HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Buffalo Bills - Off-Season 2013 (Draft day draft day gotta get down on draft day)

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post

The roster gets worse and there's a completely rookie head coach and coordinators coming in, and people actually expect improvement? Wow. I hated Chan Gailey from day one and think Marrone's a better hire (but still not great), but I don't know how you're expecting any kind of improvement next season.
This year's team is going to be putrid, no way around that. They have no depth in important positions, have no answer at QB, and have let several key contributors walk.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny 89 View Post
This year's team is going to be putrid, no way around that. They have no depth in important positions, have no answer at QB, and have let several key contributors walk.
Agreed. I think 5 wins is high. I'm guessing 3 or 4 wins.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:58 AM
Layne Staley
The Future

I would say 2-14 but not only are the Bills ****ing terrible talent wise, they are so bad that they will mess up the tank and finish 6-10 and with the #10 pick...again.Pretty sad we have missed the playoffs 13 years and have had a grand total of TWO top 5 picks in that time frame.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:08 PM
dma0034

vCash: 600
Quote:

The roster gets worse and there's a completely rookie head coach and coordinators coming in, and people actually expect improvement? Wow. I hated Chan Gailey from day one and think Marrone's a better hire (but still not great), but I don't know how you're expecting any kind of improvement next season.
I can do a full breakdown as to why this roster will be better than last year's roster (depending on the draft).

Manny Lawson > Nick Barnett. Lawson is a great addition. He's good at applying pressure and against the run. He isn't half-bad against the pass either.... He torn his ACL in 2011 and now in 2013 that should be fine..... This was a steal.

Searcy = George Wilson. Wilson wasn't making play (please see Rams game). Wilson was also was slow at getting up the field (to help defend WRs) and helping run support.

Kolb > Fitzpatrick. Kolb has a pretty good arm and accuracy (which Fitz didn't have). Kolb's biggest problem is he got hurt the last two seasons (which I credit towards the Arizona O-Line). Kolb also has concerns about holding onto the ball for too long.... if the Bills can successfully change to a hybrid spread this will be a thing of the pass.

WR in draft > Donald Jones. Don't think this needs much explanation... Jones is just bad. Nelson was hurt last year too.

Left Tackle < Andy Levitre. Now I'm the first person who will tell you that Andy Levitre was a product of the system (Gailey's) but he a good LT (not elite).... not signing Rinehart was the stupidest mistake the Bills made.

I fully expect the Bills to go: LB, WR, CB, LT. Which could improve the defense which at one point in the season was being considered the worst defense of all time.

Expect Mario Williams (who looked good after surgery last year), Mark Anderson and Marcell Dareus (who lost his brother last year) to have better years thanks to our DC not running a Cover 4 the entire game. Gilmore will only get better and teams aren't going to be able to expose Williams on the other side because the Bills will have a new CB via draft or let Brooks start.

This Bills team is hardly in shambles like many of you assume.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:43 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
I can do a full breakdown as to why this roster will be better than last year's roster (depending on the draft).

Manny Lawson > Nick Barnett. Lawson is a great addition. He's good at applying pressure and against the run. He isn't half-bad against the pass either.... He torn his ACL in 2011 and now in 2013 that should be fine..... This was a steal.

Searcy = George Wilson. Wilson wasn't making play (please see Rams game). Wilson was also was slow at getting up the field (to help defend WRs) and helping run support.

Kolb > Fitzpatrick. Kolb has a pretty good arm and accuracy (which Fitz didn't have). Kolb's biggest problem is he got hurt the last two seasons (which I credit towards the Arizona O-Line). Kolb also has concerns about holding onto the ball for too long.... if the Bills can successfully change to a hybrid spread this will be a thing of the pass.

WR in draft > Donald Jones. Don't think this needs much explanation... Jones is just bad. Nelson was hurt last year too.

Left Tackle < Andy Levitre. Now I'm the first person who will tell you that Andy Levitre was a product of the system (Gailey's) but he a good LT (not elite).... not signing Rinehart was the stupidest mistake the Bills made.

I fully expect the Bills to go: LB, WR, CB, LT. Which could improve the defense which at one point in the season was being considered the worst defense of all time.

Expect Mario Williams (who looked good after surgery last year), Mark Anderson and Marcell Dareus (who lost his brother last year) to have better years thanks to our DC not running a Cover 4 the entire game. Gilmore will only get better and teams aren't going to be able to expose Williams on the other side because the Bills will have a new CB via draft or let Brooks start.

This Bills team is hardly in shambles like many of you assume.
Pretty sure Levitre is a guard.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:51 PM
dma0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Pretty sure Levitre is a guard.
Yeah but I expect Glenn to be pushed to Guard when the Bills draft a LT.... may be wrong.... but yes Levitre is a guard.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:23 PM
dma0034

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-buffalo-bills

This is a pretty good article on Kolb and how the offense will work.

Old
04-01-2013, 03:10 PM
whiplash

The Nancies are out in force quite early this year. Must be the dismal Sabres season. :p I just don't understand how anyone can be so crushingly negative before the draft has even occurred

I could take or leave Kolb>Fitz but I fully expect Marrone and Pettine to be an immediate upgrade over Chan and Wannstedt.

edit: check that, I lied. I understand why some people are so negative, I just don't get the point of it this early in the game.

Last edited by whiplash: 04-01-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old
04-01-2013, 03:47 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

The way I see it...it's tough for the team to get any worse, right?

Old
04-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
I disagree. They've haven't picked 1st during this miserable run. it can get worse, and has for some other team every year. Now it's our turn.

Old
04-01-2013, 04:36 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
The Nancies are out in force quite early this year. Must be the dismal Sabres season. :p I just don't understand how anyone can be so crushingly negative before the draft has even occurred

I could take or leave Kolb>Fitz but I fully expect Marrone and Pettine to be an immediate upgrade over Chan and Wannstedt.

edit: check that, I lied. I understand why some people are so negative, I just don't get the point of it this early in the game.
It has nothing to do with being negative. The predictions and results you're seeing so far are realistic based on the current roster and hurdles that the team's going to go through next season (new coaching staff). Even if they draft perfectly and hit in all rounds, the team is still going to have a ton of growing pains and will struggle.

Old
04-01-2013, 04:44 PM
dma0034

Quote:
It has nothing to do with being negative. The predictions and results you're seeing so far are realistic based on the current roster and hurdles that the team's going to go through next season (new coaching staff). Even if they draft perfectly and hit in all rounds, the team is still going to have a ton of growing pains and will struggle.
Still haven't said how this team is worse than last years (outside of LG)?

Flynn to Oakland for a 5th and conditional 5th

McCoy (and 6th) to San Fran for a 5th and a 7th

Old
04-01-2013, 04:50 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Still haven't said how this team is worse than last years (outside of LG)?

Flynn to Oakland for a 5th and conditional 5th

McCoy (and 6th) to San Fran for a 5th and a 7th
New coaching staff (which I did say). I don't care how good his schemes are, they're going to take time to implement and learn.

New quarterback. Kolb's an upgrade, but it's still a new person controlling everything. The team is going to have to get used to that, and they'll have to make in-season adjustments based on his game.

Rookies will be asked to play key roles. I'm guessing a starting WR and LB will be rookies, if not more.

Downgrade at offensive line. Kolb's a guy who needs good protection to be effective. Letting two good players go on the line isn't going to help that.

Old
04-01-2013, 04:56 PM
dma0034

Quote:
New coaching staff (which I did say). I don't care how good his schemes are, they're going to take time to implement and learn.

New quarterback. Kolb's an upgrade, but it's still a new person controlling everything. The team is going to have to get used to that, and they'll have to make in-season adjustments based on his game.

Rookies will be asked to play key roles. I'm guessing a starting WR and LB will be rookies, if not more.

Downgrade at offensive line. Kolb's a guy who needs good protection to be effective. Letting two good players go on the line isn't going to help that.
So you're just unsure of the unknown than? That's fair enough.... Seems like we just have the exact opposite view on that. The one thing I'll say though is Kolb doesn't need a lot of protection.... he needs some which he wasn't getting at all. No Running Game plus a weak O-Line left every Arizona QB screwed... either extra pressure was applied or Fitzgerald was triple teamed. He also did have respectable stats on those very Cardinals last year.

Old
04-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
So you're just unsure of the unknown than? That's fair enough.... Seems like we just have the exact opposite view on that. The one thing I'll say though is Kolb doesn't need a lot of protection.... he needs some which he wasn't getting at all. No Running Game plus a weak O-Line left every Arizona QB screwed... either extra pressure was applied or Fitzgerald was triple teamed. He also did have respectable stats on those very Cardinals last year.
Weak O-Line is an understatement That was possibly the worst offensive line of my lifetime. PFF had their starting tackles rated as the #1 and #2 worse tackles in the league. Only one of their linemen had a positive rating and it was only by the skin of his teeth. Running game woes were probably a combination of the line not being good + underwhelming backs + playing from behind/passing game woes, but the line was definitely the big detriment in the passing game.

Old
04-01-2013, 05:26 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Cards cut Skelton, if we want to try to bring arizona to buffalo even harder

Old
04-02-2013, 06:15 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post

I guess you have a point. For now i'm kind of meh. They have made a couple upgrades, cut some dead weight, brought in new personel and lost some decent components. I guess I just expect growing pains. Also aside from Pettine they are putting a lot of stock into Syracuse...no offense but the Big East outside of 3 other teams is horrid and when you compare it to the other power conferences their best aren't even on the same tier with some of the decent teams in other conferences.

I agree on Pettine....not sure on Marrone. ettine has the body of work at D-Cordinator to back it up. Marrone has never been an NFL Head Coach before.

Old
04-02-2013, 06:19 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
What the other guy said. It's just unbelieveable how the past 13 years feel the same, no improvement or regression. Same type of position every year just about. Hovering towards outside the bottom 10. They haven't figured out how to have a team of follies yet that are that embarassing. It's a shame really. the NFL is designed for every team to go about 8-8.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:35 AM
Takeo

Alan Branch visiting OBD today. I forgot all about him. He has experience in the hybrid D at the nose position.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Takeo

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 5m Alan Branch strikes a 1yr, $3M deal with the Bills. Can make another $350K in incentives

I like the signing. Sounds like he was plan B after DeVito. Branch frees up Dareus and Williams to play the ends. Critical to Pettine's D.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:11 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

I like the Branch signing.He was very hyped coming out of Michigan and was the 1st pick of the 2nd round.Hasn't really lived up to the hype but he is serviceable atleast.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:13 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Good signing for you guys. Little risk. I really liked him down the stretch and in the playoffs for Seattle.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
I like the Branch signing.He was very hyped coming out of Michigan and was the 1st pick of the 2nd round.Hasn't really lived up to the hype but he is serviceable atleast.
Agreed. He's the best NT on the roster and should do a decent job on rush downs. I thought they may take a DE in the draft, but the line is looking very solid now. Carrington is great staying as a utility, depth player. He was originally drafted for the 3-4 front.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:19 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

An actual NT? In Buffalo? What's going on, what year is this?

Old
04-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Takeo

Quote:
An actual NT? In Buffalo? What's going on, what year is this?
2005?

Branch played in all but 1 game over the past 4 seasons. And started all but 1 game for Seattle over the past 2 seasons.

Closed Thread