HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Trade Deadline | Part VI: Crafton's Def Deadline Poetry Jam

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2013, 05:55 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

vCash: 500
There'd be more than enough cap room to re-sign Iggy and fill out the roster, people. Particularly if we move Orpik this summer.

The defense pipeline is overstocked and ready for more responsibility at the NHL level. Guys like Despres and Bortuzzo should be pushing a pricey, declining, mistake-prone asset like Orpik out of a job here.

Old
04-01-2013, 05:55 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutCracker View Post
I hope we re-sign Iggy as fast as possible. 5mil/4y, get it done
Yeah, I agree. I doubt it happens until June at the earliest though. Shero needs to figure out what it's going to cost to keep Letang and Malkin long-term and then crunch the numbers to see what he can offer Iginla. I think we can squeeze Iggy in at somewhere between 5 and 5.5 for 3 or 4 years. We'd have to trade Glass and go cheap on the 4th line next year and the year after we'd have to let someone like Orpik and/or Kunitz go to free cap space for when Malkin and Letang's new deals kick in.

Old
04-01-2013, 05:56 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
This is also a tryout of sorts. Both ways. On paper it seems like an amazing match, but I am sure that Iginla wants to have at least this season and post season to see if it is how he imagined it to be here. The Pens as well may want to see how well he gels and if he is the solution when he actually begins playing. No one should have expected any contract talks until the season/post season ends.
It'll happen, Sid alone will make him stay...playing with him will basically be a dream come true and Iginla will play like never before, right now I'm not worrying bout it

Old
04-01-2013, 05:57 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Would be stoked to get Iggy signed. Debating getting a jersey would be over and it'd be on it's way immediately.

I don't feel like we need to make any more moves. Let's just sit and get everyone healthy and build some chemistry.

Old
04-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Jaded-Fan

A 4 year deal would make a lot of sense given Iginla's comments about wanting to play 5 more years. That last year can be a retirement one with Calgary.

As for how to pay for it? I have thought that Orpik was due to be moved anyways, given what we have in the pipeline and the need to get some of the talented kids on defense some time to develop in the NHL. Niskanen's development and age makes him a more valuable keep at this point.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:00 PM
leafspensfan

I signed him to a 3yr 5mill per on NHL 13 if that makes us feel better

Joking of course

Old
04-01-2013, 06:00 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
It'll happen, Sid alone will make him stay...playing with him will basically be a dream come true and Iginla will play like never before, right now I'm not worrying bout it
Yeah, I do think Sid will have a lot of say in this matter. If he wants Iggy back then Shero will do what he has to do to make that happen. Iggy sounded very disappointed when asked about Sid being out. He wouldn't mentioned playing together. He just mentioned how he had been looking forward to being around him in the locker room etc. But you just get that feeling listening to Sid and Iggy that those two guys desperately want to play together even if they won't admit it.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:02 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Yeah, I do think Sid will have a lot of say in this matter. If he wants Iggy back then Shero will do what he has to do to make that happen. Iggy sounded very disappointed when asked about Sid being out. He wouldn't mentioned playing together. He just mentioned how he had been looking forward to being around him in the locker room etc. But you just get that feeling listening to Sid and Iggy that those two guys desperately want to play together even if they won't admit it.
Exactly, Sid can use that as leverage

All kidding aside, I know Sid will be able to convince him, they both want to play together and what better way to end Iginla's career with multiple Cup runs with the best player in the world

Old
04-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Wow. So figure 1-2 of those 5 belong to Calgary, and it lines up just right. Sign with the Pens for 3 years, try to win as many Cups as you can, go home to Calgary (hopefully to a more competitive team) and retire a happy man.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

i bet he doesn't retire from Calgary. how often do players actually leave a team like that and then go back to retire?

Old
04-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

About as often as a star player stays with one team for 16 years. This is just a Cup hunt for him, not looking for a new home IMO. But we'll see.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
About as often as a star player stays with one team for 16 years. This is just a Cup hunt for him, not looking for a new home IMO. But we'll see.
some examples of players leaving and then going back to retire? If the team is actually doing well, would they even want to go back and dwell on history?

Old
04-01-2013, 06:12 PM
PensFan68

I'd rather wait and see how Iginla plays before we think about signing him.

I'm one of the very few here who still likes Orpik and wants him around, but I think it's either him or Murray. If Murray is signed, Orpik could be gone on draft day.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
i bet he doesn't retire from Calgary. how often do players actually leave a team like that and then go back to retire?
Agreed. I can see him doing a 1 day contract like some other guys have, but my money is on Iggy being a Penguin for the rest of his career.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:13 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Wow. So figure 1-2 of those 5 belong to Calgary, and it lines up just right. Sign with the Pens for 3 years, try to win as many Cups as you can, go home to Calgary (hopefully to a more competitive team) and retire a happy man.
I would bet dimes to dollars that is Iginla's plan.

I would think that he would be looking for 4 years with the Pens and 1 with the Flames. I also think that he might give some salary back to make it happen. He has made a LOT of money over 16 years. His last contract was something like 35 million alone, wasn't it? He clearly wants to go out with his best chance at a cup/cups and playing with an elite center and elite team. Do you really think that he will quibble over a million dollars if it keeps the team together? $4 million per for 4 years.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Sideline

Quote:
I would bet dimes to dollars that is Iginla's plan.

I would think that he would be looking for 4 years with the Pens and 1 with the Flames. I also think that he might give some salary back to make it happen. He has made a LOT of money over 16 years. His last contract was something like 35 million alone, wasn't it? He clearly wants to go out with his best chance at a cup/cups and playing with an elite center and elite team. Do you really think that he will quibble over a million dollars if it keeps the team together? $4 million per for 4 years.
http://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/search...earchdbdisplay

He's made almost $70m in his career.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:41 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

#sabres Jason Pominville should give tonight or Tuesday morning a list of 8 teams were he does NOT want to play. #RDS
https://mobile.twitter.com/RenLavoie...55197562650626

Old
04-01-2013, 06:44 PM
plaidchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
#sabres Jason Pominville should give tonight or Tuesday morning a list of 8 teams were he does NOT want to play. #RDS
Pominville to Bruins probably? I know that'd be an inter-division trade but Boston has got to want someone considering the egg on their face after the Iginla trade.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:50 PM
On Vinyl
Oh Danny Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
Pominville to Bruins probably? I know that'd be an inter-division trade but Boston has got to want someone considering the egg on their face after the Iginla trade.
It would probably have to be a better offer than the Khoko, Bartkowski, 1st offer they had for Iggy since Pominville is younger and signed for one more year after this one. Maybe they would include Subban since Miller has been rumored to be on the block?

Old
04-01-2013, 06:51 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Pominville is a captain, no?

You know where they go.........

Old
04-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Pominville is a captain, no?

You know where they go.........

Old
04-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Was just about to ask. Any interest in Pominville?

Where would he even fit?

Old
04-01-2013, 07:00 PM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Won't it be awkward when Buffalo is on the list?

If the Bruins pursue him the price will be way higher than the one for Iginla since Pominville has another year left on his contract. It's a $5.3M cap hit next year, what's Boston's cap situation like? I thought I remembered reading that they were right up against it next year.

Old
04-01-2013, 07:01 PM
On Vinyl
Oh Danny Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Was just about to ask. Any interest in Pominville?

Where would he even fit?
It would likely take more than what we can give. He is their captain, signed through next year, and had 73 points last year. Probably high end prospect + 1st at least in this market.

Old
04-01-2013, 07:02 PM
leafspensfan

So Kipper is going to be on the move it seems...

Closed Thread