HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

randy tieman + chris nilan = total awkwardness

Old
03-27-2013, 03:59 PM
Lshap

vCash: 500
They should pair Chris with Bobby Dollas. I'd like to hear two ex-players dig down into the game, rather than more fan-boy opinions.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:02 PM
yoyo999

I've been listening to TSN690 at work and at first I found it odd that they would give Nilan his own show. So I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

After a week, I am disappointed. You can really tell he has little training in the field of media/broadcasting. Being a guest is one thing, but being 'on the radio' is another. For all we know though, TSN could be giving him lessons in the meantime.

I just find him very monotone. No charisma. His segways into breaks are poorly timed. Even as the host I find he reverts to the role of sidekick, he rarely takes control of the direction the conversation is going in and sort of feeds off, campbell or mckenna. With practice and time these things will come I suppose. He needs to learn how to be a host and not a colour man.

I love it when he gives analysis from the point of view of the goon. That's what he knows. I'll give it some more time before I write him off.

yoyo999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:03 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

honestly i love knuckles but this has Melnik pulling strings all over it.
He's really not good as host. Doesnt have the flow needed.

I honestly thought Connor or Simon Tsalikis were going to get the spot.

I like Simon and Connor alot more as hosts.
Connor has that dry sarcastic condescending humor, and Simon is the no BS straight talking energy guy.

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:28 PM
RushDP

He's been at it for a week. How about we give the guy a month or so like we gave Marinaro a year when he was with Elias and Anber? He still blows but at least he was given a chance.

Stock was really bad for the first month...way worse than Nilan is right now. I do agree that he could use some help from guys like Connor or Simon but let's give him a shot before we run him down.

He seems to be a genuine guy that has overcome a lot and has some insight that we may all enjoy if we let him get comfortable.

If we can put up with Gorges on the PP for most of the season without flipping we can surely have a little more patience with Nilan!

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 06:23 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Nilan is not going anywhere, he's bringing lots of listeners from towns all over the NHL. Sure he's going to have some bad shows, but I think that he'll get better.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:45 PM
Mats86

The Ray Bourque interview was pretty good. But yeah, Nilan not trained for job overall

Mats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:12 AM
PyrettaBlaze*

I think Nilan is actually drunk/hungover today. What the ****?

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
I don't understand why the station doesn't train people and give them their chance on air. Instead of bringing some ex-player or host of another TV/Radio show, why don't they do some research on blog writers in Montreal - shock and awe, there are some pretty smart ones - and give them a microphone and some time on the airwaves.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:29 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
I think Nilan is actually drunk/hungover today. What the ****?
he sounded like this when I initially made this thread.

He needs a host that can carry the load and he needs to play on his drunk wacky side a bit more.

coolasprICE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:32 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I don't understand why the station doesn't train people and give them their chance on air. Instead of bringing some ex-player or host of another TV/Radio show, why don't they do some research on blog writers in Montreal - shock and awe, there are some pretty smart ones - and give them a microphone and some time on the airwaves.
Nobody cares about some blogger, frankly... Unless he was particularly entertaining.

I wouldn't want to really listen a ''smart blogger'' on the radio.. Like kill me now, I want to laugh, have my day go by quick.

The reason why Nilan is given the opportunity is because , he's Nilan, with tons of twitter followers and connections.

Nilan can be entertaining if given the right sidekick...

Do people really listen to 690 for Corsi talk?

Old
04-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Nobody cares about some blogger, frankly... Unless he was particularly entertaining.

I wouldn't want to really listen a ''smart blogger'' on the radio.. Like kill me now, I want to laugh, have my day go by quick.

The reason why Nilan is given the opportunity is because , he's Nilan, with tons of twitter followers and connections.

Nilan can be entertaining if given the right sidekick...

Do people really listen to 690 for Corsi talk?
I think you need your mix of entertainment and knowledge. If a radio host can entertain, make me laugh and then turn around and say something that makes me think or teaches me something I did not know about X player concerning X stat, he's done his job well.

Enough with the "oh, he has connections and Twitter followers." Big deal. If the thousands of followers are tunning in and three quarters of them are tunning right back out because of the brutal quality of the show, he's failed to do his job.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:47 PM
yoyo999

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I think you need your mix of entertainment and knowledge. If a radio host can entertain, make me laugh and then turn around and say something that makes me think or teaches me something I did not know about X player concerning X stat, he's done his job well.

Enough with the "oh, he has connections and Twitter followers." Big deal. If the thousands of followers are tunning in and three quarters of them are tunning right back out because of the brutal quality of the show, he's failed to do his job.
As I've mentioned before, for all we know Bell Media could be paying for broadcast lessons for Nilan while he's doing his show. Time will tell I guess.

For them to put him in this situation, they must really like him and his story and want to play a part in seeing him do well. I do wish him the best and all the success in his recovery, but for now I think he'd be better suited as a right hand man to one of campbell or salikas, then as he gets more comfortable they can transition him into a host.

yoyo999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Garry Valk

I personally like Nilan a lot. His story is phenomenal - if you haven't seen the Last Gladiators, it's worth watching. I think he's growing into the media stuff as time goes on. I really like Conor McKenna too though. I think he and Nilan would be great co-hosts.

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 10:22 PM
habs93

Nilan can not make more than a couple of sentences without muttering "hmm-ohh-ahh" etc definitely not cut out to be a host a radio show - Needs a co-host full time. Thought Nilan would be a better speaker since he does a bunch of personal appearances & No Bullying seminars but not the case......

habs93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 10:27 PM
NHLFutureGuy3

As long we are talking about the tsn690, I miss hearing Tony Marinaro with PJ Stock. That was a killer combination. They were both guys that could get under each other's skin.

NHLFutureGuy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:35 AM
coolasprICE

On air right now is Connor and Nilan. It makes a big difference. Pairing Nilan with someone like Randy Tieman was cruel. I think it's cool that he's on so long as he's paired well.

Here's a drinking game:

Take a shot of your favorite drink each time Nilan says ''you know'' and ''uuhhhh'.

You'll be donkey wasted by 1pm

Old
04-02-2013, 11:49 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Nilan has made 1-3PM a lot more listenable.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Lozela

They should give Amanda Stein a show

BTW the saturday afternoon might be one of the best shows. They usually have Bobby Dollas there

Lozela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 01:51 PM
greyboy67

I love Chris and his approach to hockey. He's had a bumpy start but we should give him some time. He can grow into this gig.

Regardless, the guy bleeds bleu, rouge, et blanc and I make a point of listening to him as often as i can—and I live in the SF Bay area.

greyboy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 2615
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I like Nilan and its great that he has his own show but he needs to do shows with Connor Mckenna (spelling?).
What does Connor McKenna know about hockey LOL

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Gally11

They should give Anna her own show, Galchenyuk hour

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:17 AM
InfieldFlyRule
Rookie User

With the departure of that jolly buffoon Randy Tieman, I thought that TSN 690 would finally embrace the idea of radio personalities who had broadcast standards, an opinion, and abilitiy to entertain to fill the afternoon slot. Was glad to hear Tsalikis (Morency light) get the nod. Sadly, that was short lived. That countless interns and communication students must have let out a collective scream with the announcement of Chris Nilan as the new host. His radio show is embarrassing, not to mention painful to hear. Can't help thinking that the management at TSN 690 is actually trying to lose listeners. It was obvious they didn't listen to Randy stumble and fumble his way for years, and now they can ignore another host who ironically cannot speak off the cuff. Good luck

InfieldFlyRule is offline   Reply With Quote