HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Report: Sharks sign Nieto; heading to Worcester

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-01-2013, 11:18 AM
  #26
Tkachuk4MVP
23 Years of Fail
 
Tkachuk4MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 9,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I believe so, doubt they'll rush him like that though. But who knows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
Depends on the deal he signs. Lots of players sign an ATO so that teams don't lose a year off their ELC for less then 20 games - the ELC would start next year. IF that's the case he cannot be called up.

However, 210 and I were chatting about this and it wouldn't totally shock me to see Nieto in San Jose, especially if Clowe is moved for futures.

Thanks guys. So Stalock what's the alternative to an ATO in Nieto's case? Just a regular AHL contract?


And I've gotta say, after that miserable first couple of months this is turning out to be a pretty exciting season!

Tkachuk4MVP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:19 AM
  #27
KirbyDots
Registered User
 
KirbyDots's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mountain View, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
He's been that good for the 2nd half of his BU season. He could possibly step in on Thornton's wing considering how sheltered he's been since McLellan went to 3 scoring lines.

I'm not saying SJ is going to bring him up this year, just that I wouldn't be at all surprised even though it's very rare they bring prospects straight to the NHL.
That's what I've been saying. Towards the end on the season I thought he wouldn't look out of place in the Sharks top 6. Think he could be a black ace late season and playoffs. Kinda like they did with Couture.

KirbyDots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:20 AM
  #28
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 7,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
What about guys who are on the smaller side and have questionable defensive games?
Size is generally an issue. Sometimes, letting them play in the AHL will let the grow and get stronger. Plus, if they are from the CHL, it lets them adjust to playing against grown men.

Nieto honestly has little to gain from getting bigger and stronger; the risk of losing speed makes it not worth it. Plus, he's a product of the NCAA and has already succeeded against bigger/stronger competition. Furthermore, how better to adjust to playing against NHL-sized players than in the NHL itself?

Same with developing a defensive game. What better way to do it than against NHL forwards? If Nieto can produce offensively enough to offset the mistakes he'll make defensively, while at the same time he makes the effor to improve the other parts of this game, he should get a spot.

AHL time, in reality, is a vent. When you have prospects with potential, but poor current talent, so much so that they will be overwhelmed in the NHL level either to a level of eroding their confidence (Sheppard) or to a level where they are costing the team games (Kaspar, Gorges).

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:20 AM
  #29
rangerssharks414
Registered User
 
rangerssharks414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
Depends on the deal he signs. Lots of players sign an ATO so that teams don't lose a year off their ELC for less then 20 games - the ELC would start next year. IF that's the case he cannot be called up.

However, 210 and I were chatting about this and it wouldn't totally shock me to see Nieto in San Jose, especially if Clowe is moved for futures.
ATO = amateur try out?

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:21 AM
  #30
massivegoonery
Registered User
 
massivegoonery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 11,368
vCash: 500
I was a big fan of Nieto when he was playing with the USNTDP. He was really fast, really smart, and really sneaky. Would have liked the Hawks to draft him along with his teammate at the time, Brandon Saad. I hope to see Nieto with the Sharks soon.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:22 AM
  #31
KirbyDots
Registered User
 
KirbyDots's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mountain View, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
Size is generally an issue. Sometimes, letting them play in the AHL will let the grow and get stronger. Plus, if they are from the CHL, it lets them adjust to playing against grown men.

Nieto honestly has little to gain from getting bigger and stronger; the risk of losing speed makes it not worth it. Plus, he's a product of the NCAA and has already succeeded against bigger/stronger competition. Furthermore, how better to adjust to playing against NHL-sized players than in the NHL itself?

Same with developing a defensive game. What better way to do it than against NHL forwards? If Nieto can produce offensively enough to offset the mistakes he'll make defensively, while at the same time he makes the effor to improve the other parts of this game, he should get a spot.

AHL time, in reality, is a vent. When you have prospects with potential, but poor current talent, so much so that they will be overwhelmed in the NHL level either to a level of eroding their confidence (Sheppard) or to a level where they are costing the team games (Kaspar, Gorges).
Nieto has grown and bulked up a lot since he was drafted and his defensive game is a strength not a problem. I'm not saying a year in the ahl wouldn't help, but its not out of the question that he could play in the bigs this season.

KirbyDots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:22 AM
  #32
Speed
Registered User
 
Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Holden, MA
Posts: 1,081
vCash: 500
Well if he does go to Worcester instead of SJ I'm going to assume he'll get plenty of playing time. We're all but eliminated from the playoffs, and Sommer has been very vocal about the team's performance (or lack). And if he does come, he'll be going to the booster club player awards banquet on the 10th - where 210 and I can grill him

Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:29 AM
  #33
Lebanezer
Registered User
 
Lebanezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 2,758
vCash: 500
Sweet. Great to hear.

Lebanezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:30 AM
  #34
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 56,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
I'm not saying SJ is going to bring him up this year, just that I wouldn't be at all surprised even though it's very rare they bring prospects straight to the NHL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
carle is the only 1 i can think of, that worked for a season or 2.

Pavelski says "hi".

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:36 AM
  #35
Inub0i
For the Alliance!
 
Inub0i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UC Irvine, Irvine
Country: United States
Posts: 8,627
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Freaking Sweet!

Inub0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:36 AM
  #36
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ
 
Brent Burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Coming in hot
Posts: 6,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Pavelski says "hi".
Ford Fiesta too

Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:37 AM
  #37
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding
 
Barrie22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Pavelski says "hi".
pavelski didn't come straight to the nhl though. he went to the ahl 1st, and then was called up and well the rest speaks for itself.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:40 AM
  #38
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways
 
Oppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 2,544
vCash: 500
I forgot who was the huge fan here but...today is your day

Oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:43 AM
  #39
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 32,814
vCash: 500
I'd pencil Nieto into the lineup before Handzus or Burish so if something happens back on D again, call the man up. lol

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:44 AM
  #40
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,471
vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I'd pencil Nieto into the lineup before Handzus or Burish so if something happens back on D again, call the man up. lol
Yeah, at the end of the day there's no way he's worse than Burish. That's reason enough to bring him here.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:44 AM
  #41
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 35,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii View Post
I forgot who was the huge fan here but...today is your day
A lot of us have high hopes. Hes a legit talent. 1st rounder who went in the 2nd due to size.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:45 AM
  #42
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 35,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Yeah, at the end of the day there's no way he's worse than Burish. That's reason enough to bring him here.
With Wingels, Marleau and Nieto..they can run that flip play all game long

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:50 AM
  #43
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,743
vCash: 500
Hopefully Sharks can dump Clowe, Handzus, and Burish as soon as humanly possible can call up Nieto. I'd like to see a line of:

Nieto - Pavelski - Wingels

or

Nieto - Sheppard - Wingels

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:55 AM
  #44
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 56,563
vCash: 500
http://www.uscho.com/2013/04/01/repo...with-san-jose/
http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....an-jose-sharks
Referencing original report

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:56 AM
  #45
Can HaZ Trainz
Frightened Inmate #2
 
Can HaZ Trainz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Burlingame, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post

Can HaZ Trainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:03 PM
  #46
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking
 
hohosaregood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
A lot of us have high hopes. Hes a legit talent. 1st rounder who went in the 2nd due to size.
I've heard that a lot of first year NCAA players in the draft fall a bit since they're still adjusting to the college game but I agree. Glad that we managed to get him.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:29 PM
  #47
Internazionale
Registered User
 
Internazionale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Hopefully Sharks can dump Clowe, Handzus, and Burish as soon as humanly possible can call up Nieto. I'd like to see a line of:

Nieto - Pavelski - Wingels

or

Nieto - Sheppard - Wingels

Man I think the Nieto-Pavelski-Wingels line would be a force to be reckoned with. Hope he gets the call up and finished off the season with the Sharks.

Internazionale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:39 PM
  #48
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,582
vCash: 500
Sign Rodrigues!!!

Great news though, looking forward towards updates from 210.

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:51 PM
  #49
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys
 
MarleauApologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,369
vCash: 500
I don't want him to come straight to the NHL, I'd prefer a year of seasoning in the AHL, don't rush him.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:05 PM
  #50
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
I don't want him to come straight to the NHL, I'd prefer a year of seasoning in the AHL, don't rush him.
I do, I don't want Sommer anywhere near him.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.