HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoffs: Sens or Leafs

View Poll Results: Leafs or Sens
Leafs 94 54.65%
Sens 42 24.42%
Same difference 36 20.93%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-31-2013, 12:45 PM
The Newfoundlander
HFboards reaction.

vCash: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I guess Reimer is no Ben Bishop, using your logic.
Lol. His logic was fine. Bishop plays for the best defensive team in the league

The Newfoundlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 01:45 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
I voted same difference but for the best rivalry in sports a Leafs HABS series would be oout of this world.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 05:15 PM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
It depends on how the teams finish and their injury status. If the Habs finish behind the Bruins and land in 4th they would probably face Toronto or Ottawa. If Spezza returns for the playoffs, I'd rather have them play Toronto.

If the Habs finish atop the East Division they wouldn't face either Toronto or Ottawa in the first round. Instead, the Bruins would finish 4th and face the higher ranked of the two while the other would face the leader of the Southeast Division. Assuming that the Habs dispose of the 7th ranking team in the first round they might face the other, but only if that team upsets the Southeast Division leader.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 05:21 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Leafs would be fun!

Sens ( and Devils ) would most likely suck.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:46 PM
Valois

Changed my mind after reading this thread. Definitely leafs.

Valois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:58 PM
Johnny Budwick

A Leafs-Canadiens series would be insane literally. I'd bet maybe, maximum 10 millions of Canadians watching that series on CBC.

Could be easily the most watched series on HNIC of all time.

I begrudingly respect the Leafs for their very good turnaround and performance this year, but honestly, Ottawa is the scarier team. They're disclipined, patient, smart, deceptively good and are tenacious-the kind of team who can make serious damage to you if you make the slightest mistake.

Ottawa is a upset team. Enough said.

And they have better guys in net. Reimer/Scrivens have proved to be at least nice NHL-calibre goalies compared to what Toronto had before(Toskala, Gustavsson, Tellqvist, Aubin, Belfour Raycroft etc) but I don't view them as goalies who can steal a series on their own imo.

That being said, I want to win the cup and having a great, intense, physical and emotional first-round series ain't in the best interests of the Habs.

I want to see a nice little matchup in the first round, in which the Habs advance in 4 or 5 games without much noise, fuss or critical injuries.

Bring me the Rags. Let the Bruins struggle with one of Leafs/Sens and be done with them.

Last edited by Johnny Budwick: 03-31-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Johnny Budwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 11:00 PM
Asif16*

Leafs just solely based on the Atmosphere and Coverage. The series would take Canada by storm. Leafs-Habs all day man. Sens are a good team, but it doesnt have the ring to it like Leafs/habs.

This is a no brainer for me

Asif16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:00 AM
habtastic

I'm sure everyone remember how nerve wracking it is to watch Habs-Bruins in the playoffs. Can you imagine Habs-Leafs? We would need to get a 4 goal leaf quickly in every game just to bring people's heart rates to safe levels. But that's the fun part about hockey I guess.

If we play the leafs (and I think we will) - better f'ing win.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:00 PM
Rehab

If we finish 2nd, it's looking increasingly likely we'll face the Rangers in the first round. The Devils have a very tough schedule ahead of them and I can see the Rangers catching them. I know there's a lot of hockey between now and then but what an ideal first round opponent they'd be. We have owned the Rangers this year.

Rehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 01:36 AM
CN_paladin

I don't care about how intense and unreal it'd be if we faced the Leafs! I just want us to get to the second round! With Spezza and Karlson being uncertain for the playoffs, playing the Sens is a no brained for me!

CN_paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 01:49 AM
attachetatuque
un gros bonhomme!

I can very easily see the Leafs NOT making the playoffs! Washington clinches 8th seed and Toronto finished 9th. If they indeed do make it, I'd rather play TO over OTT, just because it's the Leafs and there's no way they are getting past us or whoever they are matching up against in the 1st round.

attachetatuque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 06:54 AM
RealityBytes
Trash Remover

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by daGreenGiant View Post
I can very easily see the Leafs NOT making the playoffs! Washington clinches 8th seed and Toronto finished 9th. If they indeed do make it, I'd rather play TO over OTT, just because it's the Leafs and there's no way they are getting past us or whoever they are matching up against in the 1st round.
"Just because it's the Leafs" ??? ... sounds like you are talking based on last year's news. The Leafs are only around 2 to 3 games behind the Habs and tied with Ottawa, are a much bigger team now with a lot of tough guys (might as well call them the Bay Street bullies), plus some rising snipers like Kadri and Lupul. It is doubtful that they will miss make the playoffs. Right now, the Leafs have no glaring weak point except perhaps the goalie Reimer, but as posted in the NHL news, the Leafs are in contact with Calgary over getting Kiprusoff. If that or something like it comes about, that plugs that last hole.

Montreal would have a very hard time against them and in my opinion, wouldn't be able to stand up against the physical play, and even if Montreal did win, they would be battered to a pulp by what would be a very rough tough series going into the second round.

Ottawa with all their injuries should be the Habs choice to play, not the Leafs. Toronto is not a team to laugh at anymore and could surprise others in the playoffs especially if they do get a better goalie.

RealityBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 07:41 AM
hockeyfan2k11

I don't want to face either team. I'd rather face the Bruins. I think I'd rather face the Sens. Having to deal with a Habs/Lefs playoff series while living in Toronto may be too much for my heart to take.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:30 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Leafs, Sens will have Spezza back and they are good.
Nah, he's still out for at least a month from what I've read.

Toronto is a team built for the 1st round. The 1st round is a lot more physical and a lot more fighting. Toronto will be a tough team to beat in the 1st round. 2nd round is when key special teams and depth come into play. Not how many heavies you carry.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:55 AM
Teufelsdreck

The optimal scenario would be to overtake the Penguins for first in the East.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:05 AM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
I'm really scared of the Sens. Leafs would still be tough but there's something about the Sens that makes me really fear them.

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 06:28 PM
dutchy29

I chose sens because I could not deal with a playoff loss to the Leafs, (even thou we could beat them) The Sens without Karleson would be the best time to match up against them.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:05 PM
Dekar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
The optimal scenario would be to overtake the Penguins for first in the East.
And take a chance at playing Islanders in the first round?

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:15 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
And take a chance at playing Islanders in the first round?

Or Washington gets their crack at "revenge" and Ribeiro gets some glory in the process.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:27 PM
Dekar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prallchengher View Post
Or Washington gets their crack at "revenge" and Ribeiro gets some glory in the process.
Or the Rangers get revenge for the regular season sweep.

First place has the makings of a horror story for us

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:53 PM
habtastic

Ya I really do wonder how much magic we've used up against the Rangers. It would be terrifying to know that we've dominated them thoroughly. Only one way to go from there. That said, please Rangers first round! Deal with Leafs/Pens/Sens/Boston later.

Old
04-03-2013, 12:04 AM
Donmega

Leafs - Habs. Would be most epic, emotion driven playoff series. The rivalry is already pretty intense so imagine how much more intense the series would be.

Donmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:12 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmega View Post
Leafs - Habs. Would be most epic, emotion driven playoff series. The rivalry is already pretty intense so imagine how much more intense the series would be.
Imagine the potential for a live makeout session with Don and Nazem if the Leafs win a game. Won't even get into if they win the series.

Would be intense as hell though. I feel like the leafs have less to lose or will pull that card even though they/you finished above us last year. I'm also pretty certain that the way the standings are panning out, it will be Habs-Leafs. Blood pressure meds will be flying off the shelves.

Old
04-03-2013, 12:34 AM
ottawa*
go habs go

vCash: 50
Leafs aren't good...but they find ways to beat us. Gimme the sens + I could watch the habs/sens games here in Ottawa

ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:40 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
Leafs aren't good...but they find ways to beat us. Gimme the sens + I could watch the habs/sens games here in Ottawa
I dunno, the leafs are honestly a good team. They've insulated Reimer and have some serious offensive punch and a wily coach.

Just in advance of the leaf who quotes Reimer's save% vs Price's -- you're not fooling anyone with Mr. "I have NO idea where the puck is." We know who you'd rather have, even though he gets scrutinized to death by our own fanbase.

I would LOVE to see another battle of Ontario, but obviously that can't happen standings wise unless something miraculous happens.

I would like facing the Sens as well, but it would be really really tough. Spezza coming back as well as Anderson (Cowen too, Michalek likely...crap) -- that's a team that could go very deep in the playoffs unless a tire comes loose/they get very unlucky. We would need all the bounces in that series. Also, Alfie is kinda good against us.