HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Do You Think Of GMGM Now?

Old
04-02-2013, 08:19 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

vCash: 500
You have to look at last year for the answer. Now knowing how the season and the playoffs went down under Dale Hunter, were you happy that GMGM kept Wideman and Semin and then basically let them both go at season's end for nothing (Wideman for a 5th round pick). Yes we upset the defending SC champs in the first round and just missed getting out of the second round, but in hindsight if we had traded Wideman and Semin we may have received picks or useful pieces that would be beneficial to this team at this moment. I don't envision this team this season having a similar playoff experience as last season. You could see Hunter's team gelling a bit towards the season's end and that just carried on into the playoffs. This current team is too eratic, one game up then the next a let down.

Whatever GMGM decides to do, just don't trade any picks or promising prospects, i.e. Forsberg, Wilson, Kuznetsov.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:24 AM
g00n
abides

This isn't a video game. You can't just look at what you could've had vs what you got and determine things based solely on numbers. Sometimes you have to take calculated risks that carry potential for great reward but also some potential for loss.

Keeping players you may not re-sign in order to push for a Cup is such a risk. The CUP is the final goal, not the act of making that balance sheet look pretty when it comes to "value" for trades. So there will be times when a player walks or is moved for less return than you might've gotten earlier, but again this isn't merely a financial transaction.

If you want that, play the stock market.

(note, I'm not defending GMGM blindly here, just saying this mentality that everything has to be zero-sum in terms of "value" is counter to the mentality of going after a Cup if it means ditching players that COULD help you win it that year)

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:36 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Ironically perhaps, had we moved Wideman, a strong sell tank move, maybe we had a better chance at winning the cup. While we had other issues, that Wideman Sarge pairing must have set some sort of futility record for incompetence on a very very defensive team.

I wish Dale would have said "-20 -I can't take it anymore" and sub out Wides and Sarge for Orlov and Erskine in that Rags series

Last edited by RandyHolt: 04-02-2013 at 08:45 AM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:40 AM
fsnoles98

The difference is wanting to make the playoffs or trying to the win the Cup.
GMGM is just trying to make the playoffs at this point.
This team has NO shot at winning the cup this year. We have been weak on defense for a number of years and this offense is learning a new system.

So do you keep players that may help you make the playoffs, but will do nothing more or plan for the future?

fsnoles98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:43 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
The difference is wanting to make the playoffs or trying to the win the Cup.
GMGM is just trying to make the playoffs at this point.
This team has NO shot at winning the cup this year. We have been weak on defense for a number of years and this offense is learning a new system.

So do you keep players that may help you make the playoffs, but will do nothing more or plan for the future?
Thats silly. I've seen worse teams in the 30 years I've been watching make a run to the cup. Once you get there its anyones game and the key ingredient is usually a hot goalie.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:56 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
This isn't a video game. You can't just look at what you could've had vs what you got and determine things based solely on numbers. Sometimes you have to take calculated risks that carry potential for great reward but also some potential for loss.

Keeping players you may not re-sign in order to push for a Cup is such a risk. The CUP is the final goal, not the act of making that balance sheet look pretty when it comes to "value" for trades. So there will be times when a player walks or is moved for less return than you might've gotten earlier, but again this isn't merely a financial transaction.

If you want that, play the stock market.

(note, I'm not defending GMGM blindly here, just saying this mentality that everything has to be zero-sum in terms of "value" is counter to the mentality of going after a Cup if it means ditching players that COULD help you win it that year)
I'm sure Ted Leonsis would like to see the Capitals win the Stanley Cup. However, I'm also sure that Ted is happy when there are hockey games being played in the building he owns. SC playoffs means more games being played at the VC and more revenue for Ted. I'm also sure that Ted's outlook on this is not lost on GMGM.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:59 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
I'm sure Ted Leonsis would like to see the Capitals win the Stanley Cup. However, I'm also sure that Ted is happy when there are hockey games being played in the building he owns. SC playoffs means more games being played at the VC and more revenue for Ted. I'm also sure that Ted's outlook on this is not lost on GMGM.
Ted is not alone in his thinking if so. This applies to pretty much every single NHL owner.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:01 AM
fsnoles98

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Thats silly. I've seen worse teams in the 30 years I've been watching make a run to the cup. Once you get there its anyones game and the key ingredient is usually a hot goalie.
Apparently you haven't been watching the teams in the west or Pittsburgh. Overall team hustle, physical play, good offense and defense.

Washington, inconsistent.

fsnoles98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:16 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Ted is not alone in his thinking if so. This applies to pretty much every single NHL owner.
Yeah but that's the rub, Bob. Many teams expect sell outs, and are wary that if the team doesn't perform...then...they might lose fans. Ted is just "happy to have a sell out", because he's scared crapless of the alternative, and it hamstrings him.

That said,

Fire George

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:18 AM
msrulo

RMNB column on GMGM pretty much sums him up

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:21 AM
g00n
abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrulo View Post
RMNB column on GMGM pretty much sums him up
http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...gs/#more-46501

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:36 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
Apparently you haven't been watching the teams in the west or Pittsburgh. Overall team hustle, physical play, good offense and defense.

Washington, inconsistent.
Lets look at our history and our BEST teams IMO:

85-86 - Dominant regular season lost in huge upset to Rags in 2nd round.
91-92 - Bowman even said we were the best team in the league. Lost in 1st round.
09-10 - Lost to the 8 seed.

Lets look at our best playoff runs now:

89-90 - Finished under .500 in the regular season and were WILDLY inconsistent. Made it to ECF despite a ton of injuries to key players.
97-98 - Mediocre team or above average at best that made it to the SCF.

The Kings were an 8 seed last year and caught lightning in a bottle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
Yeah but that's the rub, Bob. Many teams expect sell outs, and are wary that if the team doesn't perform...then...they might lose fans. Ted is just "happy to have a sell out", because he's scared crapless of the alternative, and it hamstrings him.

That said,

Fire George
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. Ted wants to win. Winning equates to profit.

Yeah he should have fired GMGM a while back but its not like the team is a disaster with a bleak future.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:39 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Expose that donkey for what he is....a BS'er to the press and the fans.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:42 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Expose that donkey for what he is....a BS'er to the press and the fans.
GMGM has always been this way. Sure he's delusional about alot of things. He is also a crafty poker player too. I don't believe anything he says to the press really.

In his 15 years or so this is the tightest I've ever seen the vice grip him in terms of negative media. Perhaps 07-08 prior to the TDL.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Atlas

Quote:

You will be saying this until they are dressing you up and putting you in your casket.

Let's not rely on the "lightning in a bottle" philosophy. Let's build a good team.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:52 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

I watch the McLaughlin Group. I didn't know that qualifies me as a cynic.

BTW, I think Eleanor Clift is Rachel Madcow's grandmother.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:53 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
You will be saying this until they are dressing you up and putting you in your casket.

Let's not rely on the "lightning in a bottle" philosophy. Let's build a good team.
That "philosophy" IS the team strategy. Just get into the playoffs and hope to get hot.

Puncher's chance....

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:01 AM
BobRouse

Quote:

Do you believe they are not trying? Ofcourse not. You just don't like the results and neither do I.

However I think the general philosophy of building through the draft is the way to go and thats what made us good back a few years ago.

The future isn't bleak by any stretch as we have some top end impressive prospects waiting in the wings and lots of good young players still learning.

We are not in salary cap hell or anything either and have very few bad contracts.

But even with that they definitely have a shot this year.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:12 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Another solid playoff showing from the Caps could help to acquire free agents also.

Get to 2nd or 3rd round - and you can say that we are winning playoff series every year (almost). Winning culture, haha. Not like the Edmonton, I mean.

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:14 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
Another solid playoff showing from the Caps could help to acquire free agents also.

Get to 2nd or 3rd round - and you can say that we are winning playoff series every year (almost). Winning culture, haha. Not like the Edmonton, I mean.
It will also bolster teamwide confidence as well as provide much needed seasoning for our young players.

It is important to make the playoffs if we are in striking distance.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:17 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

We can try to compare our roster with Boston.

I think we will see that this years Caps on the paper aren't worse than last years.

Why would we pretend we have no chance? Because of being afraid of Carey Price or Tuukka Rask? Or Thomas Vokoun?

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:30 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Lets look at our history and our BEST teams IMO:

85-86 - Dominant regular season lost in huge upset to Rags in 2nd round.
91-92 - Bowman even said we were the best team in the league. Lost in 1st round.
09-10 - Lost to the 8 seed.

Lets look at our best playoff runs now:

89-90 - Finished under .500 in the regular season and were WILDLY inconsistent. Made it to ECF despite a ton of injuries to key players.
97-98 - Mediocre team or above average at best that made it to the SCF.

The Kings were an 8 seed last year and caught lightning in a bottle.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. Ted wants to win. Winning equates to profit.

Yeah he should have fired GMGM a while back but its not like the team is a disaster with a bleak future.
No, Ted does not want to win. Ted does not want to lose money. It's not the same. If Ted wasn't afraid of losing = losing money, then they would take more risks. Risks = Cups.

Follow me?

That said,

Fire George

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:36 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
No, Ted does not want to win. Ted does not want to lose money. It's not the same. If Ted wasn't afraid of losing = losing money, then they would take more risks. Risks = Cups.

Follow me?

That said,

Fire George
I disagree. He wants to win. Every owner is competitive and wants to win.

You are wrong there. That being said just because he WANTS to win doesn't mean he knows HOW best to do it.

McPhee is not getting fired. You and I both know that.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Atlas

There are still Capitals Apologists here. Amazing. All the evidence points to Ovie playing his entire career without winning a Cup. Raise your hand if you can keep quiet and live in that world? Bob Rouse?

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:46 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
There are still Capitals Apologists here. Amazing. All the evidence points to Ovie playing his entire career without winning a Cup. Raise your hand if you can keep quiet and live in that world? Bob Rouse?
I don't believe the future is as bleak as most make it out to be. I believe there is a great deal of frustration with the way things are currently going and it has caused people to justifiably turn sour.

When things turn sour people start seeing the glass as half empty and thats just human nature.

Its not as bad as it seems right now. One playoff run can change alot of opinions.