Notices

HF Jets Lounge - No Jokinen in this thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
PS I've never watched Game of Thrones but they made NHL banners in honor of the show that look pretty sweet. Here's the Jets one:

Winter never leaves... pretty friggin on point.

04-01-2013, 10:55 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
PS I've never watched Game of Thrones but they made NHL banners in honor of the show that look pretty sweet. Here's the Jets one:

Winter never leaves... pretty friggin on point.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:13 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

My wife was complaining about The length of our winter (oh and having a baby daughter that is 13 months old and doesn't sleep well doesn't help).....so we did something we never do as a couple and booked a short trip to Vegas on a whim. normally my wife would have trouble leaving our kids but she said she was down with it (thank you grandmamma).

Yesterday we arrived and lazed around the pool and got mildly drunk together without having to worry about the safety of our children.....unbelievably relaxing and fun but more importantly I got my wife a break which everyone needes. I travel a bit for work so it's easier for me than her.

very thankful to have an amazing mother in law......words you rarely here a man say.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:16 PM
Back in the Bigs
and lovin' it !!

vCash: 500
yes, youy can definitely get hooked on Breaking Bad... Holden, you're right, they kinda overcooked Walt's bad ass Meth King charachter a bunch, but I can't wait to see how the last half of season 5 ends up.... think it starts in July?
...watching Justified on Netflix now, pretty good

Old
04-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Back in the Bigs
and lovin' it !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
My wife was complaining about The length of our winter (oh and having a baby daughter that is 13 months old and doesn't sleep well doesn't help).....so we did something we never do as a couple and booked a short trip to Vegas on a whim. normally my wife would have trouble leaving our kids but she said she was down with it (thank you grandmamma).

Yesterday we arrived and lazed around the pool and got mildly drunk together without having to worry about the safety of our children.....unbelievably relaxing and fun but more importantly I got my wife a break which everyone needes. I travel a bit for work so it's easier for me than her.

very thankful to have an amazing mother in law......words you rarely here a man say.
when mama's happy, everbody's happy where you stayin? on the Strip? gonna check out Freemont?

Old
04-01-2013, 12:42 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back in the Bigs View Post
when mama's happy, everbody's happy where you stayin? on the Strip? gonna check out Freemont?
Staying at Aria (on a buddy's recommendation) and its a nice place. Yesterday was drunk at the pool day today the wife and I are gearing up to walk around outside and see a few things and get some exercise. neither of us gamble so it frees up allot of time.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:43 PM
TCsmyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post

is this the only thing you did???

Old
04-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Diatidialga

****** went full retard today

Old
04-01-2013, 04:57 PM
DarthMonty
Jurassic Park baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatidialga View Post

Isn't most of ****** on full retard every day?

Old
04-01-2013, 04:57 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey Rustie View Post
The new season of Mad Men starts on Sunday, that's a pretty good show.
'

Really looking forward to this. The best period piece on TV quite easily. Great cast and fantastic central character in Don Draper. Little bit of a cliffhanger at the end of season 5 (which might have been the show's best) as to whether Don would go back to his cheating ways.

Love a lot of shows mentioned here. I might get heat for this since nowadays it's uncool to admit you like network TV shows, but one of my most favorite recent serialized shows if LOST. Some felt the show went on too long and many felt the ending was terrible, but I was hooked from beginning to end. They did an excellent job with the character development in that show as well - very few missteps. As much as I enjoy Walking Dead, outside of a few characters, the writers have done a HORRIBLE JOB of writing interesting and appealing characters -very poor character development in the show. On the plus side, lots of gruesome and gory zombie action which me likes.

Also loved 24 back in the 2000s as well. It was somewhat prepostorous to begin with, but become even moreso after season 3. Still quite entertaining and Jack Bauer kicks serious azz.

Both 24 and LOST changed the common perception amongst network execs that you can't maintain an audience week-to-week with serialized dramas. Led to a proliferation of serialized shows on network TV - some good and some bad.

Old
04-01-2013, 05:14 PM
DarthMonty
Jurassic Park baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
'

Really looking forward to this. The best period piece on TV quite easily. Great cast and fantastic central character in Don Draper. Little bit of a cliffhanger at the end of season 5 (which might have been the show's best) as to whether Don would go back to his cheating ways.

Love a lot of shows mentioned here. I might get heat for this since nowadays it's uncool to admit you like network TV shows, but one of my most favorite recent serialized shows if LOST. Some felt the show went on too long and many felt the ending was terrible, but I was hooked from beginning to end. They did an excellent job with the character development in that show as well - very few missteps. As much as I enjoy Walking Dead, outside of a few characters, the writers have done a HORRIBLE JOB of writing interesting and appealing characters -very poor character development in the show. On the plus side, lots of gruesome and gory zombie action which me likes.

Also loved 24 back in the 2000s as well. It was somewhat prepostorous to begin with, but become even moreso after season 3. Still quite entertaining and Jack Bauer kicks serious azz.

Both 24 and LOST changed the common perception amongst network execs that you can't maintain an audience week-to-week with serialized dramas. Led to a proliferation of serialized shows on network TV - some good and some bad.
I think you're going to find that the most interesting story line isn't whether or not Draper returns to his cheating ways, but the new dynamic of the ownership group what with Lane's suicide and Joan earning a "not silent" piece of the pie. We're re-watching the last season to get ready for Sunday.

My favourite episodic serialized shows are (in no particular order, as I think they're all outstanding):

- Six Feet Under
- Breaking Bad
- Mad Men
- Boardwalk Empire
- The Wire
- Arrested Development

I once had "The Sopranos" and "Deadwood" on the list, but in re-watching both of them, I found that even the first season of each couldn't hold my attention, and that both were nowhere near as good as I had remembered them being.

I haven't yet had a chance to watch "Game of Thrones" or "Sons of Anarchy", but we do have them downloaded, and when hockey season is over, I'll watch one of them before the summer is through.

I would probably add Modern Family, Futurama and Family Guy to the above list, but none of them are really serial in nature; they're all really self-contained single episodes as opposed to a series.

And honourable mention to Robot Chicken, Seinfeld and Cheers, as they still make me laugh out loud, even though I've seen them all repeated times.

Old
04-01-2013, 05:32 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMonty View Post
I think you're going to find that the most interesting story line isn't whether or not Draper returns to his cheating ways, but the new dynamic of the ownership group what with Lane's suicide and Joan earning a "not silent" piece of the pie. We're re-watching the last season to get ready for Sunday.

My favourite episodic serialized shows are (in no particular order, as I think they're all outstanding):

- Six Feet Under
- Breaking Bad
- Mad Men
- Boardwalk Empire
- The Wire
- Arrested Development

I once had "The Sopranos" and "Deadwood" on the list, but in re-watching both of them, I found that even the first season of each couldn't hold my attention, and that both were nowhere near as good as I had remembered them being.

I haven't yet had a chance to watch "Game of Thrones" or "Sons of Anarchy", but we do have them downloaded, and when hockey season is over, I'll watch one of them before the summer is through.

I would probably add Modern Family, Futurama and Family Guy to the above list, but none of them are really serial in nature; they're all really self-contained single episodes as opposed to a series.

And honourable mention to Robot Chicken, Seinfeld and Cheers, as they still make me laugh out loud, even though I've seen them all repeated times.
Yes, I'm going to have to rewatch season 5 of Mad Men on Netflix. Such a great season. If you like historical dramas I suggest Rome and the Tudors. Not up to the standards of Mad Men (few, if any, are), but they're both enjoyable series. The two central characters in Rome have great chemistry and the set pieces in that show are amazing. Second season was a little rushed storywise as the show was going to be cancelled so they had to cram 2 seasons into one. Reasons for the cancellation weren't due to poor ratings either the show did have good ratings. It was due to the prohibitive costs of show.

Tudors isn't for everyone, but I found it quite fascinating, especially season 2. Jonathan Rhys-Meyers was an excellent choice as King Henry 8 and the actor who played his brother-in-law, Henry Cavill, put in an great performance as well. Just as an aside, Cavill we be playing Superman in the movie release this summer.

Old
04-01-2013, 05:41 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
I know someone is using it as an avatar but I thought everyone might want to see this hilarious pic:

Old
04-01-2013, 06:57 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post
is this the only thing you did???
We are keeping busy TC

Old
04-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatidialga View Post
I don't play TF2 so I was incredibly confused.

04-01-2013, 09:39 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
I know someone is using it as an avatar but I thought everyone might want to see this hilarious pic:

Someone needs to shop Olli Jokinen's face on him.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:08 PM
JC Numminen
The top dog

jetsgrl.png

I tryed

Old
04-01-2013, 10:44 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back in the Bigs View Post
yes, youy can definitely get hooked on Breaking Bad... Holden, you're right, they kinda overcooked Walt's bad ass Meth King charachter a bunch, but I can't wait to see how the last half of season 5 ends up.... think it starts in July?
...watching Justified on Netflix now, pretty good
Season two of Justified is sooooo good.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:01 AM
Snot Rocket

vCash: 800
Watching....in any order

1. VIKINGS - Awesome

2. Ripper Street - Good British show, impressed so far

3. Spartacus - TONS of blood, graphic slaughter and nudity done by Sam Rami and Rob Tapert (Yes, Evil Dead series, Xena, Hercules etc) without the comedy, all killer no filler.
Only sad thing is the main actor who played Spartacus had to resign after season 1...he got cancer...replacement is alright but just does not have the screen presence that Andy Whitfield commanded.

4. Arrow - Getting better as it goes along - interestingly enough that one of the main actors that from Spartacus has been cast in Arrow.

5. Game of Thrones

Noting that my top 5 are all violent...I do watch How I Met Your Mother too...

Old
04-02-2013, 12:42 AM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snot Rocket View Post
Watching....in any order

1. VIKINGS - Awesome

3. Spartacus - TONS of blood, graphic slaughter and nudity done by Sam Rami and Rob Tapert (Yes, Evil Dead series, Xena, Hercules etc) without the comedy, all killer no filler.
Only sad thing is the main actor who played Spartacus had to resign after season 1...he got cancer...replacement is alright but just does not have the screen presence that Andy Whitfield commanded.

4. Arrow - Getting better as it goes along - interestingly enough that one of the main actors that from Spartacus has been cast in Arrow.

5. Game of Thrones

I like Arrow. It's slickly produced, and for a superhero show, it's well-written. Might not be saying much, but it's fun. Guilty pleasure.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:49 AM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Watching....in any order

1. VIKINGS - Awesome

5. Game of Thrones

Hoo boy, Spartacus...it's like Rome on cocaine!

Old
04-02-2013, 01:49 AM
DespoticNewt

Oh, look. Another new, obnoxious 'We are Canadian' Tim Horton's commercial.

Old
04-02-2013, 02:07 AM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Quote:
Watching....in any order

1. VIKINGS - Awesome

5. Game of Thrones

I love Arrow. I'm a huge comic book geek and well done comic book TV series are few and far between.
Actually add movies into that as well. I really really can't stand the latest crop of Marvel movies, all action and "oh look at me I'm so cool" characters. Marvel characters do not lend themselves to movies well. Blade 1 and maybe the latest Pumisher movie are the only decent ones in a long long time.

Old
04-02-2013, 07:58 AM
DespoticNewt

Ok, what the hell is wrong with my head? I just woke up from a dream where the last thing that happened was Henrik and Daniel Sedin were dancing some weird ass tribal-like conga on a TSN telecast. The telecast was recapping the day's events, like always, and it was discussing the Vancouver Canucks' weekend road trip.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
I watch so many shows it's ridiculous. I'll try to name my favourites.

Archer, Arrow, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Doctor Who, Sherlock (3rd series plz), Misfits, HIMYM, Parks and Recreation, Community, Psych, Happy Endings, New Girl, Shameless (one of the few shows where I prefer the American version), Mad Men (starts this weekend ), Bob's Burgers, Castle, I loved 30 Rock but it recently ended, Breaking Bad, Dexter, Fringe (ended), Hell on Wheels, Homeland, IASIP, The League, Torchwood, Workaholics... etc etc

I really want to start watching Justified and more of The Wire and a few others but those shows up there plus hockey and computer games keeps me busy.

And if you watch a lot of shows, you can organize them on a calendar - http://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat/

I love that thing.

Closed Thread