HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's next for Ryan Strome? (At Bridgeport)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-01-2013, 09:56 AM
  #101
IceAce
RAISED IN A BARN
 
IceAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 3,795
vCash: 1110
Strome Reassigned to Bridgeport

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|NYI|home

Quote:
The New York Islanders announced today that Ryan Strome has been reassigned to the Bridgeport Sound Tigers of the American Hockey League.

Strome, 19, led the Niagara IceDogs in scoring with 94 points (34 goals, 60 assists) in 53 games this season, marking the sixth-highest point total in the Ontario Hockey League. He added three points (two goals, one assist) in five OHL Playoff games, as Niagara fell to the Oshawa Generals in the opening round. The Mississauga, ON native concluded his OHL career with 295 points (105 goals, 190 assists) in 225 regular-season games and 41 points (15 goals, 26 assists) in 44 OHL Playoff games.

IceAce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 10:47 AM
  #102
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,246
vCash: 500
Good for him. I hope we don't see him till training camp though.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:14 AM
  #103
blitzkriegs
Registered User
 
blitzkriegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Beach & Mtn & Island
Posts: 9,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Good for him. I hope we don't see him till training camp though.
He's 19. The isles track record with 19 year olds not named Tavares is not so great. Love the new ELC cap hit rules that do not incentivize Wang-type roster filling with ELCs vs actual NHL players.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:22 AM
  #104
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Good for him. I hope we don't see him till training camp though.
Just throwing this out there, but what if Ryan Strome goes to Bridgeport and scores 4 goals and has 6 assists in 10 Games and the Sound Tigers season is over and miss the playoffs.

Meanwhile the islanders have a handful of games left and Boyes is still not doing anything on even strength next to JT (or has been traded), and the Islanders are battling for their playoff lives?

This situation is entirely possible? What do you do? Do you think those 3 games ruin his career?

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:49 AM
  #105
Veteran journeyman
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Just throwing this out there, but what if Ryan Strome goes to Bridgeport and scores 4 goals and has 6 assists in 10 Games and the Sound Tigers season is over and miss the playoffs.

Meanwhile the islanders have a handful of games left and Boyes is still not doing anything on even strength next to JT (or has been traded), and the Islanders are battling for their playoff lives?

This situation is entirely possible? What do you do? Do you think those 3 games ruin his career?
I think you're on the right track with this example, which I believe is...let the circumstances dictate the future. But in general, I don't think limited NHL action after his OHL season is over is the same as having him skip his entire OHL season to be a healthy scratch/8 minute a game fourth liner in the NHL.

It's more like having a player in, say, the AHL and calling him up for a few NHL games over the course of the season. That can be beneficial. He's still developing where he should, but he gets a taste of what it's like at the next level, and maybe some more insight into what he needs to do to succeed there.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:49 AM
  #106
Bunk Moreland
Registered User
 
Bunk Moreland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 13,807
vCash: 50
Awesome but expected news excited to see what he can get done in the handful of B'port games left.

Bunk Moreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:55 AM
  #107
IslesNorway
Registered User
 
IslesNorway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Norway
Posts: 3,183
vCash: 500
Good for him to get a feel for the pro level before next season

IslesNorway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:05 PM
  #108
islandermaniac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
And Anders Lee is ALREADY 22 years old yet so many people here want to treat him like an 18-year old.

Bossy was the FIFTEENTH pick in the first round.

The ONLY elite player that was CONSIDERED ELITE was Potvin. Harris was nice but not elite. Trots was a SECOND ROUND PICK, NOT ELITE. Gillies was hardly considered HOF material when drafted. Bossy was considered a ONE-TRICK PONY, which is why he went 15th instead of top 2-3.

Again, even more revisionism!! As far as age is concerned, everyone was older, so that is NOT RELEVANT. They fit right into the lineup and produced!!

Also, if memory is served, both Nystrom, Henning and Howatt also played NHL in their draft years in 1973. Bourne also played very early. None of those were ELITE either.
nystrom was drafted at 20 years old and started his first full season with nyi at the age of 21.

henning was drafted at 20 and started his first full season with the nyi at 20.

howatt was drafted at 20 and started his first full season with the nyi at 21.

bourne was drafted at 20 and started his first full season with nyi at 20.

we could keep examining ages when drafted and when they first donned the nyi jersey for all players. that being said, i have to ask how is it not relevant to say that all of the players in that day and age had an extra 2 years of seasoning than players do today? it is absolutely relevant.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:18 PM
  #109
islandermaniac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
Boston does and they are arguably the best drafting/developng team in the nhl. Bergeron, lucic, Hamilton, seguin immediately joing the NHL roster and they all developed.

It is odd that a team that needs,help at c hasnt let their top c prospect touch the ice while alot of other teams have.
bergeron played after being drafted, that's true. but he was fortunate to play an entire ahl season in his sophmore year due to the last lockout. that was huge.

lucic did not immediately join the nhl roster as you suggest. he was back in junior for another season after being drafted. he made the nhl roster because he was built like a man at a young age (many isles prospects do not fit this description).

you are also incorrect with regards to hamilton. he played a full season of junior after being drafted and played another half season this year before seeing time with the big club.

seguin did join the big club right after his draft but was given VERY limited responsibility and ice time.

my point is that despite the isles lack of centre depth, they shouldn't force feed strom into that spot if he isn't ready. the bruins, who you argue are the best drafting/developing team in the league, DON'T do this. why should the isles?

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:25 PM
  #110
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,258
vCash: 500
Today is a good news day for Isles fans. First Pedan, Lee and now Strome.

A win tonight against the Devils and thats the icing on the cake.

__________________
Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:13 PM
  #111
Riseonfire
R+L=J
 
Riseonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
Today is a good news day for Isles fans. First Pedan, Lee and now Strome.

A win tonight against the Devils and thats the icing on the cake.
no no no. A win against the Devils IS the cake. The signings would be the icing.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:30 PM
  #112
leeroggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
nystrom was drafted at 20 years old and started his first full season with nyi at the age of 21.

henning was drafted at 20 and started his first full season with the nyi at 20.

howatt was drafted at 20 and started his first full season with the nyi at 21.

bourne was drafted at 20 and started his first full season with nyi at 20.

we could keep examining ages when drafted and when they first donned the nyi jersey for all players. that being said, i have to ask how is it not relevant to say that all of the players in that day and age had an extra 2 years of seasoning than players do today? it is absolutely relevant.
Because EVERYONE was older, not just our players. It isn't the age it's how mature they are, both as people and as players. There are too many people on this thread who would have been saying the same thing about Trots, Bossy, etc., that they should stay in the minors for 2-3 years.

In those days kids in general were more sheltered. The Canadian kids who were billeted grew up somewhat quicker than the ones who didn't. Yet somehow, the kids of today who are supposed to be growing up quicker thanks to technology, culture, physical fitness and diet (Bossy SMOKED for crying out loud), etc., are not able to contribute? There is NO ONE organizational approach that guarantees ANYTHING for their prospects, which is why drafting with character in mind is so important.

Detroit as a model? Maybe the length of time spent in the minors is because so few of them, drafted late in their rounds, are GOOD ENOUGH to break into their VETERAN lineup. Not unlike when our dynasty started frittering away they ARE NOT replacing their players with youngsters who are contributing, EVEN AT THE OLDER AGE (heck, we did a better job with Lafontaine and Flatley than Detroit is doing). It's not about age, it's about maturity AND production. Detroit is trying to hold on to a playoff spot after many years of President's Trophy level play. Two years from now we will no longer be talking about the 'Detroit Way', because they will no longer be a serious Cup contender.

We keep talking about ruining players, but realistically, in the last 20 years all across the league, how many players were ruined by playing too soon versus how many just couldn't translate junior skills to the NHL? You just find out earlier about that if they play quickly. They didn't have the MENTAL MAKEUP to play a productive career, like a Dave Chyzowski. Of course there are a few like Bertuzzi or Kevin Stevens who took awhile. But most of the time the difference is talent, desire and heart, not WHEN you started.

The Detroit WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T. Tatar - 24 yrs old - 18 games - 4G, 3A
J. Andersson - 24 years old - 25 games - 3G, 4A
C. Emmerton - 24 years old - 35 games - 3G, 3A
B. Smith (D) - 24 years old - 24 games - 0G, 4A
G. Nyqvist - 23 years old - 9 games - 1G, 1A
J. Abdelkader - 26 years old - 35 games - 6G, 2A

Big Bleepin' deal!! The Detroit Way? IT DOESN'T EXIST. Josh Bailey has outpointed ALL OF THESE GUYS.

The real dirty little secret of the Detroit Way? Drafting Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Lidstrom in latter rounds a number of years ago. Over the last 7 years they SUCKED AT DRAFTING.


Last edited by leeroggy: 04-01-2013 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Add stats
leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:45 PM
  #113
redbull
respect, earned.
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,389
vCash: 500
Not right or fair to compare these current prospects with hockey hall of famers and some of the best players in hockey history. There is a lot more than age going on with maturity and readiness for NHL play. The issue is less about "are they ready" than it is about "can they make the Islanders a better team right now"?

I'm not sure Strome or Lee can do that just yet. But they should earn that chance through their play in BP, or in practice in Lee's (and Joensuu's for that matter) case.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 03:25 PM
  #114
duster19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
bergeron played after being drafted, that's true. but he was fortunate to play an entire ahl season in his sophmore year due to the last lockout. that was huge.

lucic did not immediately join the nhl roster as you suggest. he was back in junior for another season after being drafted. he made the nhl roster because he was built like a man at a young age (many isles prospects do not fit this description).

you are also incorrect with regards to hamilton. he played a full season of junior after being drafted and played another half season this year before seeing time with the big club.

seguin did join the big club right after his draft but was given VERY limited responsibility and ice time.

my point is that despite the isles lack of centre depth, they shouldn't force feed strom into that spot if he isn't ready. the bruins, who you argue are the best drafting/developing team in the league, DON'T do this. why should the isles?


My point is that for a team that needs help at center, it is odd that their best prospect hasnt had a sniff at the NHL level while others in his draft yr have seen opportunities. You would think you would want to see what he can do in the NHL.

Boston does do this. You just said so. Begeron and seguin both did it.

All those guys never had an ahl stint before nhl. Im not against giving Strome ahl time, but its misconception to think going straight to NHL is a career ender as many think.

duster19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 03:52 PM
  #115
islandermaniac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
My point is that for a team that needs help at center, it is odd that their best prospect hasnt had a sniff at the NHL level while others in his draft yr have seen opportunities. You would think you would want to see what he can do in the NHL.

Boston does do this. You just said so. Begeron and seguin both did it.

All those guys never had an ahl stint before nhl. Im not against giving Strome ahl time, but its misconception to think going straight to NHL is a career ender as many think.
i think this is a non-issue. the isles are playing it safe with a kid who they absolutely NEED to become a key player. no harm can come from making him wait but harm can come from bringing him in before he is ready. even if he is ready, this not the year of the new york islanders, everyone. they aren't cup contenders with strome in the lineup...sorry.

nothing to see here...

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:38 PM
  #116
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Just throwing this out there, but what if Ryan Strome goes to Bridgeport and scores 4 goals and has 6 assists in 10 Games and the Sound Tigers season is over and miss the playoffs.

Meanwhile the islanders have a handful of games left and Boyes is still not doing anything on even strength next to JT (or has been traded), and the Islanders are battling for their playoff lives?

This situation is entirely possible? What do you do? Do you think those 3 games ruin his career?
Well he scored 2 goals and 5 assists in the 10 games. And Bridgeport's season is over. Boyes definitely still sucks (nice goal today off his boot). Islanders aren't battling for playoff lives any longer, just seeding. And apparently Strome is still 'Hanging'.

I don't think he'll play against Philly. I'm thinking Philly is going to play very nasty Thursday night.

BUT A one game Cameo in Buffalo for Strome shouldn't be ruled out. He played his OHL hockey not too far from there... could help get some Islander supporters in the stands and be a nice send-off to a very nice year for Strome this season.

I'm out ruling it out at this point.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:41 PM
  #117
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
Phrasing, 1st, BOOM.
 
CanseiDeSerBreakcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Location
Country: Spain
Posts: 4,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Well he scored 2 goals and 5 assists in the 10 games. And Bridgeport's season is over. Boyes definitely still sucks (nice goal today off his boot). Islanders aren't battling for playoff lives any longer, just seeding. And apparently Strome is still 'Hanging'.

I don't think he'll play against Philly. I'm thinking Philly is going to play very nasty Thursday night.

BUT A one game Cameo in Buffalo for Strome shouldn't be ruled out. He played his OHL hockey not too far from there... could help get some Islander supporters in the stands and be a nice send-off to a very nice year for Strome this season.

I'm out ruling it out at this point.
I like this idea. Maybe they'll have a little room for Donovan, Nino & Nilsson as well; wouldn't hurt to give Nabby and a few others a game to recharge.

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:47 PM
  #118
Poliz24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: LI
Posts: 712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88th Precinct View Post
I like this idea. Maybe they'll have a little room for Donovan, Nino & Nilsson as well; wouldn't hurt to give Nabby and a few others a game to recharge.
Nabby I completely agree with giving him some rest. With that said, I don't want to temper too much with the chemistry of the team. I mean we could play Lee and reasoner too, they have been healthy scratches and if for watever reason reasoner gets hurt its not as big as a loss losing a young prospect like Nino or Nelson or Strome. Thats just my opinion though.

Poliz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:51 PM
  #119
PK Cronin
HFB Partner
 
PK Cronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,753
vCash: 500
Our next two games may be worth something, so I'm not so sure we'll be seeing any kids play. But it all depends on what happens in our next game and the other teams games.

PK Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:54 PM
  #120
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poliz24 View Post
Nabby I completely agree with giving him some rest. With that said, I don't want to temper too much with the chemistry of the team. I mean we could play Lee and reasoner too, they have been healthy scratches and if for watever reason reasoner gets hurt its not as big as a loss losing a young prospect like Nino or Nelson or Strome. Thats just my opinion though.
While Nabby Looked completely exhausted, the rest of the team looked pretty burnt tonight too. These team has battled scratched and clawed for 15+ games and have been red hot. But there are some signs of fatigue setting in. Starting to think a rest for some of the guys may be a good thing. Chemistry doesn't mean anything when you dont have legs.

I think you'll see Poulin, Martinek, Carkner, Joensuu, Boulton, Finley, Ullstrom, Lee, Reasoner and maybe even Strome or Nilsson play in at least one of these next two games. It might be 5 of these players in each game. I expect the goon squad in Philly.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 11:00 PM
  #121
Poliz24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: LI
Posts: 712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
While Nabby Looked completely exhausted, the rest of the team looked pretty burnt tonight too. These team has battled scratched and clawed for 15+ games and have been red hot. But there are some signs of fatigue setting in. Starting to think a rest for some of the guys may be a good thing. Chemistry doesn't mean anything when you dont have legs.

I think you'll see Poulin, Martinek, Carkner, Joensuu, Boulton, Finley, Ullstrom, Lee, Reasoner and maybe even Strome or Nilsson play in at least one of these next two games. It might be 5 of these players in each game. I expect the goon squad in Philly.
Very true point, I agree with everything. But what about our top guys any chances they see any rest time?

Poliz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 11:13 PM
  #122
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poliz24 View Post
Very true point, I agree with everything. But what about our top guys any chances they see any rest time?
I don't have any guesses on the guys that sit, not really sure who needs it most. Aucoin and Boyes are my favorite forwards to pick on, so I would be real fine with them sitting the final two games no matter who replaces them.

How About:

vs. Philly
Moulson-Tavares-Ullstrom
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Grabner-Cizikas-McDonald
Martin-Lee-Boulton

AMAC-Hamonic
Viz-Hickey
Strait-Carkner

Poulin


and

vs Buff

Moulson-Tavares-Strome
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Grabner-Cizikas-McDonald
Joensuu-Reasoner-Martin

Amac-Hamonic
Viz-Hickey
Strait-Martinek

Nilsson

Striet was the defenceman I ended up sitting twice. He's a vet anyway. I think Strait needs to play both games, and I dont mess with the top 4 too much. Wanted to work Carkner in against philly. and Martinek against Buffalo.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 11:19 PM
  #123
cjdv16
Registered User
 
cjdv16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The Swamp
Country: United States
Posts: 6,156
vCash: 500
Isles need to sit some guys... no doubt.

JT - no question
Moulson - no question
Martin - from what I saw, no question
Streit, Viz
AMac, Hamonic
Nabby

Isles should sit half these guys against Philly's goon squad and the other half against Buffalo.

I think the extra rest does wonders for some of these guys come playoffs.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 11:51 PM
  #124
redbull
respect, earned.
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,389
vCash: 500
Our first line sucks.

I'd most certainly play any one of Strome, Nelson, Nino or Ullstrom for Boyes and Moulson.

Cappy won't

But he is using cmac with JT-MM here and there.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 12:24 AM
  #125
RMimagery
Registered User
 
RMimagery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Our first line sucks.
I hope you're half joking.

When the C is 13th in scoring and 3rd in goals (just one back of Stamkos for 2nd) and the LW is 18th...can't be sucking too much. They did quiet down but still have the most points last 15 games or so. Looking forward to the top line next season.

Wonder if JT will refuse to sit, though he prob should. A hat trick away from the lead (OV w/ 31). Now at 46 pts in 46 games. ppg= nice.

Agree with the Goon squad against PHI. It'll be interesting to see who sits/gets rested. Maybe Hamonic could use a day. Imagine how his ankle feels. Still can't believe he only missed part of a period, it looked soo bad. Cizikas took that slap shot into his arm recently. Anyone banged up should rest.

Anyone else look at the standings several times tonight?

RMimagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.