HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Mark Cundari and Reto Berra

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2013, 03:37 AM
Adirondack Flames

vCash: 50
I like how Cunderi sounds, but one thing really confuses me about Berra, how is he even Blues property to trade still? After not coming to terms in June 2008 shouldn't have he been re-entered into the draft and then become a UFA if he went undrafted? Or did Berra sign an ELC and has sat as a RFA since?

Old
04-02-2013, 04:32 AM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

vCash: 500
Reto really likes pic-a-nic baskets.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:51 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abars View Post
Swiss fans are very high on Berra they say hes better than Hiller already. He told his team he will be going to N.A next season so looks like a Ramo/Berra tandem for the Flames, hopefully one of them can be the next Kipper!
Leafs fans heard the same things about Jonas Gustavsson. If there's one thing you can be sure of it's that's goalies are easily the hardest to project among any position. AINEC

Old
04-02-2013, 08:30 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
I like how Cunderi sounds, but one thing really confuses me about Berra, how is he even Blues property to trade still? After not coming to terms in June 2008 shouldn't have he been re-entered into the draft and then become a UFA if he went undrafted? Or did Berra sign an ELC and has sat as a RFA since?
I don't think there is a transfer agreement between the NHL and NLA.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:48 AM
LukeD
On Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Leafs fans heard the same things about Jonas Gustavsson. If there's one thing you can be sure of it's that's goalies are easily the hardest to project among any position. AINEC
True. Flames have so many goalie prospects in the system now, there's gotta be a gem in there!

Old
04-02-2013, 09:17 AM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
I don't think there is a transfer agreement between the NHL and NLA.
this would be a CBA thing would it not? 2 years after being drafted the player re-enters the draft. I think maybe he had an ELC as he did at the very least visit some Blues rookie or training camps. So it may be the same situation as Ramo, a qualified RFA with no contract.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:52 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
this would be a CBA thing would it not? 2 years after being drafted the player re-enters the draft. I think maybe he had an ELC as he did at the very least visit some Blues rookie or training camps. So it may be the same situation as Ramo, a qualified RFA with no contract.
Ramo actually played on his ELC though. Berra never signed. It's similar to a guy drafted out of the Czech League or KHL. The 2 year rule does not apply for those leagues. For example the Flyers drafted a goalie out of the Czech League in the very same draft by the name of Jakub Kovar. They still own his rights despite drafting him almost 7 years ago. Same goes with Berra.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:58 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan View Post
According to Feaster
Cundari is one of the best dmen in the AHL
Berra is one of the two best goalies outside of the NHL

So as long as they stay out of the NHL..it's a good deal
I really hope he didn't justify the trade based on those assumptions, that's all I can say.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Buttonwood
feaster in the groin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
While I think its stupid and premature to label anyone, specifically goaltenders, the best players outside of NA, I think for the Flames we're flipping two coins (or rolling two die if these goalies are that bad ) and hoping one of them comes up golden. Its obviously not going to be an easy couple year in Calgary so if neither work out, then maybe Gillis or Brossoit can step up.

Your last line says it all. I'd rather get some quantity depth in the net and hope somebody takes the lead. I like that Ramo is the midget among them at 6'2" too.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:43 AM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeD View Post
True. Flames have so many goalie prospects in the system now, there's gotta be a gem in there!
No kidding

Taylor
Irving
Broissoit
Gillies
Ortio
Ramo
Berra

One of those guys has to be our starter in 3-4 years. Im betting on Gillies.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:20 AM
LukeD
On Fire

@NHLFlames

""Once he's cleared, I would imagine we'll probably see him in Calgary." - #Flames GM Jay Feaster on Mark Cundari"

Old
04-02-2013, 01:55 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeD View Post
@NHLFlames

""Once he's cleared, I would imagine we'll probably see him in Calgary." - #Flames GM Jay Feaster on Mark Cundari"
Then you must not have a ton of NHL ready depth.

He is a solid pickup all things considered. Moves the puck very well and will win battles along the boards, while small, he is very solid and stocky and wont back away from physical play.

Pretty solid skater, good positionally, but due to the depth on the Blue line for St. Luois, he wasn't going to get much of a chance to play.

He will likely top out as a 3rd pairing guy - which is fine - atleast he is a servicable player. He had a good first year in the AHL, but last season he wasn't very good. This year he is one of the better dmen in Peoria- but that isn't saying much.

He isn't the big piece in the deal, but better then some of the stuff you got for Iggy.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:34 PM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Ramo actually played on his ELC though. Berra never signed. It's similar to a guy drafted out of the Czech League or KHL. The 2 year rule does not apply for those leagues. For example the Flyers drafted a goalie out of the Czech League in the very same draft by the name of Jakub Kovar. They still own his rights despite drafting him almost 7 years ago. Same goes with Berra.
thanks, it seems silly the rule would apply to some leagues and not others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post

He is a solid pickup all things considered. Moves the puck very well and will win battles along the boards, while small, he is very solid and stocky and wont back away from physical play.

Pretty solid skater, good positionally, but due to the depth on the Blue line for St. Luois, he wasn't going to get much of a chance to play.

He will likely top out as a 3rd pairing guy - which is fine - atleast he is a servicable player. He had a good first year in the AHL, but last season he wasn't very good. This year he is one of the better dmen in Peoria- but that isn't saying much.

He isn't the big piece in the deal, but better then some of the stuff you got for Iggy.
The Flames don't have alot of NHL ready defensemen in the AHL currently. Chris Breen is about the only one and he is injured and possibly out for the year.

The Flames best defensive prospects will just be turning pro next season (Wotherspoon, Ramage) or will have 1 year of CHL eligibility left (Patrick Sieloff) after this year.

Old
04-02-2013, 06:09 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:

Not really but we have seen guys like Ellerby, Loktionov get a new chance on a new team and do well.

Old
04-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

vCash: 1075
Berra was drafted in 2006 and still has not came over. Sure, there is hope, but at this point he's staying. Sorry Flames fans, but don't get your hopes up. I'm not trying to be a blues fan thinking all positives, but I do not believe he will ever come over.

Cundari has top 6 potential but needs to learn positioning. He likely will take a year or two more.

Old
04-04-2013, 06:47 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

I'm pretty sure Berra just signed an ELC.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:31 PM
Reinhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by your jaskin too much View Post
Berra was drafted in 2006 and still has not came over. Sure, there is hope, but at this point he's staying. Sorry Flames fans, but don't get your hopes up. I'm not trying to be a blues fan thinking all positives, but I do not believe he will ever come over.

Cundari has top 6 potential but needs to learn positioning. He likely will take a year or two more.
Berra stated he intends to come to North America next season, and this was before the trade. He is coming. If he makes it as anything, that will be determined.. but apparently, he is coming over.

Old
04-04-2013, 09:23 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by your jaskin too much View Post

Berra has already signed an 1 year ELC according to Swiss papers.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:05 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Not really but we have seen guys like Ellerby, Loktionov get a new chance on a new team and do well.
Is there a reason why he isn't with the flames? Figured he would get a cup of tea with the flames with the season scrapped. Experience is always good.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:09 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Is there a reason why he isn't with the flames? Figured he would get a cup of tea with the flames with the season scrapped. Experience is always good.
I believe they are giving him a few games in the ahl to see what he has and will be given a shot over the last few games of the year. The Heat are hanging on to playoff hopes and are most likely trying to win out and make it so Cundari offers them more right now, but if they lose a few he will most likely be given a shot on the Flames.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:29 AM
Ashasx

Cundari is currently injured.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:02 AM
herashak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Cundari is currently injured.
what happened

Old
04-14-2013, 08:59 PM
TheHudlinator

Cundari has played 2 games on the Heat so far, he has 4 assists and 13 pims.

Old
04-15-2013, 03:13 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonator View Post
2 scrubs that will never likely play ever in the NHL. Classic trade yet again by Feaster.
Disagree completely on Cundari. Completely agree on Berra. Cundari is the only prospect we picked up in those two trades that I actually liked or had even heard of before the deal went down. I saw him play during the lockout and loved his game. I think he'll be kind of an Ian White/Giordano hybrid. Not as good as Giordano, but better than White.

Old
04-15-2013, 05:24 AM
koh19

I know you guys aren't supposed to follow the Swiss news closely but before stating so-called facts, you should probably do a bit of research.

It's now been 2-3 seasons that there's been talk of Berra and the NHL. It's almost 100% sure he's moving this offseason. He's arguably one of the best goaltenders out of the NHL, managed to get Biel into the playoffs, finished 8th and went all the way to game 7 with the #1 seed. Just because he's 26 and he's never played an NHL hockey game doesn't mean he's worth a bag of pucks.

Closed Thread