HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

HF Jets Lounge - No Jokinen in this thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-01-2013, 10:45 AM
  #801
Jet
Moderator
Chevel-takesadayoff
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 17,226
vCash: 50
PS I've never watched Game of Thrones but they made NHL banners in honor of the show that look pretty sweet. Here's the Jets one:

Winter never leaves... pretty friggin on point.


__________________
The Olympic Line
Jet is online now  
Old
04-01-2013, 10:55 AM
  #802
ps241
The Danish Dash!
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,859
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
PS I've never watched Game of Thrones but they made NHL banners in honor of the show that look pretty sweet. Here's the Jets one:

Winter never leaves... pretty friggin on point.


ps241 is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 11:13 AM
  #803
ps241
The Danish Dash!
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,859
vCash: 50
My wife was complaining about The length of our winter (oh and having a baby daughter that is 13 months old and doesn't sleep well doesn't help).....so we did something we never do as a couple and booked a short trip to Vegas on a whim. normally my wife would have trouble leaving our kids but she said she was down with it (thank you grandmamma).

Yesterday we arrived and lazed around the pool and got mildly drunk together without having to worry about the safety of our children.....unbelievably relaxing and fun but more importantly I got my wife a break which everyone needes. I travel a bit for work so it's easier for me than her.



very thankful to have an amazing mother in law......words you rarely here a man say.

ps241 is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 12:16 PM
  #804
Back in the Bigs
and lovin' it !!
 
Back in the Bigs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 386
vCash: 500
yes, youy can definitely get hooked on Breaking Bad... Holden, you're right, they kinda overcooked Walt's bad ass Meth King charachter a bunch, but I can't wait to see how the last half of season 5 ends up.... think it starts in July?
...watching Justified on Netflix now, pretty good

Back in the Bigs is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 12:20 PM
  #805
Back in the Bigs
and lovin' it !!
 
Back in the Bigs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
My wife was complaining about The length of our winter (oh and having a baby daughter that is 13 months old and doesn't sleep well doesn't help).....so we did something we never do as a couple and booked a short trip to Vegas on a whim. normally my wife would have trouble leaving our kids but she said she was down with it (thank you grandmamma).

Yesterday we arrived and lazed around the pool and got mildly drunk together without having to worry about the safety of our children.....unbelievably relaxing and fun but more importantly I got my wife a break which everyone needes. I travel a bit for work so it's easier for me than her.



very thankful to have an amazing mother in law......words you rarely here a man say.
when mama's happy, everbody's happy where you stayin? on the Strip? gonna check out Freemont?

Back in the Bigs is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 12:42 PM
  #806
ps241
The Danish Dash!
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,859
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back in the Bigs View Post
when mama's happy, everbody's happy where you stayin? on the Strip? gonna check out Freemont?
Staying at Aria (on a buddy's recommendation) and its a nice place. Yesterday was drunk at the pool day today the wife and I are gearing up to walk around outside and see a few things and get some exercise. neither of us gamble so it frees up allot of time.

ps241 is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 01:43 PM
  #807
TCsmyth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
My wife was complaining about The length of our winter (oh and having a baby daughter that is 13 months old and doesn't sleep well doesn't help).....so we did something we never do as a couple and booked a short trip to Vegas on a whim. normally my wife would have trouble leaving our kids but she said she was down with it (thank you grandmamma).

Yesterday we arrived and lazed around the pool and got mildly drunk together without having to worry about the safety of our children.....unbelievably relaxing and fun but more importantly I got my wife a break which everyone needes. I travel a bit for work so it's easier for me than her.



very thankful to have an amazing mother in law......words you rarely here a man say.
is this the only thing you did???

TCsmyth is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 03:42 PM
  #808
Diatidialga
Registered User
 
Diatidialga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,040
vCash: 50
****** went full retard today

Diatidialga is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 04:57 PM
  #809
DarthMonty
Jurassic Park baby
 
DarthMonty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Optimismville
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,156
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatidialga View Post
****** went full retard today

Isn't most of ****** on full retard every day?

DarthMonty is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 04:57 PM
  #810
blueandgoldguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Greg's River Heights
Posts: 1,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey Rustie View Post
The new season of Mad Men starts on Sunday, that's a pretty good show.
'

Really looking forward to this. The best period piece on TV quite easily. Great cast and fantastic central character in Don Draper. Little bit of a cliffhanger at the end of season 5 (which might have been the show's best) as to whether Don would go back to his cheating ways.

Love a lot of shows mentioned here. I might get heat for this since nowadays it's uncool to admit you like network TV shows, but one of my most favorite recent serialized shows if LOST. Some felt the show went on too long and many felt the ending was terrible, but I was hooked from beginning to end. They did an excellent job with the character development in that show as well - very few missteps. As much as I enjoy Walking Dead, outside of a few characters, the writers have done a HORRIBLE JOB of writing interesting and appealing characters -very poor character development in the show. On the plus side, lots of gruesome and gory zombie action which me likes.

Also loved 24 back in the 2000s as well. It was somewhat prepostorous to begin with, but become even moreso after season 3. Still quite entertaining and Jack Bauer kicks serious azz.

Both 24 and LOST changed the common perception amongst network execs that you can't maintain an audience week-to-week with serialized dramas. Led to a proliferation of serialized shows on network TV - some good and some bad.

blueandgoldguy is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 05:14 PM
  #811
DarthMonty
Jurassic Park baby
 
DarthMonty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Optimismville
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,156
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
'

Really looking forward to this. The best period piece on TV quite easily. Great cast and fantastic central character in Don Draper. Little bit of a cliffhanger at the end of season 5 (which might have been the show's best) as to whether Don would go back to his cheating ways.

Love a lot of shows mentioned here. I might get heat for this since nowadays it's uncool to admit you like network TV shows, but one of my most favorite recent serialized shows if LOST. Some felt the show went on too long and many felt the ending was terrible, but I was hooked from beginning to end. They did an excellent job with the character development in that show as well - very few missteps. As much as I enjoy Walking Dead, outside of a few characters, the writers have done a HORRIBLE JOB of writing interesting and appealing characters -very poor character development in the show. On the plus side, lots of gruesome and gory zombie action which me likes.

Also loved 24 back in the 2000s as well. It was somewhat prepostorous to begin with, but become even moreso after season 3. Still quite entertaining and Jack Bauer kicks serious azz.

Both 24 and LOST changed the common perception amongst network execs that you can't maintain an audience week-to-week with serialized dramas. Led to a proliferation of serialized shows on network TV - some good and some bad.
I think you're going to find that the most interesting story line isn't whether or not Draper returns to his cheating ways, but the new dynamic of the ownership group what with Lane's suicide and Joan earning a "not silent" piece of the pie. We're re-watching the last season to get ready for Sunday.

My favourite episodic serialized shows are (in no particular order, as I think they're all outstanding):

- Six Feet Under
- Breaking Bad
- Mad Men
- Boardwalk Empire
- The Wire
- Arrested Development

I once had "The Sopranos" and "Deadwood" on the list, but in re-watching both of them, I found that even the first season of each couldn't hold my attention, and that both were nowhere near as good as I had remembered them being.

I haven't yet had a chance to watch "Game of Thrones" or "Sons of Anarchy", but we do have them downloaded, and when hockey season is over, I'll watch one of them before the summer is through.

I would probably add Modern Family, Futurama and Family Guy to the above list, but none of them are really serial in nature; they're all really self-contained single episodes as opposed to a series.

And honourable mention to Robot Chicken, Seinfeld and Cheers, as they still make me laugh out loud, even though I've seen them all repeated times.

DarthMonty is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 05:32 PM
  #812
blueandgoldguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Greg's River Heights
Posts: 1,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMonty View Post
I think you're going to find that the most interesting story line isn't whether or not Draper returns to his cheating ways, but the new dynamic of the ownership group what with Lane's suicide and Joan earning a "not silent" piece of the pie. We're re-watching the last season to get ready for Sunday.

My favourite episodic serialized shows are (in no particular order, as I think they're all outstanding):

- Six Feet Under
- Breaking Bad
- Mad Men
- Boardwalk Empire
- The Wire
- Arrested Development

I once had "The Sopranos" and "Deadwood" on the list, but in re-watching both of them, I found that even the first season of each couldn't hold my attention, and that both were nowhere near as good as I had remembered them being.

I haven't yet had a chance to watch "Game of Thrones" or "Sons of Anarchy", but we do have them downloaded, and when hockey season is over, I'll watch one of them before the summer is through.

I would probably add Modern Family, Futurama and Family Guy to the above list, but none of them are really serial in nature; they're all really self-contained single episodes as opposed to a series.

And honourable mention to Robot Chicken, Seinfeld and Cheers, as they still make me laugh out loud, even though I've seen them all repeated times.
Yes, I'm going to have to rewatch season 5 of Mad Men on Netflix. Such a great season. If you like historical dramas I suggest Rome and the Tudors. Not up to the standards of Mad Men (few, if any, are), but they're both enjoyable series. The two central characters in Rome have great chemistry and the set pieces in that show are amazing. Second season was a little rushed storywise as the show was going to be cancelled so they had to cram 2 seasons into one. Reasons for the cancellation weren't due to poor ratings either the show did have good ratings. It was due to the prohibitive costs of show.

Tudors isn't for everyone, but I found it quite fascinating, especially season 2. Jonathan Rhys-Meyers was an excellent choice as King Henry 8 and the actor who played his brother-in-law, Henry Cavill, put in an great performance as well. Just as an aside, Cavill we be playing Superman in the movie release this summer.

blueandgoldguy is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 05:41 PM
  #813
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7
 
Winnipeg Jets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Selkirk
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,282
vCash: 1580
I know someone is using it as an avatar but I thought everyone might want to see this hilarious pic:


Winnipeg Jets is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 06:57 PM
  #814
ps241
The Danish Dash!
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,859
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post
is this the only thing you did???
We are keeping busy TC

ps241 is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 06:58 PM
  #815
Hammer Slammer
Moderator
 
Hammer Slammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,699
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatidialga View Post
****** went full retard today
I don't play TF2 so I was incredibly confused.

__________________
Hammer Slammer is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 09:39 PM
  #816
DespoticNewt
Registered User
 
DespoticNewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,125
vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
I know someone is using it as an avatar but I thought everyone might want to see this hilarious pic:

Someone needs to shop Olli Jokinen's face on him.

DespoticNewt is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 10:08 PM
  #817
JC Numminen
Moderator
The top dog
 
JC Numminen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Westman
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,006
vCash: 50
jetsgrl.png

I tryed

JC Numminen is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 10:44 PM
  #818
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad
 
Gnova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Jetland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,881
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back in the Bigs View Post
yes, youy can definitely get hooked on Breaking Bad... Holden, you're right, they kinda overcooked Walt's bad ass Meth King charachter a bunch, but I can't wait to see how the last half of season 5 ends up.... think it starts in July?
...watching Justified on Netflix now, pretty good
Season two of Justified is sooooo good.

Gnova is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 12:01 AM
  #819
Snot Rocket
Registered User
 
Snot Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 489
vCash: 800
Watching....in any order

1. VIKINGS - Awesome

2. Ripper Street - Good British show, impressed so far

3. Spartacus - TONS of blood, graphic slaughter and nudity done by Sam Rami and Rob Tapert (Yes, Evil Dead series, Xena, Hercules etc) without the comedy, all killer no filler.
Only sad thing is the main actor who played Spartacus had to resign after season 1...he got cancer...replacement is alright but just does not have the screen presence that Andy Whitfield commanded.

4. Arrow - Getting better as it goes along - interestingly enough that one of the main actors that from Spartacus has been cast in Arrow.

5. Game of Thrones

Noting that my top 5 are all violent...I do watch How I Met Your Mother too...

Snot Rocket is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 12:42 AM
  #820
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes
 
Turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,257
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snot Rocket View Post
Watching....in any order

1. VIKINGS - Awesome

2. Ripper Street - Good British show, impressed so far

3. Spartacus - TONS of blood, graphic slaughter and nudity done by Sam Rami and Rob Tapert (Yes, Evil Dead series, Xena, Hercules etc) without the comedy, all killer no filler.
Only sad thing is the main actor who played Spartacus had to resign after season 1...he got cancer...replacement is alright but just does not have the screen presence that Andy Whitfield commanded.

4. Arrow - Getting better as it goes along - interestingly enough that one of the main actors that from Spartacus has been cast in Arrow.

5. Game of Thrones

Noting that my top 5 are all violent...I do watch How I Met Your Mother too...
I like Arrow. It's slickly produced, and for a superhero show, it's well-written. Might not be saying much, but it's fun. Guilty pleasure.

Turbofan is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 12:49 AM
  #821
Gm0ney
Registered User
 
Gm0ney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,600
vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snot Rocket View Post
Watching....in any order

1. VIKINGS - Awesome

2. Ripper Street - Good British show, impressed so far

3. Spartacus - TONS of blood, graphic slaughter and nudity done by Sam Rami and Rob Tapert (Yes, Evil Dead series, Xena, Hercules etc) without the comedy, all killer no filler.
Only sad thing is the main actor who played Spartacus had to resign after season 1...he got cancer...replacement is alright but just does not have the screen presence that Andy Whitfield commanded.

4. Arrow - Getting better as it goes along - interestingly enough that one of the main actors that from Spartacus has been cast in Arrow.

5. Game of Thrones

Noting that my top 5 are all violent...I do watch How I Met Your Mother too...
Hoo boy, Spartacus...it's like Rome on cocaine!

Gm0ney is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 01:49 AM
  #822
DespoticNewt
Registered User
 
DespoticNewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,125
vCash: 234
Oh, look. Another new, obnoxious 'We are Canadian' Tim Horton's commercial.

DespoticNewt is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 02:07 AM
  #823
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad
 
Gnova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Jetland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,881
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snot Rocket View Post
Watching....in any order

1. VIKINGS - Awesome

2. Ripper Street - Good British show, impressed so far

3. Spartacus - TONS of blood, graphic slaughter and nudity done by Sam Rami and Rob Tapert (Yes, Evil Dead series, Xena, Hercules etc) without the comedy, all killer no filler.
Only sad thing is the main actor who played Spartacus had to resign after season 1...he got cancer...replacement is alright but just does not have the screen presence that Andy Whitfield commanded.

4. Arrow - Getting better as it goes along - interestingly enough that one of the main actors that from Spartacus has been cast in Arrow.

5. Game of Thrones

Noting that my top 5 are all violent...I do watch How I Met Your Mother too...
I love Arrow. I'm a huge comic book geek and well done comic book TV series are few and far between.
Actually add movies into that as well. I really really can't stand the latest crop of Marvel movies, all action and "oh look at me I'm so cool" characters. Marvel characters do not lend themselves to movies well. Blade 1 and maybe the latest Pumisher movie are the only decent ones in a long long time.

Gnova is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 07:58 AM
  #824
DespoticNewt
Registered User
 
DespoticNewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,125
vCash: 234
Ok, what the hell is wrong with my head? I just woke up from a dream where the last thing that happened was Henrik and Daniel Sedin were dancing some weird ass tribal-like conga on a TSN telecast. The telecast was recapping the day's events, like always, and it was discussing the Vancouver Canucks' weekend road trip.

DespoticNewt is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 09:11 AM
  #825
Hammer Slammer
Moderator
 
Hammer Slammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,699
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
I watch so many shows it's ridiculous. I'll try to name my favourites.

Archer, Arrow, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Doctor Who, Sherlock (3rd series plz), Misfits, HIMYM, Parks and Recreation, Community, Psych, Happy Endings, New Girl, Shameless (one of the few shows where I prefer the American version), Mad Men (starts this weekend ), Bob's Burgers, Castle, I loved 30 Rock but it recently ended, Breaking Bad, Dexter, Fringe (ended), Hell on Wheels, Homeland, IASIP, The League, Torchwood, Workaholics... etc etc

I really want to start watching Justified and more of The Wire and a few others but those shows up there plus hockey and computer games keeps me busy.

And if you watch a lot of shows, you can organize them on a calendar - http://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat/

I love that thing.

Hammer Slammer is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.