HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[CGY/STL] Jay Bouwmeester for STL 2013 1st, Reto Berra and Mark Cundari

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2013, 07:00 AM
NutCracker

vCash: 500
Bouwmeester sucks and 1st would be certainly enough for him

Old
04-02-2013, 07:01 AM
SenzZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
He's Been laying well this yr, looked better than Gio the games I have seen. idk ppl see a guy who hasn't made the playoffs and had a bad yr and automatically think he's average? We hear the same thing about Stewart all the time.
I really doubt you do. Stewart hasn't been around nearly as long and hasn't been as underwhelming save for last year.

Last edited by EastonBlues22: 04-02-2013 at 07:22 AM. Reason: offensive
Old
04-02-2013, 07:03 AM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeD View Post
Oh I know he's been playing better this year, it's been his best year with the Flames. But still, nearly EVERYONE was ******** on him no more than 24 hours ago. But now he's a top defenseman, and the Flames got absolutely robbed.

FWIW, I think the deal is average. Coulda been better, coulda been worse.
Think a lot of it came from the contract and what Flames fans were expecting to get for him. Just yesterday there was a thread where someone thought the Flames could get Berglund for JBo.

Old
04-02-2013, 07:14 AM
LukeD
On Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
Think a lot of it came from the contract and what Flames fans were expecting to get for him. Just yesterday there was a thread where someone thought the Flames could get Berglund for JBo.
And those expectations were silly.

What I'm saying is that yesterday Bouwmeester was thought of as a hugely overpaid scrub who very few teams would touch, and today he's a top defenseman who should have got the Flames much much more in return.

Old
04-02-2013, 07:41 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
And those expectations were silly.

What I'm saying is that yesterday Bouwmeester was thought of as a hugely overpaid scrub who very few teams would touch, and today he's a top defenseman who should have got the Flames much much more in return.
The people saying those different things are not the same people, even if they happen to frequent the same site. You may choose to group them into a single entity in your mind, but that's not how it works.

Old
04-02-2013, 07:52 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

At least the Flames got out from under JBO's contract and still got a first and a couple meddling prospects.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
Old
04-02-2013, 08:01 AM
BinCookin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
I'm not a Flames fan, so I've got no reason to defend Feaster, but....a lot of people need to understand the ownership's involvement in this deal:

- had the Flames been willing to eat part of JBo's salary (a smart move, because they could then just keep trading away other players for picks and stay above the floor), then they likely could have gotten an even better return -- either from the Blues, or perhaps even another team. (Feaster even said, and TSN guys verified, that JBo's contract at full cap-hit left some other teams out of the running). Thus, the owners are part of why this package is what it is.
THis is a great point, why is no one talking about it?

Why did Feaster refuse to take some of JBo's salary???

Take on about 2-3 Million of JBo's deal. It is only for 1 year.
This would have been a SIGNIFICANT move, that increases his value.
On the TSN interview Feaster himself said the Salary took alot of teams out of the running.
So Take the Salary out of the running! Jeez!

With all the veterans being traded away, the Calgary salary structure just dropped massively. They are likely to approach the salary floor.
JBo at 4 Million per season sounds MUCH MUCH different than JBo at 6.6.
JBo is at worst a "good" defensemen if you don't mention the salary.

Some team would have easily topped this offer if he was 4 Million.
I have to imagine this is a pride thing. "We are not going to pay 2-3 million for a player playing for ANOTHER TEAM!"

Well that stance just cost you a lot Calgary.

Last edited by BinCookin: 04-02-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old
04-02-2013, 08:01 AM
LukeD
On Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
The people saying those different things are not the same people, even if they happen to frequent the same site. You may choose to group them into a single entity in your mind, but that's not how it works.
If you say so.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:10 AM
Uber Coca

Solid trade for both team IMO.

Feaster is doing what he needs to do, which is unloading bad contracts and stacking draft picks in order to do a complete rebuild.

Unfortunately for the fans, the Flames are going to suck for some years until the prospects reach their potential. They needed it in order to get back on track. Remember, not every team has the core to do a short rebuild.

I also like this time of the year mostly because this board becomes funny as hell. So many so-called experts are having a hard time understanding the value of a player at a certain time to a certain team. Each trade has a different context (salary, caphit, draft picks, standings, performance, NMCs and NTCs, etc) that impacts on the value of a player.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:14 AM
Mike Liut

Not sure why people think if the Flames would have eaten some of his salary they would have got a better return. That's like saying for 2 million dollars you can have Ty Rattie. Not going to happen.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:18 AM
tsujimoto74

I'm sure Feaster is getting a lot of hate for only getting "who?" prospects as the + in these deals, but, at the end of the day, he's set the Flames up to go into a deep draft with 3 1st round picks. If he drafts well, this will be a very good/quick start to Calgary's rebuild. I think it's a solid deal.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:19 AM
BinCookin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
Not sure why people think if the Flames would have eaten some of his salary they would have got a better return. That's like saying for 2 million dollars you can have Ty Rattie. Not going to happen.
For 2.5 Million dollars, alot of other teams do not have to let their UFA's walk, or lose their RFA's.

The salary cap is a big deal.

The Red Wings would have offered more for a 4Mil dollar JBo! (I bet 3-4 other NHL teams would as well)

And it appears Calgary is not going to be near the cap for the next 5 years at least. That is the outcome of trading away all the highest paid players!

Old
04-02-2013, 08:25 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
If you say so.
What does that even mean?

Old
04-02-2013, 08:26 AM
Reznor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
This new kid though.... He's not even the best goalie in the Swiss league. Feaster blowing smoke as per usual.
Sure if you look only the stats. But fact is that he allowed a bottom 4 team to go into the playoffs twice in a row and made Fribourg (1st of regular season) go to game 7 of the first round almost by himself. He is with Conz (who is playing in a much better team) the best goalie this season.
These two were miles above Flueeler, Stephan and Genoni this season...

Last edited by Reznor: 04-02-2013 at 08:27 AM. Reason: correction
Old
04-02-2013, 09:08 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

It'll be interesting to see how Bouwmeester does in St.Louis. If he lives up to the hype he had surrounding him during his time in Florida then it's a great pickup for them.

04-02-2013, 09:13 AM
derriko

vCash: 4116
Who cares? its the Swiss league. Im not saying theres no legitimate prospects there or anything, but even the best Swiss goalies are hardly even comparable to the KHL or SEL, let alone the NHL.

Saying you got one of the best goalies outside of the NHL is a joke no matter which way you put it. I would take at least 5 goalies before him in each major non-NHL league.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Reznor

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
Who cares? its the Swiss league. Im not saying theres no legitimate prospects there or anything, but even the best Swiss goalies are hardly even comparable to the KHL or SEL, let alone the NHL.

Saying you got one of the best goalies outside of the NHL is a joke no matter which way you put it. I would take at least 5 goalies before him in each major non-NHL league.
Because you saw him play so many times...

Old
04-02-2013, 09:22 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutCracker View Post
Bouwmeester sucks and 1st would be certainly enough for him
Sheer and utter tripe.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:29 AM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinCookin View Post
For 2.5 Million dollars, alot of other teams do not have to let their UFA's walk, or lose their RFA's.

The salary cap is a big deal.

The Red Wings would have offered more for a 4Mil dollar JBo! (I bet 3-4 other NHL teams would as well)

And it appears Calgary is not going to be near the cap for the next 5 years at least. That is the outcome of trading away all the highest paid players!
Five years? Doubtful. The Flames are going to be consistently looking for bargains.

They're a team with money and cap. Expect them to use that to their advantage immediately. Seriously, who needs five years minimum for a rebuild.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:30 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Something tells me that if St.Louis makes the playoffs (which they will), a meteor will strike the earth preventing Bouwmeester from playing a playoff game.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Langdon Alger*

https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/...97629755731968

Quote:
Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun 1m

Wings were in it on Bouwmeester but not willing to move a 1st-rd pick in the package. Which frankly, for Detroit, was right call
First-round picks this year seem to be extremely valuable. Lots of quality prospects up for selection this year.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:26 AM
derriko

vCash: 4116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznor View Post
Because you saw him play so many times...
I've only seen him play 3-4 games internationally, and this was what, 2007? but I wasnt even specifically talking about Berra. I was talking more to the fact that if you are in the Swiss league at 26, theres something wrong if you are considered an NHL talent, let alone "one of the best goalies outside of the NHL."

Hell, Hiller was an exception, and looked like a long shot himself, and he was 24 when he left!

This guy basically is what he is...not many players get significantly better at his age, and he needs to, to ever even sniff the show.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:45 AM
Zoombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
I've only seen him play 3-4 games internationally, and this was what, 2007? but I wasnt even specifically talking about Berra. I was talking more to the fact that if you are in the Swiss league at 26, theres something wrong if you are considered an NHL talent, let alone "one of the best goalies outside of the NHL."

Hell, Hiller was an exception, and looked like a long shot himself, and he was 24 when he left!

This guy basically is what he is...not many players get significantly better at his age, and he needs to, to ever even sniff the show.
Yeah that Fasth guy too. Goalies are always longshots I don't think anyone is arguing that Berra is a sure thing

Old
04-02-2013, 10:48 AM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoombie View Post
Yeah that Fasth guy too. Goalies are always longshots I don't think anyone is arguing that Berra is a sure thing
You have to play the odds with goalie prospects. That means, if you want to develop your own goalie, you need lots of goalie prospects. They can crap out or come out of nowhere at any moment.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:52 AM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

Well, Calgary sure is setting themselves up for the future. Seems like a good deal on both sides to me -- Calgary bulks up their odds of building a better team 5 years down the road (even if I think they could have squeezed better pieces out of St. Louis in terms of prospects, but a first rounder is impressive), and the Blues have wanted Bouwmeester for awhile now.

Question: should Wade Redden be sweating?

Closed Thread