HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who could the Flyers miss out on if they trade their 1st round pick this year?

Old
04-02-2013, 04:34 AM
Flyers Weekly

vCash: 500
Who could the Flyers miss out on if they trade their 1st round pick this year?

Quote:
With the trade deadline looming right around the corner, there is a lot of speculation that Paul Holmgren, GM of the Philadelphia Flyers, could trade his first round pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft to acquire a player to help the Flyers push their way into the playoffs. While this may be the Flyers’ way, doing so year after year is the reason why the Flyers’ prospect pool is ranked as one of the worst in the NHL. They are currently sitting pretty with the fifth overall pick in the draft, and here is a summary of the players that they could potentially end up with.

http://flyersweekly.com/?p=194

Note : Please excuse the crudeness of the site. Before launching it I had a better looking design and layout but a recent crash of my computer has lost that data. The site should be complete before the season is over.

Cheers.

Flyers Weekly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 06:43 AM
Roman Reigns
Hextall**Criss Angel

Im really hoping Homer keeps the pick, but Im not holding my breath.

Roman Reigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 06:47 AM
RoDu

need good youth

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 06:56 AM
StandingCow

Please save/use the pick for once... don't trade it away.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 06:57 AM
Snotbubbles

Darnell Nurses highlight reel is 1 minute of him being led to the penalty box and a fight. LOL!

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 07:08 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Why are people so worried about Homer trading the first rounder? He has only made one trade deadline deal involving a first, and it is one that I think without the benefit of hindsight, most of us would do again (team in contention, young player putting up solid numbers, under contract for another year). I'd be more concerned that he trades away Couturier or another young guy.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 07:14 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Why are people so worried about Homer trading the first rounder? He has only made one trade deadline deal involving a first, and it is one that I think without the benefit of hindsight, most of us would do again (team in contention, young player putting up solid numbers, under contract for another year). I'd be more concerned that he trades away Couturier or another young guy.
Regardless of the timing or the merits of individual moves, the flyers have only kept their 1st, what, twice since Holmgren took over? JVR and Laughton?

It isn't that much of a stretch to worry that Holmgren would move it at some point before the draft.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 04-02-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 07:19 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Nathan Mackinon number three? Let me guess the hype train got to you guys so Seth is #1 and drouin is #2.

MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 07:32 AM
nuclear reactor

Oh yeah, year after year the Flyers trade their first at the deadline. Just utter ignorance as usual.

nuclear reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:21 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Regardless of the timing or the merits of individual moves, the flyers have only kept their 1st, what, twice since Holmgren took over? JVR and Laughton?

It isn't that much of a stretch to worry that Holmgren would move it at some point before the draft.
I think his reputation for first rounders being trade is a bit skewed. He traded two in the Pronger deal (another deal I think most of us would do without the benefit of hindsight) and the Eminger one, which was clearly a mistake. I think he also traded a first to Nashville for Hartnell and Timonen's rights, another trade that I think most of us would do again. I'd be more concerned that he deals one of our young guns than our first rounder.

EDIT: I would also like to point out that 99% of the speculation about this year's first rounder is being created by irrational HFBoards members who are worried because the trade deadline is tomorrow. Certainly it is not impossible for Homer to make such a trade, but there has been no indication from anywhere (history, rumors, Homer, etc) that should make people think Homer was going to trade away the first rounder today or tomorrow. You might as well be just as worried about Homer trading Giroux, because there has been about the same amount of indication that he would trade a star player as there is that he would trade the first rounder tomorrow.

Last edited by DrinkFightFlyers: 04-02-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old
04-02-2013, 09:18 AM
RonHextall27

Obviously biased here, but if the Flyers continue to play this season the way they have and end up with one of Mac or Drouin, I would be a somewhat happy fan. Both of those kids are money.

RonHextall27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

If Homer really trade our 1st this year he isn´t healthy in his mind! No rental or even a acquisition for the next years (like Grossman) is worth it!

Maybe when he get a #1 goalie or #1 dman than i´am ok with it! But i highly doubt, that someone is selling one!

Homer would ruin our future with trading the 1st!!

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:24 AM
tuckrr

yeah..no. Homer is no fool, this is not the year to move a pick. When we got versteeg that looked like an amazing deal (and at the time was)...we are not even close to the same position we were in.

this season could easily go either way, better to play it safe.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 12:30 PM
King Fish

So say we so have a choice at number 2 with Drouin and McKinnon available who do you pick? Is it like the Sam Gagne/ Kane situation or is one way better than the other?

King Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:57 PM
TheTechNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fish View Post
So say we so have a choice at number 2 with Drouin and McKinnon available who do you pick? Is it like the Sam Gagne/ Kane situation or is one way better than the other?
You pick Drouin. Philly is likely the only team who could potentially pick second overall that shouldn't take MacKinnon. We don't have a need at all for Mac. An offensively gifted, clutch performing, scoring winger on the other hand would be useful to play beside Schenn. Mac could still go first, if he does thenbwe definitely take Jones.

TheTechNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
I think his reputation for first rounders being trade is a bit skewed. He traded two in the Pronger deal (another deal I think most of us would do without the benefit of hindsight) and the Eminger one, which was clearly a mistake. I think he also traded a first to Nashville for Hartnell and Timonen's rights, another trade that I think most of us would do again. I'd be more concerned that he deals one of our young guns than our first rounder.

EDIT: I would also like to point out that 99% of the speculation about this year's first rounder is being created by irrational HFBoards members who are worried because the trade deadline is tomorrow. Certainly it is not impossible for Homer to make such a trade, but there has been no indication from anywhere (history, rumors, Homer, etc) that should make people think Homer was going to trade away the first rounder today or tomorrow. You might as well be just as worried about Homer trading Giroux, because there has been about the same amount of indication that he would trade a star player as there is that he would trade the first rounder tomorrow.
Spending almost all your first rounders for veterans or players soon to hit FA is death for a prospect pool and inevitably borks the cap situation...as we've seen firsthand as fans. Homer has a history of trading his firsts; sometimes in poor deals. It's not unreasonable or irrational to believe there's a chance he does it again, considering his past patterns.

04-02-2013, 07:16 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

I don't think homer trades the 1st. Contrary to what a lot of people around here think, homer is not an idiot. Only way he trades the 1st is if the man up top instructs him to in order to make a fruitless push towards the playoffs.

Does anyone honestly believe it was homers call to sign bryzgolov? I for one do not.

I'm going to be very agitated if we trade the pick. It could potentially be any one of jones, Drouin, mackinnon, Barkov, Nurse or Lindholm at this point. We should be selling players and trying to get MORE 1sts if anything.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 07:18 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Spending almost all your first rounders for veterans or players soon to hit FA is death for a prospect pool and inevitably borks the cap situation...as we've seen firsthand as fans. Homer has a history of trading his firsts; sometimes in poor deals. It's not unreasonable or irrational to believe there's a chance he does it again, considering his past patterns.
What poor deals besides Eminger? None of his first round pick trades were for players on expiring contracts. Versteeg had another year and was an RFA at the conclusion of that year IIRC. Versteeg, in hindsight was not a good move. Pronger suffered a freak career ending injury. But again, without hindsight, I think those trades most reasonable people would do over again.

I assume you will say the Versteeg trade was bad and you wouldn't do it again, so in advance of that, I would ask why. He was a young player, under contract, putting up good numbers. The team was in first place when the trade was made and coming off of a year where they went to the Cup Finals. Are you telling me you would not have attempted to improve your team, which was obviously a Cup contender, but rather would have held on to that first rounder and hoped that next year (or a couple years down the road) your team was in the same position?

Old
04-02-2013, 07:22 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
Nathan Mackinon number three? Let me guess the hype train got to you guys so Seth is #1 and drouin is #2.
Drouin can play wing. Mack who knows? But we know our current centers cannot.

PALE PWNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
I do not see Holmgren trading the 1st rounder either. Not saying he won't but I seriously doubt it.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 07:32 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I don't think homer trades the 1st. Contrary to what a lot of people around here think, homer is not an idiot. Only way he trades the 1st is if the man up top instructs him to in order to make a fruitless push towards the playoffs.

Does anyone honestly believe it was homers call to sign bryzgolov? I for one do not.

I'm going to be very agitated if we trade the pick. It could potentially be any one of jones, Drouin, mackinnon, Barkov, Nurse or Lindholm at this point. We should be selling players and trying to get MORE 1sts if anything.

I agree but who? All our chips are hurt and I really do not want to move any of the youth core. Frodo getting hurt really banged us up.

Old
04-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Weekly View Post
http://flyersweekly.com/?p=194

Note : Please excuse the crudeness of the site. Before launching it I had a better looking design and layout but a recent crash of my computer has lost that data. The site should be complete before the season is over.

Cheers.
Thanks! Any of these young men would look good in Orange and Black. I still think we will have a better shot at Nurse than Jones.
Nichushkin looks like a monster who can fly!

Last edited by Hockeypete49: 04-02-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old
04-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
What poor deals besides Eminger? None of his first round pick trades were for players on expiring contracts. Versteeg had another year and was an RFA at the conclusion of that year IIRC. Versteeg, in hindsight was not a good move. Pronger suffered a freak career ending injury. But again, without hindsight, I think those trades most reasonable people would do over again.

I assume you will say the Versteeg trade was bad and you wouldn't do it again, so in advance of that, I would ask why. He was a young player, under contract, putting up good numbers. The team was in first place when the trade was made and coming off of a year where they went to the Cup Finals. Are you telling me you would not have attempted to improve your team, which was obviously a Cup contender, but rather would have held on to that first rounder and hoped that next year (or a couple years down the road) your team was in the same position?
I'm not trying to re-hash all this again. We both know how it goes, and I'm currently more concerned with doing my backlog of laundry, cleaning, and bass playing rather than going in our usual endless circle

At the end of the day, it's not impossible for him to trade it. I personally think he won't in this case, but it's not impossible.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

I really hope Homer doesn't trade our 1st round pick this year. I think at somepoint people will realize that we probably won't get a top 3 pick, (I hope I'm wrong) unless we somehow win the lottery.

Top 5 is definately possible, but I see the Panthers, Avalanche, and Flames definately worse than us. Throw in a potential Sabres, Coyotes, Stars, or Lightning being worse too, we could be 4-7 maybe even a little higher.

Still gives us a chance to draft Nurse, which I'd be completely for.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:56 AM
Chiquito

Not a chance Philadelphia trades their first pick.

Chiquito is offline   Reply With Quote