HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers sign D Tommy Hughes

Old
04-01-2013, 12:42 PM
gravey9

vCash: 500
If you look at the Rangers organizational depth at D. It's very thin. Only McIlrath and Klassen in the A are draftees. The rest of vets or guys like Parlett. They need to keep infusing CT with kids that they're trying to develop into NHL talent. Not to mention, they only have around 4 defensemen on the NHL roster that will have a spot next next season for sure. So, they're very, very thin. I wish they could find a few more offensive minded D out there as well. Outside of a long-shot in Andersson - there's no offense to be found.

gravey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravey9 View Post
If you look at the Rangers organizational depth at D. It's very thin. Only McIlrath and Klassen in the A are draftees. The rest of vets or guys like Parlett. They need to keep infusing CT with kids that they're trying to develop into NHL talent. Not to mention, they only have around 4 defensemen on the NHL roster that will have a spot next next season for sure. So, they're very, very thin. I wish they could find a few more offensive minded D out there as well. Outside of a long-shot in Andersson - there's no offense to be found.
Klassen was never drafted by anyone undrafted UFA was signed to NHL contract but regressed to an AHL contract.. doubt he makes it.... only if Rangers convinced Valentenko to stay in North America and if tried to sign Pashin....

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:03 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Sam Noreau is that Erskine type.
Yeah. Hoping he pans out.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:07 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Klassen was never drafted by anyone undrafted UFA was signed to NHL contract but regressed to an AHL contract.. doubt he makes it.... only if Rangers convinced Valentenko to stay in North America and if tried to sign Pashin....
Didn't seem like Torts cared very much for Valentenko and maybe I'm wrong but I get the idea that Pashnin has burned his bridges with Sather. In either case they might not be good enough anyway. Beacon's commentary on Klassen throughout this season have very positive. He takes care of his own end first and has proven to be very reliable at what he does. Coaches look for consistency.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:40 PM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
now an official report on this signing....

Quote:
#NYR announce signing of London (OHL) D Tommy Hughes.
Andrew Gross (twitter) @AGrossRecord

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Shouldn't the prefix change and sticky?

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
Shouldn't the prefix change and sticky?
Indeed it should.

Anticipating us to outscore the 07 Sabres with this move.

04-01-2013, 05:42 PM
16 To Stanley*

Don't know why people are complaining about this move. Seems like a good low risk, potential reward player. If he turns into a Girardi or Erskine type it's a steal. If not, move on.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:58 PM
JL17

I wouldn't put him in the mold of Erskine. Hughes is much more mobile but not even in the same bracket as Erskine when it comes to toughness. I've been hoping he'd get a deal. If you want to compare him to someone my thought is Marc Methot of the Sens. IMO almost the same player only difference is Methot is better with the puck.

I've watched Hughes with the Knights for the last 4 years(seasons ticket holder). He's a great partner for an offensive defensemen.

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:03 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
I wouldn't put him in the mold of Erskine. Hughes is much more mobile but not even in the same bracket as Erskine when it comes to toughness. I've been hoping he'd get a deal. If you want to compare him to someone my thought is Marc Methot of the Sens. IMO almost the same player only difference is Methot is better with the puck.

I've watched Hughes with the Knights for the last 4 years(seasons ticket holder). He's a great partner for an offensive defensemen.
if he turns out to be a Methot type, i wouldnt mind that. lets hope he makes it...

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:07 PM
NYRFANMANI
beyond good and evil

I think in NHL 11, he became really good ...

NYRFANMANI is offline   Reply With Quote