Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Official Trade Deadline Thread

Old
04-01-2013, 07:49 PM
JB51Hockey
51Hockey

vCash: 323
Bouwmeester to the Blues for 2 prospects and a pick: http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=663316

JB51Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:33 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

vCash: 500
Three 1st's going into the draft. Feaster needs to start thinking about moving up.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 10:08 PM
Noori

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Three 1st's going into the draft. Feaster needs to start thinking about moving up.
Yep yep. Great opportunity to get two top ten picks. Depending on what happens with Kiprusoff, Comeau, etc, we could end up with two picks in the top ten and then a late first rounder.

Say Kiprusoff gets a 2nd and Comeau gets a 3rd and the St. Louis pick is sixteenth. Pittsburgh gets the 28-30 pick.

Draft Jones/MacKinnon with the 1st.

Package the 1st from the Bouwmeester deal along with the 2nd from Kiprusoff's deal and move just inside the top 10.

> If Jones was drafted, draft a forward like Nichushkin, Monohan or Lindholm
> If MacKinnon was drafted, draft a defensemen like Pulock, Ristolainen, or Nurse

Package the Pittsburgh pick with two 3rd rounders to move just inside the top 20. Maybe a guy like Lazar or Shinkaruk falls a bit and we pick him up.

In summary:

Jones
Nicushkin, Monohan, Lindholm
Lazar/Shinkaruk

or

MacKinnon
Pulock, Ristolainen, Nurse
Lazar/Shinkaruk

Talk about accelerated rebuild.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 10:17 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
Yep yep. Great opportunity to get two top ten picks. Depending on what happens with Kiprusoff, Comeau, etc, we could end up with two picks in the top ten and then a late first rounder.

Say Kiprusoff gets a 2nd and Comeau gets a 3rd and the St. Louis pick is sixteenth. Pittsburgh gets the 28-30 pick.

Package the 1st from the Bouwmeester deal along with the 2nd from Kiprusoff's deal and move just inside the top 10.

> If MacKinnon was drafted, draft a defensemen like Pulock, Ristolainen, or Nurse

Package the Pittsburgh pick with two 3rd rounders to move just inside the top 20. Maybe a guy like Lazar or Shinkaruk falls a bit and we pick him up.

In summary:

Jones
Lazar/Shinkaruk

or

MacKinnon
Lazar/Shinkaruk

Lets say for the fun of it we get 1st overall. Would you be against trading down? Philly is going to be pretty desperate to get Jones. Lets say they have the 5th pick would you do Couts + 5th overall for 1st + 3rd?

Potentially we get
Couts
Barkov/Lindholm/Monahan
Hagg
Petan

Basically we set our franchises center depth up for the next generation but give up a shot at a #1 defenseman.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 10:25 PM
Backlund

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Lets say for the fun of it we get 1st overall. Would you be against trading down? Philly is going to be pretty desperate to get Jones. Lets say they have the 5th pick would you do Couts + 5th overall for 1st + 3rd?

Potentially we get
Couts
Barkov/Lindholm/Monahan
Hagg
Petan

Basically we set our franchises center depth up for the next generation but give up a shot at a #1 defenseman.
Yes. We will probably suck next year too so we can just draft Ekblad.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Noori

Quote:

Potentially we get
Couts
Barkov/Lindholm/Monahan
Hagg
Petan

I wouldn't. The only two players out of all previously mentioned that I see as legit franchise players are Jones and MacKinnon. At this point, it's about quality, not quantity.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 10:30 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I wouldn't. The only two players out of all previously mentioned that I see as legit franchise players are Jones and MacKinnon. At this point, it's about quality, not quantity.
If you have that view than I would agree. I personally think Barkov will be the best player from this draft. Just thought I would see what people thought.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:11 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
I would seriously disagree with this. I would say this draft has potential to produce as many as 5 or 6 franchise players.

I would find it very hard to say that Barkov and Drouin couldn't be considered borderline franchise players. They are easily elite and very close to be franchise type players.

And you could very well consider Nichushkin right up there with them. And maybe even Lindholm by all accounts from scouting.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:18 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:

In summary:

Jones
Lazar/Shinkaruk

or

MacKinnon
Lazar/Shinkaruk

Unless you can move into a position to grab a 2nd elite player (Nichushkin, Barkov, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan and maybe Shinkaruk) I wouldn't do it. I think the seperation between about 9 and 25 isn't big enough to make it worthwhile to move up (unless you have a falling player like Grigorenko last year).

The system could really use the depth having a few other 2nd's and 3rd's could add. You'd be getting the elite player with our own first anyways. I mean getting a 2nd blue chipper would be awesome but I'm not convinced the price would be worth it at this point (nor that it would even be possible).

Old
04-01-2013, 11:21 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
If you have that view than I would agree. I personally think Barkov will be the best player from this draft. Just thought I would see what people thought.
I love Barkov so I'm completely biased. I think he's possible right there with Drouin/MacKinnon as the best forward in this draft.

The way I see it, this draft has the following blue chip elite players

Jones
MacKinnon
Drouin
Barkov
Nichuskin
Lindholm
Monahan
Shinkaruk

Maybe even Nurse/Ristolainen but I'd probably label them a step below elite.

I don't honestly see Jones as that far ahead of MacK, Drouin, Nichushkin or Barkov. At this point, while I think Jones is nearly a lock for 1st overall, I still think they all have an argument for being picked 1st.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:44 PM
Leperus Leprechuan

I'd like to point out the 42nd Overall moved up Buffalo seven spots from 21st to 14th last year in the trade with us.

so how far up do you guys think the 25-30 plus 15-20 picks combined could move us?

Leperus Leprechuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:50 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abars View Post
I'd like to point out the 42nd Overall moved up Buffalo seven spots from 21st to 14th last year in the trade with us.

so how far up do you guys think the 25-30 plus 15-20 picks combined could move us?
Top 10, maybe we trade back from #1 to get Barkov and trade up to get Zadrov or Pulock.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:00 AM
AreBe

Leaf fan here and I come in peace (unlike the Leaf GM who is calling your GM maybe as I write this). So, given that the Leafs tend to do really well and Calgary has what would politely be called 'mixed results' when trading with the Leafs, could a possible Leaf trade be expanded -to be Ben Scrivens, Carl Gunnarsson and Mikhail Grabovski. I know it has a ring of 'how much Scotch does it take to make that deal?" and sounds right out of talk radio idiocy, but what are the odds of Calgary, in a fit of stupidity, giving up Mike Cammalleri and Miikka Kiprusoff? That would be a bad trade for Calgary- but not impossible, and in fact, in keeping with Leaf- Calgary trades.

AreBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 12:03 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreBe View Post
Leaf fan here and I come in peace (unlike the Leaf GM who is calling your GM maybe as I write this). So, given that the Leafs tend to do really well and Calgary has what would politely be called 'mixed results' when trading with the Leafs, could a possible Leaf trade be expanded -to be Ben Scrivens, Carl Gunnarsson and Mikhail Grabovski. I know it has a ring of 'how much Scotch does it take to make that deal?" and sounds right out of talk radio idiocy, but what are the odds of Calgary, in a fit of stupidity, giving up Mike Cammalleri and Miikka Kiprusoff? That would be a bad trade for Calgary- but not impossible, and in fact, in keeping with Leaf- Calgary trades.
No need for Grabo when we are rebuilding and we have Stajan that fills the same role right now. I think the only peices we will be interested in are Colborne, 2013 1st, Blacker, Ashton, Biggs, Scrivens.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:12 AM
AreBe

My math shows Scrivens and Rimer both having a better save percentage than Kipper, and further, the tradition has been multi -player deals. I do not think Leaf management- finally - is going to be trading the farm for hopes of maybe winning 2 rounds in the playoffs (at best) Kipper sv% .873 vs Riemar .920, Scrivens .918. - so it could be the deal does not get done or is expended somehow (stupidly, from a Calgary perspective)
It is going to take a lot of Scotch to get anything for Carl Gunnarsson and Mikhail Grabovski.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:14 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
My math shows Scrivens and Rimer both having a better save percentage than Kipper, and further, the tradition has been multi -player deals. I do not think Leaf management- finally - is going to be trading the farm for hopes of maybe winning 2 rounds in the playoffs (at best) Kipper sv% .873 vs Riemar .920, Scrivens .918. - so it could be the deal does not get done or is expended somehow (stupidly, from a Calgary perspective)
Sure the numbers tell the whole story

Old
04-02-2013, 12:24 AM
AreBe

Well, there is no doubt the Leafs are interested in Kipper. If Calgary wants more than day old donuts ( 3rd round draft pick? Or conditional maybe 2nd round) and Scrivens, they will need to expand the deal.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:25 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Well, there is no doubt the Leafs are interested in Kipper. If Calgary wants more than day old donuts and Scrivens, they will need to expand the deal.
I don't think they do want more than that.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:09 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abars View Post

In a weaker draft though. A lot harder to pull off this year IMO.

Still should be able to snag a top ten pick for those two.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:04 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Kipper is the final one of the big three. At this point I think he'll probably move. Not for more than a 2nd but still something decent. At least we might replace out own 2nd.

I wonder if anyone else moves. I doubt Hudler/Wideman move so soon after signing. Giordano seems like a guy they would want to keep. Glencross too probably although he could command a huge price with what he brings for only 2.55 a year.

Does Tanguay move now that his buddy Iggy is gone? Or keep him for his veteran experience? I think he'll probably stay. He's signed for a pretty good deal and isn't too old yet to really be an anchor to the team.

I think the tree most likely players to move after Kipper are Comeau and Bachuk as depth options for a team, Stajan for a team looking for a decent center once the main centers are off the market.

And then Cammalleri. He could be intriguing to teams. His offense could be a big help to a team like Columbus (who might be willing to move one of their firsts for him...) but the contract might be an issue. If Calgary is willing to take some of salary back, they could get a decent price for him.

Having 4 first rounders would be awesome.

Last edited by spiny norman: 04-03-2013 at 10:55 AM. Reason: qdp
Old
04-02-2013, 11:13 AM
Volica

I honestly think if cbj wants to make it known that they'll part with one of their first rounders, for a winger with top 6 ability, Calgary should be all over it.

Cammy makes sense for both teams. Cbj has no scorer in the top 100 of the league. Cammy is there, is a vet. Can play on the top line. Makes sense for both teams, also Calgary gets rid of more cap for the rebuild.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:30 AM
FlamesFreak4
Sven'sational!

Derek Roy traded to Vancouver

FlamesFreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:47 AM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFreak4 View Post
Derek Roy traded to Vancouver
Dallas got fleeced. No bluechip prospect!

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 12:00 PM
FlamesFreak4
Sven'sational!

Jagr apparently traded to boston aswell

FlamesFreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Shawnofthedeadz

vCash: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Disagree with this. Unless we trade up into the top 1-5 overalls there is no point in trading up. The later 5-30 overall picks have about the same probability of success. Much rather have two picks than one even if they are later rounds. A pick doesn't guarantee success, this way we have a higher chance of getting future NHL stars.

Shawnofthedeadz is offline   Reply With Quote