HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Roster Speculation Part V: Report - Pominville asked for his NTC list of 8

Old
04-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameMisconduct View Post
I think it's more along the lines of seeing someone like him go while some of the other players who exemplify what's wrong here stay (I'm looking at you Nancy). Say what you want about Poms (and he is clearly not having a great season), overall he's a talented player who produces consistently, isn't a diva, and almost always puts forth an effort .

He's an easy whipping boy for many because he doesn't fit the stereotypical mold of a captain that some have and he doesn't play the fan favorite hitting game etc. Some people have never gotten over him being named captain instead of Vanek. He's also an even keeled not to down not to up sort of personality and this combined with the fact that he ends up being the person giving the interviews in a crappy season means he gets more than his share of blame.

I think he's a very good player and good individual who does stuff the right way and does what he's asked to as well as he can without the sulking, etc. I also don't believe he's a great captain, but I don't think there is a player on this roster who has the makings of a great captain, though one or two might down the road.

There are far bigger problems on the roster than having Jason Pomminville on it. I think he's a valuable piece who can bring a lot going forward if he stays. He produces with whoever he is with (occasional slumps aside) can play in all situations (certainly he's better defensively than he's showed this year) and he's rarely injured.

I wouldn't be upset if he were replaced as captain and I would be damn happy to see him swapped off the point on the PP, but I'd miss a player like him more than I have most who are no longer in blue and gold.

I understand re-tooling and I'm a fan of the sweater so I'll adjust, but I definitely understand the sentiment. If they clearly get better as a result and jettison some of the other ballast, I can live with it.
I like Poms a lot, but I just think this is a time where things fall into place to move on. He's good but elite, so it's reasonable to move him if you can get a 1st + good prospect and try and move forward. He has 1 year left on his contract and it's unlikely the Sabres will be very good next year, in which case we'd likely be moving him at the next deadline anyhow. Having the team's 3 best (or 3 of the best) players up for contract next season is a dangerous situation. If we were going for a Cup then you look past that, but we aren't. The team needs to identify which if any of those 3 we should and can keep beyond next year, and the others need to be moved for the best return possible.

I won't be upset if he's not traded, in fact only a few days ago I predicted that he probably won't be. But if there's a good return out there I believe it's the smart move.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
What good does trading a 60-70pt, decent two-way player do? How does it make this team better?? It doesn't.

I sure hope if this is the case, the oft-injured, big money LW is on the block too.
Derek Roy says hello...

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:46 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Derek Roy says hello...
You're right, this team isn't as good without him either.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:47 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate View Post
What Lavoie is saying is that Pominville has been asked to submit his 8 team list. Lavoie seems to be saying nothing is imminent, but rather to simply explore the option of trading him, he needed the list.
I would assume Regier has a couple intriguing offers if he asks for it. Asking for his list doesn't mean a trade is coming, but it certainly changes things and lets Pommer know he's up on the block. In that case, it changes the relationship between Jason and the team in a big way. I'd guess there's a 75% chance they move him (depending, of course, on Darcy getting the return he wants).

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dma0034

vCash: 600
Quote:
Derek Roy says hello...
Sabres look like complete **** this year.... weren't this awful last year. Derek Roy says hello

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Pominville doesn't get to "waive"

The No trade list is all they need to move him.

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
pretty much this
I get it and I actually agree...

But there is a major factor that changes everything for me: Pominville is the captain. He's a terrible captain and I don't know if they can go back on that. It's kind of unfair to Jason. He shouldn't have been made captain and he shouldn't be on the point for the powerplay. But it's the reality if the situation.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:48 PM
LGB24

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 8m
#sabres Jason Pominville should give tonight or Tuesday morning a list of 8 teams were he does NOT want to play. #RDS

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:49 PM
LGB24

wow, Im way behind

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

The 13-14 Sabres will be worse than this years team.

But maybe the 14-15 team will have a chance to win a playoff round, unlike the team under Captain Pominville

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:50 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
I would assume Regier has a couple intriguing offers if he asks for it. Asking for his list doesn't mean a trade is coming, but it certainly changes things and lets Pommer know he's up on the block. In that case, it changes the relationship between Jason and the team in a big way. I'd guess there's a 75% chance they move him (depending, of course, on Darcy getting the return he wants).
Right, it doesn't mean anything other than Darcy's entertaining offers. Getting the list as early as possible is ideal because you don't want something to leak about a possible deal that's being discussed and then Pom makes his list and adds the team he's heard the rumors about.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:50 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
You're right, this team isn't as good without him either.
So you were wrong to want him gone?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:51 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
My thoughts as well, but I'll add that I think trading the big three is unnecessary because a quicker re-tool can be accomplished before their production slides. At the very least, there is time to see how this deadline and summer pan out and how next season goes before having to commit another contract to them. The difference between their return now and next deadline is not going to be very much, and they may even be more attractive as pending UFAs next season since they'll demand cap space that will be hard for GMs to deal with if acquired now.

For me there's nothing personal about it, I just think other moves can be made first. If one of them are traded by Wednesday, I'll just hope that a very good return comes in the shape of top prospects that are NHL ready. I'd hate to simply get draft picks that are too much of a risk to bust.
You're under the impression they're re-tooling. They're not, they're rebuilding. If they were simply trying to re-tool this roster, they'd be keeping Miller, Pominville and Vanek no matter what.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:53 PM
sba

Quote:
So you were wrong to want him gone?
Not necessarily. I don't think he's a good example. Different situations. Roy had off the ice drama and maturity problems.

But the point of them not being any better without him is accurate.

I'd trade Vanek before Pominville, that's just me though.

Old
04-01-2013, 05:53 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Y'all were wrong to want Roy gone.

drinking bleach irl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:58 PM
SatanwasaSlovak

Trading Miller without getting a NHL-goalie in return is just stupid.

Trading away Pominville is also stupid, trading away Vanek is even more stupid unless we get some really good players in return. But people have such high beliefs that draftpicks make a contender-team. See you in three years and let's which player you want out of here and how all of you are screaming for rebuild and trainers/gm fired.

Ugly...

SatanwasaSlovak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
Y'all were wrong to want Roy gone.
Why? So we could make the playoffs for another one and done? Trading Roy helped this team suck more so that we can rebuild. I am glad we are rid of Roy.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:00 PM
sba

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatanwasaSlovak View Post
See you in three years and let's which player you want out of here and how all of you are screaming for rebuild and trainers/gm fired.

Ugly...
Here's the list, I already know it:

1) Ennis
2) Armia (bold prediction)
3) Myers
4) Pysyk (he'll be like a Sekera where people will gush about his advanced stats)

Old
04-01-2013, 06:02 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
You're under the impression they're re-tooling. They're not, they're rebuilding. If they were simply trying to re-tool this roster, they'd be keeping Miller, Pominville and Vanek no matter what.
Re-tool, rebuild...whatever. My point is that even a rebuild can take 1-2 seasons these days. Teams can go from also-ran to playoffs with a simple coaching change...which Buffalo just so happened to make. For all we know Rolston (or another coach) could make a big difference with a full training camp. There are several variables, but right now a bunch of frustrated fans want the most and fastest changes possible. They all might not be necessary and there's time to make some changes in an order, not all at once.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:03 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatanwasaSlovak View Post
Trading Miller without getting a NHL-goalie in return is just stupid.

Trading away Pominville is also stupid, trading away Vanek is even more stupid unless we get some really good players in return. But people have such high beliefs that draftpicks make a contender-team. See you in three years and let's which player you want out of here and how all of you are screaming for rebuild and trainers/gm fired.

Ugly...
What is your solution? These players have had ample opportunity to attempt to achieve things in Buffalo, they've done nothing. Oh we won a divisional championship, okay, I take back what I said let's keep them.

Again, I ask what is your solution?? Acquiring high draft picks is the best way to achieve true high impact, game breaking players.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
Re-tool, rebuild...whatever. My point is that even a rebuild can take 1-2 seasons these days. Teams can go from also-ran to playoffs with a simple coaching change...which Buffalo just so happened to make. For all we know Rolston (or another coach) could make a big difference with a full training camp. There are several variables, but right now a bunch of frustrated fans want the most and fastest changes possible. They all might not be necessary and there's time to make some changes in an order, not all at once.
Except playoffs aren't the goal. This roster, and many more similar to it, have made the playoffs and completely flopped. To me and plenty others, it's fairly obvious this roster isn't making any kind of noise in the playoffs, regardless who their coach might be. They need changes, and they're not really a tweak or two away from making any kind of run for the cup.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:06 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
Trading Roy helped this team suck more so that we can rebuild. I am glad we are rid of Roy.
Hahahaha alright I can respect this

drinking bleach irl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:08 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
What is your solution? These players have had ample opportunity to attempt to achieve things in Buffalo, they've done nothing. Oh we won a divisional championship, okay, I take back what I said let's keep them.

Again, I ask what is your solution?? Acquiring high draft picks is the best way to achieve true high impact, game breaking players.
1) No three players on any team can carry a sack of garbage behind them to a SC.

2) Draft picks are a crap shoot. Trading partners for the big three right now will be contenders (ie - late 1st rd picks) meaning more chance of busting out with their picks. If they're traded the return should be top NHL ready prospects, no guesswork required.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:08 PM
Revelate

The Roy trade would have been good but Regier forgot the second part.

Revelate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Except playoffs aren't the goal. This roster, and many more similar to it, have made the playoffs and completely flopped. To me and plenty others, it's fairly obvious this roster isn't making any kind of noise in the playoffs, regardless who their coach might be. They need changes, and they're not really a tweak or two away from making any kind of run for the cup.
My point remains regardless of semantics. Teams can turn it around without throwing the baby out with the bath water.