HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Visnovsky Signs 2-year Extension ($4.75M/year + NMC)

Old
03-30-2013, 02:10 PM
SpeedDemon

vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
There is so much wrong with your post I don't know where to start.

Go to Google and look up hockey right shooting lefty. Just do it, and then come back here and have a good laugh with all of us.
somthing wrong with my post ?

I'd say there's something wrong with your reasoning.

If both D-men play with their sticks toward the center of the ice I'd say I'm quite right. I use that same set up in video games and guess what- IT WORKS 80% of the time

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 02:47 PM
OlTimeHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post

If both D-men play with their sticks toward the center of the ice I'd say I'm quite right. I use that same set up in video games and guess what- IT WORKS 80% of the time
Oh.....my......lord......

So how does stopping the puck on the boards on a clear work with Nintendo's backhands? A rush in with momentum on the blade when sweeping in from the point to the dots?

I know...I know....this isn't real video gamish. I only played thirty years on ice without controllers, but I am trying to learn the game.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 02:50 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post

So how does stopping the puck on the boards on a clear work with Nintendo's backhands? A rush in with momentum on the blade when sweeping in from the point to the dots?

I know...I know....this isn't real video gamish. I only played thirty years on ice without controllers, but I am trying to learn the game.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 02:50 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
4 WORDS. COMPLETE WASTE OF MONEY. Viz is pushing 37. He's well past his prime and the peak of his career is long gone. Yeah he was great as member of the Kings but that's all in the past now.

by the way, I still don't get the deal of playing him and Streit on the same powerplay. they;re both lefty shooters (I have no idea how someone can write left handed let alone shoot).

on the powerplay the D situation should be as follows
- Lefty shooter playing the right point.
- Righty shooter playing the left point

the reason???- one timer in either direction.
Are you negative about everything? Jeez!

03-30-2013, 02:56 PM
SpeedDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
Are you negative about everything? Jeez!
Yes, for two reasons

One- In my line of work it's always perfection or near-perfection. If not I get canned.
Two- Life is about pain, misery and suffering

Old
03-30-2013, 02:57 PM
Hipietro

Quote:

Post of the year

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 02:59 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Yes, for two reasons

One- In my line of work it's always perfection or near-perfection. If not I get canned.
Two- Life is about pain, misery and suffering
So the newspaper has to hit the porch or come close to it?

{sorry, had to}

Old
03-30-2013, 04:06 PM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

Quote:

LoL, but i don't disagree with you. This team is in desperate need of a right handed shot on the point on the PP. Hopefully Strome can play the point next year.

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 04:34 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI View Post
If the Isles do re up Streit (according to Staples it looks very much so), then Isles will have committed almost 17m in 9 D men next season that is of course if they: re-up Hamonic (my guess 5/15-20), give qualifying offers to Hickey, and Donovan makes the team.

Lubo
Streit
Hamonic
Macdonald
Strait
Hickey
Donovan
Carkner
Finley

At the AHL: if Mayfield leaves school early, Kichton re enters the draft, Pedan signs an ELC, Landry resigns, and Pokka comes over from Europe

De Haan
Ness
Pokka
Mayfield
Pedan
Landry
Cantin

Not to mention Russo at UND, Reinhart and Pelech back in the jrs. for one more season.
Hickey will be a UFA after this season because he will not have played 80 NHL games just as Strait would have been if they didn't resign him..

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 05:11 PM
Pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Hickey will be a UFA after this season because he will not have played 80 NHL games just as Strait would have been if they didn't resign him..
According to capgeek he is an RFA....maybe they are wrong
http://capgeek.com/islanders/

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 06:19 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:

It is pretty obvious you are here to troll. Why a Preds fan would come here to troll is beyond me since we are both fans of small market clubs and get pretty much screwed by that fact on a regular basis, but whatever. This is my last acknowledgement of your existence.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 06:21 PM
SpeedDemon

Quote:

the video game thing was mostly a snide comment.

If you want real life comparison I can do that too.

same maneuver used by my pewee league coach
-Firstly D-men play with their sticks toward the center (i.e. away from the boards)
It's similar move to playing the off wing which is what I did (I played left wing while shooting right handed.)
- secondly the D-men do not face the net each other

this way you don't have the D-men blocking the center of the net but rather positioning in line with the posts. Better shooting angle.

Not convinced with this. You can always try the umbrella option with a single point man in the middle of the blue line. only problem with that you need to cycle the puck with the other four players to take the eye of the fifth.

Old
03-30-2013, 07:31 PM
LotteryForLife*

I'm sure this has been said before but this is a great sign that this organization is headed in the right direction. A player that really didn't want to come here that now loves it and wants to stay. Similar to the Nabby situation. Whether it's that they love life on LI or just simply the way they are treated by the organization, these have to be viewed as encouraging signs

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 07:59 PM
MatthewBarnabysTears

vCash: 50
Perhaps some fans think it's an overpayment because it's been so long since we last signed a sought after free agent — their perceptions haven't caught up with inflation.

(Comment is mostly tongue in cheek; anyone with a problem with this should not that it's less money than we gave a less-established Mark Streit 5 years ago.)

MatthewBarnabysTears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 09:21 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
According to capgeek he is an RFA....maybe they are wrong
http://capgeek.com/islanders/
They had Strait listed as a RFA also but he would not have been because of the shortened season and not being able to reach 80 NHL games played.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 10:07 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:

{sorry, had to}

MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:16 PM
ichabod13

Quote:
I use that same set up in video games and guess what- IT WORKS 80% of the time
your video game stratagy works great....while playing a "video game"
but the adults are talking about the NHL the real NHL....not some ******** video game.

i blew up an astroid once on a video game......i guess that qualifies me to go fly a space ship and save the earth from astroids eh?

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:21 PM
ichabod13

Quote:
Better shooting angle.
why would you want your team to give up better shooting angles?
thats a recipe for losing man......

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 07:52 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
Look Nabby didn't want to come and he stayed and so did tube of Lube, that is the best way to sell this team to FA's.
It tells them that Slavic Europeans like Long Island.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:27 AM
SpeedDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
why would you want your team to give up better shooting angles?
thats a recipe for losing man......
I didn't say to give up better shooting angles. I was talking about getting better shooting angles. What's better shooting from the corners or the inside- I only played till in leagues till I was preteen but I'd say the inside

Old
03-31-2013, 02:57 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
I didn't say to give up better shooting angles. I was talking about getting better shooting angles. What's better shooting from the corners or the inside- I only played till in leagues till I was preteen but I'd say the inside
A player has to shoot inside, or come in and shoot. A player has command of saving the puck when a clear is made or has to go backhand to stop it on the boards. A player is on the L or the R. A player goes in, moves to center of the blueline or swaps with a forward. Or they swap sides L and R. The game is FLUID.

But the two most important things a D-man does are not shooting comfy. Hell, some guys do better shooting from the boards than from the position you state. I DO. I'm a RH RW. I like the freedom to go into corners to dish into the slot with that side. When I play LW, I'm not as comfy but do great from the slot for the pass. ON D, I like stopping clears as it helps the offense more to stay in the zone. On checks, I can hold onto the puck better with boards on stickside as I can control the play with help from the boards.

But in terms of pure sniping, It doesn't matter. If I'm coming in, The better angles are the same, so L or R, I'm going to the same spot and my position is either two feet one way or two feet the other, correct?

Maybe the back being to the checker on my left is an issue. But so is the checker being to my R or ahead of me, where R side R is an advantage.

There are so many variables including player preference. There is no best or worst unless you cite specific player. A lumbering defenseman guarding the boards is best served stick on boards to stop a clear to prevent having to run back, is he not?

A sniper on the point would like the inside shot. Probably.

So there's your answer....the caim is bogus without context. But to say there is no advantage to an outside stick on the point is ludicrous.

I do know throwing a newspaper from the inside arm is better.

Old
03-31-2013, 06:32 PM
leaponover

Hopefully after Nabakov and Visnovsky fans will stop FREAKING THE ****** out every time this happens. There is so much behind the scenes and the rampant speculation and finger point on these threads, and in the press makes my stomach turn. I think some of the press needs to apologize for their BS when it comes to the Isles.

I think this is a good extension. It's a decent contract and at a good price. I wonder if this will motivate Streit to stay on.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 06:45 PM
JetsMetsIsles

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Hopefully after Nabakov and Visnovsky fans will stop FREAKING THE ****** out every time this happens. There is so much behind the scenes and the rampant speculation and finger point on these threads, and in the press makes my stomach turn. I think some of the press needs to apologize for their BS when it comes to the Isles.

I think this is a good extension. It's a decent contract and at a good price. I wonder if this will motivate Streit to stay on.
From what I understand we are in talks with Streit on extending his contract now. As far as money goes I couldn't really care less what we pay anyone. We have so much cap room that its a complete non issue.
Im hoping now that we have a home in BK that Wang will overpay a star forward to come here like we were hoping he would with Kovalchuk a couple years ago.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 12:42 AM
Scott Scissons
No.1 Bust

Quote:

Why is it always a fellow Islander fan....

Scott Scissons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:26 AM
Islanders1932

Quote:

{sorry, had to}
HAhahahhaa hilarious

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote