HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

April 3rd Deadline Approaching

Old
04-02-2013, 08:58 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtrickhayOrnqvistpay View Post
Can we even trade Hannan since he's on IR? My preference would be to unload Gill and Gaustad and move forward.
Yes, see Lombardi....

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:38 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
Need is and continues to be a top 4 d-man to play with Klein. When healthy, the forwards are capable. If we added a forward, the only thing that would really make a difference would be a true top 3 forward.
triming is everything. I think if we had been in a position to be buyers this year we might have taken a run at J-Bo. that would have solved that problem

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:49 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by utkpred View Post
We're a bonafide scorer away from contending
I don't know about that, but another good scorer would probably put us in the playoffs. Erat, Hornqvist, Wilson, and now Fisher have all missed some length of time or have been hampered by injuries, and, over an 82 game season, we would still be in a great position to make the playoffs with a strong second-half surge. Adding a high-caliber offensive player to the mix would certainly be a huge help, especially at center, where he would produce more favorable match-ups for Fisher and Legwand.

Unfortunately, our options are limited in acquiring one such player. We can sign Ribeiro or Roy in the off-season (assuming either of them makes it to the off-season). If we fall out of the playoffs, we can draft one. Monahan or Lindholm could be available at 10 (which is where we are as things stand). Or we can fork over assets to pry someone out of another city. We do need to make a commitment to winning games; ownership has talked a lot of big talk, and they presumably have given Poile the resources to go out and make us a consistent contender. He needs to act with those resources, even if it means getting a little reckless (although reckless for David Poile is ordering a hot dog with two types of relish).

But this isn't simply an offense problem; our defense has been better, and Rinne has not been as consistent as in years past. (I think this is an anomaly of the lockout, personally, and he will be much better in the fall.) Let's get what we can for whoever we can deal without completely tearing the team apart, whatever happens the rest of the way happens, then we start looking for a major offensive piece in the summer.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:51 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Actually, we only need the guys we have on the roster to start playing up to potential (i.e. Fisher, Legwand, SK, Erat, etc), and we'll be a contender. Those guys were the backbone of the offense we had last year.

If those guys keep playing like bums, then it won't matter who we sign.

I guess we'll find out next year whether this year was the aberration or last year's #1 PP and #8 GF was.

Although it would be nice to get Ribero to play in the middle of the 1st line.
While I agree to an extent, what the Preds lack is a leader up front that they can look to to shoulder the offense from time to time and be a catalyst for the rest of the forwards to feed off of. What we have now is a group of complimentary players being asked on a nightly basis who is going to jump up and lead? Bringing in a proven offensive player would not only bring in his share of goals, but also bring out more goals from the rest of the team by trickle down effect putting players into better positions for them to succeed and creating better matchups for our complimentary players to compliment...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:50 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I think the simple fact is that we're starting to feel Suter's loss, particularly at ES and on the PK. Josi's filled in admirably, but his defensive game is starting to lapse(while his offensive game looks better and better each night).

Ideally, Josi would be playing with Klein right now, Bartley would be with Blum or Gill on the third pairing, and we'd have someone a little more capable absorbing big minutes with Weber, at least in the short-term...but..it doesn't make sense in this shortened\not going to make the playoffs season.

A true number 4 d-man would be at the top of my shopping list this summer, if I were David Poile..one that could either slot up to play with Weber when Josi was struggling...or play day to day with Klein.

Robidas, Streit, even Rusty Klesla...there are a couple of intriguing options out there.

But I do believe that if the defense isn't addressed, and we go into next season with more or less the same group(minus Hannan and plus OKT) that you're not going to see wildly different results.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 12:06 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Lord...players are flying all over the place! Poile's alarm better go off soon...

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 12:11 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Lord...players are flying all over the place! Poile's alarm better go off soon...
fax machine jammed. He is working on it I am sure

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Roy, Bouwmeester, Regehr, Jagr, Iginla, MA Bergeron, and Handzus.

Not a bad start, not bad at all.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 12:32 PM
token grinder

I really really really hope the streak of Jay bowmeester missing the playoffs continues.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 12:34 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Appears to be a buyers market so far as well. Predicted that one wrong...

Old
04-02-2013, 12:39 PM
Predatorbill

Looks like we are waiting until after tonight's game, when there will be nobody to sell to, or nobody to buy from.

Predatorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 12:40 PM
alexmanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Appears to be a buyers market so far as well. Predicted that one wrong...
I hope Poile is realizing that we should be in sell mode right now.

alexmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 12:52 PM
drwpreds

So, if we had made the exact moves that Dallas has done (3 trades) and got back exactly what they got back, would you be happy with it??

I personally would not- overall I donít like the return they got, although I guess maybe itís the best they could have done.

Iím all for selling, but only for the right return- not just selling for the sake of selling.

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 12:58 PM
Predatorbill

A lot of the first round and second round picks have been traded, what would we get in return.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:59 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
So, if we had made the exact moves that Dallas has done (3 trades) and got back exactly what they got back, would you be happy with it??

I personally would not- overall I don’t like the return they got, although I guess maybe it’s the best they could have done.

I’m all for selling, but only for the right return- not just selling for the sake of selling.
Depends. If SK or Hannan can get a mid pick and mid prospect like the others, I'm for it. Not for Leggy. Probably not for Hali or Spals.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:05 PM
Predatorbill

If we sell I want 1rst and 2nd round picks.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:06 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatorbill View Post
Doesn't look like that's happening.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:07 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatorbill View Post
Me too - I just don't see it happening though. I think Poile makes no moves of consequence this deadline.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Predatorbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preddownsouth View Post
Me too - I just don't see it happening though. I think Poile makes no moves of consequence this deadline.

Agree, we are going to stand pat. We have some d-men that could be traded.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:24 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

FYI...Cooper will have a chat in 40 mins.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:52 PM
INDhockeyfan

We don't have much that is worth much at the deadline. It would be different if we had some decent UFA's to unload but we don't. I'm sure Poile would like to unload Hannan if anyone would have him but being injured and playing horrid this season doesn't have his trade value very high. Gill still has a year left and unless we could get a 1st or 2nd for him there is no point in trading him. We'd have better luck in the off season with the cap going down and teams needing to shed salary.

INDhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 01:58 PM
braindead

We can't be buyers unless it is for next year and beyond.

As sellers, I expect Gill and, if anyone wants him, Hannan to be gone this time tomorrow. SK and Blum tomorrow or in the offseason. Any one of Mueller, Hali, Yip could be had relatively cheaply if anyone needs a spare part.

I think Gaustad and Ellis are the only other remotely possible trades and would bring back a pleasing return to us or it won't happen.

Next year Poile won't make the mistake of trying to find a cheap 4th d-man (Hannan) and will pay up for a decent top 4, which should largely solidify the defense.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 02:54 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

any team want scott hannan?
paul gaustad?
we'll throw in richard clune for free.

we'll pay you draft picks.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 02:56 PM
deanwormer

Based on performance to date, I don't think there's any way Poile gets a top 4 Dman for next year - I suspect we'll see Bartley manning that spot. If we were making a run this year sure, but next year we still have 7 of the 8 we have now - hannan the only sure one gone. I'd expect to try to deal Blum or Ellis in the offseason, but for a forward.

Moving Gill would obviously change that, but we can use him next year on 3rd pair and as PK guy - unless someone is desperate for that role this year and willing to give up a 1st why would you do that now?

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 03:11 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
Based on performance to date, I don't think there's any way Poile gets a top 4 Dman for next year - I suspect we'll see Bartley manning that spot. If we were making a run this year sure, but next year we still have 7 of the 8 we have now - hannan the only sure one gone. I'd expect to try to deal Blum or Ellis in the offseason, but for a forward.

Moving Gill would obviously change that, but we can use him next year on 3rd pair and as PK guy - unless someone is desperate for that role this year and willing to give up a 1st why would you do that now?
Then don't be surprised when the results aren't all that different next season.

Bartley is an okay band-aid, but he's not a long-term answer as a 22 minute per night defenseman.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote