HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Blues Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2013, 01:10 AM
Boromir Jagr*

vCash: 500
there's a difference between can play center and should play center and oshie should not play center cause when he did it wasn't good times it was bad times

Old
03-30-2013, 01:12 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Osh is every bit as fast as Berglund and Backes I'm not advocating putting Oshie at center, but speed is not the issue.
Oshie just skates very hard, he doesn't have the same speed as them. He is very agile and has quick bursts, but that isn't ideal for center in a 200 ft role.

Old
03-30-2013, 01:15 AM
GrandPapillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
My take is that he was more pleasantly surprised than thinking it could be a full-time thing. I don't think he has the speed to be an effective 200 foot center.
It could be. The article also mentioned Oshie's other brief stints at center being good as well. This is in line with what I remember as well. Of course, I doubt an article is going to say that "Oshie was a dumpster fire at center, but the Blues were out of options so they figured what the hell".

Could he play the position for 82 games? I have no idea. I just remember him filling in there nicely a few times and being productive there in college. With Schwartz, Steen (who I agree is better at wing but a capable center), and maybe Lehtera, it isn't as if the Blues would have to go all-in on the idea, but it could be worth a look.

Old
03-30-2013, 06:03 AM
stlweir

Rattie with a 5 point night 3 goals + 2 assists.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:18 AM
Blues0307

Rattie steps his game up when it matters, that's my favorite attribute of his.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:24 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Schmaltz' North Dakota season ended today when they lost to Yale.

What prospects are still playing?

Rattie – Portland, WHL (up 3-1 in first round)
Edmundson – Kamloops, WHL (up 3-1 in first round)
Binnington – Owen Sound, OHL (up 3-2 in first round)
MacEachern – Chicago, USHL (playoffs start soon)

Tesink's team still playing but he's injured. Tremblay's team, Val D'Or is still playing but he's the backup. None of the European prospects are still playing.

Eminian also reported today that Fairchild and Beach are done for the season with injuries.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:19 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Bad night in the Dub. Rattie no points, lose at home Game 5 with an opportunity to close out the series. Edmundson no points -3, lose at home Game 5 with an opportunity to close out the series.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:41 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Only 4 teams make USHL playoffs in each division this season so MacEachern will be done soon. Presumably a one and done guy and will head to Michigan State next year but it's possible he stays another year.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:25 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
Only 4 teams make USHL playoffs in each division this season so MacEachern will be done soon. Presumably a one and done guy and will head to Michigan State next year but it's possible he stays another year.
It was six last year per division. Did they change it to four?

Old
03-31-2013, 03:52 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
It was six last year per division. Did they change it to four?
Yes. And then it's going back to six next year apparently. The powers that be in the league are infamous for making decisions that lack any semblance of analysis and foresight.

Old
03-31-2013, 05:16 PM
stlweir

I've always liked team toughness. I hope Edmundson is a LD that developers into an NHL defenseman. He is a big tough SOB. Jaskin bangs a lot. Don't know if he is much of a fighter but he is big and skilled. Hakaaa is a big dude. Don't know if he plays with a physical edge. These guys give their teammates more skating room.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:37 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

All this Center talk makes me wonder, the 'Notes Prospects at Center are bleak even with Lehtera & McRae, and they are no sure future NHL'ers either. You would think the Center position should be the Top priority in the 2013 Entry Draft.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:52 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlueSince1972 View Post
All this Center talk makes me wonder, the 'Notes Prospects at Center are bleak even with Lehtera & McRae, and they are no sure future NHL'ers either. You would think the Center position should be the Top priority in the 2013 Entry Draft.
There are some pretty good centers who will probably be available where the Blues pick. Some of them have flaws but interesting potential, while others are well-rounded, but with seemingly less upside.

I have a feeling they'll be looking to trade up to target their favorite center in their relative range, but if they can't, they'll draft defense. Maybe that's not saying much, but just from what I've read and watched, that's not just my hope, that's my feeling about how the Blues think.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:55 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlueSince1972 View Post
I hope so too. Maybe even target one and trade up if necessary. Even if Lethera comes over, I really think they should make a deal to acquire an AHL level rookie center like the deal mentioned previously of a McDonald for a Chris Wagner or something similar. Look at the KHL free agents and try to lure one of over that jumped their with the lockout like a Josh Hennessey or a KHL former NHLer like Petri Kontiola. We have no one capable of stepping in should injuries arise.

Old
04-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Alklha

Same thing as always when it comes to the draft... best player available. Will we put ourselves in a position to select a good C? Maybe, but I'd much rather see us move up for Nichushkin if he was to fall. Keep watching him in the KHL playoffs and if is available at 8, I'd overpay to move up.

Most of the mid/late first round talent probably project as wingers. There are a few good centres who will be available in the second/third round though (Marko Daňo, John Hayden etc), that is probably the best time to pick one up.

Again though, if our wing prospects continue to work out then our proven guys will ultimately be used as trade chips for futures allowing us to address needs within our system.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:09 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Same thing as always when it comes to the draft... best player available. Will we put ourselves in a position to select a good C? Maybe, but I'd much rather see us move up for Nichushkin if he was to fall. Keep watching him in the KHL playoffs and if is available at 8, I'd overpay to move up.

Most of the mid/late first round talent probably project as wingers. There are a few good centres who will be available in the second/third round though (Marko Daňo, John Hayden etc), that is probably the best time to pick one up.

Again though, if our wing prospects continue to work out then our proven guys will ultimately be used as trade chips for futures allowing us to address needs within our system.
I agree with you. We do need to make it a point to draft a few though. We haven't been and it has created a void. If we can move up reasonably, then we probably should.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
I agree with you. We do need to make it a point to draft a few though. We haven't been and it has created a void. If we can move up reasonably, then we probably should.
The reason I keep mentioning Nichushkin is that I suspect he'll be the only one worth moving up for. Unless our scouts absolutely love one prospect, I don't think there is much of a difference between the guys at, for example, 12 and 25 this year. Last season I thought there was value in moving up.

All that said, I think we are probably more likely to be trading our first at the draft this year. Just the way that Army has been talking, the fact we'll have a better understanding of our finances going forward and that we could go after players with 1 year left on their deals and immediately sign them to an extension.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:34 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Edmundson has 3 assists already after two periods and is +2. Kamloops leads 5-2 trying to close out the series in six.

Portland is up 4-1 trying to close out the series in 6, but somehow Rattie has no points and is -1.

Old
04-02-2013, 06:23 AM
execwrite

from pjstar.com

The Blues, meanwhile, are sending winger Yannick Veilleux to the Rivermen.

A fourth-round pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, Veilleux had 34 goals and 39 assists in 65 games for AHL Moncton in the Western Hockey League this season.

With his junior team now eliminated from the playoffs, he is eligible to join the Rivermen, and will do so on Tuesday.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:09 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
from pjstar.com

A fourth-round pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, Veilleux had 34 goals and 39 assists in 65 games for AHL Moncton in the Western Hockey League this season.

With his junior team now eliminated from the playoffs, he is eligible to join the Rivermen, and will do so on Tuesday.
And of those 34 goals, 21 were scored on the power play... seeing as how Peoria's power play has struggled all year, Veilleux could be a big help down the final stretch for the Rivs.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:46 AM
sdaltons

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
from pjstar.com

i love to see Peoria getting all these guys. looking forward to seeing how Veilleux does. and Peoria adding Walters will help make up for losing Cundari. and along with them, Hakanpaa, Andronov, and Wannstrom all coming over shows the Blues are doing a good job of making use of their draft picks.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Alklha

Heard there is no movement with Jaškin. He'll be speaking to Slavia with his agent in the coming weeks.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:15 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Lavoie says the Blues have signed Dmitrij Jaskin.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Alklha

Spoke to a Czech friend and he said Slavia weren't having contract talks with anyone until their season was over. Of course we sign him a day later.

By the way.. Konstantin Barulin will definitely not be signing

Old
04-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Livin On Blues Power
Rookie User

Dropped this in the Jaskin thread -

Current returns are no indication of future results etc etc ...

But if you check tsn's player (fantasy) rankings you'll notice a pattern:

Rookie: 4. Frank
OHL: 2. Binnington
QMJHL: 2. Jaskin
WHL: 1. Rattie

Only the A isn't represented currently.

Closed Thread