HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2012 Lineup Assassination Thread - Sam Pollock Division

Old
03-25-2013, 09:58 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Charlie Gardiner was something of an anomaly in his day in that he came out of his net to break up plays. Should be a good fit for a trapping team.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:35 PM
DoMakc

Thanks for your constructive feed back und suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post

Defense

Overall: Your defense isn't the strength of your team, but not a weakness either, I'd call it average. Having Robinson as the assistant will be helpful too.
I agree. Defence is by no means the biggest strength of my team. i tried to pick defemcemen, who are solid in their own end, who are capable in transition. Size was another prerequisit - trapping team's defencemen should be able to wear down opponent's forwards. The whole concept of a defencive team and capable two-way forward should mask some defecits of my defencemen.

As for Neilson, I encourage you to read the great boigraphy 70ies made for him. i think he is more then capable of being 3rd D, especially with such reliable partner as Reise and defencive-minded forward group.

Quote:
Special Teams
Powerplay: Graves is out of place on a 1st Unit. You probably put him there because you want a big body in front, but I don't like it. Not sure what the best way to go here is, maybe just put Martinec on that unit and just kill them with skill. McKenney should be playing more minutes than Graves, and he is a much better offensive player, so he could fill in on the 2nd unit and replace some of the playmaking that was taken away by moving Martinec up. Zetterberg is another guy who could move up, again with McKenney taking his spot. I don't know if I'd have Graves on the PP at all here. This is probably something to ask about in the lineup advice thread.

The first unit D are good. I think you want Ohlund's shot on the second unit. Not sure between Savard and Keith for the last spot.
Graves was 3 times in top 10 and 6 times top 20 in PP-Goals. I think Pelletier complemeted him for his work in front of the net on PP. i think he should be playing on one of the PP-units. i guess i need more opinions on that matter.
I agree about McKenney, if I demote Graves to the 2nd PP-unit, i put him there instead of Pronovost, who i think was better ES player.

Quote:
Penalty Kill: Forwards seem fine. No one elite, but the fact that you have 3 full pairs that you can roll should help. Unless I'm missing something, Ohlund seems really out of place on a 1st unit PK. Savard is obviously great, but I think one of the guys from the 2nd unit needs to move up. And then, I'm not even sure if Ohlund should be on the 2nd unit? I know he has size on Keith, but I think I like Keith as a better option, who will have a large partner to clear the front of the net.
i'd call Pandolfo elite penalty killer.

Why shouldn't Ohlund be on PK-unit? He led Canucks in SHTOI 6 season and was close second another season couple seconds behind Salo, while averaging over 4 minutes. i think i should give Keith some PK minutes too, but i'm not sure he is abetter option then Ohlund.

DoMakc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:16 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMakc View Post
Graves was 3 times in top 10 and 6 times top 20 in PP-Goals. I think Pelletier complemeted him for his work in front of the net on PP. i think he should be playing on one of the PP-units. i guess i need more opinions on that matter.
I agree about McKenney, if I demote Graves to the 2nd PP-unit, i put him there instead of Pronovost, who i think was better ES player.
Maybe Graves is good enough for 2nd unit PP, but I still don't like him on a 1st unit. I like Zetterberg on the 1st unit, with McKenney centering the 2nd.

Quote:
i'd call Pandolfo elite penalty killer.
This is probably just a matter of us having different definitions of "elite." For me, that means a Top 16 forward PKer in the entire draft, which I definitely do not think Pandolfo is.

Quote:
Why shouldn't Ohlund be on PK-unit? He led Canucks in SHTOI 6 season and was close second another season couple seconds behind Salo, while averaging over 4 minutes. i think i should give Keith some PK minutes too, but i'm not sure he is abetter option then Ohlund.
1st Unit PK is for the very best of the best...has Ohlund even been considered one of the best PKers during his own generation or one of the best defensive defensemen? If he has it's news to me. Maybe he can play 2nd unit, but I just think Keith is better, who at least has a stretch where he was considered one of the best defensemen in the league defensively. I think Keith's speed is useful too if you can give him a bigger partner to clear the net. There may be some bias here from me, so maybe get another opinion.

Hawkey Town 18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:52 PM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Everyone, your Baltimore Blades Roster for 2013:

Baltimore Blades

Head Coach: Pat Burns

Cy Denneny-Bobby Clarke (C)-Rod Gilbert
Dean Prentice-Adam Oates -Peter Bondra
J.P. Parise-Brent Sutter-Dirk Graham
Ryan Smyth-Jonathan Toews-Milan Hejduk

Spares:Gerard Gallant (LW), Alexander Almetov (C)

Tim Horton (A)-Jan Suchy
Craig Hartsburg-Red Horner (A)
Steve Smith-Phil Russell
Spares: Doug Bodger (D), Dave Langevin (D)

Roy Worters
Evgeni Nabokov

Special Teams:

PP 1: Cy Denneny-Adam Oates-Rod Gilbert-Jan Suchy-Peter Bondra
PP 2: Dean Prentice-Bobby Clarke-Milan Hejduk-Craig Hartsburg-Tim Horton

PK 1: Dirk Graham-Bobby Clarke-Tim Horton-Red Horner
PK 2: Dean Prentice-Brent Sutter-Jan Suchy-Phil Russell

03-26-2013, 05:38 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Special Teams:

Not a lot to say at the moment, but I like that you kept Clarke on the top PK unit. If you have Oates as the man to bump up on the powerplay I think that's a good decision.

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 07:50 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMakc View Post
Gentlemen, your 2013 HC Donbass...

Head Coach: Lemaire
Assistant Coach: Robinson
Captain: Goodfellow
Alternates: Mikita, Zetterberg, Graves

Mohns - Mikita - Kurri
B.Stuart - Zetterberg - Martinec
Graves - McKenney- J.Pronovost
Pandolfo - Skov - Keane
Hamill
U. Nilsson

S.Savard - Goodfellow
Neilson - Reise
Keith - Ohlund
Rochefort

Gardiner
Resch

Powerplay:
Graves - Mikita - Kurri
Goodfellow - Mohns

Pronovost - Zetterberg - Martinec
Keith - Savard

Penalty Kill:
Skov - Pandolfo
Savard - Ohlund

McKenney - Keane
Neilson - Reise

Zetterberg-Graves
Savard - Goodfellow

ForwardsESPPPKtotal
Mohns155020
Mikita 154120
Kurri154019
B. Stuart150015
Zetterberg133117
Martinec133016
Graves114116
McKenney110213
J.Pronovost113115
Pandolfo5038
Skov70310
Keane7029
Total12826*14178*

DefensemenESPPPKTotal
S. Savard182424
Goodfellow185124
Neilson170320
Reise170320
Keith112013
Ohlund110314
Total929*14115*
Planning to review a few teams during this assasination period, will start with this one:

1st Line: Really like the line, Mikita and Kurri especially. Mikita was the type of person that did everything you would want in a hockey player. Kurri was more or less the same. Mohns is the strong "weak link" on this line but on a line with Mikita and Kurri that's a good thing. A great 1st line.

2nd Line: Your 2nd line is more or less the same. I really like Zetterberg, he and Mikita play a similar game. Stuart seems to be the muscle on this line. Don't know much about Martinec but he should provide decent offense for your team.

3rd line: Another good line. I actually had eyes on picking Graves for my 3rd line left wing spot. Really solid player who can chip in well offensively. Mckenney's one of the better checking line centres in the draft. Jean Pronovost was always good as well. Should be a good line that mixes both offense and defense.

4th line: This appears to be the weak spot for your team's forward group which is what 4th lines usualy are. They should provide adequate defense (Especially Pandolfo and Keane), don't think they'll bring much offensively though.

1st Defensive Pairing: Never been that sold on Savard as a #1 guy, he's pretty good defensively but his offensive game needs work, better suited as a #2 if you ask me. Ebbie Goodfellow seems to be a good 2-way guy. Neither seem to be suited for the #1 defensive role on a team which may cost you.

2nd Defensive Pairing: This is a solid pairing, Neilson is going to be one of the better #3 defensemen in this thing and will provide adequate defensive play for your team. Leo Reise appears to be the offensive defenseman on this pairing, should be a solid pairing.

3rd Defensive Pairing: No offense but I don't see what Duncan Ketih has done in his career to warrant being a #5 defenseman at this level. I think he warrants selection as an extra in this but that's it. Ohlund is a good one though, always been a solid defenseman throughout his career.

Goaltending: Gardiner seems to be 1 of the best all-time. I look forward to the battles between him and Worters throughout the season. Resch is a decent enough backup, your goaltending is fine.

Coaching: Lemaire is a good one on the right team. I think this is the right team for Lemaire's coaching style. I've never been a fan of assistant coaches in this but I think Robinson, teamed up with Lemaire, is a great coaching duo.

Spares: Hamill and Nilsson are both really good spares and should fill in well in times of injury. I like Rochefort as well, if you ask me I'd sub him in for Duncan Keith on the 3rd pairing.

Special Teams: No thoughts on these other than that Leo Reise should be there though, don't know who you would sub him in for though

Overall thoughts: Really solid team that is more defensively oriented, going to be a lot of close low-scoring games with this team. Good luck.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:27 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
2nd Defensive Pairing: This is a solid pairing, Neilson is going to be one of the better #3 defensemen in this thing and will provide adequate defensive play for your team.
I'm a big Jim Neilson fan, but calling him one of the better #3 defensemen in the draft is kind of bizarre. He'd be one of the better #4s, but as a #3, he's on the low end. Is there something I'm missing here?

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:41 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
I'm a big Jim Neilson fan, but calling him one of the better #3 defensemen in the draft is kind of bizarre. He'd be one of the better #4s, but as a #3, he's on the low end. Is there something I'm missing here?
That should probably read one of the better defensive #3's or better 2nd pairing defensemen.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:23 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
Les Nordiques de Québec

(1972-1995)

General Manager: DaveG & EagleBelfour
Head Coach: Peter Laviolette
Assistant Coach: Father David Bauer

Richard Martin - Mark Messier - Bill Cook
Sid Smith - Eric Lindros - Didier Pitre
Alf Smith - Fred Stanfield - Gordie Drillon
Mel Bridgman - Orland Kurtenbach - Stan Smyl
Art Chapman
XXX

Jack Stewart - Babe Siebert
Frantisek Pospisil - Leo Boivin
František Tikal - Ron Greschner
Gilles Marotte

Tom Barrasso
Eddie Giacomin

Powerplay:
Mark Messier - Sid Smith - Bill Cook
Babe Siebert - Didier Pitre

Richard Martin - Eric Lindros - Gordie Drillon
Fred Stanfield - Frantisek Pospisil

Penalty Kill:
Alf Smith - Mark Messier
Jack Stewart - Leo Boivin

Stan Smyl - Mel Bridgman
Frantisek Pospisil - Frantisek Tikal

Bill Cook - Orland Kurtenbach
Ron Greschner - Babe Siebert
Some thoughts on this team:

1st Line Forwards: Really good 1st line. Messier and Cook was my plan last year until Glenn Hall slipped to me. They should really feast on opposing teams. Rick Martin is no slouch either. Definitely a terrifying 1st line.

2nd Line Forwards: A little bit of a drop off here but not much. Lindros was one of the best guys in the league at his peak. I expect him to terrorize opposing teams in this. Injury concerns run rampant with Lindros but if healthy he's one of the best. Smith is going to be the goal scorer on this line, I like Pitre as well. It's a solid 2nd line but a step down from the 1st.

3rd Line Forwards: I like the 3rd line. Stanfield is a decent enough playmaker to give the puck to the goal scorer Gordie Drillon. Alf Smith is the glue guy here and should work well in that role, as has been noted he may take a lot of penalties though. This 3rd line is not your traditional 3rd line but it's still going to be good offensively.

4th Line Forwards: This is more of a traditional rough and tumble 4th line. Bridgman was a guy I looked at when I picked Toews, just a really good player for this role. Kurtenbach seems like the prototypical ATD 4th liner, I had Smyl last year, he's good in this role. It's going to struggle due to lack of offense but given it's a 4th line it may not play much.

I'll be back later to review the other parts of this team.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:13 PM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 873
Good thing you haven't completed our assassination, as we made some change to our lineup:

Les Nordiques de Québec

(1972-1995)

Mel Bridgman - Michal Handzus - Stan Smyl
Art Chapman
Orland Kurtenbach

Gilles Marotte

Tom Barrasso
Eddie Giacomin

Powerplay:
Mark Messier - Gordie Drillon - Bill Cook

Richard Martin - Sid Smith - Eric Lindros

Penalty Kill:
Mark Messier - Michal Handzus
Jack Stewart - Frantisek Pospisil

Babe Siebert - Mel Bridgman
Leo Boivin - Frantisek Tikal

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:41 PM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
Good thing you haven't completed our assassination, as we made some change to our lineup:

Les Nordiques de Québec

(1972-1995)

Mel Bridgman - Michal Handzus - Stan Smyl
Art Chapman
Orland Kurtenbach

Gilles Marotte

Tom Barrasso
Eddie Giacomin

Powerplay:
Mark Messier - Gordie Drillon - Bill Cook

Richard Martin - Sid Smith - Eric Lindros

Penalty Kill:
Mark Messier - Michal Handzus
Jack Stewart - Frantisek Pospisil

Babe Siebert - Mel Bridgman
Leo Boivin - Frantisek Tikal

1st Line Forwards: Really good 1st line. Messier and Cook was my plan last year until Glenn Hall slipped to me. They should really feast on opposing teams. Rick Martin is no slouch either. Definitely a terrifying 1st line.

2nd Line Forwards: A little bit of a drop off here but not much. Lindros was one of the best guys in the league at his peak. I expect him to terrorize opposing teams in this. Injury concerns run rampant with Lindros but if healthy he's one of the best. Smith is going to be the goal scorer on this line, I like Pitre as well. It's a solid 2nd line but a step down from the 1st.

3rd Line Forwards: I like the 3rd line. Stanfield is a decent enough playmaker to give the puck to the goal scorer Gordie Drillon. Alf Smith is the glue guy here and should work well in that role, as has been noted he may take a lot of penalties though. This 3rd line is not your traditional 3rd line but it's still going to be good offensively.

4th Line Forwards: This is more of a traditional rough and tumble 4th line. Bridgman was a guy I looked at when I picked Toews, just a really good player for this role. Handzuz seems like the prototypical ATD 4th liner and should help you keep leads late in games, I had Smyl last year, he's good in this role. It's going to struggle due to lack of offense but given it's a 4th line it may not play much.

1st Defensive Pairing: Jack Stewart's middle of the pack as far as #1 defensemen go but he still should be a solid #1, I expect him, Messier and Cook to terrorize a lot of teams. Seibert split a lot of time between forward and defense but still had a good career at defense to warrant selection here.

2nd Defensive Pairing: Popisil's another good 1. He should be a good 2 way presence for you guys and is one of the better 2nd pairing defenseman in this. Boivin's another hard hitter for you guys, I expect both guys to provide some hard hits for your team.

3rd Pairing: Another good pairing. Tikal seems like someone that would be believable on a 2nd pairing. Greschner's a really good guy on offense, I strongly contemplated picking him last year.

Goalies: On a team of tough guys it seems fitting Barasso's your goalie, as far as low end #1's go Barasso might be the best. Just don't have him speak to the media...LOL. Giacomin's usually one of the lower end #1's in this but for your team he's the backup and should be among the best backups in the league. Solid duo.

Coaching: This seems like Laviolette's type of team. He's been pretty succesful wherever he has gone and should be here as well. Fr. David Bauer is a good assistant.

Spares: Chapman should provide solid offense off the bench for you guys and will probably be called up if an injury occurs to Lindros. Kurtenbach provides defense and little else. Marotte provides a good 2 way game and seems to provide the toughness that the rest of your team has in spades.

Special Teams: Good to see Drillon on your 1st power play, that is the best way to use Drillon in a more prominent role. Rick Martin is one of your better goal scorers, I probably would have had him on the 1st power play line, also Ron Greschner is missing, I find that questionable. Your penalty kill has drawn criticism but I think it should be fine.

Overall: This is 1 scary team that's going to give a lot of clubs nightmares. That said you have to hope that your key players don't take stupid penalties thta would cost your team a game, best of luck to you guys.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:36 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Special Teams: Good to see Drillon on your 1st power play, that is the best way to use Drillon in a more prominent role. Rick Martin is one of your better goal scorers, I probably would have had him on the 1st power play line also Ron Greschner is missing, I find that questionable. Your penalty kill has drawn criticism but I think it should be fine.
I don't see how they can possible take Messier or Cook off the first PP though. They definitely have an abundance of PP riches up front, even if they don't really have a top PP QB.

And wow, good point about Greschner not on the PP. I almost think they'd be better off benching him in favor of a more two-way defenseman if they aren't going to use him on the PP at all.

Old
03-29-2013, 05:36 PM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Engine View Post
Yekaterinburg Automobilist

Coach: Bob Johnson
Captain: Joe Sakic
Assistants: Pierre Pilote, Trevor Linden

Jack Adams - Joe Sakic - Ace Bailey
Anatoly Firsov - Mike Modano - Trevor Linden
Dick Duff - Joel Otto - Johnny Peirson
Al Secord - Doug Weight - Corey Perry

Pierre Pilote - Si Griffis
Eduard Ivanov - Sylvio Mantha
Steve Duchesne - Joe Hall

Clint Benedict
Henrik Lundqvist

Spares:
Tom Anderson
Yevgeny Babich
Ray Ferraro
Dmitri Yushkevich

Powerplay
Pierre Pilote - Anatoly Firsov - Jack Adams - Joe Sakic - Steve Duchesne
Sylvio Mantha - Mike Modano - Corey Perry - Ace Bailey - Doug Weight

Penalty Kill
Joel Otto - Ace Bailey - Sylvio Mantha - Joe Hall
Joe Sakic - Trevor Linden - Pierre Pilote - Si Griffis

This team is built for speed, puck movement, and relentless two-way play.
I've reviewed all the other teams in this division, might as well do yours:

Line 1: Decent 1st line. Adams is a decent enough player and appears to be the glue guy for this line. Not sure I buy him as a 1st liner at this level though but he's still a good player. Sakic, of course, is Sakic. In a division with Clarke, Messier and Mikita it was important to get a decent centre which you got in Sakic. The guy did it all and should do it here on this line. Ace Bailey is a what if in hockey's history. You have to wonder just how good he could have been had he not suffered that career ending injury. Overall you have a good but not great 1st line.

Line 2: Surprised to see Firsov down on the 2nd line, to me he looks like he's the most talented of your top 6 wingers. I think I'd switch Adams and Firsov if I were you. Mike Modano is a lot like Sakic and will do anything you ask of him, him and Firsov should provide for a really good scoring combo on your 2nd line. Linden is a great glue guy here, still I find him over-rated here in the ATD but if he's just a glue guy he should be fine.

Line 3: Dick Duff is another good one. He'll score you goals and he'll battle for pucks in the corners. He appears to be the main offensive guy on what looks to be a traditional 3rd line. Otto's good as well, perhaps one of the best 3rd line centres in this. With a division that includes Clarke, Mikita and Messier as 1st line centres, I look for Otto to try and battle vs. them in games and do a good job in doing so, good pick. Peirson should provide a strong 2 way game for your team. Overall this is a traditional checking line as well as a really good one.

Line 4: Much like me you went for an offense first 4th line. Al Secord is going to be glue guy here, I expect him to battle opposing players late in games and get you goals. I liken him to Ryan Smyth on my team. Doug Weight's a guy I was seriously considering when I picked Pat Burns, the guy is a good playmaker which works well for this line, solid pick. Corey Perry's another good one, 3 time 30 goal scorer and he's only in his late 20's, he'll only get better, solid pick.

1st defense pairing: A good 2 way pairing Pilote and Griffis will provide your team with solid offense while not forgetting their back end, really good pairing you have here with these 2.

2nd defense pairing: This reads as mainly a defensive 2nd pairing and looks to be your shutdown pairing. Ivanov brings a tinge of offense to an overall defensive games. He reads as a hard hitter as well which is good in a division like the 1 we're in. Thanks for the glove tip you made on the Mantha bio. I had him last year and over-rated him a little as a #1 pairing guy last year but I think he works great here. He'll provide your team with a really good defensive presence on the 2nd pairing.

3rd defense pairing: The classic offense/defense pairing is what this 1 is. Duschene is a guy I've always liked and I would like to draft him one of these days in an ATD, he'll be really good offensively for you guys. Joe Hall is the classic defensive defenseman and should cover up for any mistakes Duschene would make in his own end. Solid pairing.

Goalies: Benedict is in that 2nd tier of great goalies, so your #1 goalie is not an issue. On an un-related note I like that 1st photo you have of him on the bio. Lundqvist is currently the best goalie in the league, he's often been the #1 star on the Rangers and though he's took a step back this year he's still good as a backup here. Solid goaltending duo.

Special Teams: Really good 1st PP line, though I might have went with Perry on your 1st PP line and have a dominant PP line of Firsov-Sakic-Perry with Pilote and Duschene back on the point. Also Dick Duff should on the 2nd PP unit, also maybe sub Griffis in for Mantha. No comments on your PK other than that it looks solid.

Coaching: Never been sold on Bob Johnson's high placing in the order of ATD coaches, it's probably just me and I'm just going by his NHL success. He's a solid coach and all but it's just there are better coaches available IMO when he gets picked.

Overall Thoughts: Another solid entry in our division, a few tweaks here and there but other than that this club should be competitive, good job and good luck.

Old
03-30-2013, 05:25 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:

4th Line Forwards: This is more of a traditional rough and tumble 4th line. Bridgman was a guy I looked at when I picked Toews, just a really good player for this role. Handzuz seems like the prototypical ATD 4th liner and should help you keep leads late in games, I had Smyl last year, he's good in this role. It's going to struggle due to lack of offense but given it's a 4th line it may not play much.

1st Defensive Pairing: Jack Stewart's middle of the pack as far as #1 defensemen go but he still should be a solid #1, I expect him, Messier and Cook to terrorize a lot of teams. Seibert split a lot of time between forward and defense but still had a good career at defense to warrant selection here.

2nd Defensive Pairing: Popisil's another good 1. He should be a good 2 way presence for you guys and is one of the better 2nd pairing defenseman in this. Boivin's another hard hitter for you guys, I expect both guys to provide some hard hits for your team.

3rd Pairing: Another good pairing. Tikal seems like someone that would be believable on a 2nd pairing. Greschner's a really good guy on offense, I strongly contemplated picking him last year.

Goalies: On a team of tough guys it seems fitting Barasso's your goalie, as far as low end #1's go Barasso might be the best. Just don't have him speak to the media...LOL. Giacomin's usually one of the lower end #1's in this but for your team he's the backup and should be among the best backups in the league. Solid duo.

Coaching: This seems like Laviolette's type of team. He's been pretty succesful wherever he has gone and should be here as well. Fr. David Bauer is a good assistant.

Spares: Chapman should provide solid offense off the bench for you guys and will probably be called up if an injury occurs to Lindros. Kurtenbach provides defense and little else. Marotte provides a good 2 way game and seems to provide the toughness that the rest of your team has in spades.

Special Teams: Good to see Drillon on your 1st power play, that is the best way to use Drillon in a more prominent role. Rick Martin is one of your better goal scorers, I probably would have had him on the 1st power play line, also Ron Greschner is missing, I find that questionable. Your penalty kill has drawn criticism but I think it should be fine.

Overall: This is 1 scary team that's going to give a lot of clubs nightmares. That said you have to hope that your key players don't take stupid penalties thta would cost your team a game, best of luck to you guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I don't see how they can possible take Messier or Cook off the first PP though. They definitely have an abundance of PP riches up front, even if they don't really have a top PP QB.

And wow, good point about Greschner not on the PP. I almost think they'd be better off benching him in favor of a more two-way defenseman if they aren't going to use him on the PP at all.

- Thank You for the review Tony. I probably will have a quiet night-in tonight, too much vodka for me in the last few days, so I'll try to assasinate your team.

- Your pretty much spot on on my offence IMO. Of the little negative you say:
Eric Lindros: that's why we made sure to draft players that could replace him in case of injury. Obviously not ideal, but someone like Art Chapman, the brilliant playmaker, would still make our second line an offensively potent one, feeding passes to both Smith & Pitre.
- Alf Smith: although we have a bruising team for top to bottom, I believe we have players that can control themselves not put the team in jeopardy by taking stupid penalties. With that said, Alf Smith is probably the #1 guy on that team prone of taking those penalties. We have to take the negative with the positive I guess, as Smith is a brilliant glue guy, someone use on ATD 1st line moreover than not. He's an elite 3rd liner (like Gordie Drillon) and we believe teams lacking depth will have so much difficulty defending that 3rd wave of bruising, offensive line.
- 4th line: As we said before, we drafted our Top-9 quite early, because we're going to use them a lot. It's true that this 4th line is typical ATD 4th line that won't bring much more than grit and body presence, but that 4th line is probably going to be one of the least use of all drafts. We're not expecting much more than not making terrible mistakes the few ES shifts they gonna be given.

- Nothing to add on the defence, goaltending, spare & coaching. Spot on! (other than Giacomin IS the best backup in this draft )

- Special team: as TDMM answered, I have an abundance of strong offensive player, and although Rick Martin would be on the 1stPP on most teams, I cannot place him over Messier, Cook or Drillon. The 2nd PP is very strong, so the coach may decide to give them more time than most 2ndPP.
As for our penalty kill, it did draw criticism at first, and for a reason. That's the beauty of the assassination: people told us what was wrong with it, and we were able to make the necessary correction. It still not an elite one by any means, but selecting Michal Handzus that late in the draft was a coup IMO, and moving some pieces around made our PK a far better one.
- As for Ron Greschner: which player should he replace on the PP? Babe Siebert, Frantisek Pospisil? TDMM, you do have a valid point: although I think some poster overblow his ES insufficiency, his main strength rely on the PP. Gilles Marotte is definitely someone able to fill an ATD regular spot, and fits our team concept very well. It seems to be a waste to put Ron Greschner on the bench, but perhaps Marotte would bring more to the table at ES. Or we could trade Greschner for another PK specialist if anyone interested

Thank You very much Tony for the review. I'll try to hit you with a review later tonight (or read, in the next 10 hours)

Old
03-30-2013, 02:05 PM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Still going to draft another defenseman but got my forwards, goaltending and coaching all picked, any thoughts or comments:?

Baltimore Blades

Spares: Gerard Gallant, Alexander Almetov (C)

Tim Horton (A)-Jan Suchy
Steve Smith-Phil Russell

Spares: Doug Bodger

Roy Worters
Evgeni Nabokov

Special Teams:

Alright, never been that good into doing assasination, but I think Tony deserve one in here.

1st line: Bobby Clarke is a terrific #1 centre, that can do it all. He's flanked with Cy Denneny, a tremendous offensive player, and Rod Gilbert, who I find a bit overrated considering his draft position, but still a solid offensive player. The pieces mesh well together I think, it's a very good first line.

2nd line: Prototypical ATD line with the playmaking centre, the sharp shooting winger and the glue guy on the left side. Peter Bondra is a weak 2nd liner IMO, but Adam Oates is an elite 2nd line centre. Dean Prentice is a solid glue guy. That line works well.

3rd line: Sutter and Graham are prototypical 3rd line defensive player with great work ethics. JP Parise always striked me as a crash-and-bang forward more than a defensive player. Perhaps more suited to the 4th line. Still, that line should have success defending against opposing team top players.

4th line: Modern 4th line. Hejduk is a solid offensive contributor for a 4th line. Ryan Smyth act like the glue guy, while Jonathan Toews the playmaker that can do it all. The intangible of Jonathan Toews are through the roof, but I think his offensive is still fairly weak for the ATD. Toews is the kind of players you want come playoff time though.

F spare: Gerard Gallant is a good spare, no question. I'm a huge fan of Alexander Almetov, a guy I picked and research in the past. I'm surprise people doesn't pick him as a 4th line, PK specialist

1st D: Tim Horton is a solid, #1 two-way defenceman in this draft. The complete package. Jan Suchy is a fantastic all-around defenceman, a bit more offensive than defensive. A perfect pairing that works tremensously well together, I really like.

2nd D: Red Horner is a terrifying defenceman to play against, and a good #3 in this draft. Craig Hartsburg was a good defenceman when he was not injured. Not as impressive as your 1st pairing, but they should work well together.

3rd D: Not much to say. A typical ATD 3rd pairing. Steve Smith is definitely someone you like to play on a 3rd pairing.

Goaltending: Ah! If people would of realized how good was Worters when I drafted him a few drafts ago, I may have fare better in the 40-teams draft of a fw years back. He's s solid goaltender to have, that would be competitive in any situation. Evgeni Nabokov is an unspectacular backup, but Worters was known to play a lot, so it doesn't matter much

Coach: The hard-nose Pat Burns should work very well with that group of individual. We would of killed to have Bobby Clarke and Tim Horton as players.

PP: Not an overly impressive PP, but that what's happen when you draft D heavy (the other way of what les Nordiques did!) I like the composition of both PP unit though, especially the first one. Suchy and Bondra on the point should be fun to watch.

PK: Well the PP might not be impressive, but your PK group is fantastic. That 1st PK is elite to say the least. The 2nd is probably above average for a 2nd PK too.

A good entry, and a 'in the ATD mold' kind of teams (The one I usually build ). Good luck in this years draft!

Old
03-30-2013, 07:23 PM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Thanks very much EagleBelfour for the review. Nothing much to say other than that I think Bondra will work here paired with Adam Oates on the 2nd line.

Oh and as to Parise, wondering if I should switch him and Smyth? I think Smyth might be better on the 3rd line given his scoring skills. Parise might work better on the 4th line as he can battle to get the puck to Toews and Hejduk.

Last edited by tony d: 03-30-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old
03-31-2013, 11:59 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Thanks very much EagleBelfour for the review. Nothing much to say other than that I think Bondra will work here paired with Adam Oates on the 2nd line.

Oh and as to Parise, wondering if I should switch him and Smyth? I think Smyth might be better on the 3rd line given his scoring skills. Parise might work better on the 4th line as he can battle to get the puck to Toews and Hejduk.
- Don't get me wrong: Adam Oates and Peter Bondra will definitely mesh very well together. Actually, that whole line will work incredibly well together. My only 'concern', or let's say my only negative point, is that I think Peter Bondra is an extremely one-dimensional player: he score goals and nothing else. Very few players on an ATD Top-6 brings as less different skills as Bondra (some are offensive players only, but can also pass the puck, some are grittier, works the corner etc ....)

- It depends how much you will utilize your 4th line I would say. At equal ice-time, I think your 4th line will generate more offense than your third line. However, I believe Ryan Smyth is a better overall player than JP Parise, and someone I would like on the ice more often. If you use our 4th line a decent amount of time, I would keep it as it is. In the regular season, I could see the switch, but in the playoffs I would think you would like to increase a little bit the ice time of Jonathan Toews & Ryan Smyth. I'm on the fence on that one, it looks fine both ways I think.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:04 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Engine View Post
Yekaterinburg Automobilist

Coach: Bob Johnson
Captain: Joe Sakic
Assistants: Pierre Pilote, Trevor Linden

Jack Adams - Joe Sakic - Ace Bailey
Anatoly Firsov - Mike Modano - Trevor Linden
Dick Duff - Joel Otto - Johnny Peirson
Al Secord - Doug Weight - Corey Perry

Pierre Pilote - Si Griffis
Eduard Ivanov - Sylvio Mantha
Steve Duchesne - Joe Hall

Clint Benedict
Henrik Lundqvist

Spares:
Tom Anderson
Yevgeny Babich
Ray Ferraro
Dmitri Yushkevich

Powerplay
Pierre Pilote - Anatoly Firsov - Jack Adams - Joe Sakic - Steve Duchesne
Sylvio Mantha - Mike Modano - Corey Perry - Ace Bailey - Doug Weight

Penalty Kill
Joel Otto - Ace Bailey - Sylvio Mantha - Joe Hall
Joe Sakic - Trevor Linden - Pierre Pilote - Si Griffis

This team is built for speed, puck movement, and relentless two-way play.
Forwards

Your first line has all the elements you would want with a playmaker, defense, toughness, and shooters on the wing. The problem is that the wingers are really going to drag down this line. Both of them would be okay if they were a distant 3rd best player on the line with Sakic and a sniper on the other wing, but that's not the case. This line won't get the most out of Sakic's talents. Firsov and Modano is a nice way to start your 2nd line, but Linden sticks out as pretty weak, even for a glue guy. He has all the intangibles in spades, but his offense is really underwhelming. His VsX scores are 61, 65, 51, 57, 67, 52. His offense is going to drag down what is otherwise a nice start to a 2nd line. The 3rd line is a grind it out line with good, but not great two-way play. Peirson should chip in some offense, but the real value of this line will be its forechecking. The 4th line should be able to put up some points with Weight distributing and Perry/Secord crashing the net. They're going to be rather weak defensively though.

Overall, the forwards are lacking in firepower, especially with the top 6 wingers. Of the 4, only Firsov is "good" in the role he's at. Your top 9 brings some solid two-way play with 7 guys that I would call plus defensive players, which should be among the best in the draft. It will help to have a 4th line that can put up some points, but a lack of offense is still going to be a problem, which does not fit Bob Johnson's style at all, but more on that later.

Defense

Pilote is an above average #1, and Griffis about an average #3, making for an average top pairing because you decided to split your best two defensemen up(which I agree with). Mantha is a legit #2, but is on the lower end, and Ivanov is the same in terms of #4s. This pairing will be okay because Mantha's your #2, but in terms of where they stand among #2 defensemen and #4 defensemen, they are below average. Neither of them was particularly fast or a good skater, and could have trouble with speedy forwards. I think Joe Hall needs to get more minutes, he's a legit 2nd pairing guy. Problem is, the most likely candidate to drop to the 3rd pairing(Ivanov) doesn't really complement Duchesne well. You could bring Yushkevich into the lineup and scratch Ivanov, but then you're putting a #4 defenseman on the bench, which isn't a good idea. A very good 3rd pairing because Joe Hall doesn't really belong there, and Duchesne is a strong 3rd pairing puck mover. As a group, this is a strong defense. It has an above average #1, a below average #2, two below average #3s, a below average #4, and a strong #5.

Goaltending

Benedict is somewhere into the top 10 in goalies all time, so you'll have the advantage in most matchups here. Lundqvist is an excellent backup that I wanted to get as Fuhr's backup.

Coaching

Bob Johnson is a good coach, but I think he's starting to become a bit overrated around these parts. Just 6 seasons as an NHL coach(and whatever you give him for coaching at Wisconsin) in addition to a pretty good international career. He's known as a gung-ho, offensive coach. But you really don't have that roster here. His teams were about offense, and yours is about two-way play from the forwards. And your defense isn't going to do too much in terms of offense. They'll be okay, but aren't elite like you would expect for a Badger Bob team. I really don't see this being a great match.

PP

Your first PP unit looks good because you stacked it, and as a result the 2nd unit looks below average. It makes sense considering the emphasis you put on having two-way forwards. Corey Perry really doesn't belong on an ATD power play yet, and Bailey's offense is weak other than his 4 good years.

PK

Two very strong PK units here, this will definitely be a big strength for this team.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:39 PM
EagleBelfour

Funny you just posted a review of Johnny Engine's team, I was just going through the division and I have quite a few questions/comments about this team. Maybe Johnny or yourself could answer my inquiries.

- Is Jack Adams really good enough to play LW on a ATD first line? I understand he did play some wings in his career, but the bulk of his career was spent as a centre. I'm not totally buying Jack Adams as a LW, let alone on an ATD top line

- Si Griffis: I will agree that Si Griffis possess all the tools to be an excellent defender in the ATD, and don't get me wrong, I think he's a definite Top-4 defenceman in this draft. However, I remember Johnny was very excited selecting him in the late in the 220's, and reading the biography on Griffis, I'm trying to figure what accomplishment makes Griffis warrant a selection that high, not the skills. But again, as I'm writing this down, I'm trying to figure what someone like Elmer Vasko, who was drafted almost a round over Griffis, do possess over Griffis.

- For the love of god, Johnny, I beg you, switch Anatoly Firsov with Jack Adams. I am one of the biggest fan of Firsov, he brings so much to the table. An incredible offensive player, a fantastic goalscorer who can pass as well, competent defensively, not a big hitter, but can protect himself and the puck very well. Him and Joe Sakic is two-third of a fantastic 1st line (Sakic is borderline top-10 C of All-Time, Firsov easily in the top-10, by my count #6) and they would work magic together. Ace Bailey would be far less on an eye-sore, playing with those two. None of those three players are soft, so I don't think you NEED a rough player like Adams to protect them.

- I would also switch Trevor Linden with Johnny Peirson, no question. Johnny Peirson, imo, is not a two-way player, like some teams like to use him, but an offensive player with competent defensive skills. On the defensive side of the ice, Linden & Peirson are just as good IMO. What Peirson do have on Linden is offensive abilities, a much better O player that should create more chances than Linden. Trevor Linden is not a defensive dynamo, but he would do anything to help that 3rd line out.

Anatoly Firsov - Joe Sakic - Ace Bailey
Jack Adams - Mike Modano - Johnny Peirson
Dick Duff - Joel Otto - Trevor Linden

looks much better IMO.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:28 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Lineup change for the Blades:

Ryan Smyth-Brent Sutter-Dirk Graham
J.P. Parise-Jonathan Toews-Milan Hejduk

Spares: Gerard Gallant, Alexander Almetov

Tim Horton (A)-Jan Suchy
Steve Smith-Phil Russell

Spares: Doug Bodger, Dave Langevin

Roy Worters
Evgeni Nabokov

Special Teams:

PP 2: Ryan Smyth-Bobby Clarke-Milan Hejduk-Craig Hartsburg-Tim Horton

Last edited by tony d: 04-02-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old
04-02-2013, 02:01 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Lineup change for the Blades:

Ryan Smyth-Brent Sutter-Dirk Graham
J.P. Parise-Jonathan Toews-Milan Hejduk

Spares: Gerard Gallant, Alexander Almetov (C)

Tim Horton (A)-Jan Suchy
Steve Smith-Phil Russell

Spares: Doug Bodger

Roy Worters
Evgeni Nabokov

Special Teams:

See what others think, but I would consider replacing Prentice with Smythe on the second PP. Prentice was definitely a better overall player, but getting goals in tight on the PP was really Smythe's biggest skill.

Old
04-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
See what others think, but I would consider replacing Prentice with Smythe on the second PP. Prentice was definitely a better overall player, but getting goals in tight on the PP was really Smythe's biggest skill.
Definitely. There isn't much reason to draft Ryan Smyth unless you want to put him in front of the net on a 2nd PP.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 03:37 PM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Hey guys: I was actually contemplating doing that with Smyth anyway but was waiting to see if anyone else said anything, I'll make the switch now. Thank you both for your suggestion.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:40 PM
overpass

Quote:
Everyone, your Baltimore Blades Roster for 2013:

Baltimore Blades

Spares:Gerard Gallant (LW), Alexander Almetov (C)

Tim Horton (A)-Jan Suchy
Steve Smith-Phil Russell
Spares: Doug Bodger (D), Dave Langevin (D)

Roy Worters
Evgeni Nabokov

Special Teams:

Denneny-Clarke-Gilbert is an excellent first line. Clarke will play hard all over the ice and set the tone, and he has a pair of skilled wingers to work with. If Pat Burns liked having Doug Gilmour leading his team in the early 90s, he'll love Bobby Clarke.

Prentice-Oates-Bondra should work well for a second line. Oates liked to pass, Bondra liked to score. Prentice can do everything else. Despite Prentice's checking abilities and Oates' responsible defensive play, I think this line is average defensively at most. Bondra was a negative in that area, Oates had skating as a weakness, and Prentice wasn't that good to make it up. Not a big deal - it's a second line.

Parise-Sutter-Graham is a really tough, hard-working group. Not elite defensively, but good defensively and hard working. They won't contribute much offensively at this level.

Smyth-Toews-Hejduk is more of a scoring fourth line, but Smyth and Toews have been good two-way players as well.

Overall it's a strong group of forwards. The top two lines will carry the scoring load, but every line seems to work on its own and also fill a role.

Horton-Suchy is an interesting top pairing. Good balance of offense and defense. Horton may have to play more of a stay at home role here.

Horton may end up having to come to Bobby Clarke's rescue more than he'd prefer, by the way. I don't see many fighters among the forwards, and Red Horner won't always be on the ice.

Hartsburg-Horner is fine. The skilled, injury-prone Hartsburg will be protected by the tough, penalty-prone Horner.

Steve Smith and Phil Russell form a solid bottom pairing. Nothing exciting here, at least Pat Burns hopes so.

Hartsburg is injury-prone enough that Bodger or Langevin will probably get into a few

Worters gets more love each draft, and probably deserves it. Can a 5'3" goaltender win the ATD? We'll see.

The PP and PK are both well-constructed given the roster. The first PP unit should run through Adam Oates and his playmaking, with four other skilled players who can score (and three who can pass ). Similarly, the second unit should run through Bobby Clarke. On the PK, Clarke is a great piece to have.

But overall I think the team will be stronger at even strength than on special teams. Neither special teams unit stands out with any high-end players, except for maybe Clarke on the PK. Burns was a fine coach but is average at this level. Worters isn't going to make a penalty kill on his own. Actually, now that I think of it, your team has one strength on special teams - strong face-off skills from all centres.

Strong, well balanced entry overall, Tony.

overpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:43 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
Denneny-Clarke-Gilbert is an excellent first line. Clarke will play hard all over the ice and set the tone, and he has a pair of skilled wingers to work with. If Pat Burns liked having Doug Gilmour leading his team in the early 90s, he'll love Bobby Clarke.

Prentice-Oates-Bondra should work well for a second line. Oates liked to pass, Bondra liked to score. Prentice can do everything else. Despite Prentice's checking abilities and Oates' responsible defensive play, I think this line is average defensively at most. Bondra was a negative in that area, Oates had skating as a weakness, and Prentice wasn't that good to make it up. Not a big deal - it's a second line.

Parise-Sutter-Graham is a really tough, hard-working group. Not elite defensively, but good defensively and hard working. They won't contribute much offensively at this level.

Smyth-Toews-Hejduk is more of a scoring fourth line, but Smyth and Toews have been good two-way players as well.

Overall it's a strong group of forwards. The top two lines will carry the scoring load, but every line seems to work on its own and also fill a role.

Horton-Suchy is an interesting top pairing. Good balance of offense and defense. Horton may have to play more of a stay at home role here.

Horton may end up having to come to Bobby Clarke's rescue more than he'd prefer, by the way. I don't see many fighters among the forwards, and Red Horner won't always be on the ice.

Hartsburg-Horner is fine. The skilled, injury-prone Hartsburg will be protected by the tough, penalty-prone Horner.

Steve Smith and Phil Russell form a solid bottom pairing. Nothing exciting here, at least Pat Burns hopes so.

Hartsburg is injury-prone enough that Bodger or Langevin will probably get into a few

Worters gets more love each draft, and probably deserves it. Can a 5'3" goaltender win the ATD? We'll see.

The PP and PK are both well-constructed given the roster. The first PP unit should run through Adam Oates and his playmaking, with four other skilled players who can score (and three who can pass ). Similarly, the second unit should run through Bobby Clarke. On the PK, Clarke is a great piece to have.

But overall I think the team will be stronger at even strength than on special teams. Neither special teams unit stands out with any high-end players, except for maybe Clarke on the PK. Burns was a fine coach but is average at this level. Worters isn't going to make a penalty kill on his own. Actually, now that I think of it, your team has one strength on special teams - strong face-off skills from all centres.

Strong, well balanced entry overall, Tony.
Many thanks for the review, overpass, I'll review yours later the week. You mentioned something about the team not having many fighters, was wondering if I should switch Gallant and Parise. The more I think about it the more I regret picking J.P. Parise but if he's on my bench he'll be fine I think. Anyone wishing to chime in on this can let me know.