HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flyers interested in Jagr and Bouwmeester

Old
04-01-2013, 12:13 PM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
There's literally 12-13 games left. Would it pain Philly to just sell off some players and tank (they're sitting at 6th) and position themselves to possibly get Jones?
If some crack-dealin' thug from Baltimore (what, you're not really Marlo?) or I can see this, why can't Flyers management???

Why Homer, why?

CanuckistanFlyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Chris Butler
Feels bad man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
1st rounder and Laughton plus some roster player as a dump to make Bouwmeester fits?
I'd do that. But alternatively, if the rumors are true and Clowe can land Couturier, what about Bouw (we take some salary) for Couturier straight up? Also, is it pronounced lawton or lafton?

Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:15 PM
herashak

vCash: 157
bouw for couts. flyers keep there first to draft another top 4 dman and in 3 year have a solid d core right when schenn and giroux are both at their peak

herashak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:16 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerstcheese View Post
I'd do that. But alternatively, if the rumors are true and Clowe can land Couturier, what about Bouw (we take some salary) for Couturier straight up? Also, is it pronounced lawton or lafton?
Lawton.

I think the deal you proposed for Bouw is quite fair value wise. I'm not a fan of Bouw, I'd hate that trade personally, but the value is certainly there.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:16 PM
ALI

Bouwmeester for Cout we will take 2mil of Bouwmeester contract if you guys have cap problems?

or

Bouwmeester for Coburn and Read?

ALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:19 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Yup, that's why the flyers have the 2nd most finals apperances since their inception. Because they have no patience. You clearly have gm material and are a hockey sage.
In all fairness, when did the vast majority of those finals appearances come? Isn't it possible the game has changed since the inception of a salary cap, since all of the rule changes were instituted, etc?

Reaching into the 70s and 80s for evidence that Snider's and Homgren's philosophy on team-building works proves just how bad it is. Or at the very least, it makes you look desperate. The Flyers' history of cup apperances in the 70s and 80s says nothing about the qualifications of the people running the team today.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:34 PM
mailman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
We put all of our money in Parise/Suter and Jagr didn't want to wait and see how it played out.

Can't blame him for not waiting, but Philly definitely wanted him back.
Long time Flyers Fan wait homer just had another d/man with out killing us up fron! No First rounder either or your gone

mailman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:45 PM
BrookswasHere44

So they want to trade a piece/pieces for Jagr when they could have just re-signed him? Cool

BrookswasHere44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie;62918983d

1st rounder and Laughton plus some roster player as a dump to make Bouwmeester fits?
no.

Bouwmeester will not return a top-5 pick.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Puckgenius*

Bouwmester for Couterier,
Make it happen Feast man

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:55 PM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
In all fairness, when did the vast majority of those finals appearances come? Isn't it possible the game has changed since the inception of a salary cap, since all of the rule changes were instituted, etc?

Reaching into the 70s and 80s for evidence that Snider's and Homgren's philosophy on team-building works proves just how bad it is. Or at the very least, it makes you look desperate. The Flyers' history of cup apperances in the 70s and 80s says nothing about the qualifications of the people running the team today.
It's been two years since they were in the finals. Less than.

CanuckistanFlyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckistanFlyerfan View Post
It's been two years since they were in the finals. Less than.
And in less than one year after that Finals appearance, they traded Carter and Richards.

Doesn't that kinda illustrate a lack of patience?

And of course, they've only had two Finals appearances in the last 26 years, which was kinda the point of the poster you quoted, I would imagine.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Curufinwe

In the seven years since the start of the Salary Cap, the Flyers made the playoffs six times, and their playoff series record is 8-6.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Flyer View Post
And in less than one year after that Finals appearance, they traded Carter and Richards.

Doesn't that kinda illustrate a lack of patience?
They moved them for futures... If anything, the trades demonstrated a willingness to take a longer view.

Those two trades obviously ,ADR the flyers a better team. I can't really think anyone would believe otherwise.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 04-01-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old
04-01-2013, 01:21 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Flyers can't keep making trades like this. They have to bring players up in the system and let them grow into stars. Can't just keep trading for names. It's not good.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:26 PM
buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Flyers can't keep making trades like this. They have to bring players up in the system and let them grow into stars. Can't just keep trading for names. It's not good.
Penguins just did that with Morrow and Iginla IMO ! That's why they will choke big time in the playoff

buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:27 PM
Quack

Two points back isn't much to make up. The Flyers have a lot of invested into this season so I cant blame them for wanting to make a run at the cup, they have a really talented roster with playoff experience.

Quack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
They moved them for futures... If anything, the taxes demonstrated a willingness to take a longer view.
Fair point.

Of course, it's not a stretch to say that they had all the main ingredients to win a Cup, and patience with the current core at that time may have proven to be fruitful.

I'm not looking to get into a squabble on here over what the Flyers deem to be the correct moves. They're gonna do what they are gonna do, regardless of what we all think. But I've been on this earth for a long time, and I've seen this movie before.

I respect your opinion and we can agree to disagree. I think they overreacted to losing to the Bruins in the playoffs, and decided to remake their team. Ironically, Boston didn't overreact after losing a 3-0 lead against the Flyers, and came back the very next year and won a Cup.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:30 PM
GTopCheese

Unless if we can trade Briere (can't right now due to a concussion) we're not trading for anyone; especially anything involving Coots or Read. That's just asking for cap issues.

GTopCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:31 PM
WinterEmpire
Praise Dalpe

Gotta admit, right move or wrong move, the Flyers always make things interesting

WinterEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:41 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Those two trades obviously ,ADR the flyers a better team. I can't really think anyone would believe otherwise.
The Flyers clearly aren't a better team right now. The record shows as much.

One can argue that the returns were great and that they won the trades on value, but winning trades does not necessarily make a better team.

I like the returns they got. I believe they can be a better team in the future if they show a little patience. But again, that's kinda been my whole point here, ya know?

Old
04-01-2013, 01:43 PM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

Quote:
Originally Posted by buff View Post
Penguins just did that with Morrow and Iginla IMO ! That's why they will choke big time in the playoff
We also have good players in the system and coming through. How many players do the Flyers have on their roster this year and in the past say, 3 years that have shown promise and could become solid players for them? What does their pool look like as well?

How can Philadelphia do a deal though as they're right up at the cap ceiling aren't they? I imagine they'd move Talbot to IR - Briere (IR?)?

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:47 PM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Couldn't they have had Jokinen for nothing when Carolina waived him?
Doesn't always work that way . For 1 if a team already has 50 contracts on the books , 2 if a team is up against the cap they may need to sent back salary .

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Schenn Bros Pizza*
All-Star

He better not trade for them unless its cheap.

Schenn Bros Pizza* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Flyer View Post
The Flyers clearly aren't a better team right now. The record shows as much.

One can argue that the returns were great and that they won the trades on value, but winning trades does not necessarily make a better team.

I like the returns they got. I believe they can be a better team in the future if they show a little patience. But again, that's kinda been my whole point here, ya know?
They aren't a better team because of other changes and injuries, sure but Schenn, Voracek, couturier, Simmonds, Grossmann, and Cousins > Richards and Carter