HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WOW: Dubey with a .922 save ptg is tied for 7th

Old
04-02-2013, 12:38 PM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
hahahahahaha so now his numbers are inflated because he sucks.

what a joke.
Any comments on his stickhandling and rebound control? Roli never had a save percentage over .915 as an Oiler. His stickhandling was top notch, hence fewer shots.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 01:01 PM
oilexport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
Any comments on his stickhandling and rebound control? Roli never had a save percentage over .915 as an Oiler. His stickhandling was top notch, hence fewer shots.
rebound and recovery saves are harder to make especially when your D is weak. The sav % and Gaa go down. If Dubnyk is bad at this it would not have helped his numbers.

oilexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Koto

Quote:
roli didnt have 1-4 AHL defencemen in the lineup every night either.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 01:09 PM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilexport View Post
rebound and recovery saves are harder to make especially when your D is weak. The sav % and Gaa go down. If Dubnyk is bad at this it would not have helped his numbers.
But I thought the high GAA (2.52) was a team stat and not on Dubnyk.

The silence on the stickhandling speaks volumes.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:11 PM
Koto

Quote:

i would say GAA is a team stat (goalie included)

and yeah, he does suck at stickhandling, i don't care.

he has the 7th GAA in the league. be happy, hes a legitimate starter, sorry we can't have brodeur in his prime.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:19 PM
McClelland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Clearly, I mean all it's telling me is that he's giving them a chance to win every night.

Devan Dubnyk has been everything this team has needed, consistent, confident goaltending on a nightly basis.
So you suggest that hes the 7th best goalie in the leuage?
I think dubie will be great eventually, but from there to reach Lundqvist or Brodeur level and carry a team to finals and playoffs with a mediocer core are a huge step.

Dubie has let in some easy goals and also looked shaky some games(cant blame the D every game).
He has also won us some games, but sv% doesnt says where the shot is coming from and how his rebound control works. would be more intresting to see how many scoringchanches he has saved, had given us a better picture.

I was one of the first to defending dubie when he had a stretch of less good games, and i now that it takes time to grown into a no 1 goalie, but with goalies, nothing is a sure thing.

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
So you suggest that hes the 7th best goalie in the leuage?
I think dubie will be great eventually, but from there to reach Lundqvist or Brodeur level and carry a team to finals and playoffs with a mediocer core are a huge step.

Dubie has let in some easy goals and also looked shaky some games(cant blame the D every game).
He has also won us some games, but sv% doesnt says where the shot is coming from and how his rebound control works. would be more intresting to see how many scoringchanches he has saved, had given us a better picture.

I was one of the first to defending dubie when he had a stretch of less good games, and i now that it takes time to grown into a no 1 goalie, but with goalies, nothing is a sure thing.
not really, but hes damn straight a legit #1.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

I've been saying all year that Dubnyk is a good goalie and it would be much more obvious when the Oilers start playing a little better in front of him.....yep....

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 01:25 PM
oilexport

Quote:

I agree but so is the Sav % somewhat as the rebounds can kill this stat with bad D and Goalie deflection on initial shot. We have seen better then average rebound saves due to his size and good position/recovery.

His stickhandling is average at best but it does not make or break a Goalie. I will say because of his reach that he can poke a lot more pucks away then most others, if he develops better stick.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:30 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:

No, it's because you're you're vastly over hyping the importance of his stick handling.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Stickhandling lol. Sorry Dubnyk, we need a goalie that can also lead the rush. Take a seat bud.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Section337

I agree the most dangerous place for a puck is in his feet, which is why I like to see an increased willingness just to freeze the puck. D-men are also going to the puck instead of trusting him to get it to them like they were doing earlier in the year, that was a horror show.

The other area where I would give him credit is on the PK, he stacks up real well with goalies in the rest of the league and is the best penalty killer on our team.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 01:33 PM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I agree but so is the Sav % somewhat as the rebounds can kill this stat with bad D and Goalie deflection on initial shot. We have seen better then average rebound saves due to his size and good position/recovery.

His stickhandling is average at best but it does not make or break a Goalie. I will say because of his reach that he can poke a lot more pucks away then most others, if he develops better stick.
His size makes up for the poor rebounds and leads to the high save percentage.

You are being generous in your assessment of his stickhandling. It is another piece of the puzzle that will keep Dubnyk as a middle of the pack starter in this league. I can't see much further development from Dubnyk going forward.

If people are happy with an 11th to 15th starter in this league so be it. He is no better than that and doesn't have much upside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
No, it's because you're you're vastly over hyping the importance of his stick handling.
Look back at Roli in his time with the Oilers. A goalie that can stick handle well cuts down on shots and can help create offensive chances. Khabi does this as well, albeit not as well as Roli did.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:36 PM
Koto

Quote:

You are being generous in your assessment of his stickhandling. It is another piece of the puzzle that will keep Dubnyk as a middle of the pack starter in this league. I can't see much further development from Dubnyk going forward.

If people are happy with an 11th to 15th starter in this league so be it. He is no better than that and doesn't have much upside.

Look back at Roli in his time with the Oilers. A goalie that can stick handle well cuts down on shots and can help create offensive chances. Khabi does this as well, albeit not as well as Roli did.
woe is us to have a top-15 starter in the league.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:36 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Lets say he is forever 11th to 15th. Is that bad? What is your suggestion as to getting a goalie who is top 10 and fits in the Oilers cap going forward?

Old
04-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

The problem is people don't know what they want/need, but they have an expectation, that expectation however isn't realistic.

Devan Dubnyk doesn't have to be perfect, he doesn't have to carry this team or win them games. He needs to Give this team a chance to win, and that's what he does.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 01:44 PM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
Lets say he is forever 11th to 15th. Is that bad? What is your suggestion as to getting a goalie who is top 10 and fits in the Oilers cap going forward?
There are obviously no guarantees. Dubie is signed next year and brings no decent trade value. So I think bring someone who can push Dubie. A Ben Bishop perhaps? Clearly not an upgrade at this point, but he might provide some competition. Sign him on a two-year deal at reasonable money.

Going in a different direction, Luongo being bought out is looking more and more likely. Five years, $5M a year. A little low on salary and term but I think he'd jump at the chance to eff the Canucks in their division and show them that he should have been the choice. Gotta move Dubie's salary to make this work, but if he's as good as everyone here thinks it should be doable.

As for cap room, conventional wisdom on this site appears to be that Horcoff is not getting bought out over the summer. That blows me away if anyone is serious about cap room. Getting rid of Horcs (and maybe N. Schultz) creates a ton of room for signings, including the possibility of a goalie.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:52 PM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
The Oilers will have no cap space in two years or sooner. Even with Horcoff earning less we will have 6 guys using up $36 million and thats if Yak, Nuge and Gagner average $6mil.. And that only includes one defense. Add Dubnyk at 3.5 Smid at 3.5 Petry at 3.5 Horcoff at 2.5 Total $49 million dollars (this doesn't include Hemsky Whitney N Shultz Jones or even Pjaarvi) and we still need

6 forwards (hopefully Pjaarvi and Jones)
3 defense (hopefully N Schultz [yes, N Schultz])
1 goalie or backup
1 spare player

Makes things tight.

fuswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 01:55 PM
The Big Unit

I'm not sold on Dubnyk yet. Yes he's played well the last few games and deserves credit for that but until he shows himself capable of eliminating the bad goal he'll still be suspect imo. I realize many of you posters are all rah rah Dubnyk right now but that only lasts till his next bad game. I'm not saying he sucks, and have never said he sucks. I just believe we're capable of finding somebody better.

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 01:58 PM
oilexport

Quote:
There are obviously no guarantees. Dubie is signed next year and brings no decent trade value. So I think bring someone who can push Dubie. A Ben Bishop perhaps? Clearly not an upgrade at this point, but he might provide some competition. Sign him on a two-year deal at reasonable money.

Going in a different direction, Luongo being bought out is looking more and more likely. Five years, $5M a year. A little low on salary and term but I think he'd jump at the chance to eff the Canucks in their division and show them that he should have been the choice. Gotta move Dubie's salary to make this work, but if he's as good as everyone here thinks it should be doable.

As for cap room, conventional wisdom on this site appears to be that Horcoff is not getting bought out over the summer. That blows me away if anyone is serious about cap room. Getting rid of Horcs (and maybe N. Schultz) creates a ton of room for signings, including the possibility of a goalie.
I will agree on bringing in another Goalie to compliment Dub as he is not a superstar and we need to develop one cause it can make up for a lot, it's a huge position. Unless ya get lucky and find a Kipper as third string somewhere, nobody is giving ya one unless ya pay big time in trade assets or FA money.

Dub is good enough to move forward as long as we have a 1B to spell him off.

as for overrating him, his postioning and size are so good that many shots are saves vs kipper who's got to show spectacular reflex for the same save. your not giving him enough credit for his size and positioning period. The bone-head easy one's he gives up can be fixed with less shots/overworked nature of our Team the last few years. He is not a workhorse like kipper...

Old
04-02-2013, 01:59 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuswald View Post
The Oilers will have no cap space in two years or sooner. Even with Horcoff earning less we will have 6 guys using up $36 million and thats if Yak, Nuge and Gagner average $6mil.. And that only includes one defense. Add Dubnyk at 3.5 Smid at 3.5 Petry at 3.5 Horcoff at 2.5 Total $49 million dollars (this doesn't include Hemsky Whitney N Shultz Jones or even Pjaarvi) and we still need

6 forwards (hopefully Pjaarvi and Jones)
3 defense (hopefully N Schultz [yes, N Schultz])
1 goalie or backup
1 spare player

Makes things tight.
The cap will go up as has been the trend since the last lockout. With the Phoenix situation coming to an end this season (9th year in a row they've said that I know) moving them to a place where they'll likely be profitable can have a huge impact on the NHL's revenues and therefore the cap. I don't think we'll have cap issues going forward. Losing guys like Whitney, Khabibulin, Hemsky (maybe), Horcoff (either gone or signs for less) plus the rise in the cap can pay for raises.

Old
04-02-2013, 02:02 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

If Dubnyk keeps playing like he has been this season... stealing a game here and there... solid in most... stinking in a few. That's good enough for me. That's legit starter territory at the NHL level. I'd love to have Hasek in net but that's not realistic.

Maybe they should have taken a shot at a Fasth type backup/co-starter (maybe they did try and just didn't get him)... but I'm happy that they are giving Dubnyk a good workload this season to see if he can hold up and prove he's a #1 goalie.

He has his flaws... goes down to his knees too often in my view when he should be standing up and using his size more but every goalie has flaws... and like it's been noted, he's keeping out ~92% of shots and no reason to think that won't continue or possibly even improve if the Oilers improve their defensive abilities.

They give up 33+ shots per game (2nd worst in the NHL at the moment) and you can't tell me that along with that increased workload there aren't more tough saves as well. Realistically you can't say his stickhandling and rebound control is the main reason for them giving up the most shots in the league. That comes down to the team as well.

Long story short... he's been decent all season, REALLY good early on, average in the middle and now turning it up again. He's far, far from the biggest issue on this team and in fact has been one of the bright spots on the Oilers this season.

nexttothemoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 02:02 PM
oilexport

How bout we worry about all the obvious holes on our Team and use our assets to fill them first ???

Dubynk is not a hole like the Center position (Smyth??) or the small top six ??? or the suspect Defence ?? give me a break.

He is average or better, fill some other needs which includes a back-up prospect or young Goalie which may develop into your much wanted superstar goalie...

Old
04-02-2013, 02:04 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
I will agree on bringing in another Goalie to compliment Dub as he is not a superstar and we need to develop one cause it can make up for a lot, it's a huge position. Unless ya get lucky and find a Kipper as third string somewhere, nobody is giving ya one unless ya pay big time in trade assets or FA money.

as for overrating him, his postioning and size are so good that many shots are saves vs kipper who's got to show spectacular reflex for the same save. your not giving him enough credit for his size and positioning period. The bone-head easy one's he gives up can be fixed with less shots/overworked nature of our Team the last few years. He is not a workhorse like kipper...
I think one of the biggest criticisms of Dubnyk has been his deficiency in making big saves when we need them over the course of the last two seasons. He'll get peppered and make a lot of routine saves, but when we're up by a goal and need to kill a penalty, he'll let in a softie or when we're down and an opposition player gets a breakaway he won't stop it. It's these kinds of plays that can turn a game around to our advantage.

Yesterday and on Saturday Dubnyk made those key saves when we needed them. When that is coupled with the team playing a lot better in front of him, he looks like a legit starter.

Old
04-02-2013, 02:05 PM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

Quote:

The bonehead stuff should lessen. Seems a lot of goalies take years to mature. Look at how good Roli got and he was nearing retirement. I feel he will get better yet.

Also Dubnyk is actually quite quick, especially for a big guy.

fuswald is offline   Reply With Quote