HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs on Tradecentre Part 5 (Who do you want at the deadline/in free agency?) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

vCash: 500
Draft pick around here are overrated.

If a player can help you to bring your team to another level, well, forget about the holy draft picks. Do that trade, ffs!

Old
04-01-2013, 09:37 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post

If a player can help you to bring your team to another level, well, forget about the holy draft picks. Do that trade, ffs!
Subban, Krecji, Lucic, Bergeron are all 2nd round picks btw.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:38 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:

No! In 4-6 years that pick might be the guy who replaces Price! WE NEED THE PICK!!

waffledave
Old
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:

With Timmins no pick should be underrated.

Old
pine

Quote:

No. Draft picks are crucial, especially in a salary cap world. Those draft picks become prospects who eventually become players who are ELC-contracts are essential to control cost.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:39 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
So were Urqhart and Maxwell.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:40 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
There are most bust than superstars in the 2rd pick. Remember Ben Maxwell?

I understand you point, but you ain't gonna draft a Subban in every pick. Picks arr overrated here. Hell, we have 3 second round picks. What is the problem if you trade one? You still have two left.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:42 PM
Hugo Sham

bergevin can deal one of our 2nds, and one of thirds - or one from 2014 + guys like leblanc, etc...

Old
04-01-2013, 09:42 PM
Andy

Quote:
There are most bust than superstars in the 2rd pick. Remember Ben Maxwell?

I understand you point, but you ain't gonna draft a Subban in every pick. Picks arr overrated here. Hell, we have 3 second round picks. What is the problem if you trade one? You still have two left.
But when you look at the returns of 2nd round picks, it's not worth it. Murray, Regehr are not each worth TWO second round picks.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:43 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
But when you look at the returns of 2nd round picks, it's not worth it. Murray, Regehr are not each worth TWO second round picks.
Regehr isn't even 2013 picks. And for Murray, well it's solve the only hole pitts was having. And, let's be real, Murray is a great shutdown dman.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Dean Ambrose
Just a little crazy

vCash: 133
Quote:

I'd rather have our 2nds and 3rds than overpay for a guy like Murray or Regehr. Bergevin is simply building from within the organization right now and that's how you win championships. This year, I'll gladly pass up trading picks for guys like Clowe who wants a 7 year extension or Murray/Regehr, etc.

pine

Quote:
Regehr isn't even 2013 picks. And for Murray, well it's solve the only hole pitts was having. And, let's be real, Murray is a great shutdown dman.
The picks not being this year diminishes the value by a little but they're still 2nd round picks. And Murray may very well be a good shutdown dman, but there's no way in hell I'd give up 2 2nd round picks. Would rather drink my own piss.

Old
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Murray used to be a great shutdown D. He and Regehr used to be my favorite D outside the habs.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
04-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Hemlor

Quote:
although I agree that it's a lot, apparently they are worth that much, because that's what was given up for them. Players are worth what someone is willing to give up. Other than Pitt though, no other East team has gotten better, yet.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:46 PM
clarke19

I would look at potentially bringing Gill back on the cheap. Good room presence and he may be cool with sitting the odd game to rest for the playoffs, where his style is effective.

Alternate between Gill and Beaulieu/Kaberle for the first rest of the season. Send Weber to Nashville in the deal along with a 3rd.

Not the best solution, but one I'd be happy with given the market.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Perhaps not, but a late first along with middling prospects gets you top 4/top 6 guy. That is definitely worth it, especially if the guy is signed through next year. You can pick up the cost at the next deadline if it doesn't work out.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:50 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
The picks not being this year diminishes the value by a little but they're still 2nd round picks. And Murray may very well be a good shutdown dman, but there's no way in hell I'd give up 2 2nd round picks. Would rather drink my own piss.
Everybody here said, back in the days, that we overpay for Dominic Moore, who was having a bad season, by giving up a "famous" second round pick. Hell,
Moore was worth everything that this 2rd pick could have bring us. Before judging a trade if we trade one second round pick, that player in return could be a BIG part of our team going forward.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:50 PM
yianik

IF this draft is as deep as 2003, 5 guys picked in the 2nd turned into top players, Bergeron Eriksson, Howard, Backes and Shea Weber. Thats 1 out of 6 taken in Round 2. We have a late 1st and 3 2nds. TT is great but give him all the darts he can throw. It makes sense for MB to keep all the picks this year as he must have a 4-5 year period of grace as a new GM and anybody taken this draft will have a chance to make the team before that 4-5 years is up. Look at trading picks in the years to come, not this year.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:52 PM
LyricalLyricist

Honestly, picks are vital but stockpiling may be useless to a degree.

Is it safe to say we got 3 guys who SHOULD be with the habs in the future with Subban, Tinordi, Beaulieu and guys like Ellis, Pateryn in the pros and guys like Emelin, Diaz, Gorges of prime age. Then there's vets and UFAs and so on and at a certain point unless you make 2 lineups it's redundant. You do what you can if you feel it will put you over the top. If it won't make a difference, then its bad.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Andy

I'm all for trading picks, but it has to be for the right player. We got Wisniewski for less than what Regehr and Murray got and he is the superior player.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post

Is it safe to say we got 3 guys who SHOULD be with the habs in the future with Subban, Tinordi, Beaulieu and guys like Ellis, Pateryn in the pros and guys like Emelin, Diaz, Gorges of prime age. Then there's vets and UFAs and so on and at a certain point unless you make 2 lineups it's redundant. You do what you can if you feel it will put you over the top. If it won't make a difference, then its bad.
Exactly. I like all three of Clowe, Murray and Regehr, but not at the prices asked or being asked.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
I'm all for trading picks, but it has to be for the right player. We got Wisniewski for the less than what Regehr and Murray got and he is the superior player.
Bingo. And I'll add, preferably for someone you can control through next season at a fair $ amount.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
I'm all for trading picks, but it has to be for the right player. We got Wisniewski for the less than what Regehr and Murray got and he is the superior player.
You're comparing two different types of defensemen. In addition, the trades were also made at very different times of the season (Wis being early in the season, not around the trade deadline). It's normal players are expensive right now, the demand is high.

I don't disagree with what you're saying. Just saying that the situations were different.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:57 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Exactly. I like all three of Clowe, Murray and Regehr, but not at the prices asked or being asked.
Depends, suppose you overpay for a player and he's the missing piece. I honestly don't care.

If you get a piece that can push you another round a 1st is worth it. I don't care if its Steve Begin, if he's the missing piece, so be it. Obviously this will NEVER be the case but my point is the idea is to win. If you lose 4 1st rounders to win the Cup, I do it ever 4 years no problem. I care more about where the player will take it rather than who he is.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:59 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post

I agree to a point. I think after a year like this 2013 draft with so many picks in the top 70, we could be set to trade future picks and prospects if we're in a competitive position going forward.

As for this year, I agree with a lot of other people that we should try to get some depth but not at the expensive of multiple picks and prospects just before a really deep draft.

Like I said, maybe starting next year but not sure we do it this year unless we get a good player with term.

Closed Thread