HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs on Tradecentre Part 5 (Who do you want at the deadline/in free agency?) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2013, 09:17 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
really?

They only touched 1 prospect (Morrow) that's it

Shero was bale to hang on to Pouliot, Harrington, Maatta, Dumoulin, Bennett, Despres. He gave up picks yes but you never know how they turn out and he was in a position to do so after having 2 1st last year with the Staal trade

I think he has done a hell of a job in Pittsburgh(Shero)
They also traded away their 1st and two 2nds(or 2nd and 3rd).

Shero overpaid for Murray and Morrow and got lucky taht Iginla didn't just go to Boston. Hvaing Sidney Crosby got him Iginla moreso than gis GM work...give him credit for drafting Crosby instead of Ryan or Pouliot.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:17 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
No David Jones please.. one of the worst contracts in the league
Agreed. No Jones please, we need either D or something better on O

Old
04-02-2013, 09:18 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfannick View Post
We can trade one if it a good deal but with the market like this it isn't gonna give you anything useful for the playoff run you're dieing to stock up for so it's better to keep it
So a guy like Regehr wouldn't have been useful here, considering we're playing 5 ds on the road?
A guy like Leopold wouldn't have been of any use neither?

Old
04-02-2013, 09:19 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
Nobody cared to explain me how trading a 2nd rounder as part of a package would cripple the future of our team/lessen our chances to be competitive in further years.

There's something called asset optimization, and I perfectly understand that. But most people here are obsessive. Especially for a pick who would likely be a Michael Bournival or a Louis Leblanc. And that's if we're lucky...
I don't think anyone is saying not to trade a 2nd. It's more along thelines of what are you getting for this 2nd? If you're giving it away for a depth rental than I along with most fans would say not to do that in a year with such a deep draft.

If you're giving up a 2nd and a young prospect for a quality player that will enter the line up and be a meaningful contributor now and in the future than I think you'd see a very different reaction.

It's all about what you're getting with your pick.

Keep in mind PK was a 2nd as well as a bunch of other top tier players in the league. Given our scouting and management, I don't think I've ever been so comfortable going into a draft as I am this year especially considering the depth of the draft as well as the number of picks we have in the top 70. Future is getting brighter and brighter!

Old
04-02-2013, 09:20 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

http://thehockeyguys.net/montreal-ca...dline-options/

Why would Rupp be available?

Old
04-02-2013, 09:20 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

Shero overpaid for Murray and Morrow and got lucky taht Iginla didn't just go to Boston. Hvaing Sidney Crosby got him Iginla moreso than gis GM work...give him credit for drafting Crosby instead of Ryan or Pouliot.
They trade a 1st and a couple of 2nds... So? I don't think Pittsburgh is going to be in any worst of a shape because of that in the future.

These are all trade I'm doing all days of the week if I'm Pittsburgh.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:21 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
The only scary thing is what he is asking for a contract extension. When a player asks for such a long term contract he might be hiding the fact he has nagging injuries that he himself feels will slow him down and he won't be worth the big contract he is signing. He is looking for that security if he falls off the wall, then the team will be stuck with a monstrous contract.
Which reminds me: Did you know Bobby Orr did not cash the Blackhawks paychecks? Imagine that.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:22 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:

You can do that when you have a stacked team like that along with the 2 best players in the world.

Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I don't think anyone is saying not to trade a 2nd. It's more along thelines of what are you getting for this 2nd? If you're giving it away for a depth rental than I along with most fans would say not to do that in a year with such a deep draft.

If you're giving up a 2nd and a young prospect for a quality player that will enter the line up and be a meaningful contributor now and in the future than I think you'd see a very different reaction.

It's all about what you're getting with your pick.

Keep in mind PK was a 2nd as well as a bunch of other top tier players in the league. Given our scouting and management, I don't think I've ever been so comfortable going into a draft as I am this year especially considering the depth of the draft as well as the number of picks we have in the top 70. Future is getting brighter and brighter!
I agree. I think your 1st and 2nd rounders, you hold onto them unless you get a guy that can make an impact past July 1st. At least at this point, maybe after another strong draft(assuming TT can add 3-4 blue chip guys in this draft) you consider a Pittsburgh style agressive trade.

Old
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
I don't know how he's been in Minny, but Ranger fans were thrilled to see him go earlier this year. Too slow, ineffective, didn't want to do his job, etc.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:23 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Almost every year we waste our 1st round pick on an "unproven" player.
By definition, any player selected in the NHL Entry Draft has never played in the NHL and this is "unproven" at the highest level.

On the other hand, if you mean that the Habs always "waste" their first round pick, that was true most years under Serge Savard, but not lately.

2005 Price
2006 unsigned, turned into 2nd rounder in 2011
2007 Pacioretty and McDonagh
2009 Leblanc
2010 Tinordi
2011 Beaulieu
2012 Galchenyuk

Old
04-02-2013, 09:23 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Carey Price (the poster), pretty sure Sulzer's season is over due to injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
1rst, Ramo (If we still had him) and Ellis.

Pretty much just a first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
That Bow deal. What Calgary got back...what would be the equivalent package for the Habs?
It's hard to peg in terms of value since CGY has to be banking on that STL pick being in the 15-20 range, with the possible hope a guy who was viewed as a top 10 prospect may fall to that range, while our pick will definitely be later in round 1.

Berra is not really a prospect at his age. I'll be surprised if he ever plays a NHL game.

Cundari could be compared to Ellis or Pateryn possibly, but probably not as valuable due to the waiver status BG described.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:24 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
I agree. I think your 1st and 2nd rounders, you hold onto them unless you get a guy that can make an impact past July 1st. At least at this point, maybe after another strong draft(assuming TT can add 3-4 blue chip guys in this draft) you consider a Pittsburgh style agressive trade.
May I remind you guys that we're playing 5 d-men on the road, and that we have 3 second rounders to play with this season? You'd rather make a giant "**** you" to your players and refuse to give them a chance to succeed than giving up one of those 2nd rounders to get a much needed experienced d-man?

Old
04-02-2013, 09:24 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Nobody cared to explain me how trading a 2nd rounder as part of a package would cripple the future of our team/lessen our chances to be competitive in further years.

There's something called asset optimization, and I perfectly understand that. But most people here are obsessive. Especially for a pick who would likely be a Michael Bournival or a Louis Leblanc. And that's if we're lucky...
People like to collect picks and prospects like they're million dollar bills or something. We have 3 2nd round picks and 2 3rds...a 1st place team with a lot of young talent, yet some still don't want to trade a few of those picks and a b level prospect to make a run and possibly win a cup. The same weirdos who wanted to tank this year so we could get a top pick and be like Edmonton.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:25 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
May I remind you guys that we're playing 5 d-men on the road, and that we have 3 second rounders to play with this season? You'd rather make a giant "**** you" to your players and refuse to give them a chance to succeed than giving up one of those 2nd rounders to get a much needed experienced d-man?
You really don't need to, you've posted it ten times in every thread on the first page I think.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:26 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
You really don't need to, you've posted it ten times in every thread on the first page I think.
Then I'll stop posting it whenever someone brings a valid argument on why it's not worth a 2nd draft pick to fill that hole... Your answer certainly doesn't bring any valid one.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:26 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
There are rumors that the Wild may trade for Clowe, so they would need to get rid of an expendable roster player (Rupp).

Old
04-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Clowe is definitely having a down year. However, his game is not really Moen's.

Prior to this year, the 4 before he put up 216 points in 304 games to go along with 379 PIMs.

Those are impressive Lucic-like numbers. The teams trading for him are gambling on a change of scenery getting him back to that 55 points 100 PIMs top 6 forward calibre of play.

I'm getting the feeling that MB is interested in him as a rental but not to sign him long term, so he won't pay a big price to get him where Minny or Phillie will.
I have always liked Clowe but his play took a step backwards last season and has taken another step backwards this season. He never was a great skater and he seems like he may have lost a step that he couldn't afford to lose.

I definitely would be wary of any longterm commitment and would not be interested in giving up more than a 2nd and a B level prospect for him.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
They trade a 1st and a couple of 2nds... So? I don't think Pittsburgh is going to be in any worst of a shape because of that in the future.

These are all trade I'm doing all days of the week if I'm Pittsburgh.
Pittsburgh will be entering a "cap crunch" so losing out on 3-4 potential young and cheap players could very well hurt them a lot in the next 3-5 years, moreso than the Habs who have a lot of cap flexibility going forward(expiring Gomez Kaberle Gionta Markov Ryder etc).

Malkin Kunitz Sutter Letang Orpik are all slated for raises. Especially Letang and Kunitz who will cost about 5 mil more combined. Without back diving contracts Malkin will cost 1-2 mil cap hit more.

Iginla Kennedy Morrow Cooke Dupuis Murray are all UFA's or RFA's after this year.

I see a point where they have very little depth and need a couple reclamation projects in their top 9 and a couple more on defense.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:29 AM
MJG

Quote:

People are obsessive because once a pick is traded it represents every player taken in the draft after that pick. Say we give up our second rounder (50th overall or later). 3 years from now, haters will say we could of had x player or y player or z player and we would be amazzziiiiinggg. Can't believe we traded it for a rental. What they don't realize is there is no guarantee we would of made a good pick. The pick is all potential. People prefer potential over a sure thing. Potential can be an all star. Whereas we know what the sure thing is. It's foolish but you can't change them. So just let it go.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:30 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Pittsburgh will be entering a "cap crunch" so losing out on 3-4 potential young and cheap players could very well hurt them a lot in the next 3-5 years, moreso than the Habs who have a lot of cap flexibility going forward(expiring Gomez Kaberle Gionta Markov Ryder etc).

Malkin Kunitz Sutter Letang Orpik are all slated for raises. Especially Letang and Kunitz who will cost about 5 mil more combined. Without back diving contracts Malkin will cost 1-2 mil cap hit more.

Iginla Kennedy Morrow Cooke Dupuis Murray are all UFA's or RFA's after this year.

I see a point where they have very little depth and need a couple reclamation projects in their top 9 and a couple more on defense.
You realize the cap keeps going up, and that they gave absolutely no "A" prospect in the process, right?

Guys like Bennett, Harrington, Maata, Pouliot, Despres are still part of this team.

You think their future would be better and more promising with Joe Morrow and a couple of second rounders?

Old
04-02-2013, 09:31 AM
onice

Quote:
Pominville is from the US.
He's a fr4anco as you can get. He was born in Repentingy. His mom is a Yank so he has dual citizenship.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:32 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Then I'll stop posting it whenever someone brings a valid argument on why it's not worth a 2nd draft pick to fill that hole... Your answer certainly doesn't bring any valid one.
I'm actually on your side here. With 3 2nd rounders and in the position we're in, I think we can/should certainly spend 1 or 2 of them to upgrade our defense.

That's my opinion. Other people have different opinions as to what we should do with our 2nd rounders, and that's okay too. I'm not about to start beating people over the head until they see things my way though.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:33 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Who could be less expensive alternatives to Clowe and Regehr and would cost a fair bit less...mid round pick or low end prospect?
Danny Kristo?

Old
04-02-2013, 09:34 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I'm actually on your side here. With 3 2nd rounders and in the position we're in, I think we can/should certainly spend 1 or 2 of them to upgrade our defense.

That's my opinion. Other people have different opinions as to what we should do with our 2nd rounders, and that's okay too. I'm not about to start beating people over the head until they see things my way though.
I'm not expecting people to change their minds. I just want people to bring some valid arguments to back up their claims. Because so far, I've not seen any. And I'm honest when I say I actually want to understand their point of view.

Closed Thread