HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate sharpening - Noob question

Old
02-20-2013, 01:49 PM
mistrhanky

vCash: 500
Skate sharpening - Noob question

ok... this is probably going to be a really dumb question... but does having two different hollows on your skates make any difference in the break in time? Every time I get sharpened up(I just use a pretty standard 7/16 right now) my right skate feels great and my left is a disaster. Sticks so bad I can hardly make a turn without killing myself, much less a stop. It takes me 1-2 hours of rink time to get comfortable on the thing again. Is it possible to get them sharpened to different specs so that the break in time on that left skate would not be so brutal?

mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:04 PM
AIREAYE

Don't do that. There could be a multitude of reasons why it feels off. It could mean that the edges are not level, the steel or holder is misshapen or just a plain bad sharpening. Request a resharpen and ask if they could show you the level.

Don't get a specific cut in anticipation of 'break in', get the right cut the first time. Once you rule out the above possibilities, perhaps try a shallower hollow.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:51 PM
mistrhanky

Well, this pretty much happens every time I get a sharpening and I have had it done at different places, so I don't think it is a matter of sharpening. The side I have the problem on (left skate) is definitely my weaker leg. You might be on to something with the level or holder though. This is a size 14 skate(not a typo) so with that much blade, it would not surprise me if some things were out of true.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:07 PM
AIREAYE

Check holder/steel alignment then, don't need to be precise. Explain your problem to the sharpener and see what they say.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:49 PM
neksys

Are you still very much a beginner? Sometimes that's just a function of leg/ankle weakness, or balance issues. I know I experienced exactly the same thing to the point that I thought my blade was warped - it wasn't, I just wasn't very strong.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:52 PM
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee

7/16"? That's a pretty aggressive cut, try a 5'8". Makes a huge difference.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:44 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondeROY View Post
7/16"? That's a pretty aggressive cut, try a 5'8". Makes a huge difference.
ya 7/16th is quite agressive... I use a half inch typically, but if I don't skate much indoors I'll use a 5/8's to preserve the hollow

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:41 PM
mistrhanky

Ok. It definitely sounds like am getting a cut that is probably more aggressive than what I am ready for. Sounds like it might be better to back it off to 5/8 or 9/16's and work my way back up until I find what I am comfortable with. Apparently they must be mistaking me for Gretzky.

Thanks for all the good info.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:45 PM
beth

You can check the level somewhat by laying a straightedge perpendicularly across the blade and see if it's tilted at all.

I had a problem with uneven edges when I first started out, without knowing that was the problem. I went to a couple of places for sharpenings and it still never seemed right. Finally I got my skates in good hands and they fixed them. If you have uneven edges, a lazy sharpener won't even notice them and you'll continue to have issues. Once they are correct, it is heavenly.

I also agree that you should go 5/8". 7/16" is very hard to learn to stop on.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:41 PM
AIREAYE

I wouldn't say 7/16ths is an 'aggressive cut', uncommon for newer skaters who pretty much all end up in whatever house cut is available, often 1/2" or 5/8". They're not mistaking you for anyone else, don't worry haha.

Your plan going forward is sound. Try the different cuts; I would advise a 1/2" before making the jump to a comparatively shallow 5/8".

With that being said, be wary of requesting cuts in 1/16" increments. There will be plenty of sharpeners out there who will revert you back (unknowingly to you) to 1/2" or 5/8" because chances are, you won't notice a difference.

Old
02-21-2013, 09:01 AM
roffleburger

I personally feel that newer or newish players should start on shallower hollows and work their way up to a hollow that's just right for them. Try 3/4" and see how it feels

roffleburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:12 AM
AIREAYE

Coming from 7/16ths? That's a HUGE jump...

Old
02-21-2013, 11:15 AM
TieClark

Yeah I definitely wouldn't go to 3/4... I'd say 1/2" and then if you still notice a problem 5/8"... those are by far the 2 most common cuts for players. I also disagree with "start at a lower radius if you're a beginner". Once you're a good skater you can skate on any cut really... you may like others better but you can still skate. With that in mind, skate with whatever feels best to you and learn at your own pace.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:44 PM
mistrhanky

Well, I have some definite opinions on this. I have been getting mine cut at 7/16 since I started skating(about a year)... so it is the only thing I have ever known. That was pretty much the default hockey cut at my local house. It has always taken me 2 hours or so to get them broken in to a point where they feel good. Usually, I can barely even turn or stop from my left side on fresh cuts.

Since we have time off from my league for spring break(3 weeks feels like an eternity) I decided to try some suggestions on here and get my skates cut at 5/8. A huge change, no doubt. WOW. What a difference. I stepped on the ice and immediately was full go, no break in needed at all. They also just plain felt better to me. They felt faster and my transitions are about 1000% easier. I always seemed to get part of an edge caught in the ice when trying to make quick transitions and so I have always made pretty hesitant transitions. This cut is so much more free, it feels like new skates. There are times when I miss that added bite a deeper hollow gives, but overall it just feels so much better. I should point out that I am a big guy(235lb, 6'4) with size 14 skates. Sinking deeper into the ice was clearly not an advantage for me. Even if I have to sharpen up sooner, this is well worth it.

my $.02

Old
03-29-2013, 03:27 PM
newfr4u

damn, 6'4" 235, you can easily go 3/4. you need a shallower hollow in the summertime too because the ice is usually softer.

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 05:52 PM
Fanned On It

I've tried 5/8ths and it literally feels like my skates slide on the ice without even putting minimal effort... I don't like it lol. I used to go with 3/8ths when I first started skating but now I'm settled in at 1/2". I feel like 1/2" is the perfect amount of bite vs. glide for me. BTW, I work in a Proshop and sharpen my own skates so my sharpenings are pretty much always perfect (unless I'm rushing to get out there). I don't understand how some kids/guys use 3/4" or even 1".

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:43 PM
mistrhanky

Yeah, there is definitely a lot more slide. I think my weight negates a bit of that. Hollow is certainly something that you have to tune to your needs it seems. I was just stunned at how much better 5/8's felt for me. Really 9/16 would probably be my sweet spot, but I don't think anyone really cuts that. I definitely would not want to go any shallower than that though.

Old
03-30-2013, 07:05 AM
bojaffa

I recently tried out a 5/8's cut too..Was using1/2 before that and had that feeling of being a little too sharp until I used them for quite awhile.5/8's feels great from the start.I'm 6' tall about 210.Glad I made the switch.This thread was very informative..Thanks to all.

bojaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:16 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrhanky View Post
Yeah, there is definitely a lot more slide. I think my weight negates a bit of that. Hollow is certainly something that you have to tune to your needs it seems. I was just stunned at how much better 5/8's felt for me. Really 9/16 would probably be my sweet spot, but I don't think anyone really cuts that. I definitely would not want to go any shallower than that though.
9/16ths is the same as doing any other cut... it's just a matter of the sharpener dressing the stone before he does your pair. I'm pretty sure most sharpeners will do whatever you ask of them (however annoying it might be to dress the stone 3 times in a row lol). Like let's say you wanted your normal 5/8ths cut at a place that doesn't keep that as their standard, they'd have to dress the stone regardless so you might as well ask for 9/16ths.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 08:12 PM
DJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Don't do that. There could be a multitude of reasons why it feels off. It could mean that the edges are not level, the steel or holder is misshapen or just a plain bad sharpening. Request a resharpen and ask if they could show you the level.

Don't get a specific cut in anticipation of 'break in', get the right cut the first time. Once you rule out the above possibilities, perhaps try a shallower hollow.
Second this. After 2 years with my 735s the wobble in my right foot was eliminated when a shot cracked the holder. The new holder was well aligned and the wobble was almost eliminated.

with my G35 I started with Sidas footbeds from my 735. I had a sore right ankle and when i went back to stock footbeds not only did I eliminate the problem but found an increase in stability.

Experiment. Experience gained will invaluable.

DJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 04:11 AM
jazzykat

To the best of your ability make sure a 4 of your edges are equally sharp.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:16 PM
mistrhanky

I did find that I have to sharpen my edges up much sooner at 5/8. The "goody" seems to where off a lot quicker and I end up sliding to much. Almost similar to what some say about the FBV -- when it goes it is gone in a hurry. Do those sharpening tools some people use make a difference with something like that? What is the consensus? Do those things really work?

Old
04-01-2013, 04:51 PM
bwhinnen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrhanky View Post
I did find that I have to sharpen my edges up much sooner at 5/8. The "goody" seems to where off a lot quicker and I end up sliding to much. Almost similar to what some say about the FBV -- when it goes it is gone in a hurry. Do those sharpening tools some people use make a difference with something like that? What is the consensus? Do those things really work?
How soon is "much sooner". I have found that going from 1/2" to 5/8" I can actually leave them a little longer. Mind you our ice is probably a little softer than yours overall and I think I put a fair bit of weight into my edges when I use them so I probably tend to dig in a bit as I make a concerted effort to push with the inside leg on a crossover.

I've never used a hand sharpening tool, but my impression of them (and I could be wrong) is that they are really to clean up burrs from nicks and such than re-edging.

bwhinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 10:04 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhinnen View Post
How soon is "much sooner". I have found that going from 1/2" to 5/8" I can actually leave them a little longer. Mind you our ice is probably a little softer than yours overall and I think I put a fair bit of weight into my edges when I use them so I probably tend to dig in a bit as I make a concerted effort to push with the inside leg on a crossover.

I've never used a hand sharpening tool, but my impression of them (and I could be wrong) is that they are really to clean up burrs from nicks and such than re-edging.
Correct, they are not supposed to be a substitute to an actual sharpening. There is nothing out there for that.

The Magic/Sweet stick sort of 'curls in' the edges so they seem fresher.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:44 PM
Crosbyfan

You can use a stone to deburr. Just make sure you only take the raised steel. You can do nothing about any missing steel. It requires a complete sharpening.

You can put a fresh edge on a skate with a stone, but it is much easier with a sweet stick or magic stick

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote