HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Jaroslav Halak: Elite Goalie?

View Poll Results: Is Halak an elite goalie?
Yes 14 18.67%
No 61 81.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Where in the hell did you get that from? All I said is he has been given plenty of opportunities to take the reigns as the #1 and has failed each and every time either from injuries or poor play. As has been mentioned multiple times here, he's lost his starting job to the backup(and even the 3rd stringer this year) every season he's been here except his first(and that was because we had Ty Conklin as the back up).

You are factually wrong.

Halak played in 14 of the last 22 games in the last regular season. That is 63% of the games, which is what a #1 typically plays. Some starters play more than others of course. Halak may never play 70 games like Ward. But he can play 50-60 games per season. When Thomas did that no one complained(not comparing their skill sets).

Old
04-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Bluesgirl

but youre saying it like every game he plays - he fails. I personally think he only had a couple of bad games. He had some very good nights people seem to forget about ,but I guess thats what sucks about being a goalie. Everyone is blaming them and people remember the off games more than the good ones. I think the lockout affected the goalies the most, but hopefully after some time Jaro will prove that he is a very good goalie

Old
04-02-2013, 11:39 AM
ExJbeck

vCash: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker View Post
You are factually wrong.

Halak played in 14 of the last 22 games in the last regular season. That is 63% of the games, which is what a #1 typically plays. Some starters play more than others of course. Halak may never play 70 games like Ward. But he can play 50-60 games per season. When Thomas did that no one complained(not comparing their skill sets).
Dude, we watch him play. Hell I haven't missed but 2 game in 3 seasons and I can tell you that Halak has not been abundantly good or better then who ever else has been in net. Elliott and Allen both have been just as adequate as Halak. The amount of games he can play is irrelevant to how many he does play. They basically split time in the net all of last season and that was the exact plan for this season. Did that happen? Obviously not

Did we know Elliott was going to come in and light it up last season? No, but he did and played his way into starting more games. If Halak was so damn good or valuable, he would be consistently the #1 and never would have given Elliott or Allen the chance to take games away (when Halak was or is healthy). He hasn't been. Sorry to burst your bubble, but we don't cut people slack around here based off potential.

bluesgirl = Halak. do not be fooled.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:43 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 1598
Quote:
You are factually wrong.

How about checking the entire season where he played barely over half the games? Elliott stole his starting job after a couple of weeks last season(you know, all the way to the All Star Game). Halak earned his position back again towards the end of the season. Then in the playoffs, he got injured(though not his fault). Start of this season was Jaro/Elliott 1A 1B situation. Jaro gets injured, Elliott takes over and plays AWFUL. Simply terrible. So bad that we had to call up Jake Allen from the AHL. Allen takes off and steals the starting position from both of them for a couple of weeks. Then Jaro finally recovers from his groin injury and plays a couple of decent games. So we send Allen down after Jaro *****es to the media that it's difficult to get work in practice when there are 3 goalies. It's now Jaro's team. That message is loud and clear. He then gets injured once again, and now forces us to call Allen back up(more than likely). I want him to be that guy that played in the playoffs for Montreal, but he hasn't really shown that for extended periods here. His total body of work in St. Louis is that of a bottom rung starter, or high level back up.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Evgeny Oliker

Lol

Quote:
How about checking the entire season where he played barely over half the games? Elliott stole his starting job after a couple of weeks last season(you know, all the way to the All Star Game). Halak earned his position back again towards the end of the season. Then in the playoffs, he got injured(though not his fault). Start of this season was Jaro/Elliott 1A 1B situation. Jaro gets injured, Elliott takes over and plays AWFUL. Simply terrible. So bad that we had to call up Jake Allen from the AHL. Allen takes off and steals the starting position from both of them for a couple of weeks. Then Jaro finally recovers from his groin injury and plays a couple of decent games. So we send Allen down after Jaro *****es to the media that it's difficult to get work in practice when there are 3 goalies. It's now Jaro's team. That message is loud and clear. He then gets injured once again, and now forces us to call Allen back up(more than likely). I want him to be that guy that played in the playoffs for Montreal, but he hasn't really shown that for extended periods here. His total body of work in St. Louis is that of a bottom rung starter, or high level back up.
So he forces u to call up Allen? So halak got hurt on purpose, just to "force u" to call up Allen?

That makes zero sense. He pulled his groin. He has no control over that. Try playing goalie in NHL and see if u never get injured.

We can disagree about his play...but to blame him for getting injured?

Old
04-02-2013, 12:03 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
So he forces u to call up Allen? So halak got hurt on purpose, just to "force u" to call up Allen?

That makes zero sense. He pulled his groin. He has no control over that. Try playing goalie in NHL and see if u never get injured.

We can disagree about his play...but to blame him for getting injured?
I don't mean to be rude, but is English your first language? That's the only explanation I can come up with for how you could confuse the meaning of my posts so badly. Jaro getting injured, forces us to call up Jake Allen. We need 2 goalies on the roster. If Jaro is unable to play(which appears to be the case), we need to have another goalie. Jake Allen is the next best goaltender in our organization, so we will call him up. Jaro getting injured, forces us to call someone up. Where did I imply Halak got injured on purpose?

Old
04-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Evgeny Oliker

I understand u now.

Halak will be back and will rebound.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:18 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
I understand u now.

Halak will be back and will rebound.
Everyone here hopes the same.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:38 PM
BlueDream

Yes, Halak is elite at being soft.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:56 PM
BleedinBlueSince1972
More Cowbell!!!

vCash: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Yes, Halak is elite at being soft.
And whining about teamates, giving up big fat juicy rebounds, getting injured, and terrible goals.

Old
04-02-2013, 06:03 PM
france62

This thread is quite sad actually

Old
04-02-2013, 07:44 PM
ToniJ1960

vCash: 50
First off I am going to say I am of course disappointed with the way things have gone with or for Halak so far as a St Louis Blue.

It does seem odd however, for a goalie with no decent skill, or ability to play as an elite goaltender has tied the Blues record for shutouts by playing only about half the games in just a few seasons.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:01 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 1691
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniJ1960 View Post
First off I am going to say I am of course disappointed with the way things have gone with or for Halak so far as a St Louis Blue.

It does seem odd however, for a goalie with no decent skill, or ability to play as an elite goaltender has tied the Blues record for shutouts by playing only about half the games in just a few seasons.
Not really odd. The Blues haven't had that great of goaltenders in the past. Sure Fuhr Nd Joseph were good but they played in an era of higher scoring. Since 00 we really haven't had a goalie that could really take us anywhere.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:10 PM
stlblues9

Quote:

As bad as Halak has been this season, I strongly disagree with the bolded. I think he played as an elite goalie with Montreal, I think he played an an elite goalie with Slovakia, and I think he played as an elite goalie with St. Louis last year. His problem is he needs someone to push him to be better, he needs that motivation or he is just an average goalie.

He's the goalie version of Doughty. Average when the games have no meaning and then goes to that extra gear when it's crunch time.

Also how long is he out for, I need to know what to do with him in fantasy hockey.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:29 PM
ToniJ1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
As bad as Halak has been this season, I strongly disagree with the bolded. I think he played as an elite goalie with Montreal, I think he played an an elite goalie with Slovakia, and I think he played as an elite goalie with St. Louis last year. His problem is he needs someone to push him to be better, he needs that motivation or he is just an average goalie.

He's the goalie version of Doughty. Average when the games have no meaning and then goes to that extra gear when it's crunch time.

Also how long is he out for, I need to know what to do with him in fantasy hockey.

I shouldve made it clear, I wasnt suggesting that was true.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:30 PM
ToniJ1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Not really odd. The Blues haven't had that great of goaltenders in the past. Sure Fuhr Nd Joseph were good but they played in an era of higher scoring. Since 00 we really haven't had a goalie that could really take us anywhere.
Mike Liut?

Old
04-02-2013, 10:57 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Mike Liut?
He played through the high scoring 80s.

Old
04-03-2013, 12:32 AM
ToniJ1960

Quote:
He played through the high scoring 80s.
Im fully aware I remember when they drove the Corvette out onto the ice to give to him

My mention of Liut was more to the first two sentences claiming the Blues hadnt had many good goaltenders, and the second sentence mentioning Joseph and Fuhr. It seemed wrong to not mention one of my favorites.

Old
04-03-2013, 07:45 AM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

I would lump Roman Turek in there and he did play here from 99-01

Old
04-03-2013, 07:50 AM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

ummm Glenn Hall?? best blues goaltender ever. won conn smythe while getting swept in the stanley cup i'm pretty sure

Old
04-03-2013, 08:28 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Since we are throwing out top goaltenders to play for the Blues...Jacques Plante.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:41 AM
BlueBeard

Quote:

In a historical sense there is a massive gap between what Glenn Hall did to set that shutout record in his mid to late 30's on an expansion team, and winning the Conn Smythe while being swept in the finals to what Halak did to tie it. If you put a goalie of Glenn Hall's caliber on the Pronger-MacInnis teams and I doubt the Blues are a cup-less franchise. What Hall and Plante did for the early years of this franchise should be be talked about much more than it is.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:44 AM
Falco Lombardi
LET'S GO BLUES

SMH at you people not listing Fred Braithwaite amongst all time great Blues goalies.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:08 AM
BleedinBlueSince1972
More Cowbell!!!

vCash: 1010
now we are getting somewhere. HOFersHall, Plante for sure. Liut, Joseph, and HOF Fuhr played in a higher scoring era agreed. Since Fuhr left in 1999, its been a revolving door of mediocrity ever since. And Liut is still the best goalie drafted by the Blues and that was 37 years ago. That's Absurd. Maybe Allen will change that.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:21 AM
BlueDream

I think it's hilarious some fanboys/fangirls are getting all upset with our fanbase for being too harsh on Halak. These types of things happen with every fanbase in every sport. Being "disappointed" with a fanbase for how they are "treating Halak" is one of the most absurd things I've ever heard. He's being treated just fine.

Closed Thread