HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Callahan Eyes Next Step After Dominating OHL

Old
08-16-2006, 05:38 PM
FLYLine24*

vCash: 500
Callahan Eyes Next Step After Dominating OHL

http://www.newyorkrangers.com/team/ProspectRecap/

Quote:
"What we really like about Ryan is his vision and ability to read the ice," said Rangers head coach Tom Renney. "He can read the play and see what's required both offensively and defensively. He understands the game both ways, can muster offense, is a good playmaker, and can shoot the puck hard."
Quote:
He possesses quick hands and a lively stick, and is elusive, creative and patient with the puck no matter the situation. "Cally" also works hard in his own end, where he is well positioned to make the quick transition from defense to offense. In addition to his on-ice smarts and scoring prowess, Callahan is a "fire and brimstone" player who plays each game with a mean streak.
Quote:
"Ryan's a terrific competitor, and he plays bigger than his stature," said Renney. "He's a very fiery competitor. He's got a long road ahead but is certainly a guy who I would not be surprised to make it one day."

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 05:48 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

wouldn't be surprised?

in other words, he's not expected to make it

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 05:54 PM
Block More Shots

Can't wait to see what type of player he'll develop into...pretty excited about his future with the Rangers.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 05:55 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
wouldn't be surprised?

in other words, he's not expected to make it
Talk about reading to deep into something....

Old
08-16-2006, 06:38 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Talk about reading to deep into something....
reading too deep...

so in other words, he's not reading?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 07:09 PM
Fletch

If you read it deep enough...

and this is going real deep - when you say I wouldn't be surprised, I think you more or less expect it (like saying 'I wouldn't be surprised if a Ranger fan jumps down my throat for this comment' - you'd be surprised if one didn't). The second part 'make it one day' means that he's not expected to make it out of camp, and heck, he may not even be a Ranger when he makes it. That's the part you should've picked at.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 07:40 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

He's an Islander fan attempting to compensate for his lack of hockey knowledge by bashing another team's prospect which he knows not a single thing about.

Don't bother with him, not worth it.

PS: Stop giving your fellow Islander fans a bad name.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 11:07 PM
broadwayblue

well anyone who has "a long road ahead" is by no means a lock to make it now or in the future.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 11:48 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
well anyone who has "a long road ahead" is by no means a lock to make it now or in the future.
No player in our organization is a real lock and 90% have a long road ahead. Well see how he does in the AHL.

Old
08-16-2006, 11:58 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
No player in our organization is a real lock and 90% have a long road ahead. Well see how he does in the AHL.
Interesting. I think you (and I do realize whom I'm talking to - many thanks for all of your help when it comes to our prospects) are underselling our top tier prospects. There aren't many "sure locks," period. Seriously, are there that many more sure than Staal or Montoya? I'm not stating definitively that either will be a star, but how many are much more certain to become at least regular players (barring injury) in the NHL? Maybe a dozen?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 12:02 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Interesting. I think you (and I do realize whom I'm talking to - many thanks for all of your help when it comes to our prospects) are underselling our top tier prospects. There aren't many "sure locks," period. Seriously, are there that many more sure than Staal or Montoya? I'm not stating definitively that either will be a star, but how many are much more certain to become at least regular players (barring injury) in the NHL? Maybe a dozen?
Oh I think more the 10% have a legit shot of making the NHL, im just saying I think 90% still have a lot to prove before they can really be considered a sure lock for the NHL. Cally has all the skill and heart to make the NHL but he still has to prove himself in the pros.

Old
08-17-2006, 12:08 AM
Pizza

I'd love to see how a line of Dawes Dubi and Cally would do in Hartford. Barring injury, I predict Cally will have a great rookie year in the AHL.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 12:38 AM
frontsfan2005

I've gone to my share of Guelph Storm games, and while there were times Cally would be a puckhog, he always gave his 110% and has the attitude and skills to become a solid NHLer. Hes really good on the PK, we'll see how the Rangers/Wolf Pack use him next year.

frontsfan2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 10:13 AM
cmdevisser

Send a message via AIM to cmdevisser
I like that there isnt a hole in his game anywhere. I think he projects to be a very solid second line player at best, or a very useful third liner at worst.

I honestly would be very suprised if Callahan doesn't make the NHL at least as a defensive forward/energy guy.

But the fact is he can score and pass too....so yes I am very excited about him.

cmdevisser is offline   Reply With Quote