HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Interesting Info: Part XIII (All Jackets-related "tidbits" in here)

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2013, 02:14 PM
Skraut

vCash: 500
Buildings in which the Columbus Blue Jackets have been victorious this season.

1) Bridgestone Arena
2) Nationwide Arena
3) Joe Louis Arena
-------end of list.-------

Old
03-26-2013, 07:55 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post

1) Bridgestone Arena
2) Nationwide Arena
3) Joe Louis Arena

wow

I would have never guessed that

Old
03-26-2013, 09:26 PM
macattack88

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
So I'm going through the advanced stats for our defence, trying to see what I can learn. And indeed, Jack Johnson is a much better player than he used to be. He is used like a shutdown defenceman (Highest quality of competition, defensive zone starts), and though his Corsi isn't good (not sure how much I trust this stat), he gets the puck up ice very impressively (especially considering how bad he was at this in LA). JJ started just 41.8% of his shifts in the offensive zone but ended 53% of them there.

On another note, I'm confused as heck when it comes to our forward's zone starts minus ends. All of our forwards have better zone ends than starts. Is this even possible? Is the stat collection flawed? Am I just misunderstanding something?
Since Columbus spends more time in its zone than the offensive zone, they will have more faceoffs in that zone (goalie covers, icing ect.) A team like Montreal that constantly outshoots its oppenent (a good metric of zone possesion) they're players will be above 50% zone starts average. Zone starts can give a good idea about how a coach uses a certain player. However, by itself is a fairly useless state and should only be used together to support or dissmiss other stats.

Also something to consider is zone starts exclude neutral zone starts, and are calculated as Offensive Zone / (Offensive Zone + Defensive Zone).

here's a good article: http://www.litterboxcats.com/2012/8/...nthers-florida

Old
03-27-2013, 05:45 AM
EspenK

life was simpler when you could just say "that guy sucks" and the other guy said yeah, well so does...Advanced stats suck. Other guy-"well you know his offensive zone starts during the second period (of the infamous long change) when trailing by an average of .0003 goals makes him second only to Sidney Crosby..."

Old
03-27-2013, 09:43 AM
davidbklyn

Quote:

1) Bridgestone Arena
2) Nationwide Arena
3) Joe Louis Arena
... shortened list for a shortened season...?

Old
03-27-2013, 10:28 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:

1) Bridgestone Arena
2) Nationwide Arena
3) Joe Louis Arena
This is simply unbelievable. I had to go back and look it up.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:51 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Yeah Cellblock 303 (Nashville's equivalent of the ACA) tweeted it out, and I had to go look it up to make sure they weren't full of it.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:58 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
How is this unbelievable? We have 3 road wins this season and we know two of those 3 wins came in Detroit.

Old
03-31-2013, 07:10 AM
InjuredChoker

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 21 s
#CBJ recall C Nick Drazenovic from AHL Springfield. Likely means Boll and Foligno both out.

edit. Rob Mixer ‏@RobMixer 1 min
#CBJ have placed Nick Foligno on injured reserve.

Last edited by InjuredChoker: 03-31-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old
03-31-2013, 09:16 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Has anybody done a breakdown of the upcoming opponents for the teams we have to play this week? I know the Preds have three visits with Chicago this week & STL has two, along with a game against Detroit and Minny.

Quote:

1) Bridgestone Arena
2) Nationwide Arena
3) Joe Louis Arena
Add the Saddledome as of Friday night!

Old
04-01-2013, 09:12 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
Has anybody done a breakdown of the upcoming opponents for the teams we have to play this week? I know the Preds have three visits with Chicago this week & STL has two, along with a game against Detroit and Minny.
I'm actually reviewing the schedules from the bottom 8 teams in each conference. In general, it looks like the CBJ and Dallas have the toughest schedules going forward. NYR schedule looks tough for the next 6-8 games but they have a few games at the end that are "should win" games. Nashville and St. Louis are tough to figure because they have been wildly inconsistent. I expected STL to be much, much better. We may need to factor Detroit in now too. They simply haven't been that good.

Edmonton has a very favorable schedule and I see them as the biggest threat moving forward. It's going to be a challenge but certainly never thought we would be saying this at this point in the season. Unfortunately CBJ is only 3 points out of 13th in the conference too....

Old
04-01-2013, 02:47 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
I'm actually reviewing the schedules from the bottom 8 teams in each conference. In general, it looks like the CBJ and Dallas have the toughest schedules going forward.

We may need to factor Detroit in now too. They simply haven't been that good.
Let's face it, our schedule is beyond ugly. Our only "easy" game left is at Colorado. If we can hold ourselves in a playoff spot over the next 5 games, we have the 6 game road trip from hell coming up after that with the last game of the season, at home, against Nashville.

Maybe we can say that about Detroit, maybe not. For not being all that good, they are still 7-5-1 in March. If they somehow lose to Colorado, they could be vulnerable. I guess everyone starts to look bad when you have a 10-2-3 month (23 of 30 points). That is amazing and it took that to even get us to faint hope for the 8th spot.

Beyond our schedule we have a huge regulation win issue. We probably lose every tie breaker known to man. Interesting thing to note, had we won a couple more shoot outs we would have been in far better position.

If this team qualifies for post season, it will be a true miracle. Almost everything is working against them.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:55 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Let's face it, our schedule is beyond ugly. Our only "easy" game left is at Colorado. If we can hold ourselves in a playoff spot over the next 5 games, we have the 6 game road trip from hell coming up after that with the last game of the season, at home, against Nashville.

Maybe we can say that about Detroit, maybe not. For not being all that good, they are still 7-5-1 in March. If they somehow lose to Colorado, they could be vulnerable. I guess everyone starts to look bad when you have a 10-2-3 month (23 of 30 points). That is amazing and it took that to even get us to faint hope for the 8th spot.

Beyond our schedule we have a huge regulation win issue. We probably lose every tie breaker known to man. Interesting thing to note, had we won a couple more shoot outs we would have been in far better position.

If this team qualifies for post season, it will be a true miracle. Almost everything is working against them.
Agreed.

But at the same time, a month ago you could have said the same thing about the CBJ being in 8th.

Old
04-01-2013, 03:03 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Agreed.

But at the same time, a month ago you could have said the same thing about the CBJ being in 8th.
True, it was very remote, but far more likely with our home schedule for the month. This will be needed on the road. We just proved on last road trip, we weren't up to the challenge. Nothing we do at home shocks me now. Now they need to shock me on the road.

Not saying we can't do it. But it sure would be a miracle.

Old
04-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
True, it was very remote, but far more likely with our home schedule for the month. This will be needed on the road. We just proved on last road trip, we weren't up to the challenge. Nothing we do at home shocks me now. Now they need to shock me on the road.

Not saying we can't do it. But it sure would be a miracle.
It would be for sure, but the way they have been going I'm not ruling it out.

As fans we asked for them to work hard and compete, they have. We asked for them to be entertaining, can't say they haven't kept us on the edge of our seats. Guess all that's left is for us to ask them to make the playoffs.

Old
04-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Xoggz22

Quote:

I completely agree. I'm still torn with rooting for them to make the playoffs and rooting for others to win and pass them because I think the higher the picks this year the better in the near and long term. I'm not so crazy to think that all picks will work out and we'll be world beaters but I think there are limitations with this roster that depth will help via the draft.

My perfect world has the Rangers continuing to implode and the CBJ making the playoffs. KEep a lottery pick and continue with the surprise season. The odds are stacked against the CBJ. This is one of the reasons I think we're getting a touch of lip service from JD and JK. Sure they'll move a pick IF it makes sense. Politically correct but the reality is these are smart guys and know we have an uphill climb even sitting in 8th currently.

If a deal is made that can truly help now yet not sacrifice assets for short term gain (ie. young forward wtih skill and upside) I don't doubt they wouldn't do the deal. Realistically I'm not sure that asset is available.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:44 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by macattack88 View Post
Since Columbus spends more time in its zone than the offensive zone, they will have more faceoffs in that zone (goalie covers, icing ect.) A team like Montreal that constantly outshoots its oppenent (a good metric of zone possesion) they're players will be above 50% zone starts average. Zone starts can give a good idea about how a coach uses a certain player. However, by itself is a fairly useless state and should only be used together to support or dissmiss other stats.

Also something to consider is zone starts exclude neutral zone starts, and are calculated as Offensive Zone / (Offensive Zone + Defensive Zone).

here's a good article: http://www.litterboxcats.com/2012/8/...nthers-florida
Thanks for the help. Though I think I need more help, to be honest.

Every single Jackets' forward has better zone finishes than zone starts with the lone exception being Colton Gillies. I'm still struggling to explain this, because even if we spend more time in our zone (which would explain starts being there a lot), most of our zone finishes are in the offensive end! Which is where the next zone starts are for whatever 5 players line up there after the whistle! On a team-wide basis, shouldn't % of starts in the offensive zone be almost the same as % of finishes in the offensive zone?? (You end a shift in a zone, you or someone else will then start a shift in that zone).

Old
04-02-2013, 12:38 AM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
Thanks for the help. Though I think I need more help, to be honest.

Every single Jackets' forward has better zone finishes than zone starts with the lone exception being Colton Gillies. I'm still struggling to explain this, because even if we spend more time in our zone (which would explain starts being there a lot), most of our zone finishes are in the offensive end! Which is where the next zone starts are for whatever 5 players line up there after the whistle! On a team-wide basis, shouldn't % of starts in the offensive zone be almost the same as % of finishes in the offensive zone?? (You end a shift in a zone, you or someone else will then start a shift in that zone).
I think it would have to have something to do with changing on the fly. Maybe they count a dump and change as an "offensive zone start" even though we aren't really controlling the puck at that point?

Old
04-02-2013, 01:23 AM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
I think it would have to have something to do with changing on the fly. Maybe they count a dump and change as an "offensive zone start" even though we aren't really controlling the puck at that point?
I was wondering that too, but I don't think the stat includes changes on the fly.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:45 AM
EspenK

Quote:

More is better?

Old
04-02-2013, 08:05 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
It would be for sure, but the way they have been going I'm not ruling it out.
True enough, but I need some evidence before I start to believe. There is no sign, yet, that we can even play .500 on the road. If we won out at home and played .500 on the road (point wise), we would have a chance. So talk to me again if we go 4-1 over the next 5.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:12 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
True enough, but I need some evidence before I start to believe. There is no sign, yet, that we can even play .500 on the road. If we won out at home and played .500 on the road (point wise), we would have a chance. So talk to me again if we go 4-1 over the next 5.
Not yet in Believe mode myself yet, my beginning of season projection was .500 (20-20-8) and that still looks more likely than the playoffs.

But as I said, the way they have been going I'm not ruling the alternative out.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:06 AM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/statu...87849364398080

Quote:
Aaron Portzline
‏@Aportzline
#CBJ C Mark Letestu has signed a two-year contract extension.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:04 PM
Zoo16
Bye West,Hello East!

Quick FYI: Atkinson won't be at the guest bartending event tonight at BBR; Prout takes his place.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo16 View Post
Quick FYI: Atkinson won't be at the guest bartending event tonight at BBR; Prout takes his place.
couldn't reach the tap handles...

Closed Thread