HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Andrei Markov

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-01-2013, 07:10 PM
  #76
Mats86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,112
vCash: 500
Condensed schedule been hard on Markov, given his age and he has played in 3 years. They should rest him on these games and play Kaberle. Cut down on the wear and tear so he be ready to go for playoffs

Mats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:18 PM
  #77
Dagistitsyn
Registered User
 
Dagistitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Markov sure likes to score game tying goal with a few seconds left.

Don't ask me how I found the video... I don't even know!


Also remember the Anaheim goal (Perry incident) when he scored with 10 seconds to send the game in OT.
What a ****ing goal!

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:19 PM
  #78
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 14,999
vCash: 500
He's not even a shadow of his former self at even strength, that's how big the drop off has been. But he's still the 2nd best defenceman on the team. It wouldn't be so bad if they could give him a RD partner that can skate.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:23 PM
  #79
Nicko999
Registered User
 
Nicko999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,599
vCash: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
His speed is killing us...I really hope it doesn't hurt us in the playoffs
It sure is killing us... 1 goal tonight.

Btw-The goal was on Emelin. Markov stayed with his man.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:24 PM
  #80
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis
 
Playmaker09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He's not even a shadow of his former self at even strength, that's how big the drop off has been. But he's still the 2nd best defenceman on the team. It wouldn't be so bad if they could give him a RD partner that can skate.
This x1000.

Though I'd first try to re-unite him with Gorges and see how Emelin looks back on the left side. If that doesn't work then Emelin's trade bait IMO.

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:45 PM
  #81
ottawa*
go habs go
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,002
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
It sure is killing us... 1 goal tonight.

Btw-The goal was on Emelin. Markov stayed with his man.
Sugarcoat it how you want, a goal is a goal and no matter how much you love Markov it should have still been avoided. Watch the replay, imo they're both equally responsible for that goal, that pairing needs to be split up...

ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:56 PM
  #82
Schwang
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Kingston, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 813
vCash: 500
I've saI'd since the beginning, those 2 are a terrible pairing. They should split them up.

Schwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 08:01 PM
  #83
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
My opinion is to get everything that we can out of him this season and shop him around in the offseason.

Just like Cole, we are starting to see the decline of a very good player. May as well try to get something in return.

With all of that said, Markov has been huge for the Canadiens despite losing a little bit of speed.
agreed 100% , Markov is still effective but nowhere the Markov of old

he has one more year at 5.75 , maybe some team thinks he can still play but he is clearly on the decline

he is average defensively 5/5 and mainly a pp guy

I like him but not at that money , and dont want him extended at 36 years of age regardless what he did for us

we have enough vets on the blueline and we wont be missed as much as you think

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:11 PM
  #84
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,618
vCash: 500
Markov responded to an awful period with solid defense for 2 more periods. Not to mention a goal.

He's slow as **** but his anticipation is still there.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 10:16 PM
  #85
Hullois
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Québec
Country: Martinique
Posts: 1,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
agreed 100% , Markov is still effective but nowhere the Markov of old

he has one more year at 5.75 , maybe some team thinks he can still play but he is clearly on the decline

he is average defensively 5/5 and mainly a pp guy

I like him but not at that money , and dont want him extended at 36 years of age regardless what he did for us

we have enough vets on the blueline and we wont be missed as much as you think
I see things really differently, Markov won't get that much slower than he is now for a few years, but his hockey IQ will still be the same. I can live with a Subban Markov PP for many years, he won't be asking for 5.75 for his next contract

Hullois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 10:21 PM
  #86
Noob616
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,356
vCash: 500
It's not Markov that's the big issue, but the minutes and D partner he has. I'd like to see Emelin-Subban and Markov-Gorges going forward. Problem is both Emelin and Markov get caught up ice and neither are particularly quick anymore. Gorges isn't a speed demon but he's a steady guy and he won't get caught out of position. Also, Emelin-Subban would be quite the intimidating pairing, and Subban is both good and fast enough to make it work.

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 10:25 PM
  #87
ChikN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montreal South Shore
Country: Algeria
Posts: 290
vCash: 500
Markov is the man. Like it or not he's retiring as a hab. No matter how you twist it or try to justify it. Why can't we just enjoy what he's doing and have some respected Montrealers stay with us for their whole career. Look at Selanne an his knee problems some years ago, Anaheim kept him and let him recover during the lockout and here we are 8 years later and the guy ia still producing.

ChikN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 10:28 PM
  #88
Noob616
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikN View Post
Markov is the man. Like it or not he's retiring as a hab. No matter how you twist it or try to justify it. Why can't we just enjoy what he's doing and have some respected Montrealers stay with us for their whole career. Look at Selanne an his knee problems some years ago, Anaheim kept him and let him recover during the lockout and here we are 8 years later and the guy ia still producing.
Nobody reasonable is saying that we need to send him packing, no matter how you twist it or try to justify it. People are saying his minutes need to be dialed down a bit and ideally he needs a partner other than Emelin.

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 10:28 PM
  #89
MarkovsKnee
Registered User
 
MarkovsKnee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Markov sure likes to score game tying goal with a few seconds left.

Don't ask me how I found the video... I don't even know!


Also remember the Anaheim goal (Perry incident) when he scored with 10 seconds to send the game in OT.
lol I actually remember that goal. It's made the rounds back then. Markov was all we had to look forward to back in the late 90s. So many people couldn't wait for him to arrive in North America. He didn't disappoint when he got here.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 02:59 PM
  #90
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullois View Post
I see things really differently, Markov won't get that much slower than he is now for a few years, but his hockey IQ will still be the same. I can live with a Subban Markov PP for many years, he won't be asking for 5.75 for his next contract
I am not sure he takes much less with the stupid money being thrown away these days , I am more concerned about length of the deal

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 03:16 PM
  #91
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,599
vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
My opinion is to get everything that we can out of him this season and shop him around in the offseason.

Just like Cole, we are starting to see the decline of a very good player. May as well try to get something in return.

With all of that said, Markov has been huge for the Canadiens despite losing a little bit of speed.
I have thought this myself. We have Beaulieu looking ready to make his leap full time night year and Subban has long eclipsed Markov as our number one. If the rumors of us chasing Giordano have any merit to them. Markov may well be on his way out come season's end, although I would certainly has no qualms keeping him here if we manage his minutes better and Therrien accept he is not the same as he once was.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 03:31 PM
  #92
Atas2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
This x1000.

Though I'd first try to re-unite him with Gorges and see how Emelin looks back on the left side. If that doesn't work then Emelin's trade bait IMO.
I love GF. You are ready to trade Yemelin? Really?

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 06:04 PM
  #93
cphabs
It complels you!
 
cphabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: WNY
Country: United States
Posts: 723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
agreed 100% , Markov is still effective but nowhere the Markov of old

he has one more year at 5.75 , maybe some team thinks he can still play but he is clearly on the decline

he is average defensively 5/5 and mainly a pp guy

I like him but not at that money , and dont want him extended at 36 years of age regardless what he did for us
we have enough vets on the blueline and we wont be missed as much as you think
LOL The bold print is probably the #1 issue with the Habs IMO. We've lost the honor and CLASS that we so desperately want to return. Hang his number. If there is one player I have identified with as a fan, over 20+ years, who carried the standard we so desperately want? Markov. He is Centurion. Embrace it people!!!

cphabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 06:08 PM
  #94
Alexdaman
Registered User
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,180
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Markov sure likes to score game tying goal with a few seconds left.

Don't ask me how I found the video... I don't even know!


Also remember the Anaheim goal (Perry incident) when he scored with 10 seconds to send the game in OT.
olé olé olé song at 1:10!

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:14 PM
  #95
Jason Sonier
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
#1 reason the Habs are in 2nd place in the conference rather than 15th like last year... Andrei Markov.

One of the best PP quarterbacks in the game. Subban is shifty as hell and has a wicked shot but doesn't see the ice like Markov. I'd even say Markov has a lot to do with Subban's success this year (like Souray and Streit before him). Can anyone tell me how many of Subban's PP goals this year are assisted by Markov?

Since holding Joe Thornton to 0 points in the playoffs many years ago, and even after his injury problems, he's still relied upon to handle other teams top lines whenever possible and with good reason.

Markov and Gorges were the PK pairing against Carolina's top players and were also on the ice 6-on-5 for a faceoff in their own end with 1:33 left... with good reason.

Markov is one of the most underrated players in the league, even by Canadiens fans apparently.

Jason Sonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:25 PM
  #96
Dekar
Registered User
 
Dekar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bound Kingdom
Posts: 5,075
vCash: 500
I don't see why we can't just pair him with Subban and pair up Gorges with Emelin. Emelin moves over to the left side (as Gorges can play either as a defensive guy), and Markov now has a partner than can skate, back him up, and probably create more 5-on-5 offense from the back end. Switch up Emelin and Cube if you'd like, but playing Emelin with a fill-in 6D worries me at the moment, so I'd go with my first suggestion.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:46 PM
  #97
ottawa*
go habs go
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,002
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
I don't see why we can't just pair him with Subban and pair up Gorges with Emelin. Emelin moves over to the left side (as Gorges can play either as a defensive guy), and Markov now has a partner than can skate, back him up, and probably create more 5-on-5 offense from the back end. Switch up Emelin and Cube if you'd like, but playing Emelin with a fill-in 6D worries me at the moment, so I'd go with my first suggestion.
Wouldn't mind seeing Subban - Emelin and Markov - Gorges

Markov pinches a lot while Gorges plays back and more defensive so they'd be a good fit. Emelin goes in deep sometimes with the puck or usually dumps it in, if ever he gets caught I'd be comfortable with Subban racing back to cover him rather than it being Markov cause Markov would lose that footrace as he has many times this season.

ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 12:50 AM
  #98
Nicko999
Registered User
 
Nicko999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,599
vCash: 174
Markov used to smile as a rookie?





Now it's time for serious Markov (except when he's hugging PK lol).


Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 01:05 AM
  #99
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant
 
VAN-HAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Port Moody BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
The guy gradually went from playing like his former-self top 10 D in the league to playing like a bum...watching him these last few games has been very infuriating. Him and Emelin always get caught pinching and it's resulted in goals from the opposition a few times this season and it's so annoying!
sorry ottawa but this is the worst post in the history of HFbords...maybe not the worst but up there.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:05 AM
  #100
Mr. Hab
Registered User
 
Mr. Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,867
vCash: 500
Seems like most people here can agree with separating Emelin and Markov...but maybe the other options are not that much better? (or else why didn't Therrien try other pairings just to see the results?).

I'm one of them...wanted to see Emelin and Markov together, but...they have been caught pinching and looked awful defensively
(5 on 5) so many times...wonder how they'll do in playoffs. They better deliver 'cause everyone here seems to think Markov can deliver in playoffs. I'm counting more on Subban, Gorges, Bouillon, and maybe Diaz for playoffs.

Markov gets $5.75mil/year, but the tough assignments (ex: Crosby) will go to Subban or Gorges. Markov is way too turtle-slow to handle a Crosby or a Malkin.

I really hope Markov won't get $5.75mil next season...but it seems like he always gets the money he wants. Can't he do a ****ing favour to our Habs for once, especially after waiting 3 seasons for him to come back. What a miserable wait and glad he's healthy (knock on wood) but I don't want to see Markov get $5.75mil/year again. Give that ****ing money to the dman who has deserved that salary since he started his career with our Habs (Subban).



Go Markov Go! (stay healthy...just stay healthy)

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.