HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXIII: "This Space Available"

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
My understanding is Bettman/Daly haven't said really much of anything-I think there was a comment a while ago that could be construed/speculated that relocation MIGHT have to happen-but nothing definite.

I also understand it that Bettman doesn't even know of this Pastor offer, doesn't know who he is-so that's how seriously it seems the NHL is taking that particular offer.

I think right now we're all just waiting until end of reg season (if Yotes miss playoffs) to expect anything at all, don't expect much before then I don't think.
Here ya go... All email responses that I was able to scrounge up from the major pundits in the last week

Quote:
“No contingencies have been made. We are planning on the Coyotes being in Phoenix next year.” NY Times
http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...es-seems-near/

Quote:
"Current focus remains on selling the Coyotes to ownership in Glendale. We haven't spent much time on anything else." - Nick Cotsonika - Yahoo (Twitter - March 28th)
https://twitter.com/cotsonika

Quote:
"No good sense of timing at this point" AZ Republic - Paul Giblin
(See below for citation)

Per Paul Giblin (AZ Republic/USA Today) - A Bettman reference, no direct quote, and declination to comment by Daly.

Quote:
NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly declined to discuss any potential investors and would not discuss a timetable for a possible sale.

"No good sense of timing at this point," he said in an email to the Republic....

Bettman addressed the changing dynamics when he spoke to Weiers, the mayor said. "He just said, 'I want to let you know that we haven't forgotten about you. We understand that you guys went out for RFP and we're still in this thing and we should have something within a week or so,'" Weiers said using an acronym for requests for proposals.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...stors/2035113/

Regarding Pastor's offer

Quote:
NHL sources told ESPN.com Friday that they were not familiar with Pastor or his interest in the team outside of being made aware of the press release sent out on behalf of Pastor earlier in the day.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...n-buying-yotes

Old
04-01-2013, 12:53 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
IIRC, Daly I think said something last week about there being some kind of announcement before the playoffs start.
Sorry, it was Dreger, not Daly...

According to Dreger, the NHL may be running out of patience in Phoenix. After years of doing their best to keep the team in Glendale, the league could make a decision on relocating the franchise in advance of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
Here ya go... All email responses that I was able to scrounge up from the major pundits in the last week

(See below for citation)

Per Paul Giblin (AZ Republic/USA Today) - A Bettman reference, no direct quote, and declination to comment by Daly.

Regarding Pastor's offer

Thanks for the info, clears things up

Old
04-01-2013, 12:57 PM
mesamonster

Tarheel, that is what i am talking about! Why do I sense GB will not give the fans and the players a proper forum to say goodbye, give all of them some closure and healing for years of sweat and tears! To a man, the players have been awed by the fan appreciation and zealousness that the true coyote fans have brought to the rink each and every night! To the players, who have had to weather the constant barrage of uncertainty created by GB!! Yeah the Commissioner who robbed the COG and its taxpayers of $50MM, when he knew all along that the team likely would never find a legitimate owner. Sure, he thought the fans, players and management would bow at his alter. This guy screwed it up for all, and now as the last few weeks approach he is going to sit silent in NYC working on his next deception of how to leave without a formal goodbye! Thanks TarHeel, the Whalers and their fans were able to do it the right way, what are the odds GB gets that message? My guess is zero!!!!!

Old
04-01-2013, 01:08 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Its' hard to say, how the NHL would handle the teams departure from a PR standpoint & perspective in relation to specifically the fan base & community.
The last regular season home game is Fri Apr. 26. So the question is... IF the NHL knows before that date they are relocating the team, will they have the decency to tell the faithful and let them send the team off properly?

Any guess is as good as mine.

The right thing and the proper thing to do would be to make an announcement as soon as you know, but this is the NHL, and Bettman isn't going to say anything until the last possible second... which could be well after the Coyotes are done for the season.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:30 PM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
The right thing and the proper thing to do would be to make an announcement as soon as you know, but this is the NHL, and Bettman isn't going to say anything until the last possible second... which could be well after the Coyotes are done for the season.
im still sticking to my cozy little campsite in conspiracy woods where its figured that bettman knew last year the team was on its way to quebec city but that the uncertainty of the lockout prompted PKP to tell gary "thanks man, but I think I'll take the risk that you find a buyer there and just wait another year before I send my trucks down".

in other words, had bettman announced when he knew, they would not have sold a single ticket this lame duck (half) season.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:34 PM
Whileee

Quote:

Ya, to go all-in yet again like that with another $25M commitment? Not a chance. Beacons' RFP sheets should be hitting the streets at some point this month, and as government of all shapes & sizes can & often do move at snails paces, could then take 45++ days before anythings returned from the private sector with respect to proposal absent the Coyotes. On a parallel track with these supposed 3 suitors, I read that both Pastor & Gosbee were expected to submit offers to the NHL this week so perhaps conceptually they have been working with Beacon, maybe a 15, 7 or even 5 year outline being put forth, if these guys are even "real", so who knows?... that Peladeau stepped back from Quebecor combined with the cryptic tweet posted up-page from someone in Quebec apparently in the know that booking agencies & promoters have received notices that the Colisee' wont be available from basically October through December 31st, well, Im thinkin the writing certainly appears to be on the wall.
As another potential source of minor drama it will be interesting if we see LeBlanc and his Lakehead Yale group (or whatever they are calling their group now) bids on arena management sans the Coyotes.

I also think that Peladeau has been quietly busy putting things together in case things don't work out in Glendale.

As for the notion that the NHL would let Coyotes fans know the fate of the franchise before the playoffs, I wouldn't hold my breath. For one thing, I doubt that they would be assured of a positive outcome in time even if they have a bona fide ownership hopeful on the line. There's just now way that they could finalize a lease, etc. within a fortnight (). Instead, I think that the timing is meant to put the maximum pressure on the COG. Present an "owner" (based on some vague letter of agreement, as they had with IEH a few years ago) and a deadline, and then let them basically give the COG a "take it of leave it offer" on the lease. The COG and Coyotes fans go through spasms of heated discourse, and if the COG doesn't pay up, "sayonara". Macchiavelli would offer a slow clap in admiration for the NHL's sly leader.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:43 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
... as of today the Coyotes have either 12 or 13 games left to play, more or less neck & neck with Dallas for the last Playoff Spot however, it being hockey, anything can happen. They could easily get in & cause some damage, go deep if they get it together & the Stars continue to struggle. So if they do make it into the post season does the NHL announce the teams departure after their elimination or while its happening? That would be a huge negative taking away from the Stanley Cup, and it might also be one if the Coyotes miss the Playoff's, an announcement made either just before the last game or perhaps during the lull between the last game & the Playoffs. Because of all the Muddy Watters here, I dont think the NHL wants to notify anyone in advance. Just get out of town as quickly and as quietly as possible in order to minimize bad press, reporters etc who with lead time knowing the teams a goner will perform full cavity autopsies on the league, lack of performance, lies & failures in Arizona. The leagues strategy likely being that the good news of wherever getting a team drowning out the criticism they deserve & earned in spades in Glendale. Not unlike the Atlanta situation really. The damage localized to a large extent with quick amputation, relocation.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:06 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
im still sticking to my cozy little campsite in conspiracy woods where its figured that bettman knew last year.... had bettman announced when he knew, they would not have sold a single ticket this lame duck season.
Yes I agree, that theory is beyond plausible and recall GS discussed at this time last year. Bettman notifying the PA of the leagues intentions to invoke lockout. A long con. Jamison either a front or just a stooge. I think the latter. Encouraged, played by Bettman & Daly, buying themselves the time they needed to deal with the CBA. PKP simply postponing purchase/acquisition until post lockout. Why tie up all that capital for a year? Hardly a welcoming return to QC. People will argue "no no no, he would have bought the team & moved them pending lockout or not, wouldnt dream of possibly letting that opportunity pass him by". To those I say; really? Betcha folding money he would, especially if he knew he had total inside tracking, promises made, a nod as good as a wink type dealeo which he most likely did/does have.... so yep, plausible theory.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Matrix78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post

(See below for citation)

Regarding Pastor's offer

now you can add this one (from today) :

https://twitter.com/PatrickCaisse

Patrick Caisse @PatrickCaisse
Bill Daly told me "not a question i'm prepared to answer" when I asked if a relocation was possible this year. #Coyotes #NHL

Old
04-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix78 View Post
now you can add this one (from today) :

https://twitter.com/PatrickCaisse

Patrick Caisse @PatrickCaisse
Bill Daly told me "not a question i'm prepared to answer" when I asked if a relocation was possible this year. #Coyotes #NHL
What a surprise! Why would anyone ask him?

The NHL will not say anything about the Coyotes or possible relocation except on their own timetable. Any and all other inquiries will result in vague or dismissive replies.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:25 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

http://www.boarding-school-hockey.co...new-owner.html

I love April Fools!

''In a stunning move the NHL announced today that film mogul Alan Smithee has purchased the Phoenix Coyotes for an estimated 170 Million.

Gary Bettman made the announcement that Smithee had come forward late last week and made an offer on the team which the NHL has owned since bankruptcy in 2009

The City of Glendale has to aprove a new lease but that is thought to be a formality. Smithee will get 16 million a season from the city to manage the arena, all parking and concessions plus the first born of every Glendale resident that he will then sacrifice to Cthulhu.

Smithee plans to have different players each game read from the Necronomicon with hopes of summoning the Dark Lord.

Coyotes Captain Shane Doan was optimistic about the idea of a new owner for the team even though it will usher in a thousand years of darkness for mankind.

"What's important is that the team stays in Arizona. Sure we will have higher taxes, no social services and will be under dominion of a mythical being who will drive us all to madness but I think thats a small price to pay to keep hockey in the desert."

Smithee also got an escape clause in the case that the team isn't profitable.

"We need this club to make money at some point. Even with all the power of the Dark One we cannot lose upwards of 30 million a season" said Smithee. "After 5 years if we don't start making back some of our investment we will look at re-locating the team to The Nameless City."

When asked about the escape clause NHL Commisoner Gary Bettman had this to say.

"While it is our hope we can keep the team in Glendale at some point we may have to move them to the Nameless City. Sure its in another dimension and has no hockey fans but its still better than Atlanta." ''

Old
04-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Llama19

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Yes I agree, that theory is beyond plausible and recall GS discussed at this time last year. Bettman notifying the PA of the leagues intentions to invoke lockout. A long con. Jamison either a front or just a stooge. I think the latter. Encouraged, played by Bettman & Daly, buying themselves the time they needed to deal with the CBA. PKP simply postponing purchase/acquisition until post lockout. Why tie up all that capital for a year? Hardly a welcoming return to QC. People will argue "no no no, he would have bought the team & moved them pending lockout or not, wouldnt dream of possibly letting that opportunity pass him by". To those I say; really? Betcha folding money he would, especially if he knew he had total inside tracking, promises made, a nod as good as a wink type dealeo which he most likely did/does have.... so yep, plausible theory.
Eh, Squire? Say no more, say no more...

Be seeing you!

Old
04-01-2013, 04:52 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
Be seeing you!
Indeed, and good job rounding up those bad actors with the Anti-Escape Pod, best be
sending that trio back to Jersey. Collect. In a box. Obviously on the wrong set. Morons.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW3LikcBL68

Old
04-01-2013, 05:55 PM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
What a surprise! Why would anyone ask him?

The NHL will not say anything about the Coyotes or possible relocation except on their own timetable. Any and all other inquiries will result in vague or dismissive replies.
OK but, this is a fun answer from Daley (thats the way Joyce spells it ;-)

Old
04-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QcBlizzard View Post
OK but, this is a fun answer from Daley...
We want information..... i n f o r m a t i o n.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:57 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
We want information..... i n f o r m a t i o n.
Who in number 1?!

Old
04-01-2013, 07:06 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Who in number 1?!
You are, Number Six.

Old
04-01-2013, 07:07 PM
GF

I am not a number...

Old
04-01-2013, 07:09 PM
aqib

Quote:
... as of today the Coyotes have either 12 or 13 games left to play, more or less neck & neck with Dallas for the last Playoff Spot however, it being hockey, anything can happen. They could easily get in & cause some damage, go deep if they get it together & the Stars continue to struggle. So if they do make it into the post season does the NHL announce the teams departure after their elimination or while its happening? That would be a huge negative taking away from the Stanley Cup, and it might also be one if the Coyotes miss the Playoff's, an announcement made either just before the last game or perhaps during the lull between the last game & the Playoffs. Because of all the Muddy Watters here, I dont think the NHL wants to notify anyone in advance. Just get out of town as quickly and as quietly as possible in order to minimize bad press, reporters etc who with lead time knowing the teams a goner will perform full cavity autopsies on the league, lack of performance, lies & failures in Arizona. The leagues strategy likely being that the good news of wherever getting a team drowning out the criticism they deserve & earned in spades in Glendale. Not unlike the Atlanta situation really. The damage localized to a large extent with quick amputation, relocation.
While they are only 3 points out they are in a tailspin. So if they blow this homestand its hard to imagine they will get back into the mix. Thats why I said, its possible after this week we may hear something.

As far as the bad press, it won't matter. We've seen lots of teams move over the past 30 years in the 4 major team sports. Only the Expos in Montreal and the Thrashers were driven by attendance issues and not venue issues. At the end all the leagues continued to grow and the anger of the moves faded outside of the markets that lost teams. The only real impact of abandoning Glendale is that cities will either be more resistant to paying for venues, but at this point only Detroit is negotiating for one and Calgary is the only other one needing an upgrade in the next 5-10 years, or they will make the NHL co-sign a lease like Edmonton did for the Oilers.

Old
04-01-2013, 07:11 PM
AllByDesign
Thomas who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L View Post
Human geography is one of the two major sub-fields of the discipline of geography. Human geography is a branch of the social sciences that studies the world, its people, communities and cultures with an emphasis on relations of and across space and place. Human geography differs from physical geography mainly in that it has a greater focus on studying human activities and is more receptive to qualitative research methodologies. As a discipline, human geography is particularly diverse with respect to its methods and theoretical approaches to study.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_geography
Interesting. So the word "west" that this all started with has what to do with with the sociological side of Geography?

Old
04-01-2013, 07:22 PM
AllByDesign
Thomas who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
just so I dont have to wade thru past posts ... did bettman say there would be an official announcement before the end of the season?

the closer this comes to what is quite likely the very end, the more i also feel really bad for yotes fans.

not even being able to say goodbye would be mean spirited.
There will be an announcement. In all likelihood it will be at the very last possible moment as to not disrupt any ticket sales.

I am sure all the decisions and destinations have been solidified. Myths will become rumours, rumours will become leads, and leads will become headlines.

If you are a Coyotes fan, I hardly think you wouldn't be treating the last few games as a farewell tour.

Last edited by Major4Boarding: 04-02-2013 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Ouch... not necessary ABD
Old
04-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Who is number 1?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
You are, Number Six.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF View Post
I am not a number...
I am a free man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Thats why I said, its possible after this week we may hear something.
Sooo... 10 days, 2 weeks....

I suppose in another Fortnight we shall be told he has been seen at San Francisco. Its an odd thing. Everyone who seems to disappear is said to then be seen at San Francisco. It must be a delightful city, and possess all the attractions of the next world.

Oscar Wilde
The Picture of Dorian Gray

Old
04-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
I am a free man.

Sooo... 10 days, 2 weeks....

I suppose in another Fortnight we shall be told he has been seen at San Francisco. Its an odd thing. Everyone who seems to disappear is said to then be seen at San Francisco. It must be a delightful city, and possess all the attractions of the next world.

Oscar Wilde
The Picture of Dorian Gray
Name suggestion for next thread "The picture of Coyote Gray"

Old
04-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Llama19

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Indeed, and good job rounding up those bad actors with the Anti-Escape Pod, best be
sending that trio back to Jersey. Collect. In a box. Obviously on the wrong set. Morons.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW3LikcBL68
Yes, 'Rover' is waiting to collect the next 'potential' owner.

Here is Rover in action... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Ffr1U7KMY

Be seeing you!

P.S. If you want to see and hear it all, try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY9oWfkKt6A

Closed Thread