HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Who is Eklund???

Old
08-15-2006, 05:34 PM
frederixx

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post
There's this fabulous thing on the intermanet called Google Search. There's even a search feature on this very website. Insane, I know!

Please consider that if there were just 20 posters like you taking up boardspace with silly questions every day this site would be most undesirable.

You may also consider something crazy like replying to an existing thread where you see Eklund's name in.
good that there are only a few people like you on these forums, mr. internet!

frederixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 05:35 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDFA View Post
You are absolutely right, it's the fact that Eklund doesn't predict the stuff that actually happens which means he makes things up.
non sequitur

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 05:45 PM
Nobak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
non sequitur
Plus, the premise is false to begin with. He does get some right. His detractors don't talk about it because it doesn't go in their favor.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 07:00 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobak View Post
Plus, the premise is false to begin with. He does get some right. His detractors don't talk about it because it doesn't go in their favor.
Could you please name some? Besides the obvious ones like Hasek which I could have guessed 3 months ago.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 08:31 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertonhabsfan View Post
hey guys,sorry for the stupid question here, but, who is Eklund and what does he do that people here consider him a source? or what credentials does he have?
the question is good because after reading 2 pages of this thread , i realise that it seems that most of the people don't really know who he is .

someone gave you the link to his career stats , when he was playing for the Flyers .His name is Pelle Eklund , and he played 9 seasons in the NHL .

He still likes the hockey , works or worked with hockey medias . He 's now having a blog where he try to share all the infos he could get , talking with a lot of people that are insiders .

He likes to give breaking news , so is probably guessing a good number , so it's difficult to know at what point he 's legitime .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 08:37 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
someone gave you the link to his career stats , when he was playing for the Flyers .His name is Pelle Eklund , and he played 9 seasons in the NHL .
Please tell me that you don't trully think Eklund is Pelle Eklund.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 08:57 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDFA View Post
Could you please name some? Besides the obvious ones like Hasek which I could have guessed 3 months ago.
Elias, Gerber, Weight, J. Ruutu, R.Blake, Mason among others.
As for Hasek maybe you could have got it 3 months ago....but he got it hours before. The closer you are to the actual event...the less likely it's a guess.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 09:05 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
As for Hasek maybe you could have got it 3 months ago....but he got it hours before. The closer you are to the actual event...the less likely it's a guess.
Are you Eklund?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 09:13 PM
Agalloch

Quote:
Greg Johnson too, if I remember correctly.

Agalloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 09:36 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Are you Eklund?
What ? Because I know some of the signings he got right?

Old
08-15-2006, 10:01 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

"Hot off the Rumor Mill. Word that the Islanders are trying to get local defenseman, Mike Komisarek from the Canadiens. Word is that the Canadiens may be freeing up some money for either Carter or Dumont...my guess is Dumont. Komisarek was a first round pick and an out-and-out star at U of Michigan...He hails from West Islip, on Long Island."
Eklund clearly associates the cutting of salary with Mike Komisarek. And he hears this from 2 sources???? lol

Old
08-15-2006, 10:28 PM
Slick Nick

astrologist, part time hockey rumorist.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 10:33 PM
bayrider

Quote:
I'm not calling Eklund a liar, but I remember an instance close to the begining of the UFA eligibility date where I was scanning through his blog ot see if there was any new news that maybe TSN had missed or was slow to report. There was nothing. Then a big signing broke through (I think it might have been Arnott) about 15mins later, and it was instantly all over the big sites like RDS, TSN, Sportsnet etc. I went back to Eklunds site to see if he had got the trade, and to my amazement, it was there, postmarked 2-3hrs prior, but I had not seen it when I made the visit to his site 15mins ago.

Now I'm not saying he's a liar, and I'm not saying I'm 100% right because my memory is faded, but I'm under the impression that he also backdates some of his postings.

As for Eklund himself, he does NOT work for Team 990. He's been on air a few times during (you guessed it) PJ Stock's show. He has some inside info but some people think he's in close contact with all 30GM's. As far as I know, he knows a few player agents.

bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 10:52 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayrider View Post
I'm not calling Eklund a liar, but I remember an instance close to the begining of the UFA eligibility date where I was scanning through his blog ot see if there was any new news that maybe TSN had missed or was slow to report. There was nothing. Then a big signing broke through (I think it might have been Arnott) about 15mins later, and it was instantly all over the big sites like RDS, TSN, Sportsnet etc. I went back to Eklunds site to see if he had got the trade, and to my amazement, it was there, postmarked 2-3hrs prior, but I had not seen it when I made the visit to his site 15mins ago.

Now I'm not saying he's a liar, and I'm not saying I'm 100% right because my memory is faded, but I'm under the impression that he also backdates some of his postings.

As for Eklund himself, he does NOT work for Team 990. He's been on air a few times during (you guessed it) PJ Stock's show. He has some inside info but some people think he's in close contact with all 30GM's. As far as I know, he knows a few player agents.
Bobby Clark should hire him.

Old
08-15-2006, 11:27 PM
HCH

Eklund talks about possibilities and if any of the detractors on this thread would ever bother to listen to him, they would realize that.

Since all possibilities can't come to fruition, detractors focus on those that don't and call Eklund a fraud. Was it a fraud when he said that Arnott was a possibility for Montreal. Of course not. Gainey wanted Arnott but lost out to Nashville.

The entire player personnel issue is a fluid situation. The fact that Arnott signed in Nashville changed a lot of thing for a lot of teams. That leads Eklund to the next possibility, which may or may not come to fruition and with every signing, the landscape changes. None of this makes Eklund a fraud.

Whether his possibilities are a result of information from other, from his own deductions or a little of both doesn't really matter. He even quantifies his comments with his e1, e2.... rating system.

Give me Eklund's comments over those that keep saying I hate this player or I hate that player. At least his comments are constructive.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 11:30 PM
SpreeEndaz

It is a word game: henriEKLUNDqvist, Henriek Lundqvist the NYR goalie. Word is that he likes hiding in his case in the locker room to listen to the coach chit-chatting with Tom Poti (everyone knows Poti is a big-mouth) about what's happening in the GM world.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 12:13 AM
Anthony P

I have to agree that some of what Eklund says is really stupid....almost illogical at times.... his main problem is that he passes rumours on as certainties.... I fully think that he does have some contacts and that at times he does hear that certain players' agents are talking to certain GM's..... if he'd simply state it like that, it wouldn't be a problem rather than saying such and such player is going to such and such a team.....

Apart from that, there aren't many rumour websites that actually have a high hit percentage anyway.... just like every rumour, you have to take it with a grain of salt.... rather than thinking it will happen, you have to look at it from the perspective that a certain player and a team are communicating.... maybe the deal falls through, maybe it doesn't.... but that doesn't mean something is not going on behind the scene....

Anthony P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 12:23 AM
NORiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
I have to agree that some of what Eklund says is really stupid....almost illogical at times.... his main problem is that he passes rumours on as certainties.... I fully think that he does have some contacts and that at times he does hear that certain players' agents are talking to certain GM's..... if he'd simply state it like that, it wouldn't be a problem rather than saying such and such player is going to such and such a team.....
That is probably why he has added his e1-e5 code to the rhumors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
Apart from that, there aren't many rumour websites that actually have a high hit percentage anyway.... just like every rumour, you have to take it with a grain of salt.... rather than thinking it will happen, you have to look at it from the perspective that a certain player and a team are communicating.... maybe the deal falls through, maybe it doesn't.... but that doesn't mean something is not going on behind the scene....
That IS what a rhumor is.

Take the Arnott rhumor. Was Eklund right? yes Did it happend? no

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 12:54 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by briste View Post
Eklund talks about possibilities and if any of the detractors on this thread would ever bother to listen to him, they would realize that.

Since all possibilities can't come to fruition, detractors focus on those that don't and call Eklund a fraud. Was it a fraud when he said that Arnott was a possibility for Montreal. Of course not. Gainey wanted Arnott but lost out to Nashville.

The entire player personnel issue is a fluid situation. The fact that Arnott signed in Nashville changed a lot of thing for a lot of teams. That leads Eklund to the next possibility, which may or may not come to fruition and with every signing, the landscape changes. None of this makes Eklund a fraud.

Whether his possibilities are a result of information from other, from his own deductions or a little of both doesn't really matter. He even quantifies his comments with his e1, e2.... rating system.

Give me Eklund's comments over those that keep saying I hate this player or I hate that player. At least his comments are constructive.
There is no evidence that he is doing more than guessing.

Old
08-16-2006, 12:56 AM
NORiculous

Quote:
There is no evidence that he is doing more than guessing.
Actually there is but it dates from the lockout when BM said Eklund had connections.

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 06:22 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
Please tell me that you don't trully think Eklund is Pelle Eklund.
No ! i don't

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 08:36 AM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:

Like the other guy said, you have absolutely no proof that Eklund isn't just guessing. It's the stupid stuff he says like the Canes are interested in Boucher when we just signed John Grahame that makes him look like an idiot.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 09:57 AM
Squeaky

Quote:
Bob Mackenzie said that Eky exists and that he was more plugged in during the strike and less so now. Bob did not say anything to my knowledge about the quality of the rumours or if he believed that Eklund makes them up.
Bob was actually just posting to confirm that Eklund has media credentials, which I guess technically makes him a journalist. Hang on, I'll find the actual post, shouldn't be hard, since MacKenzie doesn't post a whole lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMckenzie View Post
Everyone is free to have whatever opinion they want to have of Eklund, or anyone else for that matter, including myself, but if there are people suggesting he fabricated being at the Stanley Cup final as an accredited media member, I can tell you that he was there and accredited. He was in Carolina, he was in Edmonton. I saw him, I talked to him, quite a nice fellow.

Funny story. Sitting around having the media meal before a game in Carolina. An Edmonton radio guy was talking about stuff in general and then started to talk about "that guy who posts rumors on a website" and took a few shots at him even though he couldn't remember his name. Two people at the table knew who the radio guy was talking about -- me and Eklund. I didn't say anything because I didn't want to embarrass him. At first, Eklund didn't say anything, then he said to the radio guy very nicely, "the guy you're talking about is called Eklund and that's me." He and the radio guy actually shared a few laughs and Eklund handled the situation quite well, I thought.

Like I said, you can like him, you can dislike, you can take his stuff as gospel or you can take it as b.s., that's up to you. But he is what he is and, I don't think he tries to be anything else. As a side note, I found him to be much better plugged in during the lockout than he is now, but I can also tell you I go to his site every day because he has good people blogging there. If you want a great daily report on the Flyers, for example, or the Italian soccer team Panaccio's blog is must read. Anyway, I find his site useful, for whatever that is worth and he seems to be a pretty decent fellow, for whatever that is worth.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 10:02 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayrider View Post

All his posts on the blog are timestamped. All those I mentioned were on his site before I could see it anywhere else including on HF boards as confirmed news.

Old
08-16-2006, 10:12 AM
bayrider

Quote:

Possibilities don't mean truth. Even rumors can be fake. Just because it's a rumor doesnt mean it should have any merit. There are TRUE rumors, and there are made up, fake rumors.

And the problem with mostpeople like you (i assume), is that they take these possibilities as truth and start obsessing over the thought, and even get defensive about a player signing or being traded here. It becomes a disease and the boards get hogged up by 10 posts of hypothetical situations and 1 post with substance regarding the Habs.

bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote