HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL Playoffs / Gagarin Cup 2013 Semifinals

Old
04-01-2013, 12:42 PM
russianhockey

vCash: 500
Kvapil / Petruzalek with some great performance

russianhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:51 PM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
yes, me happy! ska, get the "barbasol" out!!!!

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:52 PM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundAndFury View Post
4-1 and SKA are obviously done but hey, there's always next season.
Koshechkin is coming! a few more purchases, lol! I love to hate them?

Old
04-01-2013, 01:04 PM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
Koshechkin is coming! a few more purchases, lol! I love to hate them?
I think they are making the transfers just to keep themselves busy (like what sense did it make to bring Panarin instead of Klimenko?) so expect more than a few.

SoundAndFury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:18 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
I think they are making the transfers just to keep themselves busy (like what sense did it make to bring Panarin instead of Klimenko?) so expect more than a few.
You know that Panarin was traded for pick and Klimenko for D Osipov, right? Varnakov is replacement of Klimenko.

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:44 PM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
You know that Panarin was traded for pick and Klimenko for D Osipov, right? Varnakov is replacement of Klimenko.
I knew that perfectly well, I'm talking about the actual game here though where one right-handed left wing replaced another while Varnakov is left-hand shot and plays on the right wing. So how come he was the replacement of Klimenko? In this sense it doesn't matter how it was done and what pieces were moved around it was Panarin in, Klimenko out at the end.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:01 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

ok, I see now

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:42 PM
metmag

Quote:
I knew that perfectly well, I'm talking about the actual game here though where one right-handed left wing replaced another while Varnakov is left-hand shot and plays on the right wing. So how come he was the replacement of Klimenko? In this sense it doesn't matter how it was done and what pieces were moved around it was Panarin in, Klimenko out at the end.
Even with the game its still a good move. Especially for SKA. I would argue that one for one, Panarin is a better and bigger player overall. Panarin is also developing and is not at his peak yet. He has been improving steadily(hindered this year a little bit by the injury he suffered from minsk in the beginning of the season) every year.
Panarin comes up big in OT and shootouts, of which Vityaz had alot this year so he would be good for pressure situations such as the playoffs. Perhaps you remember the Final of the U20 where I would credit mostly him for Canadas loss and Russia's epic comeback. Panarin's contract is expiring with Vityaz and I doubt he will be staying there. Many capable teams such as Ak-Bars and SY would be putting in offers I imagine; and long term ones perhaps. SKA can afford Panarin and it wouldnt be a surprise that they wanted to have him play and get used to the atmosphere in order to entice him to sign a contract there afterwards.

After all, this move paid off. 14 games, 9 pts, +9 . Just 14minutes average. Very productive. The same cant be said about Klimenko, even if we account for the fact that he was playing with Atlant after all.

Hands down very smart move from SKA management, especially as Vorky said when you look at the trades. Osipov is a young big Dman that has also been extremely productive these playoffs. And the pick they gave up was nothing as they wont be icing any 18yr old draftees anytime soon.
to the management. This was not just to keep themselves busy by any means.

metmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:37 PM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by metmag View Post
I would argue that one for one, Panarin is a better and bigger player overall. Panarin is also developing and is not at his peak yet. He has been improving steadily(hindered this year a little bit by the injury he suffered from minsk in the beginning of the season) every year.
1. In my opinion Panarin is not a better player but yours is as good as mine. But bigger? He's a little bit taller (still small though), even lighter than Klimenko and plays a little man's game being completely ineffective and constantly pushed around near the boards and in front of the net. Overall word "bigger" is misleading as he's obviously much weaker physically than well-built and very well balanced Klimenko.

2. It's Gagarin Cup playoffs. There's no other team in the league which should be more concerned about winning now than SKA so for them it doesn't matter all that much if he will getter better, they just need to get it done.

Quote:
Panarin comes up big in OT and shootouts, of which Vityaz had alot this year so he would be good for pressure situations such as the playoffs. Perhaps you remember the Final of the U20 where I would credit mostly him for Canadas loss and Russia's epic comeback
And yet he had 4 games playoff experience and no points at the men level prior to coming to SKA while Klimenko is Gagarin Cup champion, scored 10 goals and 14 points in Magnitka's run at the cup in 10-11 and there are no shootouts in the playoffs.

Quote:
. Panarin's contract is expiring with Vityaz and I doubt he will be staying there. Many capable teams such as Ak-Bars and SY would be putting in offers I imagine; and long term ones perhaps. SKA can afford Panarin and it wouldnt be a surprise that they wanted to have him play and get used to the atmosphere in order to entice him to sign a contract there afterwards.
Well he returned to Vityaz last year so why not to this year? Time will tell but where were Ak Bars and SY last year? Furthermore, I can see an offer coming from SY as they are somewhat troubled but Ak Bars has no place for a player which is so useless outside of the top-6. it's well documented by Darzinsh' situation this year and Panarin himself in the last year's playoffs. And yeah, it really requires enticement to get the guy from Vityaz to move to St. Petesburg.

Quote:
After all, this move paid off. 14 games, 9 pts, +9 . Just 14minutes average. Very productive. The same cant be said about Klimenko, even if we account for the fact that he was playing with Atlant after all.
And where was all this production when it mattered and SKA was not scoring 7 goals per game?

Quote:
Hands down very smart move from SKA management, especially as Vorky said when you look at the trades. Osipov is a young big Dman that has also been extremely productive these playoffs. And the pick they gave up was nothing as they wont be icing any 18yr old draftees anytime soon.
to the management. This was not just to keep themselves busy by any means.
Osipov signing - yeah, it's good even if it's a bit strange to have Dallman, Chudinov and Osipov on the same team. But still can't see anything smart about Panarin's signing. They brought in one dimensional guy who only makes the impact on the score sheet and hadn't got any experience, tore up one hell of the 3rd line in Klimenko-Kucheryavenko-Makarov who were playing together for what feels like forever and all three were better players while doing so, didn't really addressed the need by acquiring one more small guy to the Top-6 which was sorely lacking size with editions of Varnakov and Ramsted and, at the end, all that matters was to get it done - the goal they didn't achieve.

The way I see it for whatever reason you think that Panarin is THAT good of a player when imho he's not. So I believe that's the of end this discussion.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:15 PM
metmag

You bring up many good points. But to sum up, I think Panarin is a better player than Klimenko in the said position. His lack of playoff experience right now is simply because he is a Vityaz player and the brief pointless stint in Kazan was clearly due to the management mentality of letting young players ride the pine instead of anything to do with his game, especially with players that aren't well known in their system. Had he a multi-year contract with a team like Traktor or even Atlant, you know as well as I that his playoff experience would be extensive.

Now Klimenko. He's only had 2 deep runs; the one as you mentioned with Magnitagorsk being his best, the other in Kazan's first Gagarin cup where he was almost invisible. All of his other runs(with SKA mind you) were noneffective at best. Definitely not the guaranteed playoff performer.

Although SKA's run is deemed an underachievement, it is comical to suggest that had they not made these trades that the Dynamo-SKA series would have ended up much differently. SKA's loss was more due to the fact that they were letting in at least 3 goals on average, while not having their top players contribute with points. Something Panarin did without being a defensive liability.

And you're right; getting panarin to SKA out of Vityaz is easy, but not as easy when there are other teams also interested. Especially when its almost guaranteed that hel be getting more ice time elsewhere. But where he ends up is just speculation so I guess we'll see.

Lastly it is completely relevant that they got Panarin for just a draft pick. I would trade Klimenko for Panarin right up-front, but when you have the chance to get him for a useless KHL draft puck its a steal! Especially when you use the player that was replaced as trade bait to secure a big productive defense man. Its basically Panarin and Osipov for Klimenko and a pick. Are you suggesting they should not have made those trades!?

metmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:18 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Lol every year SKA loads up on D and forwards but goes in with average goaltending. Maybe they will finally learn next year. To go deep in the playoffs you need a goaltender to steal you osome games. Barulin, Garnett and Yeremenko have all had one or two bad games, some soft goals, but they have all stolen games for their team. I can't say that Ezhov ever stole a game for SKA. I guess what I am trying to say is he wasn't terrible, he just wasn't good by playoff statndards.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:44 PM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
Are you suggesting they should not have made those trades!?
I think they should have addressed the needs with their moves which in is something they hadn't done in my opinion.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:34 AM
alexhockey

alexhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 04:18 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexhockey View Post

Thats perfect

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:03 AM
Night_Vole

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexhockey View Post

Lmao

Ak bars seems to be fading as the series goes on

Night_Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Night_Vole

Yes Morozov , there is still hope

Night_Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Vicente

Very weak game by Ak Bars today. IMO Traktor had everything under control until the 3-2 when they seemed to freak out once more just as in game #4!

I guess with the home advantage Kazan will win game #7 though just as against Ufa.

Vicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:29 AM
cska78

Go, Traktor!

Old
04-02-2013, 12:16 PM
russianhockey

game 7, thursday / 19:00 MSK

russianhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 01:35 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Kazan looks spent. If they win in 7 I think a fresher Dynamo feasts on them. Quite a journey Kazan has had, 2 seven game series, how many of those games went into OT, double OT.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 04:01 PM
MaxV

This is turning into a great series.

It would be a heck of a comeback by Traktor, from a 1-3 down.

MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:37 PM
od71

Dinamo doesn't have now a player as Anisin was for them last season. He perfectly fit the Dinamo system and became scoring leader in PO year ago. Had they had such a player the series would have been easier for them.
As for AkBars, the second consecutive 7-game series, 4 OT games in last 6. It's too emotionally and physically draining. After series vs Salavat I thought it would be tough for them to play against Traktor. The only question: how many gas there is still left in their tanks?

od71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:04 AM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by od71 View Post
Dinamo doesn't have now a player as Anisin was for them last season. He perfectly fit the Dinamo system and became scoring leader in PO year ago. Had they had such a player the series would have been easier for them.
As for AkBars, the second consecutive 7-game series, 4 OT games in last 6. It's too emotionally and physically draining. After series vs Salavat I thought it would be tough for them to play against Traktor. The only question: how many gas there is still left in their tanks?
Petruzhalek waves hello

Old
04-03-2013, 08:02 AM
SashaSemin28
Because Its The Caps

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to SashaSemin28
Really want Traktor to win game 7 then beat Dynamo.
It would be something good to see after watching that absolute joke of a Spartak team all season...

SashaSemin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:32 AM
od71

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
Petruzhalek waves hello
Petruzhalek ? He looks like diet version of Anisin 2012

od71 is offline   Reply With Quote