HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part X)

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2013, 10:48 AM
battlingBard56

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gionta182 View Post
USA Hockey Magazine's facebook page is running a "fan favorite" contest, and the "final" is Parise vs. Greene. It'd be kind of funny to see Parise lose. I think voting ends at 5 p.m.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Voted

Old
04-01-2013, 11:24 AM
GameSeven
ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/20...or_Devils.html

TG's Record article on the Loktionov trade. Interesting comments for the "sign him or else he'll bolt" crowd. Love the kid and look forward to seeing him grow as a Devil. His vision and playmaking appear to be very high, while some of his deficiencies seem to have been overstated, at least in a modest sample. Slightly concerned about his durability and will need to see how he settles as a point producer as that SH% (Hello 28%!) regresses, but easy to like the kid and what he's brought to the team for minimal investment.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:26 AM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Loktionov said the idea of playing in Russia next season never entered his mind.

"You never know, I guess, but I wasn't thinking about going to Russia," he said. "Maybe [Lombardi] was thinking that, but not me."
He never wanted to go to Russia. He only wanted to play in the KHL during the lockout.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:28 AM
MadDog172430
Sal Apologist

I really hope Lokti continues to develop the way he has. I'm very impressed by his hockey sense each passing game.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:34 AM
SteveCangialosi123

Lokti definitely looks more like an assist guy than a scorer even though the stats tell a different story. His vision is only matched by Kovy and Elias on this team which is very impressive for a player of his age. His shot also looks pretty solid and his backchecking and forechecking are both competent. I don't see how he will regress bc he has the mental game and physical skills. His scoring is obviously gonna decrease but he'll get more assists most likely and the point production will remain the same. He could easily be a 50-60 point player with a solid winger and kovy on his line.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:39 AM
I Hate Tie DOMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Board play , PK time, very responsible defensively, leader on and off the ice. Dont need him to be scoring goals.

Well someone has to. We all know Clarkson isn't scoring and he has dragged Elias down into his abyss, maybe Zubrus on that line wakes them up.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:51 AM
njdevil26

Quote:
He never wanted to go to Russia. He only wanted to play in the KHL during the lockout.
I don't think he threatened anything. I think the Kings knew they would lose him to Russia if they didn't let him play and they didn't have the space for him so they wanted something back to let him go. Very smart of Lou to give up a 5th which is what the Kings paid for him.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:30 PM
The Green Unit

The thing that I like the most with Loki is that he's a playmaker that is not afraid to shot the puck. Someone who doesnt force passes and has a good shot, hello points production.

Kid has some very high offensive upside.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:51 PM
GameSeven
ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashintangibles View Post
The thing that I like the most with Loki is that he's a playmaker that is not afraid to shot the puck. Someone who doesnt force passes and has a good shot, hello points production.

Kid has some very high offensive upside.
No small feat when he's had Kovalchuk on his wing for a good portion of time, although he did suffer some of that force the puck mentality at the start. But you can see the kid's confidence grow and, as he becomes identified as a threat himself, it will open up those looks for linemates that he seems to be able to recognize with aplomb.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Bleedred
Waive Bone Dust

Loki is showing he belongs, and even through Kovy's injury that he's not just a product of Kovalchuk. Though it's only been 3 games and a few players have showed us not to judge them too early (Clarkson anyone?) His shooting percentage is abnormally high, but he knows how to pick his shots well. I do expect him to maybe become more of an assist guy than a goal scorer though. He's on a 3 game point streak without Kovy right now.

This is one trade I have to bow down to Lou for. I look forward to him being Kovy's center for hopefully years to come. Give the kid $2 million a year for 2-3 years and a one way contract. I already had Josefson getting $2 million a year after this before the season had started.

Old
04-01-2013, 05:23 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevilsFan44 View Post
Nor should DeBoer be airing his dirty laundry to the media and public, I don't need another coach like Torts, blowing up after every loss...

I like how DeBoer handles himself with the media. Sure, we are having a not-so-great season, but then again who expected it to be great in the first place? If you ask me, we are right on par with what I thought we would be doing this season.
Agreed. DeBoer's Zen-like calm is something the team needs. The locker room leaders fall in line with this too. Marty and Patty's personalities are very calm.

Quote:
The Kings still thought they would lose him in RFA, perhaps. Was he arbitration eligible? I don't know if anybody would have offer sheeted him, but you never know.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Devils Dominion
Shero is my Hero

Hope Kostopolous is ok.

He showed big stones and heart dropping the gloves with a real heavyweight tonight.

He's a good team guy.

I wish him well, he deserves praise from our fanbase.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Bleedred
Waive Bone Dust

I have no problems with him. He's one of the only ones who showed a bit of emotion in the 1st period.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:33 PM
KohoDonuts88
THANK YOU LOU

Don't know if this has been mentioned (hopefully has) but...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SCOTTY!!!

Old
04-01-2013, 09:50 PM
Fayne Staley
Dr. Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I have no problems with him. He's one of the only ones who showed a bit of emotion in the 1st period.
he also seems to know how to read goalies on breakaways.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Was brought up in the other thread, but I do have to wonder if Scotty isn't quite ready for the position he currently has. Think it has to be asked since this is the same D unit from last year. Obviously filling in for Big Bird is a tall TALL order, and maybe it is more Larry was able to get this group to overachieve then Stevens not being able to get them to perform, but I think it is worth discussion at least.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
Was brought up in the other thread, but I do have to wonder if Scotty isn't quite ready for the position he currently has. Think it has to be asked since this is the same D unit from last year. Obviously filling in for Big Bird is a tall TALL order, and maybe it is more Larry was able to get this group to overachieve then Stevens not being able to get them to perform, but I think it is worth discussion at least.
I don't know if I'm ready to start questioning Stevens on it yet. The problem doesn't really seem to come down to positioning or something like that. It seems to be that the players just can't seem to execute. How often are we turning it over in our own zone/can't clear the zone and letting that be the break down for a scoring play or a long possession in our end if nothing else. Flubbed passes and an inability to clear seem to be the biggest issue as of late. Maybe this means Stevens isn't able to get the most out of them, but it seems to be more mental and/or execution errors. Given the amount of veterans on our blue line, the large majority of those shouldn't be happening. Or at least, not at this frequency.

Old
04-02-2013, 02:04 AM
Marshal Rochambeau
N.J. Hockey Club

Swith Zajac over to wing? He looks overloaded playing center, like he cant accomplish anything. Switch him with Elias so he can unleash that wrister from the left side.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:12 AM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
I don't know if I'm ready to start questioning Stevens on it yet. The problem doesn't really seem to come down to positioning or something like that. It seems to be that the players just can't seem to execute. How often are we turning it over in our own zone/can't clear the zone and letting that be the break down for a scoring play or a long possession in our end if nothing else. Flubbed passes and an inability to clear seem to be the biggest issue as of late. Maybe this means Stevens isn't able to get the most out of them, but it seems to be more mental and/or execution errors. Given the amount of veterans on our blue line, the large majority of those shouldn't be happening. Or at least, not at this frequency.
Good point, and it is even more annoying because certain D-men are guilty of this constantly (VOLCH!!!!). Most of the forwards seem to still think pass instead of shoot, and by then reenforcments have arrivied forcing the puck back to the point at best which is always a low percantage shot (more so because most of our D can't shoot straight). We flub way to many odd man rushes with over passing. The only one not passing to much is clarkson, but his shot selection lately has been piss poor and maybe he should be thinking pass more. Even tonight's only goal, while it worked and was a amazing pass, while it happened I was still pissed that Patty passed it at all. It was pretty, but 9 times out of 10 those pretty passes don't work. We need to stop trying to be pretty.

Besides clearing the zone we need to stop screening Marty, seems that happens to often. Either block the shot or get out of Marty's way.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:06 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSeven View Post
http://www.northjersey.com/sports/20...or_Devils.html

TG's Record article on the Loktionov trade. Interesting comments for the "sign him or else he'll bolt" crowd. Love the kid and look forward to seeing him grow as a Devil. His vision and playmaking appear to be very high, while some of his deficiencies seem to have been overstated, at least in a modest sample. Slightly concerned about his durability and will need to see how he settles as a point producer as that SH% (Hello 28%!) regresses, but easy to like the kid and what he's brought to the team for minimal investment.
I feel confident in saying that Loktionov should have a higher than average shooting percentage. I can see him settling as a 14-15% guy. His patience and hockey sense will improve the quality of his shots.

But yes, 28% won't last.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:07 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova III View Post
Swith Zajac over to wing? He looks overloaded playing center, like he cant accomplish anything. Switch him with Elias so he can unleash that wrister from the left side.
No way. Zajac is great in the defensive zone and our only good faceoff centerman.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:29 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova III View Post
hell no. hes the only guy that wins draws.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:04 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

nono you guys. he meant zajac should play as a center, but then "drift" to the left side. pretty common stuff

Old
04-02-2013, 11:13 AM
Hollywood163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
I'm glad somebody is saying this. Our D has played considerably worse this year with the exact same personnel. Scotty is a god to all of us but maybe he's not that good of a coach.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:36 AM
downtown56

@TGfireandice: DeBoer said Kovalchuk has begun rehabbing his shoulder and he will be back this season but "not in the near future."

Closed Thread