right now. Put Matthias on the 2nd line with Hubs and Mueller going forward, it will probably end up being our most consistent line next year.

Tallon can't afford to lose Weiss and Goc and not have at least one replacement at Center, Shore can be bumped down to 3rd line with Bergy and Kopecky. That would have Matthias as #2, Shore as #3 and it would leave 1st line Center and 4th line Center unfilled at the moment depending on what Tallon can do with Weiss and if Goc isn't traded.

CanadianPanther is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 10:49 AM
  #573
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
Eklund speculated this and I think he may be right that the panthers could end up being buyers or at least over summer i can see another brian campbell like contract (This time a forward) who is overpaid and underperforming end up coming to the panthers for little to nothing going the other way because many teams will have to fit under the shrinking cap.
I agree with this. We are ideally situated to take advantage of this if we choose, and can basically take our pick of the litter. Too bad we couldn't unload Versteeg before he got injured though.

Markstrom Rules is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 10:59 AM
  #574
FrolikFan67
Registered User
 
FrolikFan67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,295
vCash: 500
if we draft mackinnon, we'd have mackinnon, bjugstad, goc, matthias, then shore and trocheck, so id rather wait till after the draft to see what to do with weiss and goc. if we draft mackinnon i think he and bjugstad both will be playing here along with matthias, weiss wouldnt be resigned, and goc will probably be traded.

FrolikFan67 is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 11:02 AM
  #575
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!
 
AwesomePanthers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Norway
Posts: 8,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrolikFan67 View Post
if we draft mackinnon, we'd have mackinnon, bjugstad, goc, matthias, then shore and trocheck, so id rather wait till after the draft to see what to do with weiss and goc. if we draft mackinnon i think he and bjugstad both will be playing here along with matthias, weiss wouldnt be resigned, and goc will probably be traded.
Thats why we should trade Goc at the deadline while he has value to a contender..

AwesomePanthers is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.