HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXIII: "This Space Available"

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2013, 07:51 PM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
Yes, 'Rover' is waiting to collect the next 'potential' owner.

Here is Rover in action... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Ffr1U7KMY

Be seeing you!

P.S. If you want to see and hear it all, try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY9oWfkKt6A
You guys are incredible posters.

Once this comes to an end (maybe wishfull thinking) I'll miss these megathreads.

Old
04-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
Yes, 'Rover' is waiting to collect the next 'potential' owner....Be seeing you!
Yes, and the salute that goes with it (thumb & forefinger "fisheye") is actually an old Christian Salute (Sign of the Fish) according to Patrick McGoohan who stated such in an interview... #2 here at hfBoards?... Fugu. Porcupine Fish of the genus Diodon.

Old
04-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
I am a free man.
We're all free, 'cause we all have wings
But some of us don't know why...

Old
04-01-2013, 08:49 PM
aqib

Quote:

Sooo... 10 days, 2 weeks....
No I mean one week from now once this 3 game home stand is over, IF they go 0-3 and its too much of a long shot for them to make the playoffs you may start seeing movement.

Old
04-01-2013, 08:50 PM
JimAnchower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
While they are only 3 points out they are in a tailspin. So if they blow this homestand its hard to imagine they will get back into the mix. Thats why I said, its possible after this week we may hear something.
The biggest problem isn't the number of points between Phoenix and eighth, but the number of teams. Just to get to eighth, Phoenix has to jump over five teams. And there are teams ahead of the Coyotes who have played less games than them. Only Columbus has played more. The Coyotes could turn it around, but they have to also hope the teams in front of them don't improve, and that's almost impossible if those teams play each other. In that situation, you only gain ground on one team.

Old
04-01-2013, 08:55 PM
Llama19

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
Name suggestion for next thread "The picture of Coyote Gray"
Phoenix LXXIV: 50 Shades of Coyote Gray

Last edited by Llama19: 04-01-2013 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Wrong Roman
Old
04-01-2013, 09:08 PM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post

We're all free, 'cause we all have wings
But some of us don't know why...
That was a little in excess...

I'm actually getting a little excited, here. It seems like this might just be the year that there is an actual palpable end to this affair. Finally.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:20 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
No I mean one week from now once this 3 game home stand is over, IF they go 0-3 and its too much of a long shot for them to make the playoffs you may start seeing movement.
I havent really been following their on ice exploits but what are their chances of pulling it together, making it into the first round?... not that Im looking to discuss team issues at length but more how if they do get in it might affect issues of timing, contracts moving forward, whether they stay put for another year or move, and when.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfoot View Post
That was a little in excess...
Very clever... almost choked to death... err.... when I read that like.... well, guess I got about 15 minutes to kill before Room Service arrives... oh, what to do what to do...

Old
04-01-2013, 09:50 PM
aqib

Quote:
I havent really been following their on ice exploits but what are their chances of pulling it together, making it into the first round?... not that Im looking to discuss team issues at length but more how if they do get in it might affect issues of timing, contracts moving forward, whether they stay put for another year or move, and when.
They are 13th in the west but only 4 points out, but the current 8th seed (St Louis) has played one fewer game. So yes they can get hot and sneak in but they are 2-5-3 in the last 10. So if the cold spell continues through the next three games its had to imagine them turning things around with 7 out of the last 10 on the road.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:20 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
They are 13h... So if the cold spell continues through the next three games its had to imagine them turning things around with 7 out of the last 10 on the road.
Thanks. I did a quick search as well; games against LA, Detroit, Colorado & San Jose'. And ya, at 2-5-3 last 10.... well, I guess we'll find out soon enough but sure thing, up-hill battle on that front so they could be done come the end of the regular season.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:30 PM
Llama19

Quote:
Thanks. I did a quick search as well; games against LA, Detroit, Colorado & San Jose'. And ya, at 2-5-3 last 10.... well, I guess we'll find out soon enough but sure thing, up-hill battle on that front so they could be done come the end of the regular season.
Slightly off topic, a certain unnamed website has the odds at 8.3% that the Coyotes make the playoffs.

I don't believe the odds are any better in the finding a 'potential' local owner, either.

Be seeing you!

Old
04-02-2013, 12:25 AM
Glacial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
http://www.boarding-school-hockey.co...new-owner.html

I love April Fools!

''In a stunning move the NHL announced today that film mogul Alan Smithee has purchased the Phoenix Coyotes for an estimated 170 Million.

Gary Bettman made the announcement that Smithee had come forward late last week and made an offer on the team which the NHL has owned since bankruptcy in 2009

The City of Glendale has to aprove a new lease but that is thought to be a formality. Smithee will get 16 million a season from the city to manage the arena, all parking and concessions plus the first born of every Glendale resident that he will then sacrifice to Cthulhu.

Smithee plans to have different players each game read from the Necronomicon with hopes of summoning the Dark Lord.

Coyotes Captain Shane Doan was optimistic about the idea of a new owner for the team even though it will usher in a thousand years of darkness for mankind.

"What's important is that the team stays in Arizona. Sure we will have higher taxes, no social services and will be under dominion of a mythical being who will drive us all to madness but I think thats a small price to pay to keep hockey in the desert."

Smithee also got an escape clause in the case that the team isn't profitable.

"We need this club to make money at some point. Even with all the power of the Dark One we cannot lose upwards of 30 million a season" said Smithee. "After 5 years if we don't start making back some of our investment we will look at re-locating the team to The Nameless City."

When asked about the escape clause NHL Commisoner Gary Bettman had this to say.

"While it is our hope we can keep the team in Glendale at some point we may have to move them to the Nameless City. Sure its in another dimension and has no hockey fans but its still better than Atlanta." ''

Something in here has got to be the next thread title, or some variation therein. Glendale Necronomicon? The Yellow Brick Road to The Nameless City? Still Better Than Atlanta? A Thousand Years of Darkness?, No, maybe Seventy-Four Topics of Darkness? Or Page 74 of the Necronomicon?

Old
04-02-2013, 01:30 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
Something in here has got to be the next thread title, or some variation therein. Glendale Necronomicon?
Interesting. So the Necronomicon's turned up in Glendale has it? The one purportedly written by the Mad Arab Abdul Alhazred but in fact co-authored by HP Lovecraft & Aleister Crowley yes? Familiar with it. Only 5 copies known to exist. The Most Dangerous Black Book Known To The Western World. You think Bettman and Daly, the NHL BOG's may have obtained a copy of this Grimoire themselves?. Thats a beyond scary thought. Lookit what Johnny Depp went through in that documentary called the Ninth Gate? And all over some stupid set of 5 books... none of which even exists.... least ways not on this earthly plain and dimension they dont. You just dont mess with $%@# like that, but tell ya what? It sure does explain everything.

Old
04-02-2013, 07:10 AM
JMT21

Any truth to the rumor that Le Colisee has cancelled all tentatively booked events between Sept. 15th and December 31st?

Old
04-02-2013, 07:23 AM
JimAnchower

Given that the NHL has used Coyotes home games in the past as a platform to tell the world of "positive" news, should we expect a news conference tonight or Thursday night to announce a new owner has purchased the Coyotes "pending an acceptable agreement with the COG"?

Old
04-02-2013, 08:01 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllByDesign View Post
There will be an announcement. In all likelihood it will be at the very last possible moment as to not disrupt any ticket sales.

I am sure all the decisions and destinations have been solidified. Myths will become rumours, rumours will become leads, and leads will become headlines.

If you are a Coyotes fan, I hardly think you wouldn't be treating the last few games as a farewell tour.
i think announcing the move before the final few games in glendale would actually increase ticket sales by bringing out the mild supporters and morbidly curious.

that said though, a couple extra thousand at $35 or $45 wouldn't really amount to much more revenues when all is considered, and I could understand bettman wanting to just forfeit those few dollars in order to avoid the drama and horrendous press.

bettman has to know right now what will happen to this team. i simply cannot imagine any set of circumstances that would legitimately result in him obtaining any additional information over the next few weeks that would affect the decision.

regardless, would be a very mean thing to do to the fans, the players and team staff to not allow a proper send-off in the arena.

Last edited by Major4Boarding: 04-02-2013 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Edit to an edit
Old
04-02-2013, 08:30 AM
Llama19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAnchower View Post
Given that the NHL has used Coyotes home games in the past as a platform to tell the world of "positive" news, should we expect a news conference tonight or Thursday night to announce a new owner has purchased the Coyotes "pending an acceptable agreement with the COG"?
Possible announcement on 'tax' day, April 15, because that is the only way this team stays, by taxing us residents.

It is also Kids Free Monday, you know, it is always about the kids...

Be seeing you!

Old
04-02-2013, 09:39 AM
NHLfan4life
Who is PKP???

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllByDesign View Post
There will be an announcement. In all likelihood it will be at the very last possible moment as to not disrupt any ticket sales.

I am sure all the decisions and destinations have been solidified. Myths will become rumours, rumours will become leads, and leads will become headlines.

If you are a Coyotes fan, I hardly think you wouldn't be treating the last few games as a farewell tour.
Well, I am not. I've been down this road the last few years so nothing seems final. I don't think it's denial but I've stopped thinking my attendance will make a difference. I've realized a long time ago that only the NHL is in charge here. I renewed my season tickets so I've done what I can if that is anything at all.

My Coyotes have survived when people said they were done. Still games left to play, I will be at every single home game not to say farewell but to hope for another deep run into the playoffs.

I don't care to know French but I'm sure there is a saying "Whatever will be will be".

Last edited by Major4Boarding: 04-02-2013 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Edit to an edit
Old
04-02-2013, 09:58 AM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLfan4life View Post
Well, I am not. I've been down this road the last few years so nothing seems final. I don't think it's denial but I've stopped thinking my attendance will make a difference. I've realized a long time ago that only the NHL is in charge here. I renewed my season tickets so I've done what I can if that is anything at all.

My Coyotes have survived when people said they were done. Still games left to play, I will be at every single home game not to say farewell but to hope for another deep run into the playoffs.

I don't care to know French but I'm sure there is a saying "Whatever will be will be".

I know it aint 'que sera sera', cuz that's like, an English phrase in a Spanish format

I can't speak a lick of French beyond voulez-vous coucher avec moi, and champagne

Old
04-02-2013, 10:02 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLfan4life View Post

Ce qui arrivera arrivera

Old
04-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesreign View Post
I know it aint 'que sera sera', cuz that's like, an English phrase in a Spanish format
Ce qui sera sera.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:36 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesreign View Post

I can't speak a lick of French beyond voulez-vous coucher avec moi, and champagne
Quote:
Originally Posted by QcBlizzard View Post
Ce qui arrivera arrivera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Ce qui sera sera.
... and to think, shane was scared about learning a second language. ... easy peasy

pitou, pitou, donnes-moi le poulet.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:08 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

I can't wait for news from Pastor. He met Glendale yesterday right?

Old
04-02-2013, 11:48 AM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

No news from yesterday's meeting thus far.

However, today's CoG agenda has Tindall's severance discussion (special meeting) and regular Workshop meeting to discuss:

* Fire Dept Budget and baseline service levels

* Police Dept Budget and baseline service levels

Executive Session... we all know what's being discussed in that one, right?

Last nite was their first of two public meetings this week (next one Thurs) regarding the budget process. The remaining Budget Workshop schedule is April 9th and 16th.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:36 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

So... Anything new??? I mean REALLY new.

Closed Thread