HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs on Tradecentre Part 5 (Who do you want at the deadline/in free agency?) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Forsead

vCash: 500
I think if they make a move it will be for a depth defenseman like Carkner and they will not pay much at all.

Then I could see them getting Clowe, but that's about it.

Old
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofdrouin View Post
L.A. Lariviere ‏@L_A_theRiver 2m

L'agent de Clowe confirme que les Sharks tentent de l'échanger et que les Habs sont dans le portrait http://tvasports.ca/hockey/lnh/quand...-clowe-1042013 … #TransactionsLNH

http://tvasports.ca/hockey/lnh/quand...-clowe-1042013
Go MB!!!

Old
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
I think management and players should have a meeting before playoffs. The coaches and GM should just tell the guys they didn't want to mortgage the future because they believe in the team now and what they have accomplished this year. We might be surprised at how far the team can go in the playoffs without giving anything for rentals. Let Timmins then improve the teams prospect pool this year in a deep draft.
The only GM's that need to give any sort of explanation are the ones that are telegraphing what they are doing in the media. What does a conversation between Dave Nonis and James Reimer sound like after 3 days of chatting with Kiprusoff's agent?

"You're our guy James. Really. Honestly. We love you man. Sorry I have to take this call from Luongo's agent."

Old
04-01-2013, 11:46 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofdrouin View Post
L.A. Lariviere ‏@L_A_theRiver 2m

L'agent de Clowe confirme que les Sharks tentent de l'échanger et que les Habs sont dans le portrait http://tvasports.ca/hockey/lnh/quand...-clowe-1042013 … #TransactionsLNH

http://tvasports.ca/hockey/lnh/quand...-clowe-1042013
I just want this to be over with. You'd think Clowe wouldn't be playing because a deal is all but done. Come on!

Old
04-01-2013, 11:47 PM
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Here's my issue:

Markov will never be this good again.
Subban is having a monster season.
Pleks is having a monster season.
Prust is having a monster season.
Ryder is having a monster season.

How many of these guys will have seasons like this again? Subban, maybe?
Patches will have better years
Chuckie will be a beast
Gally will continue to improve
Beaulieu will be nhl capable
Tinordi will be a good shutdown D

I'd rather trust the quest for a cup to PK, beaulieu, galchenyuk then PK, Markov and pleks

The window for the older guys is shrinking but the window for these young guys is only getting bigger

Old
04-01-2013, 11:48 PM
Prospector

I'm kinda afraid Ryane Clowe pulls a Randy Mckay with our team (power forward past his prime coming to the habs slowing considerably).
I would love the Ryane Clowe of the last two years though..

Old
04-01-2013, 11:49 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfannick View Post
Chuckie will be a beast

I'd rather trust the quest for a cup to PK, beaulieu, galchenyuk then PK, Markov and pleks

The window for the older guys is shrinking but the window for these young guys is only getting bigger
I have a hard time thinking that we're gonna be that good next year.... If Gallagher and Gally hit the sophomore slump, we're doomed.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:49 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Here's my issue:

You are 100% correct sir.

Ryder probably will not even be here next year since he is playing so well.

And prospects will always be prospective players. Very little certainly that they will become impact players or marginal fringe NHL/AHL players.

History is littered with just as many 2nd rounders who did not pan out as there are those who are playing in the NHL.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:51 PM
Theosis
#freegalchenyuk

vCash: 1040
Quote:

Plekanec has always been pretty good for us... One of our best forwards year in, year out... Just that he actually has Bourque before he got injured and Ryder playing with him this year, which can actually score goals...

Old
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Chuckie will be a beast

We are going nowhere but up. Guaranteed.

The only reason for concern is whether MT can be this good over a long period of time. Not to take anything away from him but I think he's surrounded by a crack team of assistants. But that only means that sustaining this success long term is that much more certain.

Old
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
I think if they make a move it will be for a depth defenseman like Carkner and they will not pay much at all.

Clowe and Carkner would be a dream come true.

The playoff series between the Habs and Bruins or the Habs and Leafs would be about hockey............not gooning it up because we have no way to stop it.

Old
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
I have a hard time thinking that we're gonna be that good next year.... If Gallagher and Gally hit the sophomore slump, we're doomed.
I'm not talking next year I'm talking 2-4 years

Old
04-01-2013, 11:53 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
I'm not talking next year I'm talking 2-4 years
You know how many times I have heard this in the last 20 years?

If you said twenty, you would be correct.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:56 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m
All quiet on Ryane Clowe trade front and likely to remain so until tomorrow. Barring any other transactions tonite, talk to you tomorrow.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:57 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post

If this was 6 weeks ago, I would have said we could use a scoring winger and a 4th line centreman.

Now we are down to a solid defenceman.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:59 PM
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
You know how many times I have heard this in the last 20 years?

If you said twenty, you would be correct.
What else dyou want me to say? Trade the lot for guys with a window of 2 months-2 years of possible productivity? You keep what you have this group got this far let it go on... They could be a Cinderella team and if not we still have a future to bank on and don't talk to me about 20 years, I've been a habs fan my whole life and I've never seen a cup not 20 years without one a lifetime without one

Old
04-02-2013, 12:00 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
Here's my issue:

I'd take that with a grain of salt. Yes some guys Plekanec, Subban, Prust are having an amazing season, but as far as I'm concern, no1 really is surprised about that. These guys are known to show up each game and give it all out. Plekanec is 1 of the most stable NHL player I know. As for how will our team look next year as opposed to this year. I tend to think we'll have an even better team. Our core is rather young still and I think we'll be just as competitive if not more if we keep trimming out the dry leaves and watch the flowers blossom. The garden still has alot of place to expand. We just need to be patient.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:05 AM
Hemlor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Clowe and Carkner would be a dream come true.

The playoff series between the Habs and Bruins or the Habs and Leafs would be about hockey............not gooning it up because we have no way to stop it.
What recent playoff series were the 'Hab's' gooned? Let either of those teams try to 'goon' it up and the Hab's will torch them on the PP. That is a much better deterrent then trying to match them physically

Old
04-02-2013, 12:24 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Here's my issue:

Oddly enough, that's also the reason why it's better to stand pat/not deal high picks/top prospects.

- If Markov is on the brink of sucking, it can and likely will happen this playoffs too. He hasn't played more than 45 games in a row since 2009. He can also get injured right before season's end/mid playoffs...only happened 3 times in the past 5 years. Is this team even good enough to win a game without him?

- If the historically streaky Ryder falls off his current 25 game run of being point/game and goes back to his career norm pace, it can and likely will happen this playoffs too. Ryder is not a ppg player, his hot streak will likely end this season. His production overall will likely regress to the mean sooner than later. Despite his current hot streak...he still is on pace for 60-65 points over 82 games.

- Plekanec is playing at a 62 point pace...Plekanec has 361 points in his last 519 games (his total career totals minus his rookie season). This production over 82 games = 57 points. If anything, him not getting production around that will be surprising.

- Prust has yet to return to the form he was pre-injury...might not have to wait long for his monster season to become more average.

What kind of cup contender would this team be if they won't be a cup contender a few months from now in October. What's the guarantee this team even be good in May if that's the case? What will adding some secondary pieces do in a 7 game series if at the end of the day, this team is just on a collective hot streak on the brink of ending?

If this team is a contender now, it should be next season. At that point, there's little risk in adding for a cup run as this would be a legit 'cup contender'. If this team ***** the bed down the stretch/1st round against a low seed, we'll know it was just a 'pretender/fluke'. Adding Clowe/some #4 D wouldn't get an overachieving bubble playoff team (something this team has shown to be in the past) a cup contender.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:49 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Oddly enough, that's also the reason why it's better to stand pat/not deal high picks/top prospects.

- If Markov is on the brink of sucking, it can and likely will happen this playoffs too. He hasn't played more than 45 games in a row since 2009. He can also get injured right before season's end/mid playoffs...only happened 3 times in the past 5 years. Is this team even good enough to win a game without him?

- If the historically streaky Ryder falls off his current 25 game run of being point/game and goes back to his career norm pace, it can and likely will happen this playoffs too. Ryder is not a ppg player, his hot streak will likely end this season. His production overall will likely regress to the mean sooner than later. Despite his current hot streak...he still is on pace for 60-65 points over 82 games.

- Plekanec is playing at a 62 point pace...Plekanec has 361 points in his last 519 games (his total career totals minus his rookie season). This production over 82 games = 57 points. If anything, him not getting production around that will be surprising.

- Prust has yet to return to the form he was pre-injury...might not have to wait long for his monster season to become more average.

What kind of cup contender would this team be if they won't be a cup contender a few months from now in October. What's the guarantee this team even be good in May if that's the case? What will adding some secondary pieces do in a 7 game series if at the end of the day, this team is just on a collective hot streak on the brink of ending?

If this team is a contender now, it should be next season. At that point, there's little risk in adding for a cup run as this would be a legit 'cup contender'. If this team ***** the bed down the stretch/1st round against a low seed, we'll know it was just a 'pretender/fluke'. Adding Clowe/some #4 D wouldn't get an overachieving bubble playoff team (something this team has shown to be in the past) a cup contender.
In that case we should go ahead and sell assets. We could get a lot of Ryder. Why don't we?

waffledave
Old
04-02-2013, 12:57 AM
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
In that case we should go ahead and sell assets. We could get a lot of Ryder. Why don't we?
Why can't people just understand the middle ground... We aren't selling but shouldn't be buying

Old
04-02-2013, 01:05 AM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Why can't people just understand the middle ground... We aren't selling but shouldn't be buying
We're 2nd in the Eastern Conference. Yet, on road games, you're playing 5 d-men only. What about just giving a pick or two to fix it, and, you know, actually reward the players and give them a decent chance of doing some damage in the playoffs.

Reading Watsateo's comment you'd think we're ready to fall off the map in less than a season and that we're doomed to come back on earth and revert back into the team of last year (even though there are no similarities between both teams), but for christ sake. This team has needs, this team has showed it can be very hard to beat, and in a shortened season like this, EVERYTHING is opened. Nobody can guarantee things will click as well next season, or the one after for the matter. This is ridiculous to think performances are linear in such a competitive league. It's not a matter of being a bad team looking good. It's a matter of getting everything rolling for you, and this year, it certainly looks as though.

Now, what's so dramatic about dealing one of our MULTIPLE 2nd rounders and add something on top of that to get a player who fits a real need, such as Robyn Regehr? How does that mortgage the future in any way?

Are the Montreal Canadiens going to be any less competitive without a Louis Leblanc or a Michael Bournival out there in a few years (because let's be honest, that's what most SUCCESSFUL 2nd rounders amount to)?

Old
04-02-2013, 01:07 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
who knows, maybe that was the plan all along... but with Bourque taking so long to come back and the team playing so well, "flipping" him became a lot harder.

If they don't plan on re-signing him (or if the talks haven't at least started and they are in the same ballpark), I hope they strongly consider moving him.

with the deals that have gone and the dearth of quality seemingly available, Ryder could fetch a 1st & a solid prospect.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:12 AM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
who knows, maybe that was the plan all along... but with Bourque taking so long to come back and the team playing so well, "flipping" him became a lot harder.

If they don't plan on re-signing him (or if the talks haven't at least started and they are in the same ballpark), I hope they strongly consider moving him.

with the deals that have gone and the dearth of quality seemingly available, Ryder could fetch a 1st & a solid prospect.
Wait... wait a minute.

You actually want a team ranked 2nd to consider moving their top scorer?

There's a limit to being obsessed with assets and prospects. With the 18th pick in a reportedly rather strong draft at the time, we picked a pure bust who's becoming the softest asset this team has ever had since Ben Maxwell.

Iginla fetched a low 1st and 2 B-ranked prospects. Ryder wouldn't fetch as much as that. And odds are none of those assets turn out to be as valuable as Ryder is to this team right now.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:14 AM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 597
If we do acquire Clowe, I hope to God we don't cave and sign him long term. Please don't.

Closed Thread