HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Act II: 27-18-3 Playoffs!!!....we talkin about Playoffs??!?!

Old
04-01-2013, 02:50 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
One thing I noticed with AO on the RW is that when he gets the puck passed to him coming out of their dzone he'll immediate pass the puck to one of his linemates while still in the neutral zone so he's not collapsed up immediately.
Something he couldnt do from his backhand on the left. Forehand touch passing on the right side

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Atlas

Semin would be a great LW with Ovie on the RW.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:51 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Yep. It's back to thinking "goal" every time he has the puck instead of "turnover". "It"'s back. What's even better is that ever since, Backstrom has seemed to start to come around too. Now they just need a LH power forward for that top line. Someone with some finish.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:52 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Semin would be a great LW with Ovie on the RW.
Never heard of him.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:53 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
If this is the kind of approach they're going for they'd need a skilled fast LW who isn't a possession killer and can take some punishment. Tanguay would be ideal, MacArthur could probably shine as well even though I'm not a big fan of him. He's played more wings though, so that could probably be more advantageous when Ovechkin decided to criss-cross mid shift like he does quite often.
Murmurs (by some Bruins posters) are that Lucic may be too pricy for Boston's taste (not that they don't have the cap room; they just don't want to pay him quite that much).

Old
04-01-2013, 02:57 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
It's easy to look at snapshots of the season, ignore the worst parts, and have hope, but he's back when he's actually back and among the handful of top players for a full season.

He's 6th in goals, was 12th a goal ago...so I'm not going around boasting that he's "back" just yet. He needs to do it for an entire year to back that up IMO. Certainly things are looking better, but he's got a lot to prove. Hopefully he's now got a chip on his shoulder and will be motivated to do so beyond this season.
I think he's passed the 'eye-test' for being back for nearly the whole season, save the very beginning. Just observing that the game logs seem to reflect what my eyes have told me.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:58 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Murmurs (by some Bruins posters) are that Lucic may be too pricy for Boston's taste (not that they don't have the cap room; they just don't want to pay him quite that much).
No chance.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 03:00 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
No chance.
Just passing along the info. That was my reaction as well.

As far as guys who might actually be available, Mason Raymond would be a decent fit. Jagr would be an excellent stopgap if people could get over their ********, though I don't know if he has the speed you were looking for. And if the rumors about Lauri Korpikoski being available are true, I'd think you have to take a look there.

Old
04-01-2013, 03:01 PM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Don't see it, he's got Ovechkin like pull there. The merchandise alone he sells makes it worth.

Even if he is available I really don't see how we could possibly be in line to get him given our potential status as semi-rivals unless we really overpay. And for all his reputation he's not an end-all be all as the playoffs have shown repeatedly.

Halpysback* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 03:09 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
If I were the GM of this team, I'd would do everything to get Lucic here. EVERYTHING!

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Carlzner

Tanguay would be a fit if we weren't a terrible team.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Halpysback*

Tanguay's been a great fit on a terrible team for the past 3 years

Old
04-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Halpysback*

Also, we're making the playoffs. Fortunately or not. This is a fact. We got a point out of the game despite all the hysteria. 2 points out and everyone sucks more than we do. Tank would have been great but some things just aren't meant to be.

May as well armor up a bit.

Old
04-01-2013, 03:58 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Also, we're making the playoffs. Fortunately or not. This is a fact. We got a point out of the game despite all the hysteria. 2 points out and everyone sucks more than we do.
I hope you're right. I, for one, am dying for us to make the playoffs. It's not just LAK last year, there are plenty of examples of lousy-looking teams going on postseason runs. Flyers reaching Finals three years ago comes to mind.

The bummer about the game last night wasn't just the point we left on the table, but the life we gave to PHI. That was a 3-point swing between the two teams, instead of us getting 2 and them 0, we got only 1 and they got 2. And suddenly they too are in the hunt, along with all the others.

If we were just 2 points out and battling only one or two other teams, I would be inclined to agree with you. But there are five damn teams within a point or two of each other, and some are actually playing pretty well, e.g. Isles. In this context, i see the Caps' chances as 50-50 at best. We could have put a nail in Flyer coffin last nite, but didn't.

At least Ovie is back.

Why didn't we dress Orlov? Esp. against physical team like Flyers, seems like it would have been no-brainer. I'm assuming physicality of opponent is why 24 got a sweater.

In other news, talbot's injury from botched run on 52 was broken leg. Out indefinitely. Amazing how team's fortunes can change in a day or two. Pens went from kings of the world (win streak, best player in league, 3 significant new acquisitions) to bad-luck Charlies. Reminds me of the Winter Classic year, when we were in midst of atrocious losing streak and then all of a sudden, we won the Classic and 87 was out for the year.

One thing about Ovie - knock on wood - he has been more durable than 87 and 71. (#RMNB) That counts in his favor. Also, he is following same pattern as last year. Torid second half to sneak his way into top-5 in goals.

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:01 PM
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!

Ovi gearing up for Sochi. Let's hope the same post-Olympics swoon doesn't happen again.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
I hope you're right. I, for one, am dying for us to make the playoffs. It's not just LAK last year, there are plenty of examples of lousy-looking teams going on postseason runs. Flyers reaching Finals three years ago comes to mind.

The bummer about the game last night wasn't just the point we left on the table, but the life we gave to PHI. That was a 3-point swing between the two teams, instead of us getting 2 and them 0, we got only 1 and they got 2. And suddenly they too are in the hunt, along with all the others.

If we were just 2 points out and battling only one or two other teams, I would be inclined to agree with you. But there are five damn teams within a point or two of each other, and some are actually playing pretty well, e.g. Isles. In this context, i see the Caps' chances as 50-50 at best. We could have put a nail in Flyer coffin last nite, but didn't.

At least Ovie is back.

Why didn't we dress Orlov? Esp. against physical team like Flyers, seems like it would have been no-brainer. I'm assuming physicality of opponent is why 24 got a sweater.

In other news, talbot's injury from botched run on 52 was broken leg. Out indefinitely. Amazing how team's fortunes can change in a day or two. Pens went from kings of the world (win streak, best player in league, 3 significant new acquisitions) to bad-luck Charlies. Reminds me of the Winter Classic year, when we were in midst of atrocious losing streak and then all of a sudden, we won the Classic and 87 was out for the year.

One thing about Ovie - knock on wood - he has been more durable than 87 and 71. (#RMNB) That counts in his favor. Also, he is following same pattern as last year. Torid second half to sneak his way into top-5 in goals.
They're making it. All this hand-wringing is just like last year after they gave away the Buffalo game and half this board was on suicide watch and Knuble laughed about it and said it was no big deal. We're in basically the same spot. They outplay teams for the most part and then lose because of dumb little mistakes here and there. Not a mark of a good team but those kinds of teams make the playoffs, especially the way things are going.

Whether this is a good or a bad thing I'm not sure. Either way we're not getting a top 7 pick anymore pretty much no matter what unless Feaster trades down at the draft to draft some blankowski or other.

Old
04-01-2013, 04:08 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
If I were the GM of this team, I'd would do everything to get Lucic here. EVERYTHING!

Assuming Lucic is healthy and having his usual kick-ass year I'd give up a lung to have him on these team. I'd trade Brouwer and next year's #1 for Lucic. Might not be enough. And I'd only do it if we signed him for 4-5 years. Green and Brouwer? Green + or #1 in 2014?

We're dreaming. They wouldn't trade him to us.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Liberati0n*

Lucic is overrated. Not that I wouldn't want him...it just would take a ridiculous overpayment to get him.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:40 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 50
Thanks for making the Halpys Notes, Cliff.

Interesting advanced touch theory to keep Ovi looking at the positives. I still laugh that when Ovi wanted to bail back to LW Oates put him with Beagle and Crabb. What a balls move that was.

Perhaps Orlov has been scratched of late to rest his shoulder. Or noggin.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:43 PM
Vladiator16*

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post

At least Ovie is back.

I was wondering the same thing... Don't know if we can hang it on GMGM, I think thats on coaching... playing 55 in the most important game of the season and then in most crucial time (last PK and last few min) of the game?! Stupid, just ****ing stupid.

Vladiator16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Monsterrain

55 is such a badass.

http://youtu.be/CYN8aq0x0Z0

Monsterrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:20 PM
txpd

Quote:
Just passing along the info. That was my reaction as well..
this falls well into the same talk around here about trading green and semin when their value was high. lucic is having a hideous season but is just about the face of the franchise.

on the other hand the boston gm is competent where mcphee is not. maybe he will trade off lucic.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:26 PM
kicksavedave
yeahright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterrain View Post
55 is such a badass.

http://youtu.be/CYN8aq0x0Z0
Almost makes Semin's bongo session seem manly.

kicksavedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:28 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Assuming Lucic is healthy and having his usual kick-ass year I'd give up a lung to have him on these team. I'd trade Brouwer and next year's #1 for Lucic. Might not be enough. And I'd only do it if we signed him for 4-5 years. Green and Brouwer? Green + or #1 in 2014?

We're dreaming. They wouldn't trade him to us.
how about with him having a terrible season? he has 1 goal in his last 19 games. he is also signed. in the year of a 3 year $6m per contract.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Halpysback*

We have no choice but to assume it's the new norm for him. Just like Ovechkin's 8 game goalless streak correctly foreshadowed him becoming a 30 point grinder, and every time Semin didn't register a point in a game it correctly foreshadowed him becoming a euro minor league dropout.

Schultzy though, that man is just going through growing pains is all.