HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs on Tradecentre Part 5 (Who do you want at the deadline/in free agency?) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2013, 12:15 AM
Saintpatrick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfannick View Post
Why can't people just understand the middle ground... We aren't selling but shouldn't be buying
Exactly. The teams that add that piece at the trade deadline are the teams that are closer to a cup than we are. Why mortgage the future for a long shot at a cup now when we could stand pat develop our prospects and become a contender for many years to come? Don't get me wrong I've been waiting for 20 years for another championship but the smart thing to do here is not overpay for a marginal player who may or may not help you in the playoffs.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:19 AM
DJ Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardking89 View Post
Exactly. The teams that add that piece at the trade deadline are the teams that are closer to a cup than we are. Why mortgage the future for a long shot at a cup now when we could stand pat develop our prospects and become a contender for many years to come? Don't get me wrong I've been waiting for 20 years for another championship but the smart thing to do here is not overpay for a marginal player who may or may not help you in the playoffs.
but are we really a middle of the road team? We are 2nd best in the east and have been a really good team all year why not keep it rolling, ya never know when you'll have another shot at going to the cup finals, i'm not totally saying we should morgage the future but we have alot of d prospects and 3 second round picks they are all not gonna turn out to be stars so why keep them all? People on this board thing every player on the ahl or jr team is a star and every draft pick will turn out to be a star it's simply not true, have to trust that mb and his team know which ones will turn out

Old
04-02-2013, 12:20 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardking89 View Post
So trade the guys who aren't part of the future now. Trade them all for precious draft picks. We'll be contenders later so it doesn't matter. With more draft picks we'll be the next Pittsburgh Penguins.

waffledave
Old
04-02-2013, 12:20 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

One player that seems to be available is Burmistrov from the Winnipeg Jets. Our 1st and Leblanc and maybe a bit more would be what I'd be willing to spend on him, seems like his time is done in Winnipeg.

He'd be a better fit here, especially on a line with either Eller or Galchenyuk and he'd do well, imo.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:28 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
So trade the guys who aren't part of the future now. Trade them all for precious draft picks. We'll be contenders later so it doesn't matter. With more draft picks we'll be the next Pittsburgh Penguins.
I know I shouldn't be surprised with this global attitude while reading HFBoards. But I just keep getting surprised at how much people value prospective picks/assets over proven value.

Listen to this people;

From year to year, even excellent teams can fall a little and have a down year. Multiple factors affect your chances;

Luck, health, chemestry, timing, timed wins/fights/moments

These things don't happen every year. And this year, it just keeps rolling our way (knocks on wood). Without selling the farm, maybe, you know, trading a 2nd round pick to improve our chances might not be that bad of an idea?

But then again, who am I kidding...

Old
04-02-2013, 12:43 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
One player that seems to be available is Burmistrov from the Winnipeg Jets. Our 1st and Leblanc and maybe a bit more would be what I'd be willing to spend on him, seems like his time is done in Winnipeg.

He'd be a better fit here, especially on a line with either Eller or Galchenyuk and he'd do well, imo.
You would spend a 1st, Leblanc and a bit more for Burmistrov? Seriously?

I know he's young and has the talent and obviously the potential, but that is a lot to spend on a very unproven player.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:43 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
I know I shouldn't be surprised with this global attitude while reading HFBoards. But I just keep getting surprised at how much people value prospective picks/assets over proven value.

Listen to this people;

From year to year, even excellent teams can fall a little and have a down year. Multiple factors affect your chances;

Luck, health, chemestry, timing, timed wins/fights/moments

These things don't happen every year. And this year, it just keeps rolling our way (knocks on wood). Without selling the farm, maybe, you know, trading a 2nd round pick to improve our chances might not be that bad of an idea?

But then again, who am I kidding...
Timmins will draft a few Malkins with those picks, we can't spare a single one.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:02 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Lots of talk about Pominville. For one, I think that Pominville = Plekanec, so we don't need him.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:16 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post

I know he's young and has the talent and obviously the potential, but that is a lot to spend on a very unproven player.
Well to be fair he's the same age as Leblanc and IMO has already shown more but if anything they are too similar for that deal to make sense. Both are two way forwards with solid upside but Burmi has already proven to be good enough to be a valuable NHLer.

There's reasons to doubt Burmi's upside though, I think Leblanc + for him could be a nice move but not Leblanc and a first +.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:20 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Lots of talk about Pominville. For one, I think that Pominville = Plekanec, so we don't need him.
Unless we can trade DD in a package for Clowe? Getting Pominville and Clowe would be really something.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:28 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post

Almost every year we waste our 1st round pick on an "unproven" player. That is the way the system works and Burmistrov is a lot more proven then either Leblanc or our 1st.

We're not getting a player like Drouin with our pick, maybe Hagg, Dickinson or Horvat and I would much rather have Burmistrov then one of those prospects + Leblanc.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:43 AM
attachetatuque
un gros bonhomme!

Quote:

Burmistrov is not what we need right now. We have an abundance of players with the same skillset. If we are trading a first rounder and/or prospect, it's not going to be for a flashy unproven non-physical playmaker/dangler, it's for some grit and toughness or leadership mate.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:55 AM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
Unless we can trade DD in a package for Clowe? Getting Pominville and Clowe would be really something.
So Eller centers Pomminville and Pacioretty? It's too early for that, maybe next year Eller will be good enough.

Old
04-02-2013, 02:15 AM
DJ Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
you you really nailed it

Old
04-02-2013, 02:44 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by daGreenGiant View Post
Burmistrov is not what we need right now. We have an abundance of players with the same skillset. If we are trading a first rounder and/or prospect, it's not going to be for a flashy unproven non-physical playmaker/dangler, it's for some grit and toughness or leadership mate.
I'm getting him for the long-term and not all Russians are non-physical playmaker/danglers.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:16 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Based on what he has done so far no way I trade a 1st plus LeBlanc for him. Plus, where do you put him? He isn't a 4th liner and with Bourque on the way back the top 9 is already crowded.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:27 AM
TennisMenace

Teams who sell want to sell older higher priced vets, not up and coming prospects.

I do not want rentals or guys long in the tooth. We aren't that desperate, but I will say, I believe this shortened season favors us, so make inquiries and see if we can steal a good player from a bad team.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:31 AM
TennisMenace

Why does anyone think DD will or even could be traded? He's not going anywhere.
Personally, I'd like to swap him for a more physical wide body, but the writing is on the wall- DD is a Hab for many years.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:42 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by daGreenGiant View Post
One of Burmistrov's biggest assets is his defensive play. Kind of in the same mould as Plekanec, not overly big or physical but very difficult to play against. It might be because we have that type of "abundance" that our team is so difficult to play against? If you can roll three lines that are capable of being shutdown lines AND scoring lines, why not?

Old
04-02-2013, 05:59 AM
JusticeBeaver
Twitter: @gar****al

Quote:
Almost every year we waste our 1st round pick on an "unproven" player. That is the way the system works and Burmistrov is a lot more proven then either Leblanc or our 1st.

We're not getting a player like Drouin with our pick, maybe Hagg, Dickinson or Horvat and I would much rather have Burmistrov then one of those prospects + Leblanc.
Wow what were you guys smoking last night. Wasted first rounders? Guess who assisted on the game winner last night? A wasted first rounder in Beaulieu. Tinordi is coming right along as well. Leblanc takes a set back and now we waste picks? I hope you are trolling because that is a ridiculous statement. Prospects take time, even first rounders.

As for Burmistrov, I can agree he is not a soft floater type, and he is great on the PK. I watched him many games in his AHL stint this year and he was the #1 guy on the ice every time. (Here it comes..) However, he is still a work in progress, much like any of our prospects. Further along more than others yes, but we have got our hands full of prospects right now. Other than that, he doesn't fit the bill of our need. Not a hard hitting top end forward, or defencemen.

Old
04-02-2013, 06:08 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
That's a weird comparison. Pominville plays wing...

Pominville would be a great addition and really solidify our scoring on the wings.

Old
04-02-2013, 06:13 AM
Halifaxhab*

It looks like Bourque will be back for the playoffs, Diaz maybe...we'll see

there is a top 9 fwd and top 4 Dman

We need some size on the right side of the blue line who can eat 3rd pair minutes to give a breather to our top 4

Two RH Dmen rentals are

Ryan O'Byrne
Tyson Strachan

these two shouldn't cost too much either....at most a 3rd

If we are going to try and get a forward, we should aim at someone that fills the bottom 6 and plays similar to Prust...McLeod. He could be had for a prospect or a pick as well.

one or two small tweeks. We have the pieces in place now to compete, add some depth. No need to go whole hog crazy and mortgage the future this season.

Old
04-02-2013, 06:20 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticeBeaver View Post
Wow what were you guys smoking last night. Wasted first rounders? Guess who assisted on the game winner last night? A wasted first rounder in Beaulieu. Tinordi is coming right along as well. Leblanc takes a set back and now we waste picks? I hope you are trolling because that is a ridiculous statement. Prospects take time, even first rounders.

As for Burmistrov, I can agree he is not a soft floater type, and he is great on the PK. I watched him many games in his AHL stint this year and he was the #1 guy on the ice every time. (Here it comes..) However, he is still a work in progress, much like any of our prospects. Further along more than others yes, but we have got our hands full of prospects right now. Other than that, he doesn't fit the bill of our need. Not a hard hitting top end forward, or defencemen.
I think he meant that a 1st round pick gives us.. a first-round unproven prospect. Totologie; but he's not entirely wrong there.

Not saying he's entirely right either, tho.

Old
04-02-2013, 06:25 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticeBeaver View Post

But does he fit the Habs' need in ~2 years? Absolutely he does. Based on where most of our key players will start peaking and where guys like Plekanec will start to decline, we need that new wave of younger guys (Beaulieu, Tinordi, Burmistrov/Leblanc) to step in and make an impact, just as Pacioretty and Subban Eller have. I think Bergevin's goal is to create a consistently competitive team.

Old
04-02-2013, 06:32 AM
JusticeBeaver
Twitter: @gar****al

Well I cannot deny that.

I might have jumped the gun as I think most of our first rounders have been coming right along, and thought it was a knock on them but that's not the point. Burmi isn't exactly proven, but yes he is progressed more along than leblanc + whoever we draft this year.

Is it a priority move? No. Does it provide options for next year, definitely.

Closed Thread