HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Updates in Post #1: Crosby (jaw) | Martin (hand) 4-6 weeks | Letang (toe) 1 week

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2013, 06:18 PM
Sutter16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
I'm one of the most optimistic people here as far as a return date for Sid, and I think that's pushing him a little too much

But really, April 17 is a perfect return date. Gives him 2 and a half weeks off, the team is coming off a 3 day break, it's a big home game against one of the top teams in the East, and he'll still get to play 6 more regular season games.
Yeah April 17th is when I see Sid coming back too.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:22 PM
plaidchuck

All depends on when he is cleared and how much pain he can play through in his mouth. I'd say being an inpatient for oral surgery isn't a good sign but we are talking about a jaw fracture.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:40 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
Sarcasm? Hospitals are sanitary soul sucking wormholes of despair, and I question whether some of them are even all that sanitary. I don't think it's a bad sign that Sid is still in there but I wouldn't be surprised if he's tying bedsheets together and planning to escape out a window.

"Hospitals are sanitary". Not sure where he got that one. Every door you touch, every everything is infected with something. Most ORs and certain other areas are sanitary but that's about as far as I'd take it. The halls, rooms, visiting areas are virulent pits of doom.

Let me introduce the world to my friend MRSA, found most commonly where? In hospitals and health clinics (gyms and lockerooms are also common hiding places).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methici...ococcus_aureus

It's ebola for the 1st world.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 04-01-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old
04-01-2013, 06:40 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcupever75 View Post
i dont have to, as i stated i see it everyday i go to work. and bottom line these patients on these liquid diets have trouble maintaining their weight (liquid diets/feeding tubes etc etc). go into that nursing home and im sure you'll see while patients may be getting their nutrients they have trouble maintain weight.
plus its very difficult to maintain that caloric intake with just liquids?

back on topic with sid, it wont matter much cause his jaw isnt being wired shut. so he'll be able to eat softer foods from the start. i was more worried about it if he had to have it wired for a few weeks
Actually people are kept alive for years on feeding tubes, and maintain a stable weight and normal labs. The problem is, these people are usually bed-ridden, so the inactivity turns their muscle into fat. But I've had patients for years that consumed nothing but Ensure or Boost, and they were in perfect health.

The difference between an elderly patient, who probably needs 4-5 cans of Boost a day to meet their caloric needs, and Sid is, Sid would have to drink about 10-15 cans a day to meet his needs. Especially if he's still working out during recovery. So yeah, I would expect him to lose some weight. But since he should be able to eat soft foods, he should be ok. Since he has a fracture, his calorie and protein needs will be even higher, so the Dietitian will figure that out and make sure he's meeting his needs.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:50 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter16 View Post
Yeah April 17th is when I see Sid coming back too.
Same

Old
04-01-2013, 06:53 PM
JQR
Clearly it's Lovejoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
Actually people are kept alive for years on feeding tubes, and maintain a stable weight and normal labs. The problem is, these people are usually bed-ridden, so the inactivity turns their muscle into fat. But I've had patients for years that consumed nothing but Ensure or Boost, and they were in perfect health.

The difference between an elderly patient, who probably needs 4-5 cans of Boost a day to meet their caloric needs, and Sid is, Sid would have to drink about 10-15 cans a day to meet his needs. Especially if he's still working out during recovery. So yeah, I would expect him to lose some weight. But since he should be able to eat soft foods, he should be ok. Since he has a fracture, his calorie and protein needs will be even higher, so the Dietitian will figure that out and make sure he's meeting his needs.
People grossly underestimate just how much they snack. When you suddenly move to a liquid diet and are no longer snacking, it should be pretty obvious that you'll lose weight if you don't also account for those missed calories.

Old
04-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques G View Post
People grossly underestimate just how much they snack. When you suddenly move to a liquid diet and are no longer snacking, it should be pretty obvious that you'll lose weight if you don't also account for those missed calories.
Very true

Old
04-01-2013, 07:05 PM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
"Hospitals are sanitary". Not sure where he got that one. Every door you touch, every everything is infected with something. Most ORs and certain other areas are sanitary but that's about as far as I'd take it. The halls, rooms, visiting areas are virulent pits of doom.

Let me introduce the world to my friend MRSA, found most commonly where? In hospitals and health clinics (gyms and lockerooms are also common hiding places).

C-Diff as well. We're convinced that being in the hospital is actually what killed my grandfather.

Old
04-01-2013, 07:17 PM
Smoke
Time is the flaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post

Sure they are. They have hand sanitizing dispensers around every corner.

Old
04-01-2013, 07:28 PM
Hizaki
Taylor Swift 1989 :)

MRSA and VRSA. I'd rather take my chances in an environment with less selective pressure (outside of the hospital).

Old
04-01-2013, 07:40 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Death To Selfies!

vCash: 50

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
04-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Lim Ran

Quote:
C-Diff as well. We're convinced that being in the hospital is actually what killed my grandfather.
C. Diff related?

Then... yeah, almost certainly.

Old
04-01-2013, 08:30 PM
lastcupever75
Philip thenet Kessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post

The difference between an elderly patient, who probably needs 4-5 cans of Boost a day to meet their caloric needs, and Sid is, Sid would have to drink about 10-15 cans a day to meet his needs. .
correct, and its likely the reason i personally lost weight when on a liquid diet. plus you just get tired of constantly drinking them along with feeling bloated

Last edited by lastcupever75: 04-01-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old
04-01-2013, 08:52 PM
DoktorZaius

Quote:
C-Diff is brutal. It can be hard to tell if it's the hospitalization itself that caused it or a reaction to the antibiotics though.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Garfinkel1

Great news about Letang. Any news on Flower yet?

Old
04-01-2013, 10:16 PM
nhindian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Great news about Letang. Any news on Flower yet?
He was backup on Saturday so have to imagine he's good to go.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:57 PM
FDBluth

This looks promising: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...medium=twitter

So he should be able to play without protection in 3-4 weeks? I would think that means that he could play with protection even sooner.

By the time Sid's career is over, he's going to be half robot.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:05 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post

So he should be able to play without protection in 3-4 weeks? I would think that means that he could play with protection even sooner.

Very good news. And in line with the speculation since we learned that his jaw was not wired shut.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:05 AM
On Vinyl
Oh Danny Boy

Quote:

Sounding like this injury isn't as bad as some of us had originally feared. This is great news!

Also, from the article:
Quote:
Like Mr. Roethlisberger before him, Mr. Crosby will have to be on a soft-food diet -- mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs, high-protein and high-carbohydrate shakes and other foods -- for three to four weeks to help ensure that there is no movement of the fractured bones. If he follows the right diet, he should be able to keep his weight on.
Hope Martin can cook with a broken hand!

Old
04-02-2013, 12:08 AM
Get To Our Game

From that article:

Quote:
Dr. Dattilo, who has done hundreds of similar "plating" surgeries like Mr. Crosby's, said Mr. Crosby could be back on the ice doing moderate workouts early this week.

But he would not advise end-to-end skating for a few days while swelling from both the puck and surgery heals.
Quote:
If all goes well in three to four weeks, Dr. Dattilo said, Mr. Crosby won't even necessarily need special headgear to protect his jaw "because his jaw will be just as strong as before, and probably stronger because it will be metal-reinforced."
Heck, why stop at the jaw? Put him under a little longer and give him titanium everywhere. Somebody mentioned adamantium earlier, I like that idea too.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:09 AM
Waffle Fries

Quote:

This is awesome.

Quote:
Dr. Kellman said he repaired a Syracuse Crunch minor league hockey player's jaw using plates a couple of years ago, and the player was back on the ice a day later wearing a special modified helmet.

Surgeons typically can do the surgery from inside the mouth, cutting through the mucous membrane to get to the bone. The membrane quickly heals and the thin metal is almost unnoticeable within a few weeks.

The goal -- as it is with wiring the jaw shut -- is to get "rigid fixation" of the jaw. It will heal better and more quickly if the fractured jaw bone does not move at all, particularly during the first few weeks.

Improper alignment, or even micro-movements during healing, can cause a variety of problems down the road, including temporal mandibular joint, or TMJ issues, that can cause pain, earaches and headaches, Dr. Kellman said.

How soon a hockey player gets back on the ice and tries to compete is based on "choices that people make," Dr. Kellman said. "How much risk are they willing to take?"

Dr. Dattilo, who has done hundreds of similar "plating" surgeries like Mr. Crosby's, said Mr. Crosby could be back on the ice doing moderate workouts early this week.
It really sounds as if our proposed April 17th return can happen.

I also don't know why, but referring to him as "Mr. Crosby" makes me laugh.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:12 AM
WarriorScholar

Now someone make their playoff avatar with Crosby as robocop

Old
04-02-2013, 12:14 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Vinyl View Post
Hope Martin can cook with a broken hand!

you'd hope that Neal has learnt to whip up a batch after watching Paulie slave over a stove these past few years.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:15 AM
Sidney the Kidney
We got Kessel?!

vCash: 1000
The Pens are slowly turning Crosby into a cyborg. If his eyes start to glow red during interviews, I'm officially freaked out.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:16 AM
Get To Our Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
Now someone make their playoff avatar with Crosby as robocop
I'm calling dibs on the 8.7 Million Dollar Man: We can rebuild him...we have the technology.

Closed Thread