HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jagr: Should we trade or should we sign him. If we trade it will be trouble...

Old
04-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
The allure would be on the idea he might not re-sign or retires. Bourque is signed 3M long term with a ~25 goal/80 games pace 4/5 past seasons. Obviously comes with his flaws though. Depends what the Stars want long term, they did trade Ryder for Cole.
Can a team trade a player on the IR? If so, why would the Stars accept a player with an unknown concussion prognosis (considering Bourque's recent symptom relapse)?

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:22 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Lupul-Kadri-Jagr

good luck

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:24 PM
jameswrjobe53

L.A. Lariviere ‏@L_A_theRiver 7m
From Jagr's agent:"Jaromir likes Dallas, he likes the team. We'll have to see if the interest is mutual". No talks scheduled w/Stars for now
Retweeted by Spector's Hockey

jameswrjobe53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:31 PM
jameswrjobe53

LeBrun:
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...still-in-limbo

On the Jaromir Jagr front, it was still unclear as of Monday afternoon what will transpire. The Dallas Stars approached the Jagr camp three weeks ago about a contract extension, and the two sides have gone back and forth since. But still no contract extension.

Why? I'm hearing the Stars' front office is debating whether the team should sign or trade Jagr. And that decision had not been made as of Monday afternoon.

Other teams are absolutely calling with interest on Jagr. No surprise there, as he'd be a perfect rental. Hello, Boston Bruins?

But the Stars, who already dealt pending UFA Brenden Morrow, have to figure out if they should cash in on pending UFA Jagr or keep him around for another season. After all, the Stars were only two points out of a playoff spot Monday morning.

Sign him or trade him? To be determined.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick16 View Post
I was on hockeydb looking at Jagr's career stats and I saw that during the 94-95 lockout he played one game in the first germany league, finished the game with 11 points, and ended up being the 13th best scorer on the team that year. Pretty funny lolll
Actually, that was the third tier, not the first

I think Jagr will remain with Dallas for now and decide in the offseason whether he will stay one more year or not, just like last summer.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Can a team trade a player on the IR? If so, why would the Stars accept a player with an unknown concussion prognosis (considering Bourque's recent symptom relapse)?
He can be traded while on the IR. About his concussion though, stop trying to ruin my fantasy of having Jagr on the Habs.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:42 PM
BeaverSports

I'm almost thinking the Stars are going to try to throw their casual fans a bone by keeping Jaromir Jagr around. They've marketed the hell out of him, almost to the point where they haven't marketed the team around him and the casual fans have seen a lot of their favourites - Modano, Turco, Ott, Ribeiro, Morrow, etc. moved during the Nieuwendyk era.

They cash in by doing that, and although many of us can see how dealing Jagr can restock the cupboard, he has been a good mentor for the youth and at his age is still leading the team in goal scoring.

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:50 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
To Habs for Rene Bourque. That way Stars still have a top 9 asset for this season.
Book it, buddy!

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:54 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswrjobe53 View Post
LeBrun:
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...still-in-limbo

On the Jaromir Jagr front, it was still unclear as of Monday afternoon what will transpire. The Dallas Stars approached the Jagr camp three weeks ago about a contract extension, and the two sides have gone back and forth since. But still no contract extension.

Why? I'm hearing the Stars' front office is debating whether the team should sign or trade Jagr. And that decision had not been made as of Monday afternoon.

Other teams are absolutely calling with interest on Jagr. No surprise there, as he'd be a perfect rental. Hello, Boston Bruins?

But the Stars, who already dealt pending UFA Brenden Morrow, have to figure out if they should cash in on pending UFA Jagr or keep him around for another season. After all, the Stars were only two points out of a playoff spot Monday morning.

Sign him or trade him? To be determined.
Dallas seems like a bipolar team from transaction to transaction.

They bring in veterans, but get rid of veterans. Spend money to bring in two 40 year old wingers, but have a youth movement. Trade one older guy with an expiring contract for an even older guy, who is less productive, with a couple more years on a contract. In the playoff race, but trade their captain.

Since they're all over the map, nothing Dallas does at the deadline would surprise me.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Jaromir Jagrbombs

I'd imagine almost every team that believed they are in contention would be interested in Jagr. I think there will be a bidding war to acquire him if the Stars were planning on moving him and it would definitely be worth it for them.

Jaromir Jagrbombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:58 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Come on Boston you don't have room for Spooner let's do Jagr for Spooner and tell me what I have to add to get Khokhlachev too.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 03:13 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
Dallas seems like a bipolar team from transaction to transaction.

They bring in veterans, but get rid of veterans. Spend money to bring in two 40 year old wingers, but have a youth movement. Trade one older guy with an expiring contract for an even older guy, who is less productive, with a couple more years on a contract. In the playoff race, but trade their captain.

Since they're all over the map, nothing Dallas does at the deadline would surprise me.
Bring in veterans to help the worst pp in the NHL in 40 years. Get rid of veterans who were not good enough to build a playoff team around anymore. 40 year old wingers who scored 70 pts last year and lead the team in pts this year respectively can maybe teach younger wingers a thing or two about the NHL. Ryder for Cole was a mistake, but they weren't going to give Ryder the contract he wanted. Morrow doesn't fit on this team any more, so trading him makes a ton of sense, especially if you aren't convinced that this is a playoff team.

All over the map, no. Rebuild, yes. The hope is that signing experienced guys who have won before rubs off on guys like Dillon, Eakin, and Smith this year and Oleksiak, Nemeth, and Chiasson next year.

Mr Misty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 03:55 PM
SchultzSquared

Which reporter was it that tweeted that two 2nds were offered for Jagr... easy to guess as to who that would be...

Montreal... 3 2nds, have Plekanec...

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 03:57 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
Bring in veterans to help the worst pp in the NHL in 40 years. Get rid of veterans who were not good enough to build a playoff team around anymore. 40 year old wingers who scored 70 pts last year and lead the team in pts this year respectively can maybe teach younger wingers a thing or two about the NHL. Ryder for Cole was a mistake, but they weren't going to give Ryder the contract he wanted. Morrow doesn't fit on this team any more, so trading him makes a ton of sense, especially if you aren't convinced that this is a playoff team.

All over the map, no. Rebuild, yes. The hope is that signing experienced guys who have won before rubs off on guys like Dillon, Eakin, and Smith this year and Oleksiak, Nemeth, and Chiasson next year.
I get the logic for each move by themselves. Collectively though, that's where the moves seem to go one way and then the other.

I'm not sure I see what the Stars are doing as rebuilding, so much as remaking. They build a wall, knock down a different wall. They build another wall, and knock that same wall down. They buy a king size bed, but there's still a hole in the roof of the bedroom.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:06 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
I get the logic for each move by themselves. Collectively though, that's where the moves seem to go one way and then the other.

I'm not sure I see what the Stars are doing as rebuilding, so much as remaking. They build a wall, knock down a different wall. They build another wall, and knock that same wall down. They buy a king size bed, but there's still a hole in the roof of the bedroom.
The Stars seem to be trying to be Smartest Guys in the Room... I have a feeling they are attempting the Moneyball route and the numbers tell them 40-year-old Whitney is a cheap bet for production while the numbers said Fistric was expendable for a pick at a certain threshold...

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:29 PM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

Quote:

The only of those that didn't fit with the rest was Ryder for Cole. Jagr and Whitney were short-term stop gaps brought in for tutelage of the youngsters and from keeping the team from being a disaster. Course, that may not have been so bad since it would result in a high pick.

Shady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:30 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:

You are right that they knocked down some walls, but the Ribeiro/Morrow/Ott/Robidas core was not going to build a playoff house any more. The hope is that moving out the old leadership group will allow Benn and Eriksson to take over the team, and that players with experience can bridge the gap to the pretty good prospect pool they have built up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
The Stars seem to be trying to be Smartest Guys in the Room... I have a feeling they are attempting the Moneyball route and the numbers tell them 40-year-old Whitney is a cheap bet for production while the numbers said Fistric was expendable for a pick at a certain threshold...
As much as I wish the Stars were well run, I don't think many people would characterize 2 yrs/9m for Whitney as a cheap bet for production. As for Fistric, the hope was that Larsen and Rome would be a legit 3rd pair, instead of a train wreck and constantly injured. Why pay Fistric when Jordie Benn can be the 7th, plus he can convince his brother Jamie to sign etc. Its more like the Morrow move IMO, with Fistric not really having a role on the team when everyone is healthy and the Stars dealing away some of their depth for market value.

Old
04-01-2013, 04:42 PM
Holy Slapshot

Best the Stars could do right now is to make some special deal with Jagr - send him to a hot contender from his own list for beefy ransom today and promise to sign him for another 1 year beefy contract in summer.

And repeat this scheme every season to his 50s.

Holy Slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:43 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

I'm not really sure why Dallas wouldn't move him, it seems like his return would be much more valuable to them then trying to resign him. You can get a high pick or a nice prospect for him.

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:26 PM
jameswrjobe53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
Which reporter was it that tweeted that two 2nds were offered for Jagr... easy to guess as to who that would be...

Montreal... 3 2nds, have Plekanec...
2013 2nd
2014 2nd
et cetera

Old
04-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswrjobe53 View Post
2013 2nd
2014 2nd
et cetera
This could be what was offered, but 2014 picks are of zero interest from a Stars perspective.