HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Whistling the play dead

Old
04-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Nalens Oga
HeavenOrLasVegas

vCash: 2405
Whistling the play dead

I'm watching some old footage from the 60s and every time the puck goes into the boards for a battle with multiple players in there, the refs are fairly quick to blow the play dead and have a faceoff in the offensive zone. They don't seem to give the players more than a few seconds to move it out unlike today.

Am I just seeing things or is this actually how it was?

Nalens Oga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:13 PM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
I'm watching some old footage from the 60s and every time the puck goes into the boards for a battle with multiple players in there, the refs are fairly quick to blow the play dead and have a faceoff in the offensive zone. They don't seem to give the players more than a few seconds to move it out unlike today.

Yes. You should have noticed the longer shifts as well. Avoided unnecessary contact and fights.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:36 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post

Yep and it's something I have been hoping for the return of for a while now.

I would absolutely love to see the game get back into the middle of the ice again and away from mindless cycling.

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:09 PM
saskriders
Can't Hold Leads

vCash: 750
Wouldn't that just stop the flow of the game due to too many whistles?

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Canadiens1958

Game Flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Wouldn't that just stop the flow of the game due to too many whistles?
No.

Goalies freeze the puck needlessly today more often than players did freezing the puck along the boards previously.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:38 PM
saskriders
Can't Hold Leads

vCash: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
No.

Goalies freeze the puck needlessly today more often than players did freezing the puck along the boards previously.
Still, wouldn't being able to get a whistle give a scrambling defensive team even more incentive to try and get the puck trapped along the boards

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Canadiens1958

Delay of Game.

Quote:
Still, wouldn't being able to get a whistle give a scrambling defensive team even more incentive to try and get the puck trapped along the boards
No because the offensive player had the option of backing away and having a delay of game call go against the defensive team.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:06 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
No because the offensive player had the option of backing away and having a delay of game call go against the defensive team.
Ya, the rules are in the book, they just dont call them like they should. Start nailing these guys with Delay of Games, other penalties, same thing. I cant remember the last time I saw one called for Highsticking, Elbowing, Roughing; yet I see it every time I tune in. No call....

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 10:17 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

Not sure when it exactly changed to how its currently called, but I remember watching the 1979 playoffs and the refs were still whistling down play along on the boards very quickly that wasn't moving.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 10:20 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
There's a bit of a disconnect here because you're taking a game from the 1960s and asking about a change that occured in the 2000s.

During the Dead Puck Era, when teams were really heavy on cycling and grinding in the corners, players would freeze the puck along the boards as a defensive strategy. Put a skate on it, get a whistle, get your matchups set, take a few breaths, try for a faceoff win. This was also before they altered the faceoff rules, so if you were higher in the zone the faceoff would come out beyond the dot into a relatively awkward position for the offense.

I don't remember the exact year that they changed the enforcement standard and insisted that the puck be kept moving, but it seems like it was right around the lockout.

So to answer your question -- yes, this become enough of a problem that the league had to address it.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 06:42 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
Some people thought so, as early as 1974:

Quote:
While the free shot must still be approved by the NHL rules committee, President Clarence Campbell and Referee-in-chief Scotty Morrison said they expected no problem in having [t]he rule introduced. The idea is to remove one of hockey's most boring spectacles, that of a defender wedging the puck against he boards to force a faceoff ...
See: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1377921:

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote