HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Mark Pysyk Thread

Old
03-21-2013, 09:28 AM
stokes84

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving Zisman View Post
Force-feeding him Top 4 minutes is a recipe for disaster, IMO. The team tried to do that with Butler post Tallinder/Lydman and it wasn't pretty. I think playing him on the bottom pair with a likely re-signed Weber would be ideal; let's him get easy minutes and a stable vet presence to play with.
Pysyk and Butler aren't on the same level.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:35 AM
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Pysyk and Butler aren't on the same level.
Maybe not, but as someone pointed out earlier, history often repeats itself with young players (especially defenseman). How many times have we seen a good young player do well in his first call-up, followed by lots of excitement from the fanbase and "penciling" him in for a bigger role, only to see the player then struggle the following season due to increased expectations and role? It happens all the time in the NHL. Pysyk is good don't get me wrong, but he's not at the same level or ready for as big a role as guys like Doughty or Myers were at the same age.

Irving Zisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:40 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving Zisman View Post
Maybe not, but as someone pointed out earlier, history often repeats itself with young players (especially defenseman). How many times have we seen a good young player do well in his first call-up, followed by lots of excitement from the fanbase and "penciling" him in for a bigger role, only to see the player then struggle the following season due to increased expectations and role? It happens all the time in the NHL. Pysyk is good don't get me wrong, but he's not at the same level or ready for as big a role as a Doughty or Myers were at the same age.
Doughty and Myers were playing the #1 role at 19. Pysyk is 21 already, if I'm not mistaken. They've handled him delicately so far, and I think they want to see him push his way there for the rest of this season. Your points are valid, but personally, I think he's going to earn it. Top 4 by 22 years old is hardly unheard of for first round picks these days. The skill and the brain are obvious. It will be rewarded.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:54 AM
MayDay

Have to say I haven't really noticed him at all.

Which for a defenseman is a pretty good thing.

MayDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:09 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
I've liked what I've seen, but I'll remain cautiously optimistic. We've seen more than one young defensemen have a good first year, keeping things simple and playing with enthusiasm, followed by a second season of over thinking things and battling with the pressure of increased expectations.
I'm here as well -- cautiously optimistic. He's done everything I expected him to so far, including leapfrogging to the top of the recall chart by the end of the year. That said, we've seen plenty of guys look great in intial callups but need time to return to that level after any sort of slump. Sekera had some adjustment time. Weber probably still isn't to the initial level he displayed in his first recalls. Butler, McNabb, hell, even Myers has backslid and they need/needed time to get back to the level they initially displayed.

Not bashing Mark, just wanting people to temper their expectations. Good luck with that, right?

03-21-2013, 02:09 PM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent42 View Post
Me too! The guy makes a safe first pass, hard and on the blade, and I go "wow, he's good!" Then I realize it's the others who are not.
His passes were so crisp and on the tape that it takes the forwards by surprise. They're not used to this level of competence.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:18 AM
hong57

Hi there,
just want to know how his play is as of late. Getting any pp / pk time?
Cheers

hong57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:07 AM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by hong57 View Post
Hi there,
just want to know how his play is as of late. Getting any pp / pk time?
Cheers
No PP or PK time.

Usually not the first on the ice after a PP, sometimes first on ice after PK.

He's a rookie, so he's had good moments and not-so-good moments. But you can tell that he's going to be one poised defenseman who will be positionally sound and make an excellent first pass.

Given that he's a rookie, I couldn't be more pleased with his play.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:29 AM
cybresabre
Zemgus!

vCash: 723
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
I thought he was remarkable in Princess Bride. He looks smaller in person, though.

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:32 AM
Revelate

He needs to get stronger. Vision, poise, and hockey IQ looks very promising. He also doesn't shy away from contact. He just needs to fill out his frame.

Revelate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 03:31 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate View Post
He needs to get stronger. Vision, poise, and hockey IQ looks very promising. He also doesn't shy away from contact. He just needs to fill out his frame.
This is fair. The brain aspect is there. Smooth skater. Good with the puck on his stick. Can make a nice first pass. Just needs to fill out and get more experience/confidence.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:11 AM
hong57

Good to hear guys.. always welcome to see the rookies are getting some time and experience to get ready for the big show

Old
04-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybresabre View Post
I thought he was remarkable in Princess Bride. He looks smaller in person, though.
That was Fysyk.

What I notice a lot is that he makes the outlet pass to a forward who fumbles it, in a case of "how did this puck end up on my stick? that hardly ever happens, what do i do?"

Ralonzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Jumping the gun of course, but I think he sticks next season. He needs to get stronger as we all know, but he's up there with the best on the team in several categories, such as poise, outlet passes, and overall skating ability (not a speed demon but he has fantastic, smooth control). Very smart player who uses positioning to his advantage. Basically everything he was advertised to be.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:01 PM
drew5580

so if hes in our lineup next season as many of you are predicting, where does that leave McNabb?

drew5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew5580 View Post
so if hes in our lineup next season as many of you are predicting, where does that leave McNabb?
Well put it this way, neither guy is remotely close to a lock next season and there will likely be room for both guys to play a substantial part of the season if they deserve it. I mean right now if McNabb were healthy Pysyk-McNabb-Pardy are right there between being in the top 6, being the 7th d, and being the top call-up option. If we trade Regehr that just opens up another spot. We'll probably sign a vet player in the offseason, but there should be plenty of opportunity for these two if they're deserving.

There's not really anyone who looks poised to pass them on the chart next season, the other seasoned prospects are fringe players and JGL is a project.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:44 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew5580 View Post
McNabb will also have a shot at a roster spot. Right now we have under contract for next year: Myers, Sekera, and Ehrhoff. We have RFA Weber, and UFAs Regehr, Sulzer, and Pardy. I think Weber will be re-signed. I think we all expect Regehr to be dealt. The other 2 are nothing more than depth defensemen, so they shouldn't impact anyone's chance at a roster spot even if they're signed. Assuming that happens (Regehr gone, Weber kept), we have 2 roster spots to fill via either our prospect pool, trades or free agency.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 06:17 AM
hong57

so anything changes after the trade deadline? I do hope pysyk starts the season in buff next year

Old
10-30-2013, 01:20 PM
Jacob582

TBN
Quote:
He's third on the Sabres in ice time at 20:20 per game...More impressively, Pysyk is third among rookies behind Nashville's Seth Jones (24:42) and Winnipeg's Jacob Trouba (21:15). ... he has one assist and a plus-1 rating, one of only three Sabres with a positive number
Was thinking of Pysyk after this article. He will lead the rookies to the promise land.

He's been through it before with the Edmonton Oil Kings:
- his first 3 full seasons the team had a losing record with no playoff wins (worst being 2009-2010 with a record of 16-43-0-13).
- his fourth season he captained his team to a winning record of 50-15-0-7 and winning the WHL championship.

A lot of us have this theory that losing will ruin young players/prospects. But there are examples like the above where this just isn't the case. I think the Avalanche are another example with their early success this season after finishing so poorly some of the last few seasons.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:26 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Pysyk to me is kind of the forgotten rookie. All the buzz follows guys like Grigs, Girgs, Risto, Zads and Larsson. But he is going to be a horse.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:29 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTagonTough View Post
Pysyk to me is kind of the forgotten rookie. All the buzz follows guys like Grigs, Girgs, Risto, Zads and Larsson. But he is going to be a horse.
Yeah, I mentioned it in another thread: It's like we think of him as a vet on this team.

Old
10-30-2013, 01:32 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Pysyk is my own personal Jesus

Old
10-30-2013, 01:33 PM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
A lot of us have this theory that losing will ruin young players/prospects. But there are examples like the above where this just isn't the case. I think the Avalanche are another example with their early success this season after finishing so poorly some of the last few seasons.
Losing records will ruin players that don't have their head screwed on or are fragile mentally. So maybe Grigorenko out of this group but it wont do much to the other guys. I would actually say that Grigorenko being around so many other young guys while this is happening is a great thing for him. He can see his peers take it in stride and work hard even while losing. I'd be much more worried about these guys being around a bunch of vets who can't handle this (Vanek, Thomas).

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:35 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Losing records will ruin players that don't have their head screwed on or are fragile mentally. So maybe Grigorenko out of this group. It wont do much to the other guys.
I edited your comment:

Losing records will ruin players/coaches that don't have their head screwed on or are fragile mentally.

Old
11-01-2013, 09:52 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
So on for four goals against for the entire season so far...? For a rookie defenseman on a team who's forwards can't defend? That's remarkably good.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote