HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Columbus a Buyer; One of their 1st round picks in play for scoring help

Old
04-01-2013, 11:50 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
I highly doubt it given his salary, but Stastny? He wouldn't be a rental as he has another year.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Looks like a lot of people are extrapolating from the trades that involved prospects/2nd rounders to subjectively better players netting 1st round picks, IMO. It tends to not work that way. Not many of the names mentioned in here will return first round picks this year.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

vCash: 50
Stempniak and 3rd 2013 for 1st 2013 (LA's)?

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:51 AM
IranCondraAffair

So far it seems like very few teams have been willing to pony up 1st rounders so far. NJD lost theirs. Pitt's is traded, LA and NYR already belong to C-Bus. Winnipeg, St. Louis, Detroit, San Jose, and Carolina aren't in a solid enough position to trade theirs yet if they even will. In San Jose's position they probably won't be trading theirs regardless.

I don't know about some of the other remaining teams but I also know Ottawa has made some pretty reliable statements that their 1st rounder isn't on the table during their rebuild, I'm pretty sure Toronto is in the same position as well.. If they aren't lying that only leaves......Boston, Montreal, Chicago, Anaheim, Minny, and Vancouver.

Of those remaining six teams I can only imagine 3 more 1st rounders are on the table.

Given the situation, I think C-bus will be able to get good value by giving one up. I don't think they'll be after a straight rental though, too much risk if they miss the playoffs. They're not rebuilding though so a middle aged player wouldn't be out of the question.

Cammalleri seems like a good option. You'll get another year out of him and Flames fans don't seem to be asking the world for him. He's got some great playoff stats if you consider that important too.

Pominville and Vanek are purported to be available as well. Both are quality players. A 1st round pick is a good start for either of them, though both will cost more than Cammalleri

Interesting stuff. It's not often a playoff teams has 3 first rounders. None of them are likely to be lottery picks either which makes them even more tradable.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
If they were smart CLB would trade the LA one and keep the NYR one. At the rate we are going, our pick could turn out to be a top 10 pick. (through no fault of Nash either, mostly Richards and Tortorella).

Stephen

Don't do it Columbus, it may be a mirage!

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:52 AM
TychoFan

vCash: 216
I wonder how Rick Nash would feel if Gaborik actually got traded to CBJ and won the cup there...

I do hope that the Blue Jackets make some interesting trades, I want to see how it'll turn out for them.

TychoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
LA, NYR and CLB

use the LA 1st to get some help for the guys this year.

That team has put themselves in position for a PO berth.

The GM has an obligation to do all that he can (within reason) to get them a piece that can help them get IN the PO's.

As a growing team and franchise, the push for the PO's and a PO appearance would be huge.

Granted, you don't waste the pick on a guy that is set to test the UFA waters, they are not there yet, but if you can get a guy for this season and PO's and next year and whatever, you have to look at it.
It's not that simple.

Columbus could go from 8th to 12th in a matter of days. They have played 3 more games than St.Louis and just have one more point.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Except Nonis did make some moves like demote Connolly and Komisarek, which Burke, being those were his acquisitions, was unwilling to do, and he also acquired McLaren.

Kekalainen has really done nothing, so far, save a couple AHL trades, but the team is playing better.
This man right here is why they're fighting for a playoff spot-

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:55 AM
SchultzSquared

If the Oilers lose tonight they will have to decide whether to fight for 8th being four points out... or look to a top ten pick again

I think personally they sell... Hemsky + Whitney for 1st + 3rd... Jackets get more depth

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:55 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
I actually like this aggressiveness. They've got three picks, and none of them look like lottery contenders. Can easily flip for a good player who can help now while still adding two good prospects come draft day.

04-01-2013, 11:57 AM
clumping platelets

Pominville and 4th 2013 for #1 in 2013 (which one depends on if BJ's make and how far they progress in playoffs), Brassard, and prospect

Pominville has a year left on his contract after this season

clumping platelets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:57 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Have a funny feeling this could involve Calgary, myself.
He probably just got that from the Columbus Dispatch. I still don't think we trade any picks now. We might at the draft, but not now.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:58 AM
Lebanese Leaf

Macarthur makes a lot of sense. 27 years old, in his prime, 17 points in 30 games this year. Can play anywhere in the top 9 wing positions. He will flourish in Columbus getting top 6 minutes and likely top unit PP time.

From a Leafs' standpoint, he is expendable. With Komarov returning, I can see us rolling a line of Komarov-Grabo-Frattin, instead of Macarthur-Grabo-Frattin. Although Komarov doesn't bring as much offensively, he brings a better defensive and physical game. If we're getting a 1st in return, that's a downgrade I am willing to make.

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:00 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmack224 View Post
What are the Blue Jackets needs? Any interest in Stafford or Pomminville?

Stafford for a 1st

Pomminville for Jenner and a 1st

Something around these lines?
No thanks and NO THANKS.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:01 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
Macarthur makes a lot of sense. 27 years old, in his prime, 17 points in 30 games this year. Can play anywhere in the top 9 wing positions. He will flourish in Columbus getting top 6 minutes and likely top unit PP time.

From a Leafs' standpoint, he is expendable. With Komarov returning, I can see us rolling a line of Komarov-Grabo-Frattin, instead of Macarthur-Grabo-Frattin. Although Komarov doesn't bring as much offensively, he brings a better defensive and physical game. If we're getting a 1st in return, that's a downgrade I am willing to make.
I wouldn't give up a 1st for MacArthur.

Also, he would be a rental. The Jackets aren't looking for a rental

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:02 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by clumping platelets View Post
Pominville and 4th 2013 for #1 in 2013 (which one depends on if BJ's make and how far they progress in playoffs), Brassard, and prospect

Make your pick a 3rd (only because we don't have one), and make our prospect, oh I don't know.. David Savard or TJ Tynan (or one of their ilk), and I would make this deal. Love Pominville and I think he would be a great fit.

edit: I was unaware that Pominville was 30 already, not that that's a complete deal breaker, just thought he was 28 for some reason. Still, I'd love to acquire him. Maybe our lowest first, or middle, depending on where it ends up, plus Brassard. Brass isn't far behind him in points this year, and has quite a few years on JP. I think the difference could be a mid-teen, early-twenties pick. Though I know Pominville is well liked in Buffalo.

Last edited by Ludicrous Speed: 04-01-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:03 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

vCash: 588
Cmon Columbus don't be stupid.

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:04 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Gaborik (who has undeniable chemistry with Prospal) could be a good fit for the Blue Jackets.

Just not sure what I would want.

They have a few prospects that are enticing, but at this stage, I don't see CLB willing to do that and rightfully so.

Not sure they are going to move more than one first rounder.

CLB fans, what do you have available outside of the 1st?
I wouldn't trade any draft picks or top prospects if I were the GM. In fact, I would be trading for more draft picks and prospects.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:07 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
I actually like this aggressiveness. They've got three picks, and none of them look like lottery contenders. Can easily flip for a good player who can help now while still adding two good prospects come draft day.
Maybe. The thing that surprises me is that Davidson and Jarmo said they would not trade away something that can help in the future just to try to make the playoffs this season.

So hopefully if they DO make a move as a buyer they acquire someone who is more than a rental and can help going forward.

I don't think they can make a positive move by simply moving a single draft pick. It would need to be part of a package. So no "LA 1st for Lee Stempniak" type hooliganism.

Quote:
It's sorta sad, really, that this is basically Scott Howson's team and they're playing well and Howson is out of a job.
I can see where you're coming from, but Howson isn't out of a job because he picked up a scouting spot in Edmonton.

I've heard it described as being a necessary step for both parties. While Howson obviously cares a lot about the team he created and wants to be an NHL GM I think the separation at this point was good for both the Jackets and him. If he is as good as some think then he WILL get another crack at a high end job in the NHL sooner rather than later. And maybe he'll be better this time around, or maybe it will be in a capacity which better fits his skillset.

Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:07 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
If the Oilers lose tonight they will have to decide whether to fight for 8th being four points out... or look to a top ten pick again

I think personally they sell... Hemsky + Whitney for 1st + 3rd... Jackets get more depth
I don't want Hemsky and we have NO NEED for Whitney.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:08 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by clumping platelets View Post

NO WAY. Why would we trade all that for one player when we likely aren't even going to make the playoffs?

Old
04-01-2013, 12:11 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
Make your pick a 3rd (only because we don't have one), and make our prospect, oh I don't know.. David Savard or TJ Tynan (or one of their ilk), and I would make this deal. Love Pominville and I think he would be a great fit.

edit: I was unaware that Pominville was 30 already, not that that's a complete deal breaker, just thought he was 28 for some reason. Still, I'd love to acquire him.
So, you are willing to trade our #2 C, a 1st, and a prospect for a 30 yo who has 5 more points than the #2 C we are trading and a 3rd/4th?

Old
04-01-2013, 12:14 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post

A) no...awful terrible, don't want either
B) we don't have a 3rd

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:15 PM
doubledown99

C. MacArthur is not worth a 1st. Leaf fans give it up. Not going no happen.

doubledown99 is offline   Reply With Quote