HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2013 QMJHL draft as of Feb 2013

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2013, 12:09 PM
hockeyman99

vCash: 500
The Roster For team NS u16 has been put out on the HNS website... What do you think?

"Backstopping Team Nova Scotia in goal are Blade Mann-Dixon (Cape Breton West Major Midget/Antigonish) and Rowan O’Brien (Cole Harbour Major Midget/Halifax).

Team Nova Scotia’s blueline will be made up of defencemen Jake Brien (Ridley College/Sydney), Cameron Lee (Northwood Prep/Herring Cove), Daniel Little (Halifax Major Midget/Sackville), Duncan MacKie (Valley Major Midget/Kentville), Nick Welsh (Halifax Major Midget/Halifax), and Brandon Worthen (Dartmouth Major Midget/Dartmouth).

Playing up front for Team Nova Scotia are forwards Noah Bauld (Northwood Prep/Halifax), Dillon Boucher (Halifax Major Midget/Head Chezzetcook), Jordan Boyd (Rothesay Prep/Bedford), Lane Cormier (Pictou Major Midget/Stellarton), Jesse Hamer (Dartmouth Major Midget/Spryfield), Alex MacDonald (Dartmouth Major Midget/Sackville), Makail Parker (Valley Major Midget/Newport), Layton Parsons (Halifax Major Midget/Dartmouth), Campbell Pickard (Halifax Major Midget/Halifax), Luc Poirier (Halifax Major Midget/Bedford), Brett Tidman (Valley Major Midget/Kingston), and Colby Tower (Cape Breton West Major Midget/Inverness)."

http://www.hockeynovascotia.ca/hns_12370_47515.html

Old
03-29-2013, 01:09 PM
bigdirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman99 View Post
The Roster For team NS u16 has been put out on the HNS website... What do you think?

"Backstopping Team Nova Scotia in goal are Blade Mann-Dixon (Cape Breton West Major Midget/Antigonish) and Rowan O’Brien (Cole Harbour Major Midget/Halifax).

Team Nova Scotia’s blueline will be made up of defencemen Jake Brien (Ridley College/Sydney), Cameron Lee (Northwood Prep/Herring Cove), Daniel Little (Halifax Major Midget/Sackville), Duncan MacKie (Valley Major Midget/Kentville), Nick Welsh (Halifax Major Midget/Halifax), and Brandon Worthen (Dartmouth Major Midget/Dartmouth).

Playing up front for Team Nova Scotia are forwards Noah Bauld (Northwood Prep/Halifax), Dillon Boucher (Halifax Major Midget/Head Chezzetcook), Jordan Boyd (Rothesay Prep/Bedford), Lane Cormier (Pictou Major Midget/Stellarton), Jesse Hamer (Dartmouth Major Midget/Spryfield), Alex MacDonald (Dartmouth Major Midget/Sackville), Makail Parker (Valley Major Midget/Newport), Layton Parsons (Halifax Major Midget/Dartmouth), Campbell Pickard (Halifax Major Midget/Halifax), Luc Poirier (Halifax Major Midget/Bedford), Brett Tidman (Valley Major Midget/Kingston), and Colby Tower (Cape Breton West Major Midget/Inverness)."

http://www.hockeynovascotia.ca/hns_12370_47515.html
If he drops Dixon from his name, that could very well be the best name in hockey. Right up their with Storm Phaneuf.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:22 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by all good View Post
Every Q team has needs and roles to fill. What most people do not understand is that it is not all about stats at this level of drafting. A small player with tons of points will not necessarily be good junior players. An all around game with size and speed is really desired by the smart teams
your right stats are not what we look at when scouting and size and speed is looked for in all teams....what we look for most is:

1. Skating
2. IQ
3. Intensity
4. Heart

those 4 are most improtant to my team and what we look at when drafting....

Old
04-01-2013, 08:16 AM
Hockeyfansince1988
Rookie User

Who are some 1996 born Defensemen from the Maritimes that will have a chance in this upcoming draft?

Old
04-01-2013, 08:45 AM
IslandScouter

Cornwall Thunder has a young team full of 97's and pulled out a very entertaining upset over a Charlottetown Islanders team with some high end Q drafted talent. Who do you see getting drafted from the thunder

Old
04-01-2013, 09:33 AM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
your right stats are not what we look at when scouting and size and speed is looked for in all teams....what we look for most is:

1. Skating
2. IQ
3. Intensity
4. Heart

those 4 are most improtant to my team and what we look at when drafting....
I agree with you, I would also add size to the list.

Old
04-01-2013, 08:41 PM
Hockeyfansince1988
Rookie User

Scoutman, where do these defenseman rank up in the draft, Jarret Crossman(Moncton), Matt Astle(Fredericton) and Nick Phillips(Saint John)

Old
04-01-2013, 10:35 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfansince1988 View Post
Scoutman, where do these defenseman rank up in the draft, Jarret Crossman(Moncton), Matt Astle(Fredericton) and Nick Phillips(Saint John)
none of those guys are on my list for potential draftees but some other team could have them on theirs, as for me to say round for them, from 6 on.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:21 AM
Hockeyfansince1988
Rookie User

Who is the better of those three players?

Old
04-02-2013, 08:55 AM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
none of those guys are on my list for potential draftees but some other team could have them on theirs, as for me to say round for them, from 6 on.
Scoutman1, I posted this in another forum but interested to hear your thoughts... who from the NB U16 Team do you see getting drafted in the Q this year? I left my own picks in also.

Derek Goguen - G - Middlesex School, US Prep
Tristan Meadows - G - Oromocto Blues, High School
Chris Becker - D - Ontario Hockey Academy, Minor Midget AAA
Luc Deschenes - D - Fredericton Canadiens, Major Midget - likely to be drafted
Cole Hachey - D - Fredericton Canadiens, Major Midget - likely to be drafted
Philippe Myers - D - Moncton Flyers, Major Midget - likely to be drafted
Matt Paul - D - Fredericton Canadiens, Major Midget - Possilble
Will Thompson - D - Rothesay Netherwood Riverhawks, Canada Prep - likely to be drafted
Kari Belec - F - Moncton Flyers, Major Midget
Will Bower - F - Saint John Vitos, Major Midget - likely to be drafted
Liam Conrad - F - Moncton Flyers, Major Midget
Patrick Daley - F - Fredericton Canadiens, Major Midget
Alexandre Jacob - F - Moncton Flyers, Major Midget - likely to be drafted
Jean-Michel LeBlanc - F - Saint John Vitos, Major Midget - definately will be drafted
Chris Sarault - F - Ontario Hockey Academy, Minor Midget AAA - Possible
Riley Scott - F - Miramichi Rivermen, Major Midget
Francis Theriault - F - Miramichi Rivermen, Major Midget
Ryan Tompkins - F - Fredericton Canadiens, Major Midget - likely to be drafted
Jacob Vance - F - Fredericton Canadiens, Major Midget - likely to be drafted
Kyle Ward - F - Moncton Flyers, Major Midget - likely to be drafted

Also, the NS U16 list is now out, perhaps you could add those as well?

Last edited by NBHockey: 04-02-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old
04-02-2013, 08:57 AM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Who is the better of those three players?
In my own mind... Astle, Crossman, Phillips.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Hockeyfansince1988
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBHockey View Post
In my own mind... Astle, Crossman, Phillips.
I personally think, Phillips, Astle, Crossman. How did you evaluate that Phillips was the worst?(just curious)

Old
04-02-2013, 09:22 AM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
I personally think, Phillips, Astle, Crossman. How did you evaluate that Phillips was the worst?(just curious)
Well I don't like to say the worst, I just see more upside in the other two and that relates mostly to the jam they bring to the ice. Most of the other things they bring are very similar, Phillips is a good solid DMan but I like how Astle and Crossman can really get the intensity level up. One knock on both is that they aren't as consistant as they should be as second year players in the league. Crossman especially and Astle goes over the line a bit too much in taking penalties that hurt the team.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:29 AM
Hockeyfansince1988
Rookie User

I see what you're saying, but what are Phillips's downfalls?

Old
04-02-2013, 09:44 AM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
I see what you're saying, but what are Phillips's downfalls?
Well I don't think I would say he has any obvious downfalls. All these kids are playing MAAA hockey which tells us they can all play. But anyone that makes my list of players has to play tough, if you don't want to hit or play a hard game and go to all area's of the ice, you aren't going to make my list.

Some people call that intensity, heart, whatever.. I usually call it grit. I am not saying that Phillips doesn't play with any heart or intensity, but the other two guys play with more. After that, I think they are all fairly equal, I would rank Astle slightly higher in the skating.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Hockeyfansince1988
Rookie User

Quote:
Well I don't think I would say he has any obvious downfalls. All these kids are playing MAAA hockey which tells us they can all play. But anyone that makes my list of players has to play tough, if you don't want to hit or play a hard game and go to all area's of the ice, you aren't going to make my list.

Some people call that intensity, heart, whatever.. I usually call it grit. I am not saying that Phillips doesn't play with any heart or intensity, but the other two guys play with more. After that, I think they are all fairly equal, I would rank Astle slightly higher in the skating.
Phillips isn't scared to take a hit or dish one out but I have noticed that Astle plays more physical, this weekend ill be watching the Atlantics so I will get to see both play

Old
04-02-2013, 02:32 PM
hab 4ever

Jason Bell has 12 points in 15 games for Laval-Montréal thus far. He has been their best D in the playoffs and they are ahead 2-0 in the finals. Does that bump him in your rankings and confirms he will be second defenceman taken behind Roy?

Last edited by hab 4ever: 04-02-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old
04-02-2013, 03:27 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Scoutman1, I posted this in another forum but interested to hear your thoughts... who from the NB U16 Team do you see getting drafted in the Q this year? I left my own picks in also.

Derek Goguen - G - Middlesex School, US Prep
Tristan Meadows - G - Oromocto Blues, High School
Chris Becker - D - Ontario Hockey Academy, Minor Midget AAA
Luc Deschenes - D - Fredericton Canadiens, Major Midget - likely to be drafted
Cole Hachey - D - Fredericton Canadiens, Major Midget - likely to be drafted
Philippe Myers - D - Moncton Flyers, Major Midget - likely to be drafted
Matt Paul - D - Fredericton Canadiens, Major Midget - Possilble
Will Thompson - D - Rothesay Netherwood Riverhawks, Canada Prep - likely to be drafted
Kari Belec - F - Moncton Flyers, Major Midget
Will Bower - F - Saint John Vitos, Major Midget - likely to be drafted
Liam Conrad - F - Moncton Flyers, Major Midget
Patrick Daley - F - Fredericton Canadiens, Major Midget
Alexandre Jacob - F - Moncton Flyers, Major Midget - likely to be drafted
Jean-Michel LeBlanc - F - Saint John Vitos, Major Midget - definately will be drafted
Chris Sarault - F - Ontario Hockey Academy, Minor Midget AAA - Possible
Riley Scott - F - Miramichi Rivermen, Major Midget
Francis Theriault - F - Miramichi Rivermen, Major Midget
Ryan Tompkins - F - Fredericton Canadiens, Major Midget - likely to be drafted
Jacob Vance - F - Fredericton Canadiens, Major Midget - likely to be drafted
Kyle Ward - F - Moncton Flyers, Major Midget - likely to be drafted

Also, the NS U16 list is now out, perhaps you could add those as well?
Interesting opinions , I agree with most of it, interested that you have Matt Paul as possible and Cole Hachey and Philip Myersas likely? not sure on Myers but Paul would definately be ahead of Hachey and only Leblanc from St John as a definite I am not sure he is the best forward in NB ,you dont think that Deschene is a definite for the draft?

jmo

Old
04-03-2013, 07:12 AM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey jockey View Post
Interesting opinions , I agree with most of it, interested that you have Matt Paul as possible and Cole Hachey and Philip Myersas likely? not sure on Myers but Paul would definately be ahead of Hachey and only Leblanc from St John as a definite I am not sure he is the best forward in NB ,you dont think that Deschene is a definite for the draft?

jmo
Well you are right about Deschense, he will definitely be drafted. The likely's are just that... likely. Gotta remember that only about 8 or 9 NB kids got drafted at all last year, my list has 12 that I think are in the running. I like Hachey, I didn't have him at the top level at the Monctonian but I thought he got better all year. Paul has some upside on the speed, but he gets rid of the puck and needs to be more physical. I've said lots about Myers already LOL!

Who would be on your list? And you don't think LeBlanc is the top forward in NB? Who is?

Old
04-03-2013, 08:24 AM
hockeyallthetime

Scoutman1 I was wondering if you could give me your thoughts on these players, Jordan Mesenger (1997 with South Shore Mustangs), Corey Peterson, (1996 with South Shore Mustangs) and Josh Shatford (1996 with Bridgewater Jr A). Just wondering if you see them having potential at the next level.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:51 AM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Well you are right about Deschense, he will definitely be drafted. The likely's are just that... likely. Gotta remember that only about 8 or 9 NB kids got drafted at all last year, my list has 12 that I think are in the running. I like Hachey, I didn't have him at the top level at the Monctonian but I thought he got better all year. Paul has some upside on the speed, but he gets rid of the puck and needs to be more physical. I've said lots about Myers already LOL!

Who would be on your list? And you don't think LeBlanc is the top forward in NB? Who is?
I think most of the players on the U-16 will have a chance some more than others.I like Leblanc ,sometimes I think Bower has passed him as an overall player he plays both ends of the ice better than Leblanc and has way more grit but there is no question Leblanc can put the puck in the net.As far as Hachey you are seeing something that I am missing besides his size he doesn't bring much else to the table he has to become a better skater and for a player his size he does not engage enough.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:19 AM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey jockey View Post
I think most of the players on the U-16 will have a chance some more than others.I like Leblanc ,sometimes I think Bower has passed him as an overall player he plays both ends of the ice better than Leblanc and has way more grit but there is no question Leblanc can put the puck in the net.As far as Hachey you are seeing something that I am missing besides his size he doesn't bring much else to the table he has to become a better skater and for a player his size he does not engage enough.
Ya Bower is pretty gritty and I have him in my top five NB forwards who would be... Bower, Leblanc (can't deny the scoring) and I think his physical play is improving, Tompkins (can't deny the two way player he is) and Ward (another good two way player). Vance isn't really a forward in my mind, I remember him at the ACC as a defense and thought he was one of the best there.

Paul seems to have deceptive speed, he really can motor when he takes the rush. I wish he would do it more, I think that plays better to his skill set. Hachey is big... and I think a decent skater, certainly better than some of the others, just not as fast as Paul. Hachey to me has more of a physical side to his game so far and I think he has a good shot.

Old
04-03-2013, 12:07 PM
hockey jockey

[QUOTE=NBHockey;63120545]Ya Bower is pretty gritty and I have him in my top five NB forwards who would be... Bower, Leblanc (can't deny the scoring) and I think his physical play is improving, Tompkins (can't deny the two way player he is) and Ward (another good two way player). Vance isn't really a forward in my mind, I remember him at the ACC as a defense and thought he was one of the best there.

Paul seems to have deceptive speed, he really can motor when he takes the rush. I wish he would do it more, I think that plays better to his skill set. Hachey is big... and I think a decent skater, certainly better than some of the others, just not as fast as Paul. Hachey to me has more of a physical side to his game so far and I think he has a good shot.[/QU

I don't want to pick a kid apart but I think Hachey has good size but doesn't think the game fast enough which is why he has so many turnovers and is out of posistion often, he is a strong north -south skater but his lateral ability is questionable IMO this is why he gets walked around so often if those things improve he could turn out to be an ok Dman.The only real physical D on the team is Deschene due to the fact that he is a 200 lbs at 15, Will Thompson can play the physical from time to time.It will be interesting to see how Becker looks after being at OHA again this year.

I agree with you about Vance being a better D than Forward not sure if it was his choice to move to forward or the coach on his midget team moved him there? and he can play physical!

Old
04-04-2013, 12:13 PM
UncMike

Cape Breton gets the #1 overall pick.....who will they choose and will he report/stay?

Old
04-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncMike View Post
Cape Breton gets the #1 overall pick.....who will they choose and will he report/stay?
I think they will choose Noel, and run with the NFLD core of Bishop and Noel.

Closed Thread