HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Wii U: Nintendo's Next Generation Console Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2013, 04:09 PM
DearDiary
Today I ate Bylsma

vCash: 50
Developers laugh at WiiU, Not getting Unreal Engine 4

At a conference, filled with major third party developers...

Quote:
I figured I'd ask straight-out, so during the Q&A with Rein, I did. "Will UE4 run on the Wii U?"

"Hahaha no." Rein said, with expert comedic timing. The room erupted with laughter. As the laughs died down, Rein continued: "I mean, sorry, it's not really a correct answer. We're not… we have Unreal Engine 3 for the Wii U. Right? And Unreal Engine 3 is powering all kinds of amazing games, still lots of games are being made with Unreal Engine 3. We announced today about a new Unreal Engine 3 license. Unreal Engine 3 doesn't disappear because of Unreal Engine 4. But our goal for Unreal Engine 4 console-wise is next-gen consoles. That's really what our energies are focused on. If you want to make a Wii U game, we have Unreal Engine 3, and it's powering some of the best games on the Wii U already.

"Nothing controversial, guys," he jokingly chided.

http://kotaku.com/the-wii-u-wont-be-...ium=Socialflow

Unreal Engine 3 was one of the most used engines last gen, which the Wii was not powerful enough to run, losing out on many games like Batman Arkham City, Bioshock and Borderlands. Now the next engine, which will be supported by PS4,X720,Vita and iOS, will not be heading for the WiiU.

Not only that, we have major developers like Rockstar and EA laughing at the WiiU. And just yesterday I believe, EA announced that the WiiU will not have Frostbite engine support.

This does not sit well with third party support, WiiU will be missing many next gen games. I already regret my WiiU purchase

Old
03-29-2013, 04:45 PM
Osprey

vCash: 500
He said that UE4 will be targeted at next-gen consoles (not including the Wii U). That doesn't necessarily rule out the Wii U getting some UE4 games. In fact, you left out a quote of Rein's just above it in the article:
Quote:
Epic has been unclear about the Wii U's support for UE4 in the past, with Epic co-founder Mark Rein telling Videogamer that Epic doesn't intend to bring the engine to Wii U, but that "if a customer decides they want to port an Unreal Engine 4 game to Wii U, they could."
So, Epic isn't going to do the Wii U any favors, but game developers can do whatever you want. UE4 is supposed to highly scalable. You mention that it's expected to come to Vita and iOS. If it can run on mobile devices like that, it can run on Wii U. I think that Rein was mostly taking the opportunity to make a joke about Wii U in a room full of XBox and PlayStation fans. He probably also feels some need to hype up UE4 as a next-gen engine that's so cool that only next-gen consoles will run it, even if that's not really the case.

Old
03-29-2013, 05:34 PM
blueandgoldguy

Wii U continues to have disappointing sales

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/03/gam...disappointing/

Expect disappointing numbers for March as well. Wonder how the first 3 months of sales compares with the Wii?

When the **** are they going to come out out with a big first party title like Zelda, Kirby or Smash Brothers? That open sandbox Lego City: Undercover game looks promising but will it be enough to improve sales?

C'mon Nintendo, get your **** together.

Old
03-29-2013, 06:25 PM
GodTukka*

Nintendo NEEDS to bend to the will of 3rd parties.

I was pretty much a hypnotized Nintendrone up until 2010, I was happy with my first party titles (the SMG games? awesome, Zelda? Awesome)

And then i got my first taste of the next gen sports games. it was a major turning point for me because:

Wii Sports games are rehashed ps2/xbox ports with new coats of paint in an attempt to pass them off as new (For reference please see NHL Slapshot, aka any NHL 06 with cartoonish look or Madden 10 aka any Madden from 05 onwards with stupid looking player models)

Then i dived into some of the big money games like Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, COD, etc and realized "Wow Nintendo really sucks in comparison"

I used to laugh at people who would suggest that Nintendo should go the sega route and just make games for the other consoles but man....they money they could make, i'm not the only one who jumped ship because of lack of anything other then Mario or Zelda

Old
03-29-2013, 07:00 PM
DearDiary
Today I ate Bylsma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
He said that UE4 will be targeted at next-gen consoles (not including the Wii U). That doesn't necessarily rule out the Wii U getting some UE4 games. In fact, you left out a quote of Rein's just above it in the article:So, Epic isn't going to do the Wii U any favors, but game developers can do whatever you want. UE4 is supposed to highly scalable. You mention that it's expected to come to Vita and iOS. If it can run on mobile devices like that, it can run on Wii U. I think that Rein was mostly taking the opportunity to make a joke about Wii U in a room full of XBox and PlayStation fans. He probably also feels some need to hype up UE4 as a next-gen engine that's so cool that only next-gen consoles will run it, even if that's not really the case.
That quote was from July 2012... did you even look at the link Kotaku quoted?
http://www.videogamer.com/news/unrea...ii_u_epic.html

Epic in March 2013 says no Unreal Engine for WiiU and its not next gen

Old
03-29-2013, 07:41 PM
nmain37*

Who cares about EA they're to busy digging there own grave to be of any use.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:40 AM
MayDay

Arrogant 3rd party publishers who love to trash Nintendo make me feel like buying a Wii U out of spite.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:44 AM
Ozamataz Buckshank

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodTukka View Post
Nintendo NEEDS to bend to the will of 3rd parties.

I was pretty much a hypnotized Nintendrone up until 2010, I was happy with my first party titles (the SMG games? awesome, Zelda? Awesome)

And then i got my first taste of the next gen sports games. it was a major turning point for me because:

Wii Sports games are rehashed ps2/xbox ports with new coats of paint in an attempt to pass them off as new (For reference please see NHL Slapshot, aka any NHL 06 with cartoonish look or Madden 10 aka any Madden from 05 onwards with stupid looking player models)

Then i dived into some of the big money games like Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, COD, etc and realized "Wow Nintendo really sucks in comparison"

I used to laugh at people who would suggest that Nintendo should go the sega route and just make games for the other consoles but man....they money they could make, i'm not the only one who jumped ship because of lack of anything other then Mario or Zelda
Jumped ship? If you own a WiiU you can still buy another console/PC for multiplats. Believe it or not, I've played both my xbox 360 and 3DS within the last couple of days! The problem with the WiiU isn't the lack of third party games, because honestly Nintendo hasn't done well with third parties since the friggin SUPER NINTENDO. Nintendo systems are for Nintendo games as far as I'm concerned.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:14 PM
GodTukka*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselForSelke View Post
Jumped ship? If you own a WiiU you can still buy another console/PC for multiplats. Believe it or not, I've played both my xbox 360 and 3DS within the last couple of days! The problem with the WiiU isn't the lack of third party games, because honestly Nintendo hasn't done well with third parties since the friggin SUPER NINTENDO. Nintendo systems are for Nintendo games as far as I'm concerned.
Not everyone has money for more then one console you know.

Maybe it's more i'm still kind of sore after what they did to Metroid

Old
03-31-2013, 10:34 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

Quote:

na tbh you buy nintendo consoles for their games and a ps3/xbox for the other games imo

Old
03-31-2013, 10:41 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Wii U continues to have disappointing sales

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/03/gam...disappointing/

Expect disappointing numbers for March as well. Wonder how the first 3 months of sales compares with the Wii?

When the **** are they going to come out out with a big first party title like Zelda, Kirby or Smash Brothers? That open sandbox Lego City: Undercover game looks promising but will it be enough to improve sales?

C'mon Nintendo, get your **** together.
Obviously noone wants to pay $350 without any significant new games.

I got Majora's mask downloaded onto the Wii console now so I'm happy.

I also picked up a gamecube, gameboy player and Minish Cap for about $120 for all 3 this last fall, so I am totally set.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:05 PM
Ubercron9000

Quote:

Thats the problem, Not everyone has the money. I think I'm the most casual gamer. I play on my phone more than I do my 3ds. Why? Because it is always on me and is much more portable. Games are cheap and fun. While I bought starfox 64 for 39.99$...I feel like I got robbed. A game that could be an iphone game for 6.99$ or less!!!

I think nintendo just isn't getting the casual market as they did with the wii. The Wii U is expensive and doesn't really have the hype that the wii had. I also don't feel like forking over 350$ for games that are already out on PS3 which I have. Which means regular gamers might not want to dish out the cash for games they may already own and played. If the Wii U can't attract casual gamers then 30 million units would be close to what they will sell in the consoles lifespan. Since most of the casuals will go mobile(phone and tablets) this generation imo.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:08 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

So I had played a Wii U before today, but finally got my hands on it in my own household (borrowed it) and wanted to just give some impressions because while I had a positive experience overall, some things seemed really off:

Gripes:

1) Maybe it's my weird sound setup, but I cannot get the system to output as non-HDMI when I have my HDMI plugged in. With my PS3 (and Wii and PC) I utilize a different cable or red/white parts of a cable to hook into my surround sound system, but with the Wii U picking a separate audio output doesn't seem possible. So my only options were play games in SD, HD with only tablet sound or plug the Wii U tablet headphone jack into my surround sound system. This is extremely cumbersome.

2) The load times are ridiculous. When I was trying to tweak the settings it was taking forever to jump around between screens. Feels like they should keep the main options menu stored somewhere in memory because you'll be going right back to it after tweaking the audio and video. I know they are fixing this, but still, yeesh it was bad.

3) Minor gripe but I borrowed the system and the controllers for it and now I have 5 different controllers sitting on my desk (Tablet, 2 Wiimotes with their nunchucks and 2 pro controllers). Syncing and pairing everything was a bit of a pain, but minor complaint.

I enjoyed what I played of Nintendoland but found some of the control decisions downright baffling. Like the Zelda minigame, why can I aim left and right with the left stick but not up and down when I have my bow drawn? Some things felt like control was being taken away from me just to point out "Oh hey look, a tablet!"

It's not a bad system actually, just seems like Nintendo should have maybe taken an extra 3 months with it to iron out some of these things before shipping it.

Other random thing I noticed: The 3DS (non-XL) screen feels tiny and my hands get cramped trying to play it. Is this me holding it wrong or is it just really like that if you have big hands?

Old
04-01-2013, 09:54 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
So I had played a Wii U before today, but finally got my hands on it in my own household (borrowed it) and wanted to just give some impressions because while I had a positive experience overall, some things seemed really off:

Gripes:

1) Maybe it's my weird sound setup, but I cannot get the system to output as non-HDMI when I have my HDMI plugged in. With my PS3 (and Wii and PC) I utilize a different cable or red/white parts of a cable to hook into my surround sound system, but with the Wii U picking a separate audio output doesn't seem possible. So my only options were play games in SD, HD with only tablet sound or plug the Wii U tablet headphone jack into my surround sound system. This is extremely cumbersome.

2) The load times are ridiculous. When I was trying to tweak the settings it was taking forever to jump around between screens. Feels like they should keep the main options menu stored somewhere in memory because you'll be going right back to it after tweaking the audio and video. I know they are fixing this, but still, yeesh it was bad.

3) Minor gripe but I borrowed the system and the controllers for it and now I have 5 different controllers sitting on my desk (Tablet, 2 Wiimotes with their nunchucks and 2 pro controllers). Syncing and pairing everything was a bit of a pain, but minor complaint.

I enjoyed what I played of Nintendoland but found some of the control decisions downright baffling. Like the Zelda minigame, why can I aim left and right with the left stick but not up and down when I have my bow drawn? Some things felt like control was being taken away from me just to point out "Oh hey look, a tablet!"

It's not a bad system actually, just seems like Nintendo should have maybe taken an extra 3 months with it to iron out some of these things before shipping it.

Other random thing I noticed: The 3DS (non-XL) screen feels tiny and my hands get cramped trying to play it. Is this me holding it wrong or is it just really like that if you have big hands?
The load times are nuts, but an April update is supposed to fix this to a large degree. I think IGN had a video up comparing the load time differences, and it was night and day.

And you're not alone with the 3DS being a hand cramper. I play the kid's occasionally, and what saves me is the nerf case around it. Much more comfortable.

Played any games other than Nintendoland?

04-01-2013, 10:19 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
The load times are nuts, but an April update is supposed to fix this to a large degree. I think IGN had a video up comparing the load time differences, and it was night and day.

And you're not alone with the 3DS being a hand cramper. I play the kid's occasionally, and what saves me is the nerf case around it. Much more comfortable.

Played any games other than Nintendoland?
Bit of Monster Hunter, which is a series I've always been lukewarm on. It's good for what it's trying to be, just not sure if it appeals to me.

Would like to get my hands on Mario, I've already played it, but it's the game I'd probably enjoy the most.

Edit: The audio thing annoys me the most, because it seems like I don't have issues with any of my other setups, just the Wii U. And if I purchase one, I have no way of playing with full audio? That's a major turn off.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:22 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubercron9000 View Post
I think nintendo just isn't getting the casual market as they did with the wii. The Wii U is expensive and doesn't really have the hype that the wii had.
The WiiU is the first console in a long time that I didn't just run out and get. And now the kids are running all the old NES and SNES ROMs on an Android tablet so they're not even asking for it, they're LOVING the old games.

I think Nintendo is in trouble - if not "now", then "soon".

Old
04-02-2013, 05:50 AM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Regular size 3DS?

I have the 3DS XL, and I've never found it cramped or uncomfortable. And I have big hands and been playing a lot of Fire Emblem lately.

Old
04-02-2013, 06:09 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:

Gripes:

For the sound HDMI to your TV and then Digital Audio Cable from the TV to your Surround Sound Receiver.

Sorry what does the 3DS have to do with the Wii U?

Old
04-02-2013, 07:45 AM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
For the sound HDMI to your TV and then Digital Audio Cable from the TV to your Surround Sound Receiver.

Sorry what does the 3DS have to do with the Wii U?
It was a random question, as I said. Since I borrowed them both.

I also am not sure if my TV outputs to my sound system, but I shall try. It should. I remember having issues trying to do that before though, but hopefully it works. I know my setup is unconventional, just would have been nice for them to have supported it like every other thing I own.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:10 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Epic Games says the Wii U can run Unreal 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipops View Post
At a conference, filled with major third party developers...

http://kotaku.com/the-wii-u-wont-be-...ium=Socialflow

Unreal Engine 3 was one of the most used engines last gen, which the Wii was not powerful enough to run, losing out on many games like Batman Arkham City, Bioshock and Borderlands. Now the next engine, which will be supported by PS4,X720,Vita and iOS, will not be heading for the WiiU.

Not only that, we have major developers like Rockstar and EA laughing at the WiiU. And just yesterday I believe, EA announced that the WiiU will not have Frostbite engine support.

This does not sit well with third party support, WiiU will be missing many next gen games. I already regret my WiiU purchase

Epic Games says the Wii U can run Unreal 4

Mark Rein backtracks his statement that Unreal 4 will not be possible on the Wii U:

http://wiiudaily.com/2013/04/epic-ga...-run-unreal-4/

And from Last Year:

Unreal Engine 4 Can Run on Wii U:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/31117

Old
04-02-2013, 10:39 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Regular size 3DS?

I have the 3DS XL, and I've never found it cramped or uncomfortable. And I have big hands and been playing a lot of Fire Emblem lately.
Yeah, the regular sized. If I got one for myself, I'd get the XL and maybe it'd be more comfortable, though how thin it is might bother me. I have the same problem with a lot of cellphones, though. Still use a big chunky flip phone partly because of it.

Quote:
Bit of Monster Hunter, which is a series I've always been lukewarm on. It's good for what it's trying to be, just not sure if it appeals to me.

Would like to get my hands on Mario, I've already played it, but it's the game I'd probably enjoy the most.

Edit: The audio thing annoys me the most, because it seems like I don't have issues with any of my other setups, just the Wii U. And if I purchase one, I have no way of playing with full audio? That's a major turn off.
I had Monster Hunter on Wii and have never been able to really get into it. I'll probably give it a few more shots before just giving up entirely. I've had Mario, and it's about what you'd expect of a mario game. It's a lot better than the second one they brought out for the 3DS, and the time runs and what not add more to the experience than I expected.

I don't have cable, but the TV thing seems to be an interesting feature. If I had cable, I think that is something that would get a lot of use with the gamepad. I love the thing as a remote. Also, check out the google street view. The wife wasn't as enamored with it as I was, but being able to hold the pad up and "look around" was addicting to me.

Still waiting for the first few killer games, though.

Old
04-17-2013, 09:36 AM
Satan
why did she go

EARTHBOUND coming to the Wii U VC!!!!! Soooooo stoked

Old
04-17-2013, 10:32 AM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Gary Oak View Post
EARTHBOUND coming to the Wii U VC!!!!! Soooooo stoked
Wonder if/how they got around the licensing issues... maybe a bunch of stuff was removed, but i hope not!

Old
04-17-2013, 10:44 AM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
There's licensing issues with Earthbound?

Old
04-17-2013, 10:47 AM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post
There's licensing issues with Earthbound?
Tons..lol.

see: http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/02...-similarities/

There's way way way more too..lol

vs.

You usually can't unhear the stuff after you know..lol

Found almost the full list (just music): http://earthbound.wikia.com/wiki/Lis...ical_Allusions

Last edited by Orpheus: 04-17-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Closed Thread